• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Xbox 3 GPU ~= AMD 6670, Wii U ~5x current gen, Xbox 3 ~6x, Dev Kits August

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkChild

Banned
BTW, 6670 is more like 3x better than Xenos, not 6x. And if that would make WiiU something around 20% slower, which is closer to 2x better than Xenos, than its pretty accurate to say WiiU is middle range 4xxx series GPU.

If you think MS is going for 6670 and 1080p than don't expect any graphical updates, because solely going for 1080p will cost them around 2.5x more performances. Add to that fact that alot of games on HD consoles this gen are running lower than that and you get the picture.

The RSX was over 200mm^2 and that will not happen again.
To be fair, the GS in the PS2 was 272mm^2 and the system released at 299USD.

Sony always goes for the high-end market. The only difference now is that they won't go crazy about it with exotic and pricey hardware like they did the last two gens.

If this is true, then that rumor of two different versions of the console is likely true as well. Gaming on that GPU in 3-4 years would be horrible I'd think. With the drop in bluray and HD prices, Sony could drop a comparative monster at $399.

2 Different consoles sounds like a terrible idea. Unless the only difference is 1080p between the strong of the two would be getting the short end of the stick. I could see them using a 7670 instead since it will be around by then.

DarkChild

Banned
It would be also pretty strange to see MS preparing for next gen with AMD just to put something weak and off shelf like 6670. I mean, they are pretty satisfied with one another, and MS seemed pretty happy with this gen GPU, they hit jackopt and it wasn't to expensive.

I can see Microsoft thinking the Kinect is going to be more succesful than the Upad. There's probably more to Kinect next time around, too. What I mean is that the Upad and Kinect are definitely not cancelling each other out in this discussion - one could have significant more appeal than the other.
I'm not arguing this, in fact i see a Kinect that recognizes finger gestures a superior input method to what the WiiU could offer in most cases. Anyway, i didn't mention the input methods because WiiU tablet and Kinect 2.0 are known quantities of the equation, so they don't enter the speculative park.
I don't think you can claim this is true at all. To be honest, it should be more likely the other way around given how budgets have exploded when trying to compete over creating better graphics over the last few years.
It's just a fact DCking, that's the way most studios have been approaching development for years, it's an industry thing. The strong traditional gaming franchises work like that.
Whether it's 20% or 50% more powerful than the Wii U (hell, it might be less powerful!) either is largely irrelevant even.
It has everything to do with the rumor that claims only a marginal improvement, if it ended up being 50% more then the rumor is proven to be pure shit.

DCKing

To be fair, the GS in the PS2 was 272mm^2 and the system released at 299USD.
It had 4MB of EDRAM on die didn't it? That means it's not nearly as complex. Silicon also didn't nearly draw as much power or get so hot on those sizes in 2000.
It has everything to do with the rumor that claims only a marginal improvement, if it ended up being 50% more then the rumor is proven to be pure shit.
Ah come on. The Xbox was in many more than 50% as powerful as the GameCube. When you're talking percentages of increase the discussion becomes almost meaningless.

remembering the days of 'Xbox 1.5' what cute term are we going to use for the next Xbox until it starts delivering true next gen visuals (as it almost certainly will)?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Another thing lost in this is what optical media will MS go with?

It'll have to be Blu-ray. Microsoft is pushing the Xbox as a multimedia platform and BD is the HD format of choice, and despite how vehemently some will state that the platform holder "won't want to support Sony by supporting Blu-ray", HD-DVD will not be resurrected - the format is completely dead. Theoretically, the optical storage solution could be a proprietary one based on BD, as Nintendo is doing with the Wii U, but that would result in the loss of traditional BD playback (i.e. movies), which runs antithetical to the aforementioned goal.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this thread has 1300+ posts, i admit i read only the first and last page. is there any reason to believe this rumor over the others, or do people just like bad news?

Xun

I doubt Microsoft would release a "next Gen" console with such a lack luster gpu for the time it is coming out. If they do release it with this gpu then they will be the "wii" of this generation and will have to release a new console sooner than the other companies. I'm thinking MS is flooding the channels with bogus "leaks" to throw off its main competitor, Sony. Only time will tell.
Not a bad idea actually.

But I doubt they'd do that.

McHuj

this thread has 1300+ posts, i admit i read only the first and last page. is there any reason to believe this rumor over the others, or do people just like bad news?

I dunno. I think they only thing people should take away from these rumors is that some silicon production started for the next xbox. dev's will be getting devkits with actual hardware at some point between March and August.

The original Semiaccurate rumor/news only presented that production started for an early rev of the SOC at IBM and Global Foundries, mass production at the end of the year. Die size and the GPU, were clearly stated as speculation and assumptions. (for those that actually read the article)

pestul

remembering the days of 'Xbox 1.5' what cute term are we going to use for the next Xbox until it starts delivering true next gen visuals (as it almost certainly will)?

Yep, Xbox 1.5 definitely had a following here during the rumour phase. E3 is going to be awesome this year.

DarkChild

Banned
Yep, Xbox 1.5 definitely had a following here during the rumour phase. E3 is going to be awesome this year.
No body knew how good GPU in 360 was back than so its even harder to think their good relationship with AMD this time would result in...6670...Yikes, its hard to even write it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BTW, 6670 is more like 3x better than Xenos, not 6x. And if that would make WiiU something around 20% slower, which is closer to 2x better than Xenos, than its pretty accurate to say WiiU is middle range 4xxx series GPU.

If you think MS is going for 6670 and 1080p than don't expect any graphical updates, because solely going for 1080p will cost them around 2.5x more performances. Add to that fact that alot of games on HD consoles this gen are running lower than that and you get the picture.
The key wording of that rumor is 'derived from 6670'. From that, I would expect EDRAM added and some other trickery that would make it faster than off the shelf 6670. Possibly faster clock too given the smaller process used.

TheMan

apparently IGN has been fairly accurate with a couple of hardware predictions in the past.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The key wording of that rumor is 'derived from 6670'. From that I would expect EDRAM added and some other trickery that would make it faster than off the shelf 6670. Possibly faster clock too given the smaller process used.

Yeah, the IGN guy says as much on twitter too. He says it's a custom part, it's not an actual 6670, but something 'akin' to it. Bump the shader alus a bit, bump clockspeed a bit, bump bandwidth...there's various possibilities there to make up the difference.

DarkChild

Banned
The key wording of that rumor is 'derived from 6670'. From that, I would expect EDRAM added and some other trickery that would make it faster than off the shelf 6670. Possibly faster clock too given the smaller process used.
They won't go for eDRAM this time if they can't get something like 64 megs. Obviously DR is feature, and having couple tiles will take some performances, plus its pain in the ass for artists... And you lose silicone that you could use for something else(say actually better GPU).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They won't go for eDRAM this time if they can't get something like 64 megs. Obviously DR is feature, and having couple tiles will take some performances, plus its pain in the ass for artists... And you lose silicone that you could use for something else(say actually better GPU).
Yeah, the IGN guy says as much on twitter too. He says it's a custom part, it's not an actual 6670, but something 'akin' to it. Bump the shader alus a bit, bump clockspeed a bit, bump bandwidth...there's various possibilities there to make up the difference.
It's curious that the IGN rumor doesn't say a word about the CPU and GPU parts being a SOC. If they are, then the EDRAM would come into question, for sure. I mean, they'd need at least 40MB of it to be usable for 1080p, and how big would that SOC be then.

I dunno, I just generally don't like the SOC rumor at all. If true, it would mean that low cost and small packaging is a major driver in their hardware design. On the other hand it doesn't sound so out there. MS probably *loves* that they were able to unify CPU and GPU on slim X360, and how much more cost control it gives them, not to mention less headache in part resourcing, assembling and other such things.

Ah come on. The Xbox was in many more than 50% as powerful as the GameCube. When you're talking percentages of increase the discussion becomes almost meaningless.
I most apologize for being slow, i fail to understand the relevance of your xbox/GC comparison. Xbox was a generation ahead in terms of supported API and effects (not computationally wise) it was released 3 months or a few days apart depending on territory than the GC. But this is not important at all.

It is the rumor that pulls of the percentage figures. I'm not pretending to be tech savy ,but im also not too fond of the stupid x% more stuff. Anyway, a marginal improvement ove the WiiU is the less likely scenario and an incredible foolish competitive move by MS if it was the case. This has been the tough that permeated the majority of people minds when the Wii became the most successful console this gen, can't blame them tough.

DCKing

. I mean, they'd need at least 40MB of it to be usable for 1080p, and how big would that SOC be then.

I dunno, I just generally don't like the SOC rumor at all. If true, it would mean that low cost and small packaging is a major driver in their hardware design. On the other hand it doesn't sound so out there. MS probably *loves* that they were able to unify CPU and GPU on slim X360, and how much more cost control it gives them, not to mention less headache in part resourcing, assembling and other such things.
The Wii U is said to have 32MB EDRAM, so 40MB should be possible in the next Xbox. It doesn't even have to be on die with the SoC, it wasn't on die in the original 360 and probably won't be in the Wii U either.

Anyway, a marginal improvement ove the WiiU is the less likely scenario and an incredible foolish competitive move by MS if it was the case. This has been the tough that permeated the majority of people minds when the Wii became the most successful console this gen, can't blame them tough.

Foolish?

What if it lets them beat Nintendo on pricing, something that nobody's done for ages?

DCKing

I most apologize for being slow, i fail to understand the relevance of your xbox/GC comparison. Xbox was a generation ahead in terms of supported API and effects (not computationally wise) it was released 3 months or a few days apart depending on territory than the GC. But this is not important at all.
The point is that the Xbox, besides being much more powerful and capable of doing more effects, never set itself truly apart from the GameCube.

That's why I'm saying: the percentage difference between one console and the other is irrelevant in this discussion. We know that next Xbox won't blow away the Wii U, and that there won't be a perceptible difference between them for most people. This is what people need to accept from this news. Not that it is exactly 20% more powerful. That is just an estimation, and even if accurate it will change.

hadareud

The Translator
The point is that the Xbox, besides being much more powerful and capable of doing more effects, never set itself truly apart from the GameCube.

That's why I'm saying: the percentage difference between one console and the other is irrelevant in this discussion. We know that next Xbox won't blow away the Wii U, and that there won't be a perceptible difference between them for most people. This is what people need to accept from this news. Not that it is exactly 20% more powerful. That is just an estimation, and even if accurate it will change.

Exactly.

Apart from this not being news and us knowing absolutely nothing at all.

DCKing

Apart from this not being news and us knowing absolutely nothing at all.
To be fair this wouldn't be such a prevalent opinion if the article said it was five times as powerful as the Wii U. IGN has a good track record on this, and we do know something now.

The denial theories in this thread are golden.

zendavis

Banned
I imagine Microsoft has learned from Nintendo and Sony that you don't need bleeding edge technology in order to turn a profit. Their console will be good enough to show a fair increase in power from the 360 and they will sell boat loads of the console to the average customer.

That's all they need. No need to overcompensate.

Xbox 720p, maybe?

IGN does have a good track record with rumors and this next generation doesn't seem to be the arms race to graphical power as this gen was.

I know people are will be disappointed, but the focus this gen is interface and functionality, not power. This means sacrificing expenses allowed in parts and dumping it in software R&D.

if these rumours are true, the percentage difference will mean even less than it did back then. it's true that the Xbox had a much more advanced architecture than the GameCube, even if the gamecube was fairly close to it in terms of flops or poly pushing.

a huge issue for the Wii, arguably, is that it can't run modern engines. if the Wii U has essentially the same feature set as the 360, that ensures that it will get a large number of the main multiplatform titles because porting to it will be easy, since it's architecture will be so similar.

yeah maybe they'll have to scale down an effect here or there, but it's a very different workload to what the Wii required for it's multiplatform releases this gen. the closer they are in architecture, the better for Nintendo... and it looks like they're going to be very close in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom