• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you're Sony, what do you do with the Uncharted IP moving forward?

Elios83

The series will continue somehow.
As a publisher it would be idiotic to abandon one of their best selling series.
The alternatives are two: let Naughty Dog do other stuff for a while and turn back to it after a few years.
Give it to an other studio, even external through licensing.
Internally Bend has done a good work with Uncharted on Vita considering the technical limitations they had. Cambridge might be an other candidate.
Or give it to Kojima who seems to love the series :p

Let the franchise rest for the remainder of the PS4 generation and then look at rebooting it down the road with (Uncharted 4 Spoiler - End of game)
Nate and Elena's daughter, Cassie
as the main character.

I'd say give it to Sony Bend. They made an incredibly competent Uncharted game on vastly inferior hardware. Drop the Vita gimmicks from Golden Abyss and it's probably better than Drake's Fortune.

AmyS

If Sony haven't already, get ND to have an Uncharted 4 update ready for PS4K / PS4 Neo that runs at 60fps and other smaller graphical improvements, and a trailer for E3.

Skeeter49

Keep the IP contained, don't try to force a team to work on an Uncharted 5 because it'll sell well, only make a new Uncharted game if a team comes to you with an amazing pitch.

This doesn't count an Unkarted game, as Unkarted by default would be the best Uncharted game.

nillah

Banned
Let it die. The way I see it with tLoU and UC they have a solid format to pursue other characters, stories and even genres

Jawmuncher

Have games set with either
sam or the daughter]
. I honestly feel they set up the ending so they could do so.

More Pinball, some poker, a dash of Temple Run.
End Game spoilers in the spoiler tags, I shouldn't have to even say that but one would be surprised.
The obvious answer is the one offered at the end of the game.
Leave it alone. I think ND is the bigger brand here, not Uncharted.
Brillant, cross-brand promotion, Vicky the dog can be the star, "Man Vicky, we really ARE the Naughty Dog"

Uncharted: World of Thieves
Online Co-Op a la Division

Honestly though they should just let it be and have as an example for other franchises to follow *cough* Halo *cough* and *cough* Assassin's Creed *cough*.
I need to get this flu sorted out.

Hoo-doo

Banned
ND gets free reign to do whatever the fuck they want with it. If they want to make Savage Starlight for the next four years then that's what's going to happen. The IP can be revisited years down the line if there's new inspiration.

Sony might end up milking the franchise name for all it's worth down the line, but I think we can all hopefully agree that this is the last true Uncharted game.

It's the last story Naughty Dog wanted to share with us from the Uncharted world. The creators saying it's done should be a clear indicator that we are finished with Uncharted.

Here's to Sony leaving Uncharted untarnished.

2thepoint

Uncharted is now becoming the iconic Playstation franchise and Id say A Thief's End is going to do absolute huge, blockbuster numbers.

There is no way this franchise doesn't continue.

Naughty Dog has paid their due and can develop what they want.

I'd prefer a new Sony studio with some Naughty Dog top tier staff to continue the franchise - they could attract top tier talent just by being associated with Naughty Dog.

With the amount of money Playstation is making, its about time they actually opened some AAA studios instead of a lot of closures with some new things sprinkled in (North West Studio).

Here's to Sony leaving Uncharted untarnished.

zI28Rdv.jpg

Amen, brother

Morue

Let it die. ND are clearly done with the franchise and I wouldn't want another Uncharted not made by them...

I want it to become a service. Let ND make a platform for all things Uncharted and call it "The Uncharted Experience" it would have it's own client on pc and it's own hub sorta thing on ps4. They should release a f2p card game, an mmo with all the characters and locations you came to love from the uncharted universe but with lots of rng, a tennis game and a "Nathan Drake at the Summer Olympics in Brazil 1999 Edition".

Naughty Dog please deliver!!!!
please don't

Uncharted could always go into space! Visit uncharted planets filled with the ruins of ancient alien civilization. It's a race against time & space to beat your rival and grab the Infinity Stone hidden inside a cursed alien temple.

Its tough, you cant give it to another studio after nd if you dont wanna ruin the ip.

But you cant let it die either, cuz its ur best selling ip, killer app, helps move consoles etc.

If you make nd do it you will cripple their ability to continue with tlou, make new ip etc. And will probaby scare the talent away. Look what u4 alone did.

None of these options are great but i hope to god they dont go with the 3rd one

black070

I mean, Sony have left a lot of their IPs well alone so it's not unprecedented. I think after the success of The Last of Us, they'd be more inclined to invest on Naughty Dog then on a shat out sequel.

Kill it with fire. Don't go the MS way and keep grinding out the same 3 or 4 series year after year. I know sometimes new exclusives bomb, but that's how we get new and exciting series. On that note, let God of War go as well and find something new.

That's why Sony attracts me: at the end of PS2 we got God of War. At the end of PS3 it was Last Of Us. It's always something diffent. I don't want to see PS5 or PS6 with another version of the same, beaten to death series. The competition is already doing that.

Ushay

......... Did you not play 4 and beat it?

the epilogue introduces his daughter. She is already a junior treasure hunter at her young age and is very, very interested in ancient collectables. She finds Drake's book of information for lost treasure and the game closes with Drake telling his daughter his adventures. It's totally going to be her as the main in the next game.

I haven't played it but this is exactly what I would do. Create a new protagonist and start a new story, Nate's story has been exhausted I think.

UC4 had a perfect ending. Let the IP rest. Do some new shit. Don't milk it.

Good call, I'd let the franchise rest for a while.

Wollan

In five years allow one of the other 1st party studies (if they pitch to do it) carry the torch continuing Sam and Sully's adventures.
But not anytime soon please. It ended SO well. Let it rest.

FelipeMGM

Well... Spoilers for Uncharted 4 below

For me its pretty obvious that the DLC will be the with Sam & Sully going on that job they talk about it on the end. Prob in Brazil, since they mention the country a couple of times during the game, and Sully asks Sam if his Portuguese is on point. If this is well received, I can see they make Sam the protagonist for future games, they already shown he is pretty much Nathan in its abilities and we even play as him in Uncharted 4 for a bit. This would be the more imeddiate option, prob giving the IP to someone else or creating another team within ND just for Uncharted.

And of course the other option is Cassie, and I could see the main team at ND doing this like in 5 years or so, as their first project for the next Sony console (PS5 not PS4.5K Neo lol)

doofy102

Don't do anything with Uncharted. Give more money to Naughty Dog.

Don't depress me. Don't do what Disney did, don't make Toy Story 4.

Top Bottom