• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Xbox 3 GPU ~= AMD 6670, Wii U ~5x current gen, Xbox 3 ~6x, Dev Kits August

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sort of bad for GAF.

The writing on the wall says the home consoles will become lower specced (relative to modern PCs) lifestyle devices, heavily linked to different media services and social networks. But GAF as a whole doesn't seem to accept this.

In our current economic state, this razor edge P&L model isn't working.

eso76

i dont
want to
believe this news.
being slightly less powerful than a ps3 didnt harm the x360 (ironically, it harmed sony in fact) but this might end up being considerably less powerful than sony next console, resulting in multiplatform games, even those developed for the lowest common denominator, looking much worse on xbox720.
with MS first party offering i could see myself not even bothering, if thats the case.
might be the first generation i can do with just one console..

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Yeah ok. What could they possibly get away with charging for a system with those parts at the tail end of 2013...?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Or they want to do a quick ripoff of Nintendo again with the tablet thing. Introducing, the Kinectablet!

If MS copies the Wii U padlet and Sony doesn't, that will 100% guarantee that I'm PS4 fo lyfe, regardless of price or power.

charsace

Don't believe this at all. UE4 makes heavy use of tessellation. The ATI 5000, 6000, Nvidia 400, 500 series cards aren't good at it. The DX11.1 cards will be much better at tessellation though. This rumor makes no sense to me. Whatever card MS use will match DX11.1 spec which features better tessellation.

That would be pathetic, I'm going to be so disappointed if we don't get any flashy new technology after waiting this long for a new generation. An old midrange graphics card would be such a letdown.

antonz

A heavily modified 6670 in a console environment would be a monster performance wise.

PC is not the same as console. People always forget that.

Special J

Banned
Or they want to do a quick ripoff of Nintendo again with the tablet thing. Introducing, the Kinectablet!

ms does enough different to differentiate itself, its sony that just blatantly copies and laughably even lambastes the very thing that they copy.

cclollipopmove.jpg

[Nintex]

oh yeah the devkits. According to EDGE the target PC boxes were replaced by actual kits last December. According to Fudzilla and Charlie they will be replaced in March, according to IGN in August. I think someone got to close to finding the truth and MS is trying to cover up the real leaks with some more fake leaks.

StevieP

Banned
Anyone who thinks we're going to get cutting edge console GPUs from ANYONE in the upcoming generation has lost their mind. Console manufacturers are going to want to turn a profit (or very close to it) right at the start.

Requoting this post for everyone to re-read.

I'm gonna say it - Sony its your time to do the right thing. Go get dat 7970 equivalent.

Not going to happen.

That would be pathetic, I'm going to be so disappointed if we don't get any flashy new technology after waiting this long for a new generation. An old midrange graphics card would be such a letdown.

It is literally impossible for a console-sized box to have a current high-end GPU. I'm not sure why this myth is perpetuated over and over.

[Nintex];34539124 said:
I don't get it, a 7000-series GPU crammed into a box in time for christmas 2012 sounds much more like what Microsoft would do than a measily AMD 6670 at the end of next year. The latter scenario is classic Nintendo.

"Classic Nintendo" means it will have a decent amount of power. "Wii Nintendo" means a small step sideways. This rumour is neither. It is a fairly substantial step up from the 360.

IGN was also right as to what was inside the original Wii U dev kits, and the GPU in the final Wii U kit is a step above that from what we've read over in the Wii U thread.

There may be a similar process going on with these initial Loop kits as what IGN discovered with the initial Wii U kits.

Instro

Would the realities of high end GPU power/heat consumption figure into this at all? If MS wants to be a top shelf media box in addition to everything else, a big noisy fan is going to cramp its style.

Presumably, I dont think cutting edge consoles on par with high power PC's is really feasible anymore. Which people have been saying for quite a while now, but few were believing if this thread is any indication.

JABEE

Underpowered compared to what, though? It would still be massive leap over the current consoles, and look how well they've done an admirable job of keeping up over the years.

Isn't the point of next generation hardware the sizzle and being able to experience new ways to play games. With a console that is on par with mid-level PCs that is a disappointment after waiting 8 years by the time this launches. It would feel like Microsoft was just standing still. I don't think the Xbox 360 would have been successful without the awesome games like Gears of War and other games that wouldn't have been possible the gen before. I feel that if Microsoft came out with a system like that it wouldn't appeal to the people that made the 360 popular. Microsoft would either stall the industry's pursuit of better looking and playing games or get blown away.

Nice to see the hardware manufacturers wising up.

Can't bleed forever.

This.

I'm not at all sure if this is true just like any of these hardware rumors for the consoles, but let's face facts: the cost of HD development and keeping on the bleeding edge is just going up, and up and up. When even Sony takes a second look before diving in you know there's a chance MS will end up going more conservative.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well this just means multiplat PS4 games (assuming they go for a much more powerful gpu) will run @ 60fps. right....right?

If there is a large gulf between WiiU/Xbox and PS4, it'll be interesting to see which consoles developers and early-adopters latch on to. Is there any room for two tiered third party support?

I don't think so. It'll be interesting to see what happens, especially on the Japanese side of things. I would think news like this has got be REALLY encouraging if you're Nintendo right now.

I know that as soon as I saw the OP my interest in the Wii U increased tenfold. If I can get an HD Nintendo console with decent enough online and the same exact multiplats as the other 2, I know where my money will likely be going this Holiday Season and the next few after it. I had already planned on building a new PC sometime in 2012, and news like this is making it seem like an even better idea than it did before.

E3 needs to happen like right now..

What exactly would Sony gain from being the reverse-Wii in that scenario? They'd end up with a more expensive and less profitable console, and for what? HD budgets are already much too high for any third party to make PS4 exclusives (or PC/PS4 "exclusives") solely by virtue of superior specs.

There's always a market for a more high end console
Sony don't react to market trends/follow the market as much as they could, they seem to do their own thing (outside of a few half asses efforts like Move)
Sure it's not the most profitable method but it wouldn't surprise me if they go all out for the next gen either

Orayn

Power means absolutely nothing. At 10X of a leap, the visual improvement would be most compared to PS2--> PS3 transition.

Massive visual leaps like that can't keep happening, though. We crossed a critical threshold when it comes to poly counts after the Xbox/PS2/GC generation. Textures have always been more of a matter of artistry, but we've made some huge strides in those too. The improvements will only get more subtle as time goes on.

Isn't the point of next generation hardware the sizzle and being able to experience new ways to play games. With a console that is on par with mid-level PCs that is a disappointment after waiting 8 years by the time this launches. It would feel like Microsoft was just standing still. I don't think the Xbox 360 would have been successful without the awesome games like Gears of War and other games that wouldn't have been possible the gen before. I feel that if Microsoft came out with a system like that it wouldn't appeal to the people that made the 360 popular. Microsoft would either stall the industry's pursuit of better looking and playing games or get blown away.

I actually see relatively few titles on 360/PS3 that couldn't have been done the generation before, at least from a gameplay perspective.

Xenon

The writing on the wall says the home consoles will become lower specced (relative to modern PCs) lifestyle devices, heavily linked to different media services and social networks. But GAF as a whole doesn't seem to accept this.

Yeah because MS lost tons of money this gen =P

Azure J

Dunno what to say really. On one side, I called this shit so long ago not because of "hurr durr it will be underpowered because herp Nintendoez, Kinectz, chasin' dat mainstream monies" but because of what was available, Microsoft's push towards overall profitability and console stability from the get-go and the rumored card still being a quantum leap from what's going on in the seven year old 360. (Still find it weird that it's a 6670 vs a 6770 for the baseline... Go figure.)

On the other hand, wouldn't a Trinity part or 7000 series chip (7750 is the one to keep an eye on especially) do the same thing and handily be the best to expect in this scenario? I'm especially interested in the former as everything I was thinking pointed to them going SoC with some GPU that would seemingly demolish the rumored 6670, unless Trinity's GPU part was the 6670 all along... *Inception.gif*

Toki767

Yeah ok. What could they possibly get away with charging for a system with those parts at the tail end of 2013...?

I'd say they could easily get away with charging $400 for it if a new version of Kinect is bundled with it and popularity hasn't died off.

Yeah, I agree, it seems to be the trend. None the less, I hope MS decides to pack a little bit more of a punch for the non Kinect crowds.

At the same time, packing Kinect 2.0 in every box will drive prices up, so if they go that route.. Im hoping this rumor is false, but I am sure we will have to begin to accept lower specs.

If Microsoft are going for more of Nintendo's market, pushing the Kinect in their next console then I expect no, graphics and (to an extent) performance is not important

and what about the other half of the market (the half that push X360 2x ahead of previous Xbox gen ) ?

i really doubt Microsoft will go for "wii userbase" with next console. Maybe "also such users" but not only.

IF they won't launch this year , i'm pretty sure they'll have a much better hardware performance over Wii U

the config of the opening post and Ign rumors, is good just for a launch planned on 2012.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
IGN is full of it

why would a console... which comes out almost TWO FULL CALENDAR YEARS FROM NOW be based on a design that is over a year old right now?

7000 series is smarter designed for power and heat - which would allow higher clocks if wanted relative to a 6000 series

this screams stupid

late 2013 would be in time for 8000 series...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
epic fail

But it's also good news for the big three and the other publishers,Sony, Nintendo,Microsoft will release cheaper consoles and will get the same games from the publishers( think of Xboxx/Cube/PS2 era) and developers will not rise their already big budget on their games since what we will get is mostly the same games as now nut with higher image quality and more AA.

Ridley327

they be in the money making business. They think they can make tons of money without it. Lets face it, they probably can with even less than these rumours.

The amount of developers who have gone tits up over the course of this gen has been pretty dramatic. Going with a full leap forward would undoubtedly take even more down. I really don't have any issues with a half-step, but I get why people would be disappointed with that. What I hope they can understand is it's simply an unsustainable process right now.

The death of mid-range gaming for the most part has been a terrible, terrible thing, but this is the way the industry wants it and, as far as I can tell, this is the only way they can keep going without dying completely.

Cheap, cool-running, and reliable hardware from the start sounds good to me. I'm skeptical Microsoft would allow the gulf between them and Nintendo to remain that small however.

thuway

What exactly would Sony gain from being the reverse-Wii in that scenario? They'd end up with a more expensive and less profitable console, and for what? HD budgets are already much too high for any third party to make PS4 exclusives (or PC/PS4 "exclusives") solely by virtue of superior specs.

Even if for third party games, the Sony console would be the go to system for 1080p and 60 fps if Next Box and Wii U were 720p 30 fps. I'd pay for that alone.

Cipherr

Same here. If Microsoft provides a similar service to what they have now and a solid launch lineup I won't give a rats ass about graphics or processing power.

Oh look, an actual gamer.

Yeah Im with you, bring me the good games, and great supporting services and I can handle this range of power easily. Ive got a PC for the bleeding edge stuff. Im more concerned with the rate of shuttering studios dying from sky high dev costs than I am about extra power that I could live without. Its all about the games after a certain point. And 5-6x this gen will be fine.

Even if for third party games, the Sony console would be the go to system for 1080p and 60 fps. I'd pay for that alone.

And thats fine, but there arent enough of 'you' in the console world to make it worth it. We have seen this before in previous generations.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Exactly as I suspected. Wii U comes out this summer, NextBox hits next year with marginally better power and a better Kinect, and PS3 waits until late 2013/2014 with a system that bests both.

Good news for Nintendo, though, about the power. I figured it would be that way since we hit the level of diminishing returns.

Massive visual leaps like that can't keep happening, though. We crossed a critical threshold when it comes to poly counts after the Xbox/PS2/GC generation. Textures have always been more of a matter of artistry, but we've made some huge strides in those too. The improvements will only get more subtle as time goes on.

I actually see relatively few titles on 360/PS3 that couldn't have been done the generation before, at least from a gameplay perspective.

Heck, even Samaritan doesn't look like as big a leap over, say, GoW3 or Arkham City as those games look compared to a top-of-the-line PS2 game.

Special J

Banned
ya the diminishing returns on graphics makes it that much more important to have much more powerful hardware. the specs that are rumored would essentially be the same graphics we have now but just higher resolution.

gatti-man

We should wait for a confirmation before getting excited!

Excited? Only 20% up on the wiiU isnt enough. Its coming to market behind nintendo the difference must be noticeable. Plus that leaves the door wide open for ps4 to grab a truly next gen chip and be head and shoulders above the competition.

PS4 will not be high end. I can assure you that much.

Wazzim, ceo of sony.

cilonen

Sony is talking about 8k resolutions in 3d and shit. There should be no doubt that they will put out a beast of a machine.

I'm still waiting to watch 37 simultaneous 1080p feeds straight from my PS3 or whatever it was they showed pre-launch.

The more power the better, but man, Sony are the past masters at ridiculously overblown hype.

Cheap, cool-running, and reliable hardware from the start sounds good to me. I'm skeptical Microsoft would allow the gulf between them and Nintendo to remain that small however.

Why is that? Theyre both chasing the same audience it seems, and a slight bump in power/visuals isnt going to make a difference to that demographic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom