• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN interview with FF15 director

“It’s very true, we’re similarly trying to create a more realistic feel to the world and a more realistic Final Fantasy,”

“I think the balance presented in Final Fantasy X, between the freedom it offered and its limitations, that was quite well done,” he muses. “But for 15 we’re very much trying to make a big expansive open world and in a way move back to that more primitive, more visceral, direct emotional satisfaction you get from just walking around the world and exploring, finding new areas and things.

“When I ask the fans and the media what their favourite Final Fantasy game is, I want them all to say ‘it’s 15’,”

More in the article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/27/final-fantasy-15-marks-the-start-of-a-realistic-new-chapter

DarkKyo

FF15 is suddenly getting a ton of coverage it feels like. It's nice to know it's finally far enough into development that they can show off a lot of different gameplay segments and areas.

This game is going to deliver #Believe.

I believe! For a long time I was really worried this game was vaporware. When I met Jason Schreir from Kotaku at PAX in 2014, I remember asking him if he though Final Fantasy XV was really going to come out. Ever since TGS 2014 my fears have been quelled, and I am now in the position of choosing to go on a media blackout so that I get to experience it as freshly as possible. From what I saw before cutting myself off, I am confident this is going to be glorious. Maybe it won't top VI, but I'm sure it will be one of my favorites.

“When I ask the fans and the media what their favourite Final Fantasy game is, I want them all to say ‘it’s 15’,”

all i want is a game at least as good as ffxii. anything more than that will be gravy :) ...

People used to say the same about XIII, just saying.

Nah, I'm sure it's going to be a good entry! I'm not saying it's going to be the best FF ever but it will be highly enjoyable.. I dare to say best FF since FFX (MMO's don't count they're good as well)

Corgi

Banned
they seem to be saying all the right things.

make or break of the game is how it plays. Have they talked at all about AI options/controls?

FF15 is suddenly getting a ton of coverage it feels like. It's nice to know it's finally far enough into development that they can show off a lot of different gameplay segments and areas.

After waiting for 9~ish years, it's really nice to have consistent coverage.

Gotta keep expectations in check, no matter the hype. I'm cautiously optimistic. Hopefully it will be a return to form for single player Final Fantasy games. If not... at ARR:FFXIV is making most fans happy!

I can't see this being the best, but I hope it'll turn out good. I disagree with his comment about FFX, though. It was terrible balance. Far too limited.

Squire

Banned
Their comments on the open-world never sound convincing. They try to spin that as being a way to throwback to the older games, but in truth it's there because it's popular. Other AAA teams are doing it and a mainstream audience expects it.

Ralemont

not me
I hope so =D

It's impossible. God, Buddha, and Odin could all meet up after playing the game and agree that it deserves to be held above their heads and still the FF fanbase will have a section that hates on it.

We're talking about the Final Fantasy fanbase, here. And videogame fanbases in general I suppose.

I understand the point you're making.

That said, to be fair, Kitase had a pretty damn solid track record going into XIII and many people still had faith that Toriyama could deliver after his work on FFX. FFX-2 was pretty divisive, but at the time it wasn't enough to be too concerned with the guy. News of Tsuchida doing the battle direction and Hamauzu finally getting his first solo mainline FF score created a lot of understandable hype.

Unfortunately as a whole the game didn't deliver on its potential, but I'm still convinced one of the primary reasons for that was that the project simply needed more time.

FFXV seems to have a stronger connected focus via the design staff and apparently is getting plenty of time to cook. FFXIV has given me enough faith that just maybe the days of garbage upper management on FF projects might be over.
Then again- I'm an eternal optimist. ;)

With the ridiculous time it's taken to get this thing out... at this point they would have been lucky to make something that people generally felt that was worth the ludicrous wait, but attaching a stigma like that to it is going to do nothing but raise expectations even higher, and they were already fighting an uphill battle. Not a very smart thing to say. Let the game speak for itself. I hope that wish is indeed granted, but that's skating on some really thin ice.

FFXII's basic world design but with a stronger narrative drive behind your party's actions (as seen in FFX, where just about every single boss fight ties into the story) would have been nearly perfect (though, as always, the particulars of a battle/ability system are always going to come down to being a matter of taste). I'm cautiously excited for the potential that FFXV looks to have.
And it did so no problems here.

More of a miscarriage than a successful delivery.

Go_Ly_Dow

Would say XIII never invoked the same confidence in the project (staff, concept, footage etc...) As Versus/XV.

It was cleverly marketed all the way up until the Japanese release to make us believe it had towns, gimmicks and wasn't so linear.

Their comments on the open-world never sound convincing. They try to spin that as being a way to throwback to the older games, but in truth it's there because it's popular. Other AAA teams are doing it and a mainstream audience expects it.

Either way, old school ff fans and open world lovers win.

Plus that open world style is something they've done in the past so they can atleast bring that knowledge and experience to the new titles.

Would say XIII never invoked the same confidence in the project (staff, concept, footage etc...) As Versus/XV.

It was cleverly marketed all the way up until the Japanese release to make us believe it had towns, gimmicks and wasn't so linear.

For me the reason XIII never invoked the same confidence is because the trailers for Versus were always so much better.

But it's dumb to say this won't deliver because of XIII.

If KH was bad, if CC or Type-0 were bad, then sure, but the two directors already proved themselves to be extremely competent.

Tabata is doing some mistakes (big ones), but there's a lot there, they can easily make this a great game.

Jeels

Im not going to get hyped but just the lack of Toriyama is enough for me to feel hopeful for this game. Regardless, I have XIV to continue getting my Final Fantasy fix.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Out of curiosity which staff are you referring to?

The old senior staff for Versus XIII has largely left the company or moved on to other projects and been replaced by Type-0 people.

Most Tabata's games are decent to good, but they are also quite flawed. So I have a hard timing believing his team can create one of the best FF games.

The game is looking fine, but It dosn't scream to me "best FF game evar".

Most Tabata's games are decent to good, but they are also quite flawed. So I have a hard timing believing his team can create one of the best FF games.

What kind of flaws? Since most of the creative aspect seems to have still come from the older versus team, especially Nomura, nojima, and Naora.

But we also havent seen much. We have seen the demo. pretty much most of the marketing has been for the demo. Not the actual full game.

Kikujiro

It was pretty normal, no?
I mean both FFX and FFXII were pretty popular and well-received, expecting a new mainline FF to deliver was the rule.

FFXV is coming after a trilogy that left a bad taste and after a generation where S-E did more wrong than right. There's still a lot of skepticism surrounding the game (some justified, some not), but I think they're doing a great job trying to sell the game on its own merits rather than empty promises. This is why Tabata is following Yoshida's steps: the monthly active time report, the constant interaction with fans (I don't remember a FF director flying to so many game conventions and interacting with the fans), less PR talk, no more mega closed theater. I don't know if the game will be a masterpiece, but I like people that are proud and passionate about their works so I have faith in Tabata and the rest of the team.

Fair enough. This is a lot different from anything he has done before though, and a lot of the foundation is not necessarily his. This is much more in line with FFXII though in terms of being a genuinely ambitious game.

What kind of flaws? Since most of the creative aspect seems to have still come from the older versus team, especially Nomura, nojima, and Naora.

But we also havent seen much. We have seen the demo. pretty much most of the marketing has been for the demo. Not the actual full game.

For example, Crisis Core combat system was subpar and it's sidequest design was totally shit.

And similarly, I heard mixed impressions from Type 0, seems like the consensus is that is a good FF but also far from perfect.

It's true we haven't saw much, but just saying that he and his team already worked on a few games, and they aren't exactly stellar.

For example, Crisis Core combat system was subpar and it's sidequest design was totally shit.

And similarly, I heard mixed impressions from Type 0, seems like the consensus is that is a good FF but also far from perfect.

It's true we haven't saw much, but just saying that he and his team already worked on a few games, and they aren't exactly stellar.

Worth noting psp games btw.

not confident in this game. Nomura left suddenly after working for so long on the project, i don't know anything about him, maybe he is a perfectionist and that caused too many delays or what..but Square should have been clear on why he left.

Nah, I'm sure it's going to be a good entry! I'm not saying it's going to be the best FF ever but it will be highly enjoyable.. I dare to say best FF since FFX (MMO's don't count they're good as well)

That suggests that it'll be better than FFXII. While I'm looking forward to FFXV more than any other game, that's a high bar to set. I still believe XII to be one of the best games in the franchise.

cackhyena

not confident in this game. Nomura left suddenly after working for so long on the project, i don't know anything about him, maybe he is a perfectionist and that caused too many delays or what..but Square should have been clear on why he left.
Um, I'll take anyone over Nomura at this point.

How does that matter?

Psp hardware limitations probably limited the intended scope of the game and yet he did the most he could which resulted in fun games. I mean Crisis Core and Type-0 games are fun imo. Maybe my thinking is flawed but how I can probably judge someone who's only directed portable titles and hasn't done a proper console title? So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now, I think I'm being fair.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Psp hardware limitations probably limited the intended scope of the game and yet he did the most he could which resulted in fun games. I mean Crisis Core and Type-0 games are fun imo. Maybe my thinking is flawed but how I can probably judge someone who's only directed portable titles and hasn't done a proper console title? So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now, I think I'm being fair.

PSP was close to PS2 level of hardware though. Crisis Core and Type-0 are pretty much console-level titles that just happened to be playable on handheld.

Hiko

Banned

What's so special about FFXV's staff? They made Type-0 and Crisis Core. Not exactly classics.

Ganondorfo

I dont think the hardcore Final Fantasy 1-6 fans will be convinced that FFXV will be their favorite just because of the design and characters.

I am glad we are finally getting a Final Fantasy again that will be great again, its been a while.

wmlk

PSP was close to PS2 level of hardware though. Crisis Core and Type-0 are pretty much console-level titles that just happened to be playable on handheld.

Not really. Heck, some people couldn't even play the game properly because they had to use the "claw" controller scheme to actually play the game. That's the reason why I didn't finish the game.

Not to mention they're missing six forms of input, and this isn't even including the analog stick. It's obvious how important the number of inputs become in an action game.

They also didn't have the highest order of programmers for Type-0 and Crisis Core. They do now for FFXV since it's a mainline game acting as the foundation for their new engine. PSP was nowhere close to PS2 level. Heck, Persona 3 Portable had to become a visual novel in essence and that was nowhere near being the most demanding PS2 game.

The limitations clearly undermined the game. Tabata himself said he'd like to make a console style game, but it was his decision to make an accessible game for PSP. It was clearly a different approach bottlenecked by the limitations. Now, he actually has an opportunity to make a legit console game.

What's so special about FFXV's staff? They made Type-0 and Crisis Core. Not exactly classics.

Two of the best PSP games. Hardware-wise and gameplay-wise they put out games that were better (and more competent) than even the stuff 1st parties made. Story (for XV) was made by the KH team (Nomura/Nojima). And art/design is being handled by both FF veterans and KH veterans.

So yeah, they are basically on the same level as Toriyama, XV will be shit...

cackhyena

1121699683.png

Geg

Two of the best PSP games. Hardware-wise and gameplay-wise they put out games that were better (and more competent) than even the stuff 1st parties made. Story (for XV) was made by the KH team (Nomura/Nojima). And art/design is being handled by both FF veterans and KH veterans.

So yeah, they are basically on the same level as Toriyama, XV will be shit...

Is any of the old KH team still working on the gameplay aspect of XV? Or is that all Tabata's team now

Top Bottom