• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN interview with FF15 director

KoopaTheCasual

Your pessimism is palpable. :)

I'm still hoping that the demo isn't complete shit.

Even if it's good, I walked away from the FFXIII demo thinking it would be a spectacular game, and it wasn't. It was an OK game, a sup-par "Final Fantasy".

Let's see if a happy accident comes along and makes FFXV everything we really want it to be.
Oh, I don't think Kagari is trying to take a jab about FFXV's quality with the whole Nomura/Tabata thing. I think she's mearly highlighting that Nomura was done super dirty by being suddenly kicked from the project. It didn't seem like a natural/smooth transition at all.

(IMO) It probably came down to how Nomura didn't want to make any concessions about the game's design, since it's his dream project. They probably booted him to get things to proceed as rapidly as they are.

tensuke

People used to say the same about XIII, just saying.

And it was decent, all things considered. But please don't try and deflate my hype Kagari. XV will be great.

edit: besides, there's no toriyama, so it already will be better than XIII regardless.

sublimit

Banned
And it was decent, all things considered. But please don't try and deflate my hype Kagari. XV will be great.

edit: besides, there's no toriyama, so it already will be better than XIII regardless.

I don't think XV could have been worse than XIII even if they tried.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
they wanna give us a constant stream of info as opposed to a single new trailer every 2 years and 2-3 magazine interviews lol

The demo is out in a few weeks so they're promoting that.
They're taking on the philosophy used by games like FFXIV, Bravely Default etc which did various streams/info dumps 1-2 years before release.

wmlk

The demo is out in a few weeks so they're promoting that.
They're taking on the philosophy used by games like FFXIV, Bravely Default etc which did various streams/info dumps 1-2 years before release.

At some point it becomes too much. But I guess games like Watch_Dogs and Destiny did well so it obviously works well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
At some point it becomes too much. But I guess games like Watch_Dogs and Destiny did well so it obviously works well.

Well like I said before I think a 2 month or so gap between streams would be better. People were getting sick of Destiny and Watch_Dogs after they started over-saturating coverage.

Go_Ly_Dow

Well like I said before I think a 2 month or so gap between streams would be better. People were getting sick of Destiny and Watch_Dogs after they started over-saturating coverage.

Was so irritating seeing them take up considerable conference time at major gaming events for like a year!

damn co-marketing dealings

Squire

Banned
Yeah I am really excited we won't see Destiny this year!

We will though, because of the DLC.

Destiny is intended to be a long tail experience and Sony is going to want to keep up the brands association with PS. Besides, they already said from the start they're in it for the longhual.

Destiny will be a mainstay in Sony pressers this gen the same way CoD has always been in MS pressers from MW2 onward.

We will though, because of the DLC.

Destiny is intended to be a long tail experience and Sony is going to want to keep up the brands association with PS. Besides, they already said from the start they're in it for the longhual.

Destiny will be a mainstay in Sony pressers this gen the same way CoD has always been in MS pressers from MW2 onward.

Well I don't think we will see it at the actual press conference but it will probably have a presence on the floor and stuff. I don' think there would be anything substantial enough to put in the actual conference.

Anyways we are getting off track here, but I really hope we get a juicy trailer for XV at E3.

Squire

Banned
Well I don't think we will see it at the actual press conference but it will probably have a presence on the floor and stuff. I don' think there would be anything substantial enough to put in the actual conference.

Anyways we are getting off track here, but I really hope we get a juicy trailer for XV at E3.

It's going to be in the press conference, same as CoD.

Koozek

Re: airship: people also keep bringing up the airship without remembering that despite being transportation all over the world map, it didn't bring you everywhere. Everything from mountain ranges restricting movement (FFIII) to not being able to land on forests/sand (and having an entire continent covered with forests e.g.) still helped define what you could or couldn't do with an airship. In many ways the world maps of final fantasy were very restricted and opened up in an almost metroidvania way (lol) depending on which world map vehicles you had access to.

However if Tabata is saying "we're still considering it" it's either likely that that kind on utility-esque metroidvania gating isn't written into the story, or they have a Plan B should airship navigation not pan out due to technical limitations.

Probably I shouldn't say any more on the subject though. Internet and mis-quoting and jumping to conclusions and all that.

"The Composer of Lightning Returns Confirms FFXV Being a Metroidvania"

wmlk

Well maybe to us who keep track of every development. The sales of those games suggest otherwise, though. They did astoundingly well and I think the marketing blitz was a big reason for it.

Exactly so. Open world format is fine as long as it's a vessel for a linear story.

Open worlds where the designers are just "we'll leave it to the players to make believe it's a good game", that's what I really dislike.

Yeah i agree. Xenoblade tells an open world story pretty well. and Xenoblade X probably will too. It's jsut the majority of open world games tend to lose sight of the main story. FF12 actually had some issues with this where you would go hours and hours without much story. FF12 had a good story but the pacing was bad. I just hope FF15 stays more o ntrack like FFX did, while giving us freedom if we want it. Hopefully they find the right balance, as it's very tough to achieve both a focused story and giving the player proper amounts of freedom at the right time.

Yeah i agree. Xenoblade tells an open world story pretty well. and Xenoblade X probably will too. It's jsut the majority of open world games tend to lose sight of the main story. FF12 actually had some issues with this where you would go hours and hours without much story. FF12 had a good story but the pacing was bad. I just hope FF15 stays more o ntrack like FFX did, while giving us freedom if we want it. Hopefully they find the right balance, as it's very tough to achieve both a focused story and giving the player proper amounts of freedom at the right time.

The car seems to be the tool to help them achieve this. Since it is on the rails, it will give us the freedom once we get to spots but really help us moving the story along.

Rising_Hei

People used to say the same about XIII, just saying.

You were the gaffer with the most hype towards FFXIII back then

I think SE's been learning from their mistakes, tho, and we don't have Toriyama in our XV :p

As for Tabata, he didn't have the resources he does have now, this game is 100 times more ambitious than anything he's done before... we should have some hope in him.

Go_Ly_Dow

The car seems to be the tool to help them achieve this. Since it is on the rails, it will give us the freedom once we get to spots but really help us moving the story along.

yeah.

kinda like when you decide to return to the car and continue forward with the story maybe you won't be able to return to the previous area's til the endgame content.

Top Bottom