• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reviews Fallout 3

iceatcs

imperium said:
And yes, the freezing when someone logs in to PSN really is annoying. I didn’t pay much attention to it in the reviews and dismissed it as minor annoyance at best, but it really is jarring when your PS3 literally freezes for a few seconds and your first thought is WTF just happened to my PS3. It’s really odd this made it through both Bethesda and Sony QA departments. You would think that Live/PSN performance would be one of the major items on the check list.
I know, it shouldn't be left out in the QA. Maybe tester kit don't have friend list and also it is non-multiplayer game.

And by the way, IGN have edited their review :|

Loudninja

imperium said:
Good lord, what the hell happened to this thread?

Anyway, picked up the PS3 CE last night, and played until I left the vault.

So far it seems ok. I knew it would be similar to Oblivion but I was still slightly surprised by just how much it felt like Oblivion. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I'm somewhat ambivalent when it comes to Oblivion. It did many things right but it also annoyed me numerous times.

My very first impression was this got a 9+ score in the graphics department? Of course this was just my 1st impression and it only included the vault and a few minutes of exploration outside. I thought I would be at least slightly wow'ed . The lighting in particular left me disappointed. It just doesn’t look right for some reason, at least indoors. I didn’t play enough outside to get a feel for it. Maybe it's a PS3 issue?

But it’s Fallout so I’m looking forward to playing it tonight. The VATS system was pretty fun to play with.

And yes, the freezing when someone logs in to PSN really is annoying. I didn’t pay much attention to it in the reviews and dismissed it as minor annoyance at best, but it really is jarring when your PS3 literally freezes for a few seconds and your first thought is WTF just happened to my PS3. It’s really odd this made it through both Bethesda and Sony QA departments. You would think that Live/PSN performance would be one of the major items on the check list.

Anyway, the PS3 version seems to be a competent port, so unless the bugs do it in, I’m happy with it.

Cool :D
iceatcs said:
I know, it shouldn't be left out in the QA. Maybe tester kit don't have friend list and also it is non-multiplayer game.

And by the way, IGN have edited their review :|

What do you mean?

iceatcs

Oh I see

IGN said:
Before
"Fallout 3 is such an engaging and fantastic experience that it's easy to overlook its few minor flaws, but they do exist and should be mentioned. With any game of this size and scope, you can likely expect a few bugs to slip through the testing process and that is the case here. I had the game crash a couple times. I, and other editors at IGN, have also experienced an annoying number of bugs on the PS3 version that have prevented the game from progressing or have broken the world. In all of these cases, reloading the game has been enough to fix the errors and nothing was frustrating or detrimental enough to give me thought of not recommending the game. However, there is one major issue with the PS3 version that can't be fixed with a reset. Every time anybody on your friends list signs on or sends you a message (or any time you receive any network notification), the game freezes and the screen blurs for a few seconds. If you have a lot of friends signing on and off all day, this will completely ruin the game. The only way to circumvent this is to either play offline or turn off notifications entirely."

After
"Fallout 3 is such an engaging and fantastic experience that it's easy to overlook its few minor flaws, but they do exist and should be mentioned. With any game of this size and scope, you can likely expect a few bugs to slip through the testing process and that is the case here. I had the game crash a couple times, amongst other small bugs. In all of these cases, reloading the game has been enough to fix the errors and nothing was frustrating or detrimental enough to make me not recommend the game."

careful

iceatcs said:
head-to-head-fallout-3-200810270501.jpg

There are more but it is exclusive to IGN insider only.
PS3 has poor LOD but not so much, and PC look like don't have blur background when close up for chat.
Some nasty textures right there...
I hope that's not max settings for the PC shot, otherwise it's kinda lame.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
chespace said:
I know. I got an error with Prime95 last night running OC'ed at 3.8GHz (from 2.8) @ 1.28V.

I upped the vcore to 1.29V this morning and left Prime95 running before I went to work.

Hopefully there will be no errors when I get home.

Anyway, I fully expect my PC to spit out ridiculous 120 fps at 1920x1200, highest settings.

I don't know wat you just said. It sounds like dolphins squeaking.

Gonna let this drop in price till they implement trophies or its below $40 since I have a very big backlog right now. Still really can't wait to play it.

Gattsu25

Banned
bogg said:
I'm pretty sure your laptop will run the game real smooth at high settings.

Steam says: "This game will unlock in approximately 2 days and 22 hours".
I hate waiting.
I'm hoping so as well...I've yet to play Oblivion on it and I'm sure that game (more than any other) would give me the best impression on how this damn laptop would perform...as long as I can maintain 30fps+ at 720P I'll be happy, regardless
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I would honestly move to PA in that situation. Obviously the pay must be good for you to want to do that. I can't imagine you would go through all that trouble if the job itself only paid like 25k a year.

Of course, I would love to get the hell out of WV and move far away from the northeast/midatlantic region. FL sounds pretty nice. :)
Trust me, I want to but first I have to sell my house in FL and the falling housing prices aren't making this any easier on me =\

The job pays well :)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
OuterWorldVoice said:
I don't know wat you just said. It sounds like dolphins squeaking.

Haha, pretty much.

Anyway, Steam is currently downloading some retarded patch that's taken more than an hour already.

I'm bored, so I'll install Warhead, since I never played that.

Top Bottom