• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Officially Reveals Multiplayer-Only Warhawk (WOWOWOWOW PS3)!

i like warhawkguys new haircut.
Indifferent2.gif

Draft

I think it's cool that Sony is pushing "real" games on their network and not just mini and casual games. I am a total Steam and will always download before doing the retail thing.

spwolf

ant1532 said:
:lol

So Summer. Sounds good. Wonder what they're going to price it at. I can see it go for 20-25

you do realize that Tekken 5 upscale costs $20 right? I cant see anything less than $40 for PSN. This is big production, big game...expensive.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
30 seems perfect to me, as I've said many times.

Anyways, IIRC there were rumors of this coming out in June. I think even jaffe mentioned june at one point.

BuddyC said:
Sony PR recently told Kotaku "Fall."
:( if true. fall is too far away.

Alias03

ant1532 said:
Not liking the in-game interface at all but the game itself looks pretty good.

When is this supposed to hit again? And it's not just one map is it?

I actually really like the UI in this game. Keeps important info at the very top of the screen with a nice map on the side and below that all the players on your team are listed in grey then light up to yellow when they are talking I assume. It will be nice to know who's talking without having to see the actually person.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I saw "IGN Officially Reveals...Silent Hill" and I furiously clicked on the thread.

:(

Alias03

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I saw "IGN Officially Reveals...Silent Hill" and I furiously clicked on the thread.

:(

:lol sorry about that!! I wish there was info on the next Silent Hill. That would make my year! Wollan Just play them all :)

Wollan

I totally dig the HUD. The bar ontop looks like something I would have expected to see on a monitor in a fighter plane (totally disregarding what kinda info the Warhawk one gives you). The map looks like it is using x-ray colors and the player list is very handy. The weapon selection system on the bottom left look pretty neat as well. I dig the HUD.

Gadeus

I really like the UI as well, but I could see TVs with overscan problems cutting off the entire top bar, which would be a pain in the ass. Hopefully they do something about that before release, that would be a very annoying problem if left as is.

methane47

spwolf said:
you do realize that Tekken 5 upscale costs $20 right? I cant see anything less than $40 for PSN. This is big production, big game...expensive.

Please note that Tekken 5 DR is a third party game.. WarHawk is a first party... $40 would be suicide...

Yoboman

spwolf said:
If that was the deal, they'd send it through retail instead.

Yoboman said:
If that was the deal, they'd send it through retail instead.

Huh, so they'll make the game cheaper because they're not sending it to retail? I think you're missing the point of Online Distribution here.

ant1532

Banned
SilentHill said:
I actually really like the UI in this game. Keeps important info at the very top of the screen with a nice map on the side and below that all the players on your team are listed in grey then light up to yellow when they are talking I assume. It will be nice to know who's talking without having to see the actually person.
I like the information thats on the screen just not the way it's being presented. It looks just like a PC game were they just throw on all the information on screen.

Yoboman

Littleberu said:
Huh, so they'll make the game cheaper because they're not sending it to retail? I think you're missing the point of Online Distribution here.
Online distribution allows for cheaper pricing simply because of its structure. You don't have to send it through retail chains and the costs involved with that are depleted. It can also be assumed that it'll be bought at a much higher quantity than in retail if it is given an efficient price and because all of the profit goes directly back to Sony, there is no reason it wouldn't be cheaper than an ordinary retail game. Even if it was a full scaled one, which they specifically said it wasn't - that it has been scaled back with a multiplayer only focus

Yoboman said:
Online distribution allows for cheaper pricing simply because of its structure. You don't have to send it through retail chains and the costs involved with that are depleted. It can also be assumed that it'll be bought at a much higher quantity than in retail if it is given an efficient price and because all of the profit goes directly back to Sony, there is no reason it wouldn't be cheaper than an ordinary retail game. Even if it was a full scaled one, which they specifically said it wasn't - that it has been scaled back with a multiplayer only focus

So what if it's cheaper? It's more money for them. If they can sell Ocarina of Time for 10 bucks, I'm pretty sure people will bite this at 40$.

