• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Xbox 3 GPU ~= AMD 6670, Wii U ~5x current gen, Xbox 3 ~6x, Dev Kits August

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

IGN

The next Xbox will ship to retailers in late October or early November of next year with six times the processing power of the Xbox 360, sources close to the project have told IGN.

Following initial reports from tech blogs Fudzilla and SemiAccurate, our sources have confirmed that mass production of the system's GPU will indeed begin by the end of 2012 but will not, however, be based on AMD's 7000 series Southern Islands GPU. Instead, the processor will be derived from the 6000 series, which was introduced last year. More specifically, it will be akin to the Radeon HD 6670, which offers support for DirectX11, multidisplay output, 3D and 1080p HD output. The chip currently has a market price of upwards of $79.99.

In real terms, the Xbox 720's raw graphics processing power is expected to be six times that of the Xbox 360 and will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U.

Developers are likely to receive development kits based on the system's final configuration in August. Projected pricing for the console was not provided.

Orayn

That sounds... Significantly less powerful than I'd expect. Probably best to take this news with a few dozen grains of salt, though. ('Cause, y'know, IGN.)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If true, I feel this puts us at a significant chance of a three tiered generation a la the PS2/GameCube/Xbox, since getting more power than that is pretty easy if Sony feel likes being an ass to them.

ShdwDrake

Banned
That sounds... Significantly less powerful than I'd expect. Probably best to take this news with a few dozen grains of salt, though. ('Cause, y'know, IGN.)

Thats not bad IMO considering the graphics that the 360 pumps out now with the specs it has now. I want you to run Gears of War in a PC with 512 total ram...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So is this good news for Wii U hopefuls? "20% better overall performance" doesn't sound like a HD Twins/Wii level of disparity

It'd be a practically insignificant difference. Quite disappointing if true. I would guess their budget is just somewhere else though if that's the case, like in the new kinect or whatever.

[Nintex]

Legit rumor or IGN trying to get in on the rumor mill?

I get a feeling that MS is flooding the channel with rumors because we get a new Xbox 720, Loop, Fusion, Infinity based on ARM, AMD, IBM, PowerPC, Power7, Bulldozer, Radeon 6000, Radeon 7000, with tablet, without tablet, with Kinect build in, with Kinect 2 build in, running Windows 8, running Windows 9(?) almost like weekly.

DieH@rd

Banned
Radeon 6670 manufactured at 40nm uses less than 75W [wiki says 66]. Hopefully that old rumor about dual gpu setup is true. Two of this chips could be pretty OK, but one... is really low IMO.

6670 represents the lowest possible GPU that i thought they would put in there...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Acosta

NOOOOOOOO.

That's really underwhelming, I hope is untrue. This generation MS achieved a great result packing the most powerful box they could reasonably produce. A 6670 is yesterday technology.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Hmm, why so low bro? Doesn't make it much of an investment if you asked me.
I am even thinking of an overclocked custom version now, because this isn't very impressive.

I don't trust these articles anywho.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sounds very possibly to me. This is more in line with what I would expect from next-gen.

I think people are being too hopeful. I'm not expecting Microsoft or Sony to release high-cost loss leading hardware.

As for people complaining about the lack of power...if they maintain 720p / 30fps as a target, you will see significant improvements in terms of visuals. Hell, just look at the Zelda Wii U tech demo...the lighting blows away any game to date, IMO (aside from CryEngine 3 tech demos).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
$199.99 launch price, confirmed?

I don't like this rumor at all.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It'd be a practically insignificant difference. Quite disappointing if true. I would guess their budget is just somewhere else though if that's the case, like in the new kinect or whatever.

Or just want to keep the thing as cheap as possible to sell more units.

mug

Sounds good to me. I'd estimate a $300 price with that gpu including kinect+ or whatever the future version will be called.

If true, I feel this puts us at a significant chance of a three tiered generation a la the PS2/GameCube/Xbox, since getting more power than that is pretty easy if Sony feel likes being an ass to them.
At what cost though? Especially since Sony is in the worst shape of the big 3 and there's still the potential of Vita not selling gangbusters out of the gate without a price cut?

[Nintex];34538462 said:
I get a feeling that MS is flooding the channel with rumors because we get a new Xbox 720, Loop, Fusion, Infinity based on ARM, AMD, IBM, PowerPC, Power7, Bulldozer, Radeon 6000, Radeon 7000, with tablet, without tablet, with Kinect build in, with Kinect 2 build in, running Windows 8, running Windows 9(?) almost like weekly.

And almost nothing about PS4, even though sony has given us a bit of their roadmap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom