• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Preview: Traditional Ratchet is back in 'Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus'

HYDE

Banned
Only Insomniac games I've never played are Disruptor, Spyro trilogy, Deadlocked, A4O, FFA, and Fuse...

I absolutely adore and love R&C trilogy, R&C Future trilogy, Resistance trilogy, and I am also way amazed by Into the Nexus...color me freaking stoked.

I just wish Naughty Dog would release a new Jak and Daxter for PS3. They can't not revisit such a popular series forever can they? Please Sony let it happen just like Sly 4 did.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The problem I see with it is that this comes after four straight years of B-tier games. If this was coming out right after ACiT and was literally a downloadable epilogue to that game like they're calling it, it would make sense to be a shorter game. But it's been four years since ACiT came out, and A4O and FFA both severely damaged the franchise's reputation and sales potential in the interim. Now, they have to fight against both what people expect a Ratchet game to be and they have to deal with the severely negative reaction people had to the last two games.
Unless the game is an absolute travesty, I don't see it doing any harm to the franchise. You're trying too hard to force the outcomes to fit with the narrative you want to push that only long-form R&C is the right R&C.

Unless the game is an absolute travesty, I don't see it doing any harm to the franchise. You're trying too hard to force the outcomes to fit with the narrative you want to push that only long-form R&C is the right R&C.

I don't think it's going to harm the franchise. I just don't think it's the right move for them to make to fix the damage FFA and A4O already did.

You're wasting your time, 8byte. Despite my many attempts to explain the difference between quality and length, PlanetSmasher simply will not comprehend.

I fully comprehend what you're trying to say. But to me, a short game is inherently worse than a long one, because if I finish a game in two days I have to find something new to occupy my gaming time immediately after. And considering how few good games we're getting these days, I'd rather delay that search as long as possible. If you can't sympathize with why I'm agitated, that's fine. I don't expect you to agree with me. But don't act like I'm a fool.

PaulloDEC

I'm a little surprised that people are bothered about the length. Surely any new traditional Ratchet is great news and something to look forward to?

Sure, we'd all love a fully-featured AAA game, but there's no reason to think we won't eventually get one of those too. I seriously doubt there'd be people making a theatrically-released feature film for a franchise with no future.

I fully comprehend what you're trying to say. But to me, a short game is inherently worse than a long one, because if I finish a game in two days I have to find something new to occupy my gaming time immediately after.

If that's the problem you're grappling with, I'd suggest pacing your play sessions out a bit. Maybe only play an hour or so each day. It might be fun to burn through an entire TV series in a day or two, but there's something much more satisfying in having to wait for each new installment to come out. I find the same can hold true for games.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't think it's going to harm the franchise. I just don't think it's the right move for them to make to fix the damage FFA and A4O already did.
So it's a push. No harm done and you weren't going to get long-form R&C this year anyway (and probably not in 2014 either) so this is just a bonus any way you look at it.

ACiT also had the galaxy exploration, which was a major part of the game. If you include all the time spent exploring moons and asteroids, the play time is probably even with TOD, or longer.

Even including the space exploration ACiT had less content than ToD. It was probably the game biggest flaw.

krae_man

That's not the impression I get at all. I don't feel like Insomniac was apologizing for the size of the game, or the price, as you are suggesting. I feel like they assessed the value of the project, and priced it fairly, and within reason.

I think Insomniac understands that maybe their in house engine isn't very well suited for porting to Vita, and as such are evaluating how they can help ease that process before they commit to announcing a Vita version. If they can do it well enough, I'm confident they'll try to make it happen.

That's pretty much exactly what they are doing. By immediately saying "downloadable game" and "Epilogue" Their whole marketing campaign is "This game is less then, but we priced it accordingly". That's a terrible message.

Thieves in Time was slightly smaller then the previous Sly games(5 episodes was the smallest of all the games with "Chapters") but they didn't start out with "This is a smaller $40 title". They presented to be nothing less then a full game and later dropped the "We're only charging $40 for it" bomb and I don't recall a massive "Oh crap, it's less of a game" sentiment here.

weevles

I think the Saturday morning cartoon nature of R&C will lend itself well to a shorter game at the lighter price. I'm curious if that means we'll see more of these types of games, or if this was just a one off or experiment. I guess it was sort of done before, but R&C seems to be one of those IPs that could easily translate into an episodic series over a longer period.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to this.

Atruvius

I thought I was done buying PS3 games(last games was Dragons Dogma last year), but a new Ratchet that's like the older ones... count me in!

So I take it the game's 30fps instead of 60? I'm gonna miss the smoothness of 60fps if it's 30. :(

Takao

Banned
I think Insomniac understands that maybe their in house engine isn't very well suited for porting to Vita, and as such are evaluating how they can help ease that process before they commit to announcing a Vita version. If they can do it well enough, I'm confident they'll try to make it happen.

If Insomniac knew that they shouldn't have given a new studio the job of porting Full Frontal Assault to Vita.

8byte

Banned
That's pretty much exactly what they are doing. By immediately saying "downloadable game" and "Epilogue" Their whole marketing campaign is "This game is less then, but we priced it accordingly". That's a terrible message.

Thieves in Time was slightly smaller then the previous Sly games(5 episodes was the smallest of all the games with "Chapters") but they didn't start out with "This is a smaller $40 title". They presented to be nothing less then a full game and later dropped the "We're only charging $40 for it" bomb and I don't recall a massive "Oh crap, it's less of a game" sentiment here.

So Insomniac letting customers know exactly what this is, so as not to confuse them when they read "traditional Ratchet" (and immediately think it'll be an ACiT sized title) is them "apologizing"? Right.

:lol

If Insomniac knew that they shouldn't have given a new studio the job of porting Full Frontal Assault to Vita.

Insomniac had no control of that port. Sony handed it off to the studio (as they pretty much own the whole deal). I think Sony learned their lesson, and Insomniac may be looking at options to make Vita ports of their titles a reality.

Takao

Banned
Honestly, this game should just be a Vita title. It needs software, Sony's releasing very little for it, and the PS3 does not need a sixth Ratchet.

Honestly, this game should just be a Vita title. It needs software, Sony's releasing very little for it, and the PS3 does not need a sixth Ratchet.

It should be on Vita... but not as an exclusive, rather play this on a big tv with surround sound, not on a handheld.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Never played a R&C game. I got Tools of Destruction from work and never even played it. I'm not even sure why the heck I never did! Nexus looks really good. Crap, did I miss out on Tools of Destruction?

I thought it was funny that the Insomniac Newsletter announcing this starts off with an apology.

Something along the lines of:
"we know the last R&C games were utter shit. However with this new game, we are making a real ratchet game this time!"

VcdJnbA.png

Ovek

7Member7
Why didn't ign even mention the large white elephant sitting the room also know as the PS4? Wonder if Sony will port it eventually, after all the PS4 is going to need a steady stream of games after launch...

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I think the Saturday morning cartoon nature of R&C will lend itself well to a shorter game at the lighter price. I'm curious if that means we'll see more of these types of games, or if this was just a one off or experiment. I guess it was sort of done before, but R&C seems to be one of those IPs that could easily translate into an episodic series over a longer period.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to this.
Your instincts are correct, Quest for Booty was an incredible Ratchet game.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Why didn't ign even mention the large white elephant sitting the room also know as the PS4? Wonder if Sony will port it eventually, after all the PS4 is going to need a steady stream of games after launch...
There's the reason that they gave on the PS.blog that they thought it would be perfect fit to bring PS3 users the epilogue to Ratchet and Clank Future, but other behind the scenes reasons might be making 2 next gen games at once for the first time is a lot of work and fairly daunting, they want their next gen debut and buildup to be special instead of scattered between 2 games, or they have a next gen exclusivity contract with MS at least until their first Xbox One game is done.

SykoTech

It being only $30 and being referred to as an epilogue makes me think that this is not going to be the successor to A Crack in Time that I've been dying for. But at least it's going back to the franchise's single player roots instead of being mostly about multiplayer like All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault. It should scratch that itch for now.

A Crack in Time is pretty much my favorite game this gen and one of my favorite games period. I hope Insomniac will put out another full-fledged R&C like that on the PS4.

EDIT: And somebody please make a Jak & Daxter 4. Somebody.

Toppot

Interview up on the Playstation Blog
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/07/11/playstation-blogcast-080-into-the-nethers/

Skip to 43:15

North Carolinia.
Going back to how the Future trilogy controls.
Story focus on Ratchet.
Villians share Ratchets want to be back with their kind.
Qwark is in the game.
They go other stuff that we know from IGN & Trailer.
Neathers are a creature in the game.

They had to bleep jsteveson once xD
"Put some BLEEP up on these walls!"

Toppot

UYA is the only one I've ever played.
I liked the level construction.
I liked the side stuff.

I would say buy Tools of Destruction on PS3, it's cheap nowadays. Its a fully blown Ratchet game with lots to do an lots of side stuff. Since Into The Nexus isn't out yet its hard to say if you will like it. Get Tools Of Destruction and/or A Crack In Time, you can get them as a twin pack now and give them a go. Most people rank A Crack In Time higher than Tools so you might prefer that.

I'd recommend playing R&C 2 as well perhaps though that is missing a couple of tricks which UYA added it is probably the best R&C game IMO.

For you I'd avoid R&C 1 as it aged a bit badly and you need nostalgia to help enjoy it nowadays. Avoid 'Quest 4 Booty' its short and has very little side stuff, more puzzle and platform based. Full Frontal Assault is a fun little romp but is more tower defence-ish and short. Avoid All4One as well, unless you love simple co-op games that are best played with children or non-gamers. Deadlocked is more linear and mission based so I'd probably say give that a pass.

netguy503

Any chance this game hits PSN during summer like QFB did?

Oh please jsteve...say yes.

It says this holiday in a graphic just a few posts above you. And if you don't want a game as short as QFB....please, let them take all the time they need. So jsteve....please say no.

Toppot

Any chance this game hits PSN during summer like QFB did?

Oh please jsteve...say yes.

The game seems to have a very nice Halloweeny feel to it with all the 'scary' stuff in it so I'd imagine they might play on that and try a late October release date. Or it will go into the classic November release date for R&C games.

Top Bottom