• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you're Sony, what do you do with the Uncharted IP moving forward?

Ydelnae

Give it a ~7 year rest and then come back with a new protagonist and focus on exploring/solving puzzles/platforming instead of shooting. I haven't played U4 yet, but after beating the trilogy I always thought it would be cool if there was an Uncharted game in which Nate was stuck in the same location, be it a castle or a pyramid, and had to solve puzzles and make his way through the treasure.

doofy102

Sony only gives their IP's to non-original devs when it's for handheld games, right?

I think they understand that only Naughty Dog can do Uncharted on consoles.

Illucio

Banned
Crossover The Last of Us and Uncharted for a Last of Us 3 crossover game that ends that series and sets up the events for a Jak and Dexter universe. (AKA Reboot)

IvorB

I'm sure Naughty Dog will move on. But not Sony. It's their biggest IP. I hope it goes to GTA model where we get 1 game every generation.

Well I hope they will have the restraint to leave it and move on. A mainline Uncharted made by another studio would be sad and tragic for all concerned and I would feel bad for whichever studio would try to do it. I don't think it's their biggest IP anyway (Gran Turismo maybe?) and it's something that only started last gen so it's not such a stretch to think they could come up with something new and successful to take its place.

Well I hope they will have the restraint to leave it and move on. A mainline Uncharted made by another studio would be sad and tragic for all concerned and feel bad for whichever studio would try to do it. I don't think it's their biggest IP anyway (Gran Turismo maybe?) and it's something that only started last gen so it's not such a stretch to think they could come up with something new and successful to take its place.

If Sony continues Uncharted, it's not because they can't come up with something new/successful to takes its place.

It's that they want to have that "something new" while keeping that "something old" rolling.

Let it rest a few years. Then for PS5 I would not mind another Uncharted game. Without Nathan et Elena as protagonists, but either:

Chloe & Cutter
Sully in his young days
(Uncharted 4 spoiler)
The character introduced towards the end

Spoilers:

Well even with everything that happened in the story, I still think Nate was born for the treasure hunter lifestyle and still loves it but ND made it clear that this was his last adventure for real this time.

I'm not really interested in playing any future Uncharteds with Nates daughter cause right now it feels like I would just be playing it cause it's Nates daughter, I don't feel any particular reason to embark on that Journey.

Sam on the other hand I'm all for that. When he wasn't be a dick, I kinda liked Sam more than Nate cause he was honest about his passion for treasure hunting and plus he's very similar to Nate with the witty jokes and stuff, plus I'd love to go on adventures with Sam after him missing the last 15 years

After completing the game and thinking about how it compares to Tlou, there's really no game like Uncharted. Taking you around the world looking for secret treasures, solving puzzles, platforming and the history aspect. I hope it never ends

They should just leave it be for a few years. If they want to revisit it down the line then so be it, but for now, it's wrapped up nicely.

Sande

Let's face it, Uncharted was never anything special as an IP. Generic adventure dude does generic adventure stuff. Naughty Dog made it work and I don't know if many other studios can pull it off.

Of course it would work phenomenally as a cash grab at least once.

Btw, I don't really see the
daughter
angle for a sequel. That undermines U4 quite heavily. They went so hard on the "this is not a life you want to have. Get out before your luck runs out and you die over some trinkets".
Nate and Sam got into the wrong side of that biz largely because they were abandoned. I don't see how Nate and Elena would let the same happen to their child.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I see people saying let the franchise rest a bit.

Do you all not realize that there was a four and a half year gap between UC3 and UC4?

How much of a break does something need?

If 4 shows its on an awesome sales trajectory compared to 1, 2 and 3 - give it to Bend or San Diego, staff em up and hope for the best.

Either way, Naughty Dog makes hits. No need to hang on to it.

Uncharted is Nathan Drake and it's Naughty Dog. Without either, is there a future for this franchise to succeed? I feel like Sony is in a really tough spot here. No matter who they give the IP to next, that studio is going to be heavily scrutinized because they're not ND. Would it make business sense to consider selling the IP and let another publisher worry about that? or maybe just sit on it and reboot it after a decade and hopefully by then fans will be more receptive to a new studio and a new cast of characters?

What would you do with the IP?

I'd hand over the ip to Ready at Dawn. Now hear me out before you say that's a terrible idea. May be it is may be it is not? Ready At Down were passed the torch to handle God of War on portable platform of PlayStation the PSP. And hands down even to this day God of War Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta are some of the finest GOW games ever made, heck even Sony Santa Monica openly acknowledges that they still find Ghost of Sparta a better GOW game than all their games.

Now Ready at Dawn already they have got their crazy good CGI like tech for the PS4 courtesy of Order 1886. Not sure what kind of trouble they faced to put out a good game from game design/level design/gameplay side of things in Order 1886. Give them the chance with Uncharted and they would shine. The studio is talented and passionate bunch of folks who deserve another shot at PS4/home console.

Freeman

Banned
Not played 4 yet. I would let another studio do an Uncharted featuring Francis Drake, maybe have a few ND people form a new studio for it or have Ready at Dawn give it a shot with some support from ND.

Uncharted 5: Among Pirates & Uncharted 6: Drake's Legacy.

Interesting period and aesthetics, shake up in the formula, naval battles, sword fighting, primitive fire arms, locations with distinct cultures.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I haven't played Uncharted 4 yet but I'd just make that the last game. They are great games but really there isn't much more they can do before it gets seriously stale. By the time I got to Uncharted 3 I felt like "just more of the same then?". Enough is enough.

Naughty Dog are amazing developers and they really should move onto a new IP at this point. Uncharted series has been great. Make something new now or continue another IP like TLOU.

JP

Hopefully Sony won't have anything to do with it and it's left to Naught Dog to do what they want wit the game and when they want to do it.

Scrawnton

Just beat the game. I'd not make any new uncharted games for a while, at least until PS5. And even then, I'd give it a different name and have it go over the missions that Sam and Sully go on.

I think the name needs to be done. If they want to return to the universe, have it be something familiar but new. And please, not
Drake's daughter. A game about her would ruin what was so great about the ending of the game. I can't see a realistic world where she goes off on murdering spree adventures when she has two loving parents that are teaching her their history of that life and how dangerous it was

Shift it into a film franchise.

Step 1.) Hire the guy Disney passed up on to play Nathan Drake.

tumblr_inline_nyqu1p5Nke1t2ear7_1280.jpg

Step 2.) Make a bunch more films.

Why would they ever sell that IP? The series is done and left just enough to possibly come back to it in the distant future.

Naughty Dog deserve to bow out gracefully after 9 years of hard work on creating one of the best gaming series and imo, the best IP from last generation.

Best wishes.

You don't.
You let in go and move forward, only time you bring back drake is fan service for stuff like playstation allstars.

I as a fan would appreciate it if they did not milk everything until it is no longer relevant.

Juxo

Most likely route would be Drake's child taking his place. Possibly something with aliens!
Because, why not?

ps3ud0

Ive not played 4 yet, but Id love a younger Victor Sullivan game - he could fit in the Indiana Jones era quite nicely. Maybe based on 50s Hong Kong...

ps3ud0 8)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It ended perfectly for me so I don't care what they do with it. Unless ND is developing it I won't bother.

Harmen

I would love a story structure of a modern time (new) character uncovering an ancient civilization like the current UC games, but with frequent chapters taking place in the past as well. I think an interplay between them can lead to some great cliffhangers.

......... Did you not play 4 and beat it?

the epilogue introduces his daughter. She is already a junior treasure hunter at her young age and is very, very interested in ancient collectables. She finds Drake's book of information for lost treasure and the game closes with Drake telling his daughter his adventures. It's totally going to be her as the main in the next game.

Personally, I don't think that is the purpose of the ending at all. The purpose is the parralel drawn with
Evelyns story
. Sure, it would be possible, but I don't think it is a good direction to take the series into.

If they really need an existing character, they can do Sam, young Nate (preferably neither of the Drakes), young Sully, Evelyn,
Cassandra
(maybe the last two together, a bit like Nate and Sully?).
. Hell, they can even go in a bold new direction and take the series further into the past.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If this is a discussion on the roster, there's plenty of things they can do:

1. Make an Uncharted game with a new cast of characters.
2. Have a game starring (UC4 ending spoiler)
Sam and Sully.
3. Have a game set in the past starring Sully. Alternatively, a game set in the past with (UC4 spoiler)
the Drakes' mother
as the lead.
4. "Uncharted Raider" starring Chloe.
5. An Uncharted game with Chloe and Cutter.
6. Set the game in the future and have it star (UC4 ending spoiler)
Nate and Elena's daughter.
7. Just bring back Nathan Drake for the next game. Nothing says he can't return.

......... Did you not play 4 and beat it?

the epilogue introduces his daughter. She is already a junior treasure hunter at her young age and is very, very interested in ancient collectables. She finds Drake's book of information for lost treasure and the game closes with Drake telling his daughter his adventures. It's totally going to be her as the main in the next game.

along with her half Asian half Mexican wife and both will be on the cover without guns but a knife in the neck of patriarchy
But I kid, next game shall be top if it's about
Cassie struggling to find a actual ruin that her parents already didn't find

Top Bottom