• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Preview: Traditional Ratchet is back in 'Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus'

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
While maintaining how happy I am there's a new traditional style R&C coming, I really do agree. The same game at PS4 launch on the psn, 1080p, 60fps, it would make a really nice kick off to the new PS4 digital stuff. It would alleviate the need for a vita version too, remote play would have us covered.
:fistbump, doniewhalberg.

I think Q4B is every bit as good (quality wise) as TOD / ACIT. It's just a short form of Ratchet, not the long form.

neh, its pretty dull. it must have been a short form of all the worst aspects, because I've played all the other ratchet games to completion and that one just seemed poorly paced, especially being a shorter experience.

How am I speaking for myself? He's speaking directly to his own desires for a longer game, despite all evidence pointing to that being a bad decision at this point...and I'm being realistic. If being realistic means I'm "speaking for myself" then I'd rather read the thoughts of someone being realistic than complaining (and spreading misinformation) on a forum.

For all we know, each planet could have more content, and there could be fewer of them. Or there could be more, with less content in each planet. There could be multiple boss battles per planet, or arenas, etc. Planet number tells us absolutely nothing with regards to the length of the game. Case in point: ToD vs. ACiT.

you said this:

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill ;)

If the game has enough reason for me to come back for a second playthrough, and it clocks in above 4 or 5 hours, then I'm more than happy enough to spend $30 on it.

You're speaking for yourself, his post was actually a realistic post from an average consumer who isn't a superfan.

8byte

Banned
neh, its pretty dull. it must have been a short form of all the worst aspects, because I've played all the other ratchet games to completion and that one just seemed unfocused, especially being a shorter experience.

You're speaking for yourself, his post was actually a realistic post from an average consumer who isn't a superfan.

I didn't realize there were average consumers on GAF who wished to discuss the quality / caliber of a development team, the length of a product based on vague information, sales, potential, etc.

Seems a bit more than casual, and all of the points he hits as reasons for a "longer game" are unrealistic given the current climate for demand when it comes to R&C titles.

Hey, who wants to listen to me, super fans shouldn't be listened to, right? No matter how logically we put together our information, we must be full of shit, lol.

I didn't realize there were average consumers on GAF who wished to discuss the quality / caliber of a development team, the length of a product based on vague information, sales, potential, etc.

Seems a bit more than casual, and all of the points he hits as reasons for a "longer game" are unrealistic given the current climate for demand when it comes to R&C titles.

Hey, who wants to listen to me, super fans shouldn't be listened to, right? No matter how logically we put together our information, we must be full of shit, lol.

"lol"? you saw what I quoted, don't be coy.

Realistic in this capacity is subjective, i was stating I felt his concerns were more realistic and fell in line with my own.

God, the never ending complaining about good news... a $30 mainline Ratchet game from Insomniac that's beefier than Q4B.

Lighten up people, jesus.

What confuses me is that there's always tons of threads on how games shouldn't always be a static $60 price, prices should reflect content, blah blah blah. And then when Insomniac actually releases a full Ratchet game at $30, the response is "oh it must be short on content, pass" or "why couldn't they make a $60 game, it must be too short, pass."

I'll buy Day One. Can't wait. Hopefully this is a return to form for Insomniac.

8byte

Banned
"lol"? you saw what I quoted, don't be coy.

Realistic in this capacity is subjective, i was stating I felt his concerns were more realistic and fell in line with my own.

I'm not trying to be coy. While my thoughts of what I said I would be fine with do speak to my interests, they also speak to the nature of the situation. What you two want, while ideal and also a desire of my own, is not realistic. Not only that, it wouldn't be a wise choice for Sony at this point.

Why invest money into a bigger project with a higher price point during the transition of a generation? At this point Sony needs to attack families with the PS3, and that is exactly what R&C Nexus is for. Lower priced PS3 + low price family game.

I get it, a longer game would be great, even better if it were on PS4, but that simply doesn't make sense to anyone except for a few core consumers (who cannot support this franchise on their own).

I think Q4B is every bit as good (quality wise) as TOD / ACIT. It's just a short form of Ratchet, not the long form.

That's a good way to put it.

I also think you guys used it as a means to try a few small things here and there. The grabbing of worms with the wrench felt new and experimental, relative to the way ToD felt.

krae_man

I'm not trying to be coy. While my thoughts of what I said I would be fine with do speak to my interests, they also speak to the nature of the situation. What you two want, while ideal and also a desire of my own, is not realistic. Not only that, it wouldn't be a wise choice for Sony at this point.

Why invest money into a bigger project with a higher price point during the transition of a generation? At this point Sony needs to attack families with the PS3, and that is exactly what R&C Nexus is for. Lower priced PS3 + low price family game.

I get it, a longer game would be great, even better if it were on PS4, but that simply doesn't make sense to anyone except for a few core consumers (who cannot support this franchise on their own).

Sly 4 seemed to do great at $40 and that was the full game(With Vita Cross buy). Not unreasonable for people to want Ratchet to get the same treatment.

netguy503

Get off the internet with your logic.

netguy503

Sly 4 seemed to do great at $40 and that was the full game(With Vita Cross buy). Not unreasonable for people to want Ratchet to get the same treatment.

no it didn't- it went to $20 soon after and now new Sly games probably will never happen.

Do you want the same fate for Ratchet!? I don't.

8byte

Banned

"Seemed to do great" feels like a statement that largely reflects anecdotal evidence and some PR side speak.

I don't feel like Sly 4 was a failure, but I think it's a bit unfiar to say "it did well" without a solid foundation of information, and then assume that this title should be reflective of that one. Two different studios with two different goals, and Sony is obviously working different angles with each title.

I get that they're both family friendly titles, but the situation under which each title is being developed is certainly not the same.

Amir0x

Banned
Why not? I'd say most of my casual gamer friends/relatives have bought every gaming system based on one advert they saw in a magazine/TV. I don't think they have a clue of what is coming to the platforms if they aren't explicitly advertised with the machine.

Because literally every consumer-based industry shows sweeping evidence of consumers taking a multitude of factors into account, up-to-and-including past experiences with products from a company? There have been endless studies about this stuff. And those factors have included things like longevity of the product, support for it from the company (including things like customer service) and the things he talked about too like price.

Consumers have not and never will be even remotely as dumb as people think they are. They're not as smart as they should be, but they certainly consider a wide range of factors. Having a good experience with a console in the past from a company where that company demonstrated that they would continue supporting it well after new platforms are out certainly would be a factor for many consumers looking into future products from the company.

It's not the ONLY factor, and if there are other factors that are much worse and outweigh those consumers might take those instead, but it's absolutely not remotely true what that guy said.

KalBalboa

Banned
What confuses me is that there's always tons of threads on how games shouldn't always be a static $60 price, prices should reflect content, blah blah blah. And then when Insomniac actually releases a full Ratchet game at $30, the response is "oh it must be short on content, pass" or "why couldn't they make a $60 game, it must be too short, pass."

I'll buy Day One. Can't wait. Hopefully this is a return to form for Insomniac.

I know! And now Q4B is suddenly being called poor and sub-standard, even for the cheap price point? It was a short-form traditional R&C game. It game was great!

Lunacy, I tells ya, lunacy.

KalBalboa

Banned

It was in the top ten that month across all platforms, right? #9, I want to say, and that didn't include digital sales? Beat Fire Emblem.

Kunan

Always up for some more Ratchet & Clank! Gimme gimme. Hopefully it bridges towards a new PS4 series :D

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Massa

Exactly. I bet they'll have $199 PS3 bundles with this game this holiday season.

Yawnier

Banned
Exactly. I bet they'll have $199 PS3 bundles with this game this holiday season.

Sony would be foolish to not drop the PS3 price this fall to capitalize on people who want to play TLOU and other exclusives. The price gap between the PS3 price right now and the PS4's launching price is far too small IMO.

Samyy

Sony would be foolish to not drop the PS3 price this fall to capitalize on people who want to play TLOU and other exclusives. The price gap between the PS3 price right now and the PS4's launching price is far too small IMO.

Agreed, it looks bad if your new console is only 100 dollars more then the current. It just communicates to people that its not a powerful upgrade, a price drop has to come. Otherwise its just poor marketing imo.

krae_man

"Seemed to do great" feels like a statement that largely reflects anecdotal evidence and some PR side speak.

I don't feel like Sly 4 was a failure, but I think it's a bit unfiar to say "it did well" without a solid foundation of information, and then assume that this title should be reflective of that one. Two different studios with two different goals, and Sony is obviously working different angles with each title.

I get that they're both family friendly titles, but the situation under which each title is being developed is certainly not the same.

Even if Sly 4 didn't sell well, I doubt "We gave too much value for money" was one of the reasons.

"We admit it is less game, but we're lowering the price to balance things out" is a confusing message to get across. "Full game for less" is an easier message to convey.

Also the non committal Vita stuff is a problem. Insomniac should be developing the Vita version in house. That's the only way they can properly both versions are done on time and in proper quality.

Yawnier

Banned
Agreed, it looks bad if your new console is only 100 dollars more then the current. It just communicates to people that its not a powerful upgrade, a price drop has to come. Otherwise its just poor marketing imo.

Pretty much, and it will be a 7 year old console come this fall.

Just curious but it's Until Dawn still in development?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/07/ps3s-until-dawn-still-very-much-in-development

From 2 months ago, but it is still in development (apparently). We just haven't heard much on it though since it was revealed last year at GC.

Even if Sly 4 didn't sell well, I doubt "We gave too much value for money" was one of the reasons.

"We admit it is less game, but we're lowering the price to balance things out" is a confusing message to get across. "Full game for less" is an easier message to convey.

Also the non committal Vita stuff is a problem. Insomniac should be developing the Vita version in house. That's the only way they can properly both versions are done on time and in proper quality.

This dude gets it.

Then like I said before, maybe Insomniac should've just waited until the movie was coming out and released a full-spec sequel then. They didn't have to make this game right now, and they especially didn't have to do it with a smaller team and tight financial constraints, which Jstevenson just alluded to earlier in this thread.

They chose to release a smaller product with a tighter development time frame and lower available resources, and as such they now have to fight against customers' expectations, rather than work with them. I don't envy the position they're in right now.

8byte

Banned
Then like I said before, maybe Insomniac should've just waited until the movie was coming out and released a full-spec sequel then. They didn't have to make this game right now, and they especially didn't have to do it with a smaller team and tight financial constraints, which Jstevenson just alluded to earlier in this thread.

They chose to release a smaller product with a tighter development time frame and lower available resources, and as such they now have to fight against customers' expectations, rather than work with them. I don't envy the position they're in right now.

So don't release a new Ratchet for how many years, and potentially lose mindset of new consumers? You're making less and less sense with each response, and I don't mean offense there.

You're taking jstevenson's comments out of context with regards to budget and team size. If he says smaller budget and smaller team, that does not mean they have financial constraints or that they didn't have the capability to do what they wanted. Insomniac has been able to release games so frequently because they're good at managing their people, and keeping the scope of their projects under control, so as not to bloat the budget. They knew what they pitched to Sony, they knew how long they would need to do it, and how much it would cost.

They're not fighting against customers expectations, because the "customers" that are expecting an "epic" game can't support the franchise on their own. Those that will be buying the (undoubtedly cheaper) PS3 this holiday season will definitely be looking for new games, and with a brand new Ratchet game releasing at such a low price (both digitally and physically)...this choice was a no brainer.

I'm sorry, I get your wishes, and I share the desire for a longer, beefier Ratchet. I just live in reality, and I don't expect Insomniac (or any other company) to cater to my "niche". They need money, and what you're suggesting doesn't really make them money, lol.

That's not the impression I get at all. I don't feel like Insomniac was apologizing for the size of the game, or the price, as you are suggesting. I feel like they assessed the value of the project, and priced it fairly, and within reason.

I think Insomniac understands that maybe their in house engine isn't very well suited for porting to Vita, and as such are evaluating how they can help ease that process before they commit to announcing a Vita version. If they can do it well enough, I'm confident they'll try to make it happen.

netguy503

So don't release a new Ratchet for how many years, and potentially lose mindset of new consumers? You're making less and less sense with each response, and I don't mean offense there.

You're taking jstevenson's comments out of context with regards to budget and team size. If he says smaller budget and smaller team, that does not mean they have financial constraints or that they didn't have the capability to do what they wanted. Insomniac has been able to release games so frequently because they're good at managing their people, and keeping the scope of their projects under control, so as not to bloat the budget. They knew what they pitched to Sony, they knew how long they would need to do it, and how much it would cost.

They're not fighting against customers expectations, because the "customers" that are expecting an "epic" game can't support the franchise on their own. Those that will be buying the (undoubtedly cheaper) PS3 this holiday season will definitely be looking for new games, and with a brand new Ratchet game releasing at such a low price (both digitally and physically)...this choice was a no brainer.

I'm sorry, I get your wishes, and I share the desire for a longer, beefier Ratchet. I just live in reality, and I don't expect Insomniac (or any other company) to cater to my "niche". They need money, and what you're suggesting doesn't really make them money, lol.

What if they could of given us a better Ratchet game if they put in the money that went into your beloved FUSE into this game? Not many people besides you liked it.

btkadams

for some reason, i didn't clue in that you guys were talking about this new game being short (didn't see the op update). that's a bit disappointing. oh well, we still don't know how long it will actually be, just that it will be shorter than the regular games. at least it is priced lower.

8byte

Banned
What if they could of given us a better Ratchet game if they put in the money that went into your beloved FUSE into this game? Not many people besides you liked it.

The money that went to Fuse came from EA, and there's a pretty small chance any of that would have went into a title from another publisher :p

The thing is, they are fighting against expectations. The entire series up to this point has been known for having a pretty similar play time and scope, even though the individual games might have had some unique elements. Now, they have to explain WHY this new game - which they're treating like the next main installment - is half the size, scale and depth of the last major installment in the series. They have to convince people that the tradeoff is worth it. Most consumers really don't care about what happens behind the scenes - they care about what they get on the disc at the end of the day. And as such, Insomniac has to find a way to convince them that a smaller game is just as good as ACiT was. That's a hard sell, especially with new console launches stealing all the public's attention.

And how is Insomniac going to deal with the stigma that low-budget games hold? If it were a handheld game things might be a little different, but for a console game, the price is too high for a downloadable game and too low for a retail game. They're literally exactly in the middle, and Ratchet isn't the kind of game that's going to be able to weather the "low budget = low quality" stigma on its own.

I'm sorry, but the fact of the matter is that seeing a smaller game and a lower price gives me ANY NUMBER of reasons to panic or to doubt the game will be as good as ACiT. It gives me absolutely no reason to assume it will live up to the series' best. It's not unrealistic to look at the series' history, see this game chafing against that history, and start to worry as a result. Hell, for all we know, this game could be in development by a skeleton team while the majority of Insomniac's muscle is getting put behind Sunset Overdrive. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't want a B-tier Ratchet game. Period. We already had that with A4O and FFA and look where that got us.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

Your logic is getting increasingly warped - it's amazing how everyone has insta-expectations for a product that, by your logic, they shouldn't have even been anticipating for a couple more years anyway. Certainly most people probably weren't even expecting an R&C this year so I guess we're all going to have to adjust our expectations accordingly. It's happening.

It should be abundantly clear by now that, as long as Insomniac remains the primary caretaker for the R&C IP, they're going to continue to experiment with the formula to see what works and what doesn't. None of these games "have to" be made at any particular point and we're all just along for whatever part of the ride we're interested in. Stop trying to speak for every potential R&C customer. Just tap out for this portion of the ride and we'll check in with you again around 2015.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The thing is, they are fighting against expectations.
Welcome to any established franchise ever. I still remember the complaints about Insomniac changing the controls and adding inertia-based animation to Going Commando, and that was after just the first game! There were plenty of big fights about that at the time.

The entire series up to this point has been known for having a pretty similar play time and scope, even though the individual games might have had some unique elements.
The other side of that is fatigue in relation to the overly familiar format, which the R&C series certainly gets plenty of criticism about.

There's no way to keep this franchise (or any franchise) going without threading a gauntlet of melodramatic criticism on both sides.

The other side of that is fatigue in relation to the overly familiar format, which the R&C series certainly gets plenty of criticism about.

There's no way to keep this franchise (or any franchise) going without threading a gauntlet of melodramatic criticism on both sides.

The problem I see with it is that this comes after four straight years of B-tier games. If this was coming out right after ACiT and was literally a downloadable epilogue to that game like they're calling it, it would make sense to be a shorter game. But it's been four years since ACiT came out, and A4O and FFA both severely damaged the franchise's reputation and sales potential in the interim. Now, they have to fight against both what people expect a Ratchet game to be and they have to deal with the severely negative reaction people had to the last two games.

I don't want people to think I hate Insomniac or anything, here. I am just thinking this was an unwise decision for them to make so soon after the dismal reception the two B-games got, since they really need to restore confidence in the franchise first. Instead, they're fighting a very hard battle on both sides, and the one main thing they have going for them is that if this one fails, they potentially stand to lose less money than they would if it was a bigger game.

8byte

Banned
The thing is, they are fighting against expectations. The entire series up to this point has been known for having a pretty similar play time and scope, even though the individual games might have had some unique elements. Now, they have to explain WHY this new game - which they're treating like the next main installment - is half the size, scale and depth of the last major installment in the series. They have to convince people that the tradeoff is worth it. Most consumers really don't care about what happens behind the scenes - they care about what they get on the disc at the end of the day. And as such, Insomniac has to find a way to convince them that a smaller game is just as good as ACiT was. That's a hard sell, especially with new console launches stealing all the public's attention.

And how is Insomniac going to deal with the stigma that low-budget games hold? If it were a handheld game things might be a little different, but for a console game, the price is too high for a downloadable game and too low for a retail game. They're literally exactly in the middle, and Ratchet isn't the kind of game that's going to be able to weather the "low budget = low quality" stigma on its own.

I'm sorry, but the fact of the matter is that seeing a smaller game and a lower price gives me ANY NUMBER of reasons to panic or to doubt the game will be as good as ACiT. It gives me absolutely no reason to assume it will live up to the series' best. It's not unrealistic to look at the series' history, see this game chafing against that history, and start to worry as a result. Hell, for all we know, this game could be in development by a skeleton team while the majority of Insomniac's muscle is getting put behind Sunset Overdrive. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't want a B-tier Ratchet game. Period. We already had that with A4O and FFA and look where that got us.

I hate to point out that you're a Junior member, but you're really "acting" that part right now. This will bey final response to you, so please read it and take it to heart.

1) You have no idea what the scope of this title is comparatively to ACiT. We simply know that it is smaller. Please stop misleading people with your nonsense.

2) This is all in your head. You're literally making assumptions at every opportunity to be negative about this title. You need to relax a bit.

3) You don't know how IGs development teams and studios are staffed. Making assumptions about where the muscle is, who is an "a or b team" or how long a ge has been in development is asinine. I've been to the studio multiple times, talked to people in all departments, and I think it's fair to say my assumptions are closer to the truth than your own.

4) FFA and A4O were good games. They weren't traditional Ratchet games, and unfortunately they were hammered for not being so, but they were good solid products none the less. That said, that doesn't give anyone any ground to say because of two non-traditional R&C titles that a traditional title will be bad, short, rushed, or low budget based on those merits. Completely inaccurate and unfair.

5) Why are you making the connection that short game = bad game? If it's short, then that's it. That doesn't mean it's bad, especially if the price is lower. I have played a lot of phenomenal games that were short and lower priced. Like wise, I've played long games that weren't great. Price and length aren't a measure of quality, they are simply a measure of price and length. Nothing more.

just saw the trailer

wow looks really awesome! I really like the art direction here, probably the best looking insomniac game I have ever seen

will buy

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Very happy that this is a PS3 game. It looks awesome in the trailer and has a great price point too. Will buy day one.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
i wish it were ps4 exclusive! ps3 exclusives need to die at this point

Haha, I get why you and other people might say that but I think it's great that Sony are committing so much support to a machine that I already own. From my own selfish perspective, it's really good news for my wallet!

Tagg9

5) Why are you making the connection that short game = bad game? If it's short, then that's it. That doesn't mean it's bad, especially if the price is lower. I have played a lot of phenomenal games that were short and lower priced. Like wise, I've played long games that weren't great. Price and length aren't a measure of quality, they are simply a measure of price and length. Nothing more.

You're wasting your time, 8byte. Despite my many attempts to explain the difference between quality and length, PlanetSmasher simply will not comprehend.

HYDE

Banned

j you are 100% correct. I have voiced my thoughts on QFB many times...it is as awesome as the original 3 and is in my mind R&C Future 2. Will Nexus connect the gap between the original 3 and the Future trilogy?

What's the likelyhood of us getting a Future trilogy with Quest For Booty finally being accepted as R&C Future 2??

I can't decide(for the first time) whether I want the disc or digital version of a game.

I can't get QFB on disc so I might as well just add ITN to the HDD as well, right???

Top Bottom