• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Xbox 3 GPU ~= AMD 6670, Wii U ~5x current gen, Xbox 3 ~6x, Dev Kits August

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

I'm in the "don't expect cutting edge machines" camp, so this sounds very plausible. Services is where next gen will be at.

Marleyman

Banned
I'm in the "don't expect cutting edge machines" camp, so this sounds very plausible. Services is where next gen will be at.

Same here. If Microsoft provides a similar service to what they have now and a solid launch lineup I won't give a rats ass about graphics or processing power.

PS4 is going to run circles around this thing.

It won't matter, just like it didnt this past console gen. 3rd party developers aren't going to optomize their software for PS4, especially now considering games will likely be developed for 3 platforms simultaneously.

Sounds very possibly to me. This is more in line with what I would expect from next-gen.

I think people are being too hopeful. I'm not expecting Microsoft or Sony to release high-cost loss leading hardware.

As for people complaining about the lack of power...if they maintain 720p / 30fps as a target, you will see significant improvements in terms of visuals. Hell, just look at the Zelda Wii U tech demo...the lighting blows away any game to date, IMO (aside from CryEngine 3 tech demos).

Sony is talking about 8k resolutions in 3d and shit. There should be no doubt that they will put out a beast of a machine.

Triton55

Should be interesting to see how much of a difference there is between 360/Wii U games and Wii U/720 games if true.

@MUWANdo

Banned
[Nintex];34538462 said:
I get a feeling that MS is flooding the channel with rumors because we get a new Xbox 720, Loop, Fusion, Infinity based on ARM, AMD, IBM, PowerPC, Power7, Bulldozer, Radeon 6000, Radeon 7000, with tablet, without tablet, with Kinect build in, with Kinect 2 build in, running Windows 8, running Windows 9(?) almost like weekly.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

Toki767

I'm somewhat skeptical that this would be true, but definitely would appreciate if the Wii U ends up being not that much weaker in terms of specs than the next Xbox. The PS4 on the other hand I'm expecting to probably be more of a monster.

Proelite

So in less than a year, we went from

Next Xbox graphics with Avatar Graphics
Xbox with 2GB DDR3 system ram and two gpus
Xbox with 7000 series gpus
to Xbox with 6670.

I expect the next piece of news to be that Next Xbox is less powerful than the Wii-U.

Ramblin

Banned
So if it's six times as powerful as a 360 and 20% more powerful than a Wii U, how many times is a Wii U more powerful than a 360?

I have a hard time believing this will be the case. If they're unable to match current PC titles in essentially 2 years time I've got no clue who they're going to sell this to.

Wolfie5

[Nintex];34538504 said:
and oh you don't start:

and launch

October 2013

makes no sense in any scenario.

Yeah, that part makes no sense. Are they going to build up their inventory for a full year? No chance.

offshore

[Nintex];34538462 said:
I get a feeling that MS is flooding the channel with rumors because we get a new Xbox 720, Loop, Fusion, Infinity based on ARM, AMD, IBM, PowerPC, Power7, Bulldozer, Radeon 6000, Radeon 7000, with tablet, without tablet, with Kinect build in, with Kinect 2 build in, running Windows 8, running Windows 9(?) almost like weekly.

Agreed. Over-complicate, fuck up the numbers... it just confuses everyone, probably including Sony and Ninty. This is like when Sony was rumoured to be spreading misinformation about the then PSP2.

Instro

Sounds legit. A good leap over current consoles, with an affordable price at launch without having to sell at a big loss. Why would it matter if its not keeping up with the latest PC tech...?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I've got no clue who they're going to sell this to.

lifestyle3-930x697ixbrp.jpg

So in less than a year, we went from

Next Xbox graphics with Avatar Graphics
Xbox with 2GB DDR3 system ram and two gpus
Xbox with 7000 series gpus
to Xbox with 6670.

I expect the next piece of news to be that Next Xbox is less powerful than the Wii-U.

I think devs speaking about how they've aiming for 720p next gen rather than 1080p was just to soften the blow when we end up playing up scaled 160 x 144 gameboy calibre graphics on our HDTVs.

[Nintex]

When it's about hardware I'd bet on SemiAccurate and Fudzilla and not IGN. They were also sure about the Tegra in the 3DS and look how that worked out.

Sounds incredibly plausible but underwhelming at the same time. That performance yield in comparison to the Wii U is barely anything to shout about if you ask me. Can throw around percentages all you want but that won't mean shit when we get down the multiplatform games. The HD Twins of this generation proved that.

It honestly makes sense if MS is hoping to launch this year and stick an upgraded Kinect in every box. Chances are though whatever the final GPU will be will be very different from the stock 6670.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
And when is the last time Sony fully delivered on quotes like this?

They came out with a Matrix game for PS2, so technically PS2 did let you jack into The Matrix.
/teehee

It won't matter, just like it didnt this past console gen. 3rd party developers aren't going to optomize their software for PS4, especially now considering games will likely be developed for 3 platforms simultaneously.

Agreed
Both this generation and last generation showed that in terms of sales, having the stronger hardware means jack shit

JABEE

I wonder what would happen if the Xbox and WiiU were close to one another and the PS4 was way above in capabilities. Would early-adopters and "hardcore" gamers be okay with a small leap or would they be enamored with a significant "leap?" I'd be really disappointed if Microsoft didn't upgrade their hardware significantly, but Kinect's popularity worries me. Microsoft hasn't shown off a first or third party exclusive traditional game other than Halo and Gears the past three years. I hope that isn't the direction they are going, because there content will always be overshadowed by the Nintendo's quality of games for the whole family.

Special J

Banned
good microsoft strategy would be to put something low performance out to the media (underpowered first gen dev boxes). so that sony uses that as a target hardware benchmark.

this way when ms actually releases the actual hardware its more powerful than sony expected and ends up relatively on the same footing like this gen.

Toki767

NextBox = 1.2 WiiU
NextBox = 6 Xbox 360

WiiU = 5 Xbox 360

Fuzzy, to say the least.

And here I thought the Wii U was supposed to be only a bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3. Unless there's an exponential increase from 5x to 6x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom