• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Xbox 3 GPU ~= AMD 6670, Wii U ~5x current gen, Xbox 3 ~6x, Dev Kits August

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
IGN is full of it

why would a console... which comes out almost TWO FULL CALENDAR YEARS FROM NOW be based on a design that is over a year old right now?

7000 series is smarter designed for power and heat - which would allow higher clocks if wanted relative to a 6000 series

this screams stupid

late 2013 would be in time for 8000 series...

Lj8Yr.jpg

Would the realities of high end GPU power/heat consumption figure into this at all? If MS wants to be a top shelf media box in addition to everything else, a big noisy fan is going to cramp its style.

This point can not be underestimated. For a living-room appliance, used for many more things than games, it's crucial that it is as silent as possible. Even the 360 slim can be too noisy at times (compared to a DVD-player, for example).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The amount of developers who have gone tits up over the course of this gen has been pretty dramatic. Going with a full leap forward would undoubtedly take even more down. I really don't have any issues with a half-step, but I get why people would be disappointed with that. What I hope they can understand is it's simply an unsustainable process right now.

The death of mid-range gaming for the most part has been a terrible, terrible thing, but this is the way the industry wants it and, as far as I can tell, this is the only way they can keep going without dying completely.

This argument again...
Does someone need to post screens of the full-detail assets from this gen that are dumbed down to be practical on current consoles?

ksamedi

I think we're reaching a point where processing power doesn't really matter anymore. If the devs can't keep up with all this technology why should anyone care if it has 10 times the power or 20 times? I don't want games to take 5 years to develop every time. I think this will be a nice middle ground for developers where they can build on the knowledge they gained this gen and work more efficiently next gen.

danwarb

IGN is full of it

why would a console... which comes out almost TWO FULL CALENDAR YEARS FROM NOW be based on a design that is over a year old right now?

7000 series is smarter designed for power and heat - which would allow higher clocks if wanted relative to a 6000 series

this screams stupid

You make a lot of sense. Early Xbox 360 dev kits had X800's, which was an older generation GPU than the system ended up with?

It would be substantial enough that Sony would be the oddman out in the 3 way race with Nintendo and Microsoft likely setting the multiplatform standards.

Then make it a cheaper and cooler 6870 and have all multiplat games feature 720p+4xMSAA @ 60fps or 1080p @ 60 instead of x2MSAA at 30fps or something.

Zinga

Banned
Personally I am fine with these specs, it should allow for a significant boost in graphics whilst keeping costs of the consoles down.

Losing money on hardware isn't a good business model anymore imo, especially in the age of cheap and plentiful GPU power. For the sake of gaming, these devices really need to be profitable.

charsace

IGN is full of it

this screams stupid

This is my thinking too. The new ATI cards are much better designed than the their other DX11 cards in every way and meet DX11.1 specs.

Christine

This makes sense to me. Microsoft's advantages re: Live give them a serious edge in platform preference for multiplatform software. To maximize this benefit, their hardware should be closely comparable to at least one competitor. This can be much more reliably accomplished by aiming to beat Nintendo's console than taking a pot-shot at Sony's moving target.

Toki767

I don't want games to take 5 years to develop every time. I think this will be a nice middle ground for developers where they can build on the knowledge they gained this gen and work more efficiently next gen.

It'll only take 5 years to develop the first time. Then we'll get yearly updates that they call sequels.

Even if for third party games, the Sony console would be the go to system for 1080p and 60 fps if Next Box and Wii U were 720p 30 fps. I'd pay for that alone.

And I'm sure you and quite a few others on NeoGAF would, but that won't exactly amount to a massive advantage for Sony as far as the broader market is concerned.

gatti-man

I think we're reaching a point where processing power doesn't really matter anymore. If the devs can't keep up with all this technology why should anyone care if it has 10 times the power or 20 times? I don't want games to take 5 years to develop every time. I think this will be a nice middle ground for developers where they can build on the knowledge they gained this gen and work more efficiently next gen.

Oh man someone needs to show you a pc game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Good. Keep power relatively in check. Need to keep software budgets from ballooning even more than they already have. That way we can get more games. People shouting for 10X power levels will doom release schedules to a dry wasteland.

In this case, more is not better. Stop being part of the problem! :)

Azure J

IGN is full of it

this screams stupid

Like I'm thinking there will be customization making it so it's literally not a raw 6000 series card getting into the console and as such there'll be things to accommodate for the technical progression, but at the same time, everything about the 7000 series sounds so scarily/coincidentally poised to be in a console that I find this rumor both strange yet oddly compelling.

It's still a rumor, but damn something is telling me this might be true.

GAF on suicide watch?

This much however is a given. So many folks are going to commit gaming enthusiast suicide over the coming months if things don't change regarding next gen consoles and their rumored deadlines.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Oh look, an actual gamer.

Yeah Im with you, bring me the good games, and great supporting services and I can handle this range of power easily. Ive got a PC for the bleeding edge stuff. Im more concerned with the rate of shuttering studios dying from sky high dev costs than I am about extra power that I could live without. Its all about the games after a certain point. And 5-6x this gen will be fine.

stuttery framerates make good games worse. I guess that doesn't count as a "game" though.

Orayn

Good. Keep power relatively in check. Need to keep software budgets from ballooning even more than they already have. That way we can get more games. People shouting for 10X power levels will doom release schedules to a dry wasteland.

Agreed. Better hardware is a surprisingly small part of the equation when it comes to making the next generation better than this one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Agree completely.

MS is doing the right thing, if true. It allows them to keep costs low and release the console for a lower pricepoint--a HUGE issue in today's economy.

Newsboy

Neo Member
What a pack of whiny girls you all are. If we currently get games that look as good as Skyrim/Crysis 2 and upcoming Far Cry 3 can you IMAGINE the shit a 6x more powerful console will come out with?

Just relax and enjoy the awesome gaming that'll eventuate.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Ugh people are still comparing PC tech to Console tech 1:1... They are not the same! just because your pc struggles with games on a 6670 doesn't mean a brand new console will. Who knows customized this chip is, how it's connected to the cpu or the kind of ram that it has.

Microsoft made huge strides in console design since the xbox, I bet they will be very smart this time around.

TunaLover

Excited? Only 20% up on the wiiU isnt enough. Its coming to market behind nintendo the difference must be noticeable. Plus that leaves the door wide open for ps4 to grab a truly next gen chip and be head and shoulders above the competition.
This exiting because WiiU and 720 will be very close, the gap will not be noticeable. Do you really think that Sony will go $500 show again? Developers will set their standart according the both WiiU/720, not the odd one anyway.

thuway

I really hope Sony goes with NVidia on a 6-- series card that is atleast as powerful as the old GTX 580. Flooding the channel with their first party titles, and getting higher resolution / better performance for games for multiplats- would be key to the hardcore.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So a sub $299 launch price?

360 already hit that with balls-to-the-wall power for the time. $299.99 for this in a year or two would be really overpriced.

cilonen

This argument again...
Does someone need to post screens of the full-detail assets from this gen that are dumbed down to be practical on current consoles?

Amen. I'm completely with you.

If a guy largely working on his own in his spare time can do a 4k retex mod of Fallout 3 and things like Metro 2033 and The Witcher 2 are do-able...

[Nintex]

Agreed. Better hardware is a surprisingly small part of the equation when it comes to making the next generation better than this one.

But it just doesn't make any sense. A 7000-series part would be more cost effective, faster(more powerful whatever) and not generate as much heat as a 6000-series counterpart. There's no reason for Microsoft to use a 6000-series chip if they're launching fall 2013. Fall 2012 for this chipset is debatable but still unlikely given the advances of the 7000-series.

Branduil

GAF is going to explode if Wii U really is only slightly weaker than Xbox 3.

This seems pretty realistic to me, people need to realize that with the size and power requirements for consoles, you really cannot compete with high-end PCs any more. They just require too much power and cooling. And I don't think it's terribly important for console makers from a marketshare standpoint.

Guess they want a really cheap system.

Also why do people think Sony going have some under power system , Vita shows us that while they won't go crazy anymore they will have pretty good system in term of specs.

keit4

Banned

Ey, listen to this man GAF.

Orayn

[Nintex];34539670 said:
But it just doesn't make any sense. A 7000-series part would be more cost effective, faster(more powerful whatever) and not generate as much heat as a 6000-series counterpart. There's no reason for Microsoft to use a 6000-series chip if they're launching fall 2013. Fall 2012 for this chipset is debatable but still unlikely given the advances of the 7000-series.

Oh, I still think IGN's specs and timeline are bogus. I'm just saying that a new console with more modest hardware wouldn't be the end of the world.

What next-gen consoles really need is a powerful, accessible DD platform. Let devs of all shapes and sizes release games from $1 to $60. Let them do subscriptions. Let them do F2P. Let them fund-develop/crowdsource stuff. Just end the AAA hegemony for Chrissakes.

botty

Banned

Why have power when you can have profit!

Zeal

Banned
Agree completely.

MS is doing the right thing, if true. It allows them to keep costs low and release the console for a lower pricepoint--a HUGE issue in today's economy.

I believe people would be much more willing to pay more for an experience that cannot be achieved on 360. People are not willing to pay more for games that look slightly better than what they could play on current gen systems. Not to mention the games would start looking like crap even compared to mid-range PCs in late 2013/early 2014.

Do not underestimate people's desire for the new, high powered shit.

7threst

Yeah this. Gimme games, not horsepower that isn't going to show it's potential the first few years anyway.

Azure J

I really hope Sony goes with NVidia on a 6-- series card that is atleast as powerful as the old GTX 580. Flooding the channel with their first party titles, and getting higher resolution / better performance for games for multiplats- would be key to the hardcore.

GTX 580 is a monster, I don't see any consoles happening with that in it or anything equivalent really. ~ >560Ti is the highest I'd reason a chance at.

That being said console makers kinda hate nVidia lately. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wii U=PS2 confirmed

Microsoft don't give a fuck bout graphics confirmed.

If the Wii U has a good internet system Microsoft is basically ceding their market to Nintendo.

It's not like Nintendo can't afford to throw money at Activision the same way they upset the Monster Hunter cart.

TAJ

What a pack of whiny girls you all are. If we currently get games that look as good as Skyrim/Crysis 2 and upcoming Far Cry 3 can you IMAGINE the shit a 6x more powerful console will come out with?

Just relax and enjoy the awesome gaming that'll eventuate.

They'll be so underpowered by 2017 that I probably will actually cry.

antonz

The writing has been on the wall for awhile. Microsoft Senior staff stressing profitability in later hardware etc.

I would also say this is probably not an early devkit as their have been rumblings for awhile now of devkits in the wild. If IBM is manufacturing special chips etc at this point its for a final devkit not an early one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom