• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Xbox 3 GPU ~= AMD 6670, Wii U ~5x current gen, Xbox 3 ~6x, Dev Kits August

Status
Not open for further replies.

muu

Kind of an off-question, but would this mean the Samaritan demo of Epic's wouldn't be able to run on the new Xbox? Assuming this rumor to be true, what does that mean for Epic?

At 720p/30fps (which the IGN feed is running at) and some of the less noticeable effects/objects removed, why not? Like the previous discussions here regarding future 720p gaming, you're probably going to get either super-detailed 720p games running at 30 frames, or something closer to what we have this gen running at 1080p/60fps. The former would be nice for SP, the latter any MP game.

Satoho

Banned
meh, all in all, I still think the zelda demo looks considerably better.

This is a tech demo, I can't believe we're all gonna fall for this. Remember how everyone drooled for Sony's PS3 Tech-Demo of Final Fantasy 7??? I am not gonna get fooled again.

YES I saw the Day & Night button... When other factors such as AI and multiple characters/polygons, and ACTUAL Gameplay come into the mix, get ready to watch the framerate drop...

Tech-Demos are there for the superficial gamers. I just want more honesty, i.e. less FMVs, more actual GAMEPLAY!!! If you think it's too early to see gameplay, you're barking up the wrong tree.

The day all of us stop dropping our jaws at FMVs or tech-demos aimed to fool us, is the day we'll see AAA titles which deliver the "What You See Is What You Get" relationship we are always looking for.

MEH Everything I see and hear so far about next-gen...

I'm confused, what does this mean?

While twice the power of an Xbox 360 is broadly above market expectations, Develop’s source claimed this is in fact less than some studios had expected. - So developers expected more power in WiiU?

Next sentence...

“I've heard [a project designer] complain it's underpowered compared to what Nintendo announced, resulting in people having to de-scale their plans,” the source added. Whats underpowered, the WiiU? What has Nintendo announced so far?
don't dwell on that article, just read the last sentence, all you need to know.

That unverified calculation, if true, echoes claims from the Develop source who claims the Wii U is far more powerful than current expectations.
aka they're hearing the same shit as IGN for the most part. No need to freak out people.

So basically everything is going to underpowered next-gen? That's what I'm getting from all of this.

Note: going to get into some fake maths here lol

Eh. I think Wii U being 5x more powerful is what is throwing everyone off because thats not the system we saw at E3. The system we seemed more akin to a juiced up Xbox 360. According to Develop, the Wii U that we saw last year was only 2x more powerful but things have changed since then. So if this thread title said: "IGN Rumor: Wii U ~2x current gen, Xbox 3 ~6x, Dev Kits August" I think people would have a completely different perception.

But yeah, if these specs are true it seems like it isn't as bleeding edge as the 360 was. That doesn't mean developers won't find interesting ways to use the hardware. Don't use the PC GPU equivalent for a benchmark of how the will graphics look, because as we all know, multiplatform developers primarily develop to push the consoles and then just let the PC have details sliders for things they can easily turn up like resolution, shadows and texture resolution.

DCKing

Kind of an off-question, but would this mean the Samaritan demo of Epic's wouldn't be able to run on the new Xbox? Assuming this rumor to be true, what does that mean for Epic?
There was no way that the next Xbox would even be remotely close to the specs required to run Samaritan even before this article surfaced. This doesn't mean anything for Epic, it was just a demo.
Eh. I think Wii U being 5x more powerful is what is throwing everyone off because thats not the system we saw at E3.
There was nothing we saw on the Wii U that was an actual game. There couldn't have been, because the devkits were only just out, and were faulty and underperforming. Nobody could judge then, nobody can judge now. Later revisions of the Wii U devkit did have a more powerful GPU than the GPU mentioned for the Next Xbox here, but apparently that tells us nothing about the Xbox 360 multiplier we have to use either!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
(Said this in the Wii U thread, this move is basically designed at taking Sony out of the game)

If the rumours are true about rough parity between Nintendo and Microsoft, and I can see that being the case, then it basically kneecaps Sony. Especially if they are running later, which they probably are.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, their battle was won this generation. Everything was thrown at the 360 to stop Sony gaining dominance of the living room. It worked better than they could have hoped, and reversed the previous generation. Their focus has always been services and content delivery, locking people into Live. All they have to do is reinforce it now, and they have Kinect as their other angle. They don't need to repeat the same approach as last time, their battle has been won.

Nintendo's priority is just to maintain parity with the others, so they inherit all the 3rd party games they missed out on this time. And if the rumours turn out true then they were obviously pretty clued-up on what direction Microsoft would take. Nintendo will have the tablet to define themselves, if they can solidify all that with a killer-app and get the message across simply, plus their natural strength of 1st party games.

There is no desire from publishers to sky-rocket the costs of development any more than needed, this generation has been damaging enough. The risks are getting too high. So with Nintendo and Microsoft drawing the battle line, it puts Sony in an impossible position. If they come to market later, higher-specs won't have much impact because the market has changed and games will be developed for the easiest common denominator. Plus the systems will most likely be cheaper, and have been on the market a lot longer. Especially in the case of Nintendo.

So it puts Sony in a difficult position of how to differentiate the PS4. They don't have the Wii or Kinect to play off, Move has bombed, and going the high-spec route later is a very high-risk strategy without any guarantee of reward.

It's a pincer-movement by Nintendo/Microsoft.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This is a tech demo, I can't believe we're all gonna fall for this. Remember how everyone drooled for Sony's PS3 Tech-Demo of Final Fantasy 7??? I am not gonna get fooled again.

YES I saw the Day & Night button... When other factors such as AI and multiple characters/polygons, and ACTUAL Gameplay come into the mix, get ready to watch the framerate drop...

Tech-Demos are there for the superficial gamers. I just want more honesty, i.e. less FMVs, more actual GAMEPLAY!!! If you think it's too early to see gameplay, you're barking up the wrong tree.

The day all of us stop dropping our jaws at FMVs or tech-demos aimed to fool us, is the day we'll see AAA titles which deliver the "What You See Is What You Get" relationship we are always looking for.

It was running on alpha hardware which has been confirmed to have gotten a considerable bump in the final devkit. Not only should you expect it to look that good but you should expect it to look better.

popeutlal

don't dwell on that article, just read the last sentence, all you need to know.

aka they're hearing the same shit as IGN for the most part. No need to freak out people.
I know, I was just trying to understand what those quotes mean, I've read them several times and can't figure out what the author is trying to say...did the author not read the article after he was done writing it?

beje

Banned
It was running on alpha hardware which has been confirmed to have gotten a considerable bump in the final devkit. Not only should you expect it to look that good but you should expect it to look better.

Besides, WiiU (and for any extension, Xbox 720) will be very easy to develop for due to being a known architecture. I remember the Darksiders 2 devs telling it just took 2 days to port the game 1:1 and some extra lines of code to stream it to the controller so we will see better results for the first-gen games than we're currently used to.

Nintendo isn't Sony. I'm sorry, but if you knew anything of the history of Zelda tech demo's, then you'd know the final product always turns out looking better. Ocarina of Time looked far superior to the 1995 tech demo and Twilight Princess/Wind Waker ended up looking far better than the Spaceworld tech demo.

So, I don't think trying to be a hipster by down playing the relevance of tech demo's is working at all. Zelda Wii U will look on par or better than that tech demo. It's even been confirmed on several occasions to be running in real time on the hardware. Alpha hardware to boot. Fact.

Dabanton

And the rest of that sentence.

Microsoft is estimating they might even get to 8x the Xbox 360. But another insider clarified that no one in the industry has development kits yet and that any talk about specs right now is still hypothetical.

That no used games will work bit of the story is worth a thread of it's own lol.

charsace

The more I think about it is the more a 6000 series doesn't make any sense. The 7900 chipset is more efficient in its power use and is actually good at tessellation. The chipset for the 7900 is basically designed for console use. And MS going with a chipset that isn't DX11.1 doesn't make sense. The xbox and the 360 were both released met the current dx standards.

Mrbob

How many codes will gamers have to input for Xbox Fusion games?

Key for game activation. Key for online access. Key for DLC.

Can't wait!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
That's how I see it--fairly comparable to Microsoft's attempt to squeeze out Nintendo last generation. The primary difference is that they've changed out their priority in targets.

From both Microsoft and Nintendo's point of view it makes perfect sense.

Also for the industry itself, there is no desire to accelerate the arms-race again anymore than necessary.

Zeppelin

If true I'm not interested. A 6670 isn't isn't that much better than what I have in my PC right now, and then I'm not even gaming that hard on my PC.

FHIZ

The anti used game shit would most definitely blow up in their face. I don't even buy used games that often, but that would just be a bullshit move on their part.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I still believe that the Nextbox will be 2-3xWii U, but if this indeed has a 6670 inside... Maybe MS is aiming for a radical different strategy? A very discrete KinectBox at a low(ish) price with yearly updates. Is possible that the Nextbox is aimed at competing against Apple and the rumored AppleTv 3, rather than Nintendo and Sony.

Satoho

Banned

Noted.

Nintendo isn't Sony. I'm sorry, but if you knew anything of the history of Zelda tech demo's, then you'd know the final product always turns out looking better than the final retail product. Ocarina of Time looked far superior to the 1995 tech demo and Twilight Princess/Wind Waker ended up looking far better than the Spaceworld tech demo.

So, I don't think trying to be a hipster by down playing the relevance of tech demo's is working at all. Zelda Wii U will look on par or better than that tech demo. It's even been confirmed on several occasions to be running in real time on the hardware. Alpha hardware to boot. Fact.

Hipster? I am here to voice my opinion, even if it is on a trend which fooled me once before. Should I call you an 'emo' coz you took things way too personally? Yes, Nintendo isn't Sony, I get that. I would rather focus on integrity, (Oops, makes me an idealist). It seems you are a 100% sure of it. All I am saying is that I'd rather see actual gameplay than a 'tech demo' with an impressive day/night switch.

I guess I should expect Nintendo to try impress us visually since we have been doubting their console's graphical prowess since they announced it last year.

I am not gonna be too gullible with Microsoft & Sony's tech-demos...

Dabanton

And even that, to me, sounds like far too much effort than I should be making to start up a game I've just bought.

Compared to the way it is now with certain games, I hope it's an option.

EA are especially guilty of multiple cards in the game case with DLC and Extras. I'd rather hold the card up to the camera for a few seconds.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I still believe that the Nextbox will be 2-3xWii U, but if this indeed has a 6670 inside... Maybe MS is aiming for a radical different strategy? A very discrete KinectBox at a low(ish) price with yearly updates. Is possible that the Nextbox is aimed at competing against Apple and the rumored AppleTv 3, rather than Nintendo and Sony.

Xbox was never about games, it was about control of services and content delivery. Games were the Trojan horse.

All the next systems have to be is 'good enough' for games, it's also what the industry wants as the costs and risks have got too high. Platforms with roughly equal power, reduced risk, more sales.

How the systems differentiate themselves will be key, and this is where Sony come unstuck. Because their usual way of differentiating themselves will be swimming completely against the tide.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This seems way more believable than what IGN posts about the WiiU. If the WiiU was this powerful we probably should have seen some more impressive demos. I don#t believe the whole bait and switch thing...

I think you'll find that reading the entire article is helpful.

8x still isn't going to be enough

Getting close, though. 10X while somewhat disappointing, might be reasonable.

For example 8X Xenos, instead of having 48 shaders you'd have 384. 8X RAM would be 4GB. You're starting to get in the ballpark of next gen specs.

But another insider clarified that no one in the industry has development kits yet and that any talk about specs right now is still hypothetical.

Yeah, I'm going with this. Makes by far the most sense of anything in any of these reports.

The more I think about it is the more a 6000 series doesn't make any sense. The 7900 chipset is more efficient in its power use and is actually good at tessellation. The chipset for the 7900 is basically designed for console use. And MS going with a chipset that isn't DX11.1 doesn't make sense. The xbox and the 360 were both released met the current dx standards.

Exactly. Better best bet the Next XBOX will use a GCN gpu with lots of advanced features.

Noted.

Hipster? I am here to voice my opinion, even if it is on a trend which fooled me once before. Should I call you an 'emo' coz you took things way too personally? Yes, Nintendo isn't Sony, I get that. I would rather focus on integrity, (Oops, makes me an idealist). It seems you are a 100% sure of it. All I am saying is that I'd rather see actual gameplay than a 'tech demo' with an impressive day/night switch.

I guess I should expect Nintendo to try impress us visually since we have been doubting their console's graphical prowess since they announced it last year.

I am not gonna be too gullible with Microsoft & Sony's tech-demos...

I didn't take it personally at all. In fact I'd argue by proxy, the fact that you took it as me being personally insulted means that perhaps, you were? Though I'm sure you're weren't. It's only a forum and debate is the best intellectual fuel there is.

Now obviously voicing your opinion is cool, all I'm saying is, it's a pretty illogical one given the reputation Zelda tech demo's have. You compared it to the FFVII tech demo, but as I said, that's Sony and Square Enix, and we know they love CGI and tech demo's. That is all.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah, I'm going with this. Makes by far the most sense of anything in any of these reports.

I find it absolutely ludicrous that nobody would have a devkit yet. Kotaku said their insiders confirmed it as well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
DECK'ARD said:
It's a pincer-movement by Nintendo/Microsoft.

LOL no!

The reality is that MS and Nintendo's market objectives are actually completely different, however the methods they are choosing to attain that goal are placing them in direct competition with one another.

If anything, this face-off should benefit Sony as it'll relieve some of the pressure on them bearing the full brunt of MS marketing-led approach.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I find it absolutely ludicrous that nobody would have a devkit yet. Kotaku said their insiders confirmed it as well.
Why? It makes sense if the release is in Fall 2013. Wii U kit wasn't even finalized until a few weeks ago and that's releasing this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom