• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Xbox 3 GPU ~= AMD 6670, Wii U ~5x current gen, Xbox 3 ~6x, Dev Kits August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

And here I thought the Wii U was supposed to be only a bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3. Unless there's an exponential increase from 5x to 6x.

It's all in "vague generic hardware power units," which really don't mean anything at all. I was just doing some elementary school math in IGN's terms for the curious.

Talamius

And it was pretty cutting edge when it launched in Fall 2005. A 6670-based GPU will not be cutting edge in Fall 2013.

Anyone who thinks we're going to get cutting edge console GPUs from ANYONE in the upcoming generation has lost their mind. Console manufacturers are going to want to turn a profit (or very close to it) right at the start.

[Nintex]

It honestly makes sense if MS is hoping to launch this year and stick an upgraded Kinect in every box. Chances are though whatever the final GPU will be will be very different from the stock 6670.

The stock 6670 doesn't even outperform most of the 4000-series cards. The 4770 would for example yield better results in some scenario's.

Instro

[Nintex];34538807 said:
When it's about hardware I'd bet on SemiAccurate and Fudzilla and not IGN. They were also sure about the Tegra in the 3DS and look how that worked out.

Well that was true at one point or another, iirc Nintendo was unhappy with the chip though.

[Nintex];34538807 said:
When it's about hardware I'd bet on SemiAccurate and Fudzilla and not IGN. They were also sure about the Tegra in the 3DS and look how that worked out.

Not sure if IGN ever reported the "DS2" Tegra rumors, but they were debunking them before E3 2010. Granted, that was the same article that suggested 3DS would have processing power akin to 360, but I take that bit more as a gross exaggeration of the system's shader capabilities than an outright fabrication.

JABEE

It won't matter, just like it didnt this past console gen. 3rd party developers aren't going to optomize their software for PS4, especially now considering games will likely be developed for 3 platforms simultaneously.

If there is a large gulf between WiiU/Xbox and PS4, it'll be interesting to see which consoles developers and early-adopters latch on to. Is there any room for two tiered third party support?

You can't customize an Honda to be a Ferrari.

Customization only go so far.

Oh man, GAF never fails bringing cars into the discussion :lol.

And disappointing next gen hardware will be really, really bad because PC hardware is only getting better and better. If more devs start going console lead, this will spell trouble for everyone. I want shiny new futuristic toys, not "slightly better but not really pushing it anymore" consoles.

Rat Salad

Banned
Microsoft is like the 800 pound gorilla. Since when do gorillas come off with weak hardware for next gen.? Nah I smell a rat. Seems theyre just spreading rumors and snapping their fingers to make Sony twitch and panic.

Acosta

Maybe. I just don't think they need to come out with a super powered system that isn't cost-friendly, especially in an economy like this.

I would be happy with another 360 (with better heat design :p). MS packed the very best they could reasonably put and sold it for 400$ If I remember well. That's a reasonable for a first wave of consumers and worked well for MS, I don't see the benefit of not following that path again.

Oh man, GAF never fails bringing cars into the discussion :lol.

And disappointing next gen hardware will be really, really bad because PC hardware is only getting better and better. If more devs start going console lead, this will spell trouble for everyone. I want shiny new futuristic toys, not "slightly better but not really pushing it anymore" consoles.

Heh ;) But yes, I'm with you, if this is true, I have no idea what AMD and Nvidia are going to do in the top line market from this point. Kepler alone would really outclass this even before being released.

Derrick01

Banned
Disturbing rumors. This would basically set it up to be the casual game system next gen, alongside the wiiU which will no doubt attempt to do the same thing.

And Sony, a dying company, is all that's left to save us. Good times ahead.

Antagon

Why wouldn't they go for a GPU like this? It's affordable, will be low power and a decent step over current consoles. Microsoft might be planning to release a low cost console because of the current crisis and the succes of the Wii. There's no real reason to keep up with PC's and if they stay in the Wiis ballpark multiplats won't be a problem.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If there is a large gulf between WiiU/Xbox and PS4, it'll be interesting to see which consoles developers and early-adopters latch on to. Is there any room for two tiered third party support?

In that scenario, I would probably only buy a PS4.
To give you an idea of what an upset that is, I only own six PS3 games and approximately 60 Xbox 360 games.

Toki767

I want shiny new futuristic toys, not "slightly better but not really pushing it anymore" consoles.

Yeah, for me if I'm going to be spending $300+ on a new console it better either be something significantly improved spec-wise or give a totally new experience from playing. The former seems more likely to happen than the latter, but it's sounding like neither will be the case at the moment.

Orayn

I got 4.8 as well (after being shamed for my poor math skills.)

If a Wii U is even close to that ratio I'll be picking one up.

Me being wrong proves the point: When people spew scalars like this, it means almost nothing. They're trying to combine a number of specs to make a rough comparison, when the real world performance of this stuff is much more complex and nuanced than that. Even if we were talking about scores in synthetic benchmarks, that still doesn't mean anything definitive in terms of "power."

Call me crazy but I kind of like when all 3 consoles are close to each other. I much prefer to own only one console per generation (at least until price drops a lot on the other 2).

The fact that these specs are so underwhelming makes me believe them a little bit more. I guess we should wait and see though, with a new rumor every week maybe something more solid will come out soon.

JABEE

My question is would developers like Epic who make the unreal Engine or Bethesda who own ID support an underpowered console generation? I don't really understand this for Microsoft. Do people really not care about graphics and performance anymore?

TheNatural

My Member!
So what was the difference between the gap from the PS2-GCN-Xbox era? Plenty more than 1/6th I believe.

If this stuff is true, seems too many were ready to writer off the WiiU as way underpowered.

[Nintex]

I don't get it, a 7000-series GPU crammed into a box in time for christmas 2012 sounds much more like what Microsoft would do than a measily AMD 6670 at the end of next year. The latter scenario is classic Nintendo.

Orayn

My question is would developers like Epic who make the unreal Engine or Bethesda who own ID support an underpowered console generation? I don't really understand this for Microsoft. Do people really not care about graphics and performance anymore?

Underpowered compared to what, though? It would still be massive leap over the current consoles, and look how well they've done an admirable job of keeping up over the years.

thuway

[Nintex];34539124 said:
I don't get it, a 7000-series GPU crammed into a box in time for christmas 2012 sounds much more like what Microsoft would do than a measily AMD 6670 at the end of next year. The latter scenario is classic Nintendo.

Agreed. I still think it sucks no one is going with NVidia if the rumors are true about the performance of the GTX 6-- series.

Averon

[Nintex];34539124 said:

Would make sense if MS intends to put Kinect 2.0 in every box. Keep costs lows.

they be in the money making business. They think they can make tons of money without it. Lets face it, they probably can with even less than these rumours.

vg260

Ugh. This is the thing I hate about consoles. People so paranoid about dropping an extra $50-$100 on a box they want to last for 5-6 years. That's nothing. Cough up the cost of an extra game so we can get better hardware.

Derrick01

Banned

They wouldn't really have a choice, they're not going back to PCs. They'd piss and moan about it like we will but in the end what choice would they have as a business?

As for MS they had their Nintendo moment and cashed in, and are apparently going to still cash in at the expense of gamers. If these rumors are true or close to true it will be a very depressing generation for us.

If Microsoft are going for more of Nintendo's market, pushing the Kinect in their next console then I expect no, graphics and (to an extent) performance is not important

I'm gonna say it - Sony its your time to do the right thing. Go get dat 7970 equivalent.

What exactly would Sony gain from being the reverse-Wii in that scenario? They'd end up with a more expensive and less profitable console, and for what? HD budgets are already much too high for any third party to make PS4 exclusives (or PC/PS4 "exclusives") solely by virtue of superior specs.

Would the realities of high end GPU power/heat consumption figure into this at all? If MS wants to be a top shelf media box in addition to everything else, a big noisy fan is going to cramp its style.

thuway

Underpowered compared to what, though? It would still be massive leap over the current consoles, and look how well they've done an admirable job of keeping up over the years.
Power means absolutely nothing. At 10X of a leap, the visual improvement would be most compared to PS2--> PS3 transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom