• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - "If you're a Nintendo fan, you should probably stay up tonight." [Mario Kart 8]

Let's not forget this little event:
ZyDwGrP.jpg

I do like how broad the term "Nintendo Fan" is. As if the same audience that is pining for Metroid Prelude/Starfox Cosmos/F-Zero XX is the same audience that has an blissful aneurysm over new Mario Kart items.

There is a liiiiiittttlllleeee bit of a divide, don't cha know.

The portion of the mario kart audience following the game pre-release definitely overlaps pretty hard with the potential audience for those games. The families that helped mario kart wii set sales records weren't gazing longingly at pre-release trailers.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They really should have the decency to specify if it is 3DS Nintendo fans for Wii U Nintendo fans.

I hope it isn't any negative news. I recall the last "surprising news for Wii U owners" was Rayman Legends getting ported and delayed by seven months. But this may not be Wii U related at all. It just says Nintendo. It could be 3DS. Or Nintendo in general. Whatever it is, hopefully it is good news.
edit: Mario Kart? As much as I love Mario, I would have preferred something different. I would love some new Nintendo IPs. Although I am hyped for Mario Kart 8! Maybe they will release it early digitally like Wind Waker?

AdanVC

What the hell? Why are you guys are already getting dissapointed. It's Mario Kart 8, come on!! We already know that megatons and reveals are only on Nintendo Directs not on press previews.

kirblar

Been hoping they'd finally switch to "Nintendo Kart" (a la Smash) but doubt they're taking that step this year.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The only thing that would warrant this type of hyped announcement would be:

1) Wii U to be discontinued
2) Iwata to resign
3) 1) and 2)
4) Nintendo going 3rd party
5) Nintendo buys IGN
6) Nintendo buys NeoGAF
7) 5) and 6)
8) New Wii U model announced
9) Pokemon MMO
10) Wii U Metroid
11) 9) and 10)

Shinta

Banned
If it was Nintendo Kart Transformed, the hype would be justified. Oh well.

I'm still excited I guess. I was going to be up anyway :/ and I already paid for MK8, which looks pretty damn amazing.

AmyS

Since last E3, Kart 8 is the best looking game I've seen on the U so far.

60fps and 720p HD.

Kart 8 and that Kickstarter game, The 90's Arcade Racer, are my two reasons to get the console this year.

Mario Kart 8, eh? I imagine it's just a full character/track list. I'd gamble that Sonic is included, and therefore this news = hype worthy. By IGN standards.

Oersted

Dunno why, but I'm imagining a unlockable video in Mario Kart where Cranky is beating Captain Falcon into a bloody mess. Guess I shouldn't have watched TV.

FluxWaveZ

The only thing that would warrant this type of hyped announcement would be:

1) Wii U to be discontinued
2) Iwata to resign
3) 1) and 2)
4) Nintendo going 3rd party
5) Nintendo buys IGN
6) Nintendo buys NeoGAF
7) 5) and 6)
8) New Wii U model announced
9) Pokemon MMO
10) Wii U Metroid