Yoboman

Littleberu said:
So what if it's cheaper? It's more money for them. If they can sell Ocarina of Time for 10 bucks, I'm pretty sure people will bite this at 40$.
I think you need to realise that sometimes selling more for cheaper is a more profitable venture than selling less at a higher price. Go open up Steam, there are about 4 games in total that are $40. The majority (especially when talking multiplayer only games) are around the $20 plateau.

Why do you think that is?

Azrael

$20 is about right as a downloadable, or $30 if they release it at retail. A $30-40 downloadable for a game with no single player or offline multiplayer would seriously undermine sales. At a lower price they'll make more money on volume of sales and down the line DLC.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wollan said:
Resistance, Killzone, Socom, Warhawk... which one to play online. *rips hair out*
heh. I can't say I was a fan of killzone online, just couldnt get into it. SP was the focus of that game for me. Though I'm hearing (from Q&A @ the killzone forum) Killzone PS3's online will be much more in depth this time around.

Obviously, I think Resistance has set the bar for every online game, especially the ones you listed.

Steroyd

Bad_Boy said:
heh. I can't say I was a fan of killzone online, just couldnt get into it. SP was the focus of that game for me. Though I'm hearing (from Q&A @ the killzone forum) Killzone PS3's online will be much more in depth this time around.

Obviously, I think Resistance has set the bar for every online game, especially the ones you listed.

Should wait for the Killzone Liberation online patch as an indicator of what happens when Guerilla concentrates on online. :)

:)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Steroyd said:
Should wait for the Killzone Liberation online patch as an indicator of what happens when Guerilla concentrates on online. :)

I'm looking forward to that. Last I heard they were doing some kind of beta testing with it, heard anything new from it?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BuddyC said:
Sony PR recently told Kotaku "Fall."

Hey BuddyC, I know you can't go into specifics, but I think you can tell us whether or not the distribution method is already set in stone for Warhawk or not. Don't wanna know if it's gonna be PSN or Retail disc. Just if they decided and told you which way they'll go.

Busty

Banned
TTP said:
Hey BuddyC, I know you can't go into specifics, but I think you can tell us whether or not the distribution method is already set in stone for Warhawk or not. Don't wanna know if it's gonna be PSN or Retail disc. Just if they decided and told you which way they'll go.

I'd be genuinely surprised if this was a retail game after all the noise that's been made about the single player campaign falling by the wayside.

I think seeing as the game is concentrating on it's multiplayer online aspect it's surely going to be a PSN release.

One thing that I'm not sure has been answered or not yet, but did they give any hint as to how many levels they will be shipping with the game?

The level in the IGN video looked massive. So are we to assume that the game will bascially compromise of one massive free roaming island rather than individual levels?

pswii60

Draft said:
I think it's cool that Sony is pushing "real" games on their network and not just mini and casual games. I am a total Steam and will always download before doing the retail thing.

Yes, but I don't want it to entire focus on 'big games' as we an already get those via the retail channel. I still like the idea of smaller games because that helps bring back lost genres from the 80s and early 90s (2d platformers, shooters, puzzlers etc).

tanod

when is my burrito
I don't know if it's the way IGN puts their video content together but watching the Warhawk segment didn't really trip my trigger. I think I like the 1UP Show's format of mostly showing gameplay and how the gameplay works/flows. Watching IGN feels like watching MTV. *barfs*

After watching the video this morning, the graphics looks pretty cool, but I still feel pretty miffed about not getting any single player content. I didn't get any sense of how you move between vehicles or how spawn points work.

Think about it this way. What's the point of jumping in a vehicle when you have to find one, get in, and then get shot down/blown up right away and then have to do it all over again only to have the same thing happen? Spawn on foot, rinse, repeat. That would suck any of the fun out of this REAL quick.

That being said, with the amount of content I'm seeing, I wouldn't pay more than $20-$25 for this, if at all.
BTW, Tekken is overpriced and I'm not buying it. $15 price is right.

J-Rzez

I was really hoping this would be out sooner than Summer, bah... Hopefully we can get some updated trailers of this in HD on the PSN soon though, that'd be nice at least... Maybe with the EU launch coming up we will... and not just on this game, but the whole gambit please...

Top Bottom