• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reviews Fallout 3

Lince

Banned
move on guys, it's just a dirty job on the PS3 version, the hardware is more than capable as seen with Uncharted, the best graphics this gen without loading times. I wouldn't support this kind of devs but the game is too good to call it a pass so I'll just buy the cheaper PC version.

Zzoram

I never worry about RRoD unless I'm renting a game, since an RRoD mid-rental means I waste the rest of the rental. If I own the game, it's no biggie waiting a week.

antiloop

Lion Heart said:
I can understand the graphical differences, like aliasing and what not but freezing during msgs? Sound glitches? They obviously didnt put the effort into the PS3 version. I think PS3 only owners have some right to be annoyed.

Exactly. That should not be accepted.

Aliasing and a lower res texture once in a while is nothing compared to that.

Fady K said:
:lol I just read the okrim-duckroll showdown. Did he not know he was talking to a mod? What saying he how can to moderator? Though he got chance but still he speak curses.

you're just is lamer not understanding words of mine here now I do understand

we're all pretty sure he was drunk/high. I saw a special on TV about huffing dusters last night...maybe he saw the same show.

WrikaWrek said:
Overrated like shit.

Seriously, how can they score the gameplay so high? And the graphics, that are awful?

I don't understand how can this game get a pass like this.

Pete hines, master of buttering up the gaming press.

WrikaWrek

Banned
KTallguy said:
Do you have it, are you playing it?
Tell me why it sucks, because I don't really trust IGN.

I don't have it, but i've played it. Here's what, you spend a whole lot of time talking in this game, and the dialog system is archaic and boring as crap.

Then you also spend a whole lot of time killing stuff in this game, and don't buy into the "It's an FPS" bs, because if this is an FPS then it has to be one of the most broken FPSs i've ever played. The combat, A.I, movement, shooting, it's sucks balls, and it makes you use this Vats system or whatever that i don't even understand who thought that making that the main part of the combat was a good idea. It sucks, pause, click click click, and the character shoots for you, now you think "Well i can just skip that", but no, because again the combat without it sucks even more and is broken, like the mere act of shooting a bitch doesn't work as you expect it to.

Graphics wise, a 9? Is the dude from the review crazy? Looks ugly as shit, sure you can say "Well it's kinda meant to look ugly as shit", well i don't think horrible character models, crappy texturing, Lightning and shadowing is bland as hell, animations are just painful....i don't think those are supposed to be bad points too, unless Bethesda is really trying to pass across the theme. Ok we get it, we are supposed to be disgusted at what we are looking, geez.

Look, it can do all those sandbox things right and whatever, but when such a prominent feature of the game isn't good, i don't understand how the game gets a pass, a 9.6 is so excessively high, seriously.

Gattsu25

Banned
My problem is I'm in a really unusual and tight financial situation...I want to buy this game...but there's a few things to explain first:

I live in FL and work in PA...I used to fly down to FL every other week for ~2 days but that's going away...it's going to be once a month or maybe even once every other month now. My 360 and my gaming PC are in FL, in PA all I have is my PS3 and my laptop (decent gaming laptop w/ a geforce 8800).

Fallout 3 for 360 is effectively out of the question for right now...I might revisit the game in a few months when my situation clears up but that won't be for at least 6 months (hell, I have Oblivion on every platform it was released on)...so I'm considering Fallout 3 for either the PS3 or the laptop.

I'm leaning Laptop...but for those that have the game...how would it run on it?

KTallguy

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
I don't have it, but i've played it. Here's what, you spend a whole lot of time talking in this game, and the dialog system is archaic and boring as crap.

Then you also spend a whole lot of time killing stuff in this game, and don't buy into the "It's an FPS" bs, because if this is an FPS then it has to be one of the most broken FPSs i've ever played. The combat, A.I, movement, shooting, it's sucks balls, and it makes you use this Vats system or whatever that i don't even understand who thought that making that the main part of the combat was a good idea. It sucks, pause, click click click, and the character shoots for you, now you think "Well i can just skip that", but no, because again the combat without it sucks even more and is broken, like the mere act of shooting a bitch doesn't work as you expect it to.

Graphics wise, a 9? Is the dude from the review crazy? Looks ugly as shit, sure you can say "Well it's kinda meant to look ugly as shit", well i don't think horrible character models, crappy texturing, Lightning and shadowing is bland as hell, animations are just painful....i don't think those are supposed to be bad points too, unless Bethesda is really trying to pass across the theme. Ok we get it, we are supposed to be disgusted at what we are looking, geez.

Look, it can do all those sandbox things right and whatever, but when such a prominent feature of the game isn't good, i don't understand how the game gets a pass, a 9.6 is so excessively high, seriously.

Good points.

Did you get into the game for any long period of time at all?
Do you like RPGs or did you try to play it more like a shooter?

WrikaWrek

Banned
KTallguy said:
Good points.

Did you get into the game for any long period of time at all?
Do you like RPGs or did you try to play it more like a shooter?

Look i loved Oblivion. What more can i say?

Did i try to play it more like a shooter? Dude, it is a shooter when combat starts :lol

KTallguy

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Look i loved Oblivion. What more can i say?

Wow, you loved Oblivion ... so what does this game lack that Oblivion had?
Honest question, as I am trying to figure out if I should buy this game or not :)

WrikaWrek

Banned
KTallguy said:
Wow, you loved Oblivion ... so what does this game lack that Oblivion had?
Honest question, as I am trying to figure out if I should buy this game or not :)

Fun, enjoyable combat...Seriously. Look even the beginning, you read/hear interviews and impressions and it's like it's supposed to be this awesome intro where you customize your character but it's slow and boring, and you just want the damn thing to be over with. And then the Pitboy, this amazing:)lol ) thing that you carry with you, and is basically the menu that allows you to work around your inventory and upgrades, it's probably one of the ugliest and lame menu based system i've seen, seriously, i didn't even want to open it up.

Oh and try the 3rd person, lol, it's like traveling back to last gen.

PatzCU

_tetsuo_ said:
wtf is going on in here?

PS3 owners are tearing Fallout 3 a new one because it doesn't work as well on their console. Just because it doesn't work well technically on PS3 doesn't mean the content is terrible. Jeez

Mrbob

This is GAF, we always talk consoles instead of playing games.

I am surprised Fallout 3 performance is worse on PS3. Oblivion ran better on PS3 than it did on 360, but it also required a 4.5GB install. Perhaps Bethesda got rid of the install requirement on PS3, but if they weren't going to take the time to stream the game properly on PS3 they should have required the install for better performance.

Zzoram

Mrbob said:

I am surprised Fallout 3 performance is worse on PS3. Oblivion ran better on PS3 than it did on 360, but it also required a 4.5GB install. Perhaps Bethesda got rid of the install requirement on PS3, but if they weren't going to take the time to steam the game properly on PS3 they should have required the install for better performance.

It ran better on PS3 because they had an extra year to make it. They didn't this time.

Mrbob said:

I am surprised Fallout 3 performance is worse on PS3. Oblivion ran better on PS3 than it did on 360, but it also required a 4.5GB install and another year of development. Perhaps Bethesda got rid of the install requirement on PS3, but if they weren't going to take the time to steam the game properly on PS3 they should have required the install for better performance.

Fixed.

Tom Penny

I'm all sorts of confused on this game now. Basically what is pissing me off is that gameplay got a 10 and there is basically a 100% chance that is not true. I'll wait for you guys to "review" the game in the coming week and see if it's worth a purchase. I trust gamers alot more than gaming sites.

Mrbob

Yes I know about the extra year, but it shouldn't matter.

Every development company I've heard of bring their engine improvements from the previous game to the next one. I guess Bethesda likes to buck the curve.

GreekWolf

Mrbob said:
Every development company I've heard of bring their engine improvements from the previous game to the next one.
Who says they didn't? Maybe Fallout looks just as good (or better) on the PS3 as Oblivion did.

Bluemercury said:
LOL to the pple getting the pc version and then playing with a pad......its like getting a wii to play x360/ps3 ports....:lol

Actually it's closer to the other way around, but I see where you're going with it.

Zophar

Zzoram said:
It ran better on PS3 because they had an extra year to make it. They didn't this time.
It really didn't. There was a lot of talk about it running better when it came out but after having put plenty of time into both versions I can say undoubtedly the PS3 version ran worse. The framerate was awful and I ended up ditching my copy. I'm not really surprised that Fallout 3 is a rush job.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
For once I give the PS3the shaft, Drove all the way back and got the 360 version. Damn shame about the bugs inthe PS3 build.

bogg

Gattsu25 said:
so I'm considering Fallout 3 for either the PS3 or the laptop.

I'm pretty sure your laptop will run the game real smooth at high settings.

Steam says: "This game will unlock in approximately 2 days and 22 hours".
I hate waiting.

Gattsu25 said:
My problem is I'm in a really unusual and tight financial situation...I want to buy this game...but there's a few things to explain first:

I live in FL and work in PA...I used to fly down to FL every other week for ~2 days but that's going away...it's going to be once a month or maybe even once every other month now. My 360 and my gaming PC are in FL, in PA all I have is my PS3 and my laptop (decent gaming laptop w/ a geforce 8800).

Fallout 3 for 360 is effectively out of the question for right now...I might revisit the game in a few months when my situation clears up but that won't be for at least 6 months (hell, I have Oblivion on every platform it was released on)...so I'm considering Fallout 3 for either the PS3 or the laptop.

I would honestly move to PA in that situation. Obviously the pay must be good for you to want to do that. I can't imagine you would go through all that trouble if the job itself only paid like 25k a year.

Of course, I would love to get the hell out of WV and move far away from the northeast/midatlantic region. FL sounds pretty nice. :)

WrikaWrek said:
Fun, enjoyable combat...Seriously. Look even the beginning, you read/hear interviews and impressions and it's like it's supposed to be this awesome intro where you customize your character but it's slow and boring, and you just want the damn thing to be over with. And then the Pitboy, this amazing:)lol ) thing that you carry with you, and is basically the menu that allows you to work around your inventory and upgrades, it's probably one of the ugliest and lame menu based system i've seen, seriously, i didn't even want to open it up.

Oh and try the 3rd person, lol, it's like traveling back to last gen.

*slap* PIP BOY!

I dont mind vats, i almost never use real time, and I thought oblivions combat was a turd personally. But turned based grids is out and real time first person is in so Ill take what I can get.

Bluemercury said:
LOL to the pple getting the pc version and then playing with a pad......its like getting a wii to play x360/ps3 ports....:lol

well my 3d card costs more than the original launch price of the 360 pro, so it runs and looks a damn site better than on my 360, I honestly used a pad by accident (since I had it plugged in because I was using it for bully this weekend), but I dont understand your :lol, pcs have had gamepads, joysticks, steering wheels, etc for like ever dude. And this isnt like a competitive online fps where precision aiming matter, hell with vats you CANT NOT hit what your aim at (dice rolls aside i mean).

Ploid 3.0

Saw a lot of Fallout 3's as I was looking for Little Big Planet in walmart and k-mart today. No LBP, and I scored a fallout 3 via gamefly :D (ps3). I was tempted to just buy it since I couldn't find LBP. I'm glad I could resist that urge. Motorstorm 2 on the way from amazon soon, and R2+LBP is near. Gaming overload.

I don't care how much the game sucks since I didn't pay full price for it. I'll see for myself though. I liked oblivion at first, then I got tired of the repetitive look, sound, and feel of it. Hardly any new armor outside of making your own stats. Glass armor everywhere!

x3sphere

The graphics look nice to me... although I'm playing at Ultra settings on PC. Haven't really had much time to play yet,
just got the BB Gun
, but it runs great on my system at 1440x900 (X2 5000+, HD4670, 4GB RAM).

Loudninja

PatzCU said:
PS3 owners are tearing Fallout 3 a new one because it doesn't work as well on their console. Just because it doesn't work well technically on PS3 doesn't mean the content is terrible. Jeez

What the hell?

It really didn't. There was a lot of talk about it running better when it came out but after having put plenty of time into both versions I can say undoubtedly the PS3 version ran worse. The framerate was awful and I ended up ditching my copy. I'm not really surprised that Fallout 3 is a rush job.

:lol No it did not

Zophar

Loudninja said:
What the hell?

:lol No it did not
I've got 30 hours in my save file for the PS3 version and about 96 in the 360 version. The Ps3 version can't keep a steady 30fps for the life of it.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
OuterWorldVoice said:
Your PC is too overclocked.

I know. I got an error with Prime95 last night running OC'ed at 3.8GHz (from 2.8) @ 1.28V.

I upped the vcore to 1.29V this morning and left Prime95 running before I went to work.

Hopefully there will be no errors when I get home.

Anyway, I fully expect my PC to spit out ridiculous 120 fps at 1920x1200, highest settings.

Zzoram

Chiggs said:
Needs more shadows, but they have their charm.

I bet the shadows can be fixed. It's clearly a limit of consoles, since it limits the number of shadows on screen. The PC slider maxes out at something stupid low, like 8 or 9. If we can figure out how to set that to like, 20, it'll look better.

Zzoram

Zophar said:
I've got 30 hours in my save file for the PS3 version and about 96 in the 360 version. The Ps3 version can't keep a steady 30fps for the life of it.

Is the PS3 version still playable and fun? I saw some kid buy a used Oblivion platinum hits for $22 at EB. I wonder if he's crying or having fun now.

eve241

I've asked this before but can't recall the answer : can you play this without having played the the other two games? Will I be able to understand the story?

Loudninja

Zzoram said:
Is the PS3 version still playable and fun? I saw some kid buy a used Oblivion platinum hits for $22 at EB. I wonder if he's crying or having fun now.

It running fine for me no major issues.

Zophar

Zzoram said:
For 20 bucks, absolutely. I mean it's not completely awful, it's still playable. The textures and AA were undoubtedly better on PS3 but again, the framerate just wasn't up to snuff for me. I put so much time into it because I really liked the character I had made.

iceatcs

head-to-head-fallout-3-200810270501.jpg

There are more but it is exclusive to IGN insider only.
PS3 has poor LOD but not so much, and PC look like don't have blur background when close up for chat.

Chiggs

Gold Member
iceatcs said:
and PC look like don't have blur background when close up for chat.

That's actually not true; it's just that IGN used a screenshot that is different from the other two. Blur is most certainly used during dialogue.

Zzoram

Endow said:
I've asked this before but can't recall the answer : can you play this without having played the the other two games? Will I be able to understand the story?

Ya, the story is pretty separate. You'll be good.

iceatcs

Chiggs said:
That's actually not true; it's just that IGN used a screenshot that is different from the other two. Blur is most certainly used during dialogue.
Cool but I don't care if blur background - it is nothing special.

imperium

Good lord, what the hell happened to this thread?

Anyway, picked up the PS3 CE last night, and played until I left the vault.

So far it seems ok. I knew it would be similar to Oblivion but I was still slightly surprised by just how much it felt like Oblivion. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I'm somewhat ambivalent when it comes to Oblivion. It did many things right but it also annoyed me numerous times.

My very first impression was this got a 9+ score in the graphics department? Of course this was just my 1st impression and it only included the vault and a few minutes of exploration outside. I thought I would be at least slightly wow'ed . The lighting in particular left me disappointed. It just doesn’t look right for some reason, at least indoors. I didn’t play enough outside to get a feel for it. Maybe it's a PS3 issue?

But it’s Fallout so I’m looking forward to playing it tonight. The VATS system was pretty fun to play with.

And yes, the freezing when someone logs in to PSN really is annoying. I didn’t pay much attention to it in the reviews and dismissed it as minor annoyance at best, but it really is jarring when your PS3 literally freezes for a few seconds and your first thought is WTF just happened to my PS3. It’s really odd this made it through both Bethesda and Sony QA departments. You would think that Live/PSN performance would be one of the major items on the check list.

Anyway, the PS3 version seems to be a competent port, so unless the bugs do it in, I’m happy with it.

Top Bottom