• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Xbox 3 GPU ~= AMD 6670, Wii U ~5x current gen, Xbox 3 ~6x, Dev Kits August

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Getting close, though. 10X while somewhat disappointing, might be reasonable.

For example 8X Xenos, instead of having 48 shaders you'd have 384. 8X RAM would be 4GB. You're starting to get in the ballpark of next gen specs.

Yeah, I'm going with this. Makes by far the most sense of anything in any of these reports.
10x is a normal generational leap.

As I said earlier in the thread, I still want to know peoples thoughts, serious thoughts, on what position this leaves Sony in. IF, the Wii U and Xbox Fusion have relative parity in terms of performance, and share ports, what will Sony's game plan be? Will they squeeze the PS3 for all its worth and release in 2014? Or will they launch with a reasonably priced PS4 with off the shelf parts that give it performance similar to a low-high end PC from 2010-2011?

Dabanton

Wait Nintex got banned? What did he do? Did he finally snap?

I thought it was for his "Bomba" comments in the Media Create thread.

We all know or should do that shit talking in that thread is seriously frowned on but Duckroll said it wasn't for that so..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How the systems differentiate themselves will be key, and this is where Sony come unstuck. Because their usual way of differentiating themselves will be
swimming completely against the tide.

If Sony had better versions of multiplat games and their own usual edge on first party technical extravaganzas via a power edge, it would be a more differentiated position than they were in with PS3. If Sony can offer awesome first party, finally competent and free network services, and the best versions of third party games - all with a more reasonable price than PS3 debuted with - then I don't think they'll be crying into their cornflakes.

Three things have been constantly used to buttress 360 in arguments vs PS3 - network services, price advantage and more or less general multiplat superiority, or the reputation for such. It's been said that MS doesn't have to try as hard with unique content as long as theirs is the best system to play third party games.

Ceding that advantage to Sony would be ceding important differentiation to Sony.

I think the noises we're getting signal that MS sees their differentiation elsewhere going forward though - Kinect. I think that's given them the confidence, if you like, to care less about being the be-all and end-all to 'core' gamers.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why? It makes sense if the release is in Fall 2013. Wii U kit wasn't even finalized until a few weeks ago and that's releasing this year.

There's a major difference between having a devkit and a finalized devkit.

DCKing

I find it absolutely ludicrous that nobody would have a devkit yet. Kotaku said their insiders confirmed it as well.
Yeah, this is surprising to me too. I would've thought Microsoft would be faster than this. Wii U devkits have been out for almost a year now.

If the devkits aren't going to be coming until August, then the E3 will be completely for Nintendo. Microsoft can't have much to show.

The anti used game shit would most definitely blow up in their face. I don't even buy used games that often, but that would just be a bullshit move on their part.

Plus rental and libraries will have to get unique versions if games made, which would be costly and crazy.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I find it crazy that people are seeing these multiplier estimates of power and saying, "6 times better? Lol industry is doomed."

Do you even know what those numbers mean and what those games will look like?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I've found this (on a forum, without source, I'll look into it), I hope I can post this here as well, didn't see any PS4 Spec topic.

Expected Playstation 4 Specifications

Ps4:CPU 3.98 GHz POWER7 Cell Broadband Engine or CBE 2 32 nm with 12 SPEs

6GB XDR2 of system RAM
XDR2 operates at double the CPU speed, so 6.4GHz to 7.6GHz is expected even though it can operate at up to 8GHz!

Storage capacity SSD, Cloud Computing

Display Video output formats

Composite video
480i, 576i (PAL)
S-Video
480i, 576i (PAL)
RGB SCART
480i, 576i (PAL)
Component (YPBPR)
480i, 576i (PAL), 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
D-Terminal
480i (D1), 480p (D2), 720p (D4), 1080i (D3), 1080p (D5)
HDMI
480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Graphics:NVIDIA/SCEI RSX ''Reality Synthesizer 2'' (GTX 560) A 256 bit bus, 1Gb of VRAM clocked @ 1GHz (4GHz effective speed)

It's like a PS3 2.0... They've took two Cell and glued them each other, lol.
GTX 560ti or not? There's a difference.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, this is surprising to me too. I would've thought Microsoft would be faster than this. Wii U devkits have been out for almost a year now.

If the devkits aren't going to be coming until August, then the E3 will be completely for Nintendo. Microsoft can't have much to show.

I am sure they've had devs working on PCs of a certain spec for a while. The first bespoke kits don't necessarily represent the start of software work.

Xbox was never about games, it was about control of services and content delivery. Games were the Trojan horse.

All the next systems have to be is 'good enough' for games, it's also what the industry wants as the costs and risks have got too high. Platforms with roughly equal power, reduced risk, more sales.

How the systems differentiate themselves will be key, and this is where Sony come unstuck. Because their usual way of differentiating themselves will be swimming completely against the tide.

Even if MS and Nintendo go that road where there systems being lower spec and they use something else to get buyers i don't see how that really going to hurt Sony .
If Sony goes the high spec road and improve certain things it can't be worst than what happen this gen to them.

What going to be fun to see is the same game with all these different types of control methods .

thuway

I've found this (on a forum, without source, I'll look into it), I hope I can post this here as well, didn't see any PS4 Spec topic.

Fake as fuck. Sony would never go with a 32nm part when they have explicitly stated they are waiting for 28nm dye shrinks. I expect a heavily modified GTX 770/670.

Gueras

Banned
Kotaku article says Microsoft aims 8x powerful then Xbox360

So if this is true no chance for a HD6670

more able to a HD6870 and problably targeting a HD7750 or a HD7770...

That's more reasonable for a next gen

Getting close, though. 10X while somewhat disappointing, might be reasonable.

For example 8X Xenos, instead of having 48 shaders you'd have 384. 8X RAM would be 4GB. You're starting to get in the ballpark of next gen specs.

Eh... but if the 6670 with 2GB of ram was a "6x" then a "8x" from the same source/medium should be treated as an actual 4x, I think. So, 2/2.5GB of ram and a 6670+ at most :p

People throwing around 8x and 6x is not enough for you to call it next are fucking themselves in the ass. The current hardware for the 360 is shit by todays standards.

We have no idea what the games are going to look like, or what they are going to do with extra power. Plus the industry itself has hemorrhaged so many developers and amount of games because the AA/ AAA titles are too expensive to produce.

A lower jump for next gen, that all of the current engines run on is a god send to them.

charsace

I notice people are saying they would just update the 6000 chipset. That just sounds like a waste of time and money to me. ATI has DX11.1 chipsets that handle power better than the 6000 series cards and its out already. Why waste money and time improving the 6000 chipset when they can take the 7000 chipset and spend time tuning that the way they want?

lol @ 6GB of system ram but only 1GB of VRAM, my sides hurt from the laughter.

thuway

People throwing around 8x and 6x is not enough for you to call it next are fucking themselves in the ass. The current hardware for the 360 is shit by todays standards.

We have no idea what the games are going to look like, or what they are going to do with extra power. Plus the industry itself has hemorrhaged so many developers and amount of games because the AA/ AAA titles are too expensive to produce.

A lower jump for next gen, that all of the current engines run on is a god send to them.

How is more power a bad thing? Developer's have to cut so many corners in terms of IQ, polygon count, etc. to make things look decent this gen. Giving them power just lets them use higher quality assets. Scaling up next-gen will be no where near as daunting as it was this gen.

Bokeh DOF, HBAO, High Quality FXAA, tesselation- make things look alot better and are easily done in engine. Play any PC game with all those features off, than play them with them on. It makes a world of difference in terms of IQ.

Maxrunner

How is more power a bad thing? Developer's have to cut so many corners in terms of IQ, polygon count, etc. to make things look decent this gen. Giving them power just lets them use higher quality assets. Scaling up next-gen will be no where near as daunting as it was this gen.

Bokeh DOF, HBAO, High Quality FXAA, tesselation- make things look alot better and are easily done in engine. Play any PC game with all those features off, than play them with them on. It makes a world of difference in terms of IQ.

more power=more money expent + more studios closed + less games made???

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If Sony had better versions of multiplat games and their own usual edge on first party technical extravaganzas via a power edge, it would be a more differentiated position than they were in with PS3. If Sony can offer awesome first party, finally competent and free network services, and the best versions of third party games - all with a more reasonable price than PS3 debuted with - then I don't think they'll be crying into their cornflakes.

Three things have been constantly used to buttress 360 in arguments vs PS3 - network services, price advantage and more or less general multiplat superiority, or the reputation for such. It's been said that MS doesn't have to try as hard with unique content as long as theirs is the best system to play third party games.

Ceding that advantage to Sony would be ceding important differentiation to Sony.

I think the noises we're getting signal that MS sees their differentiation elsewhere going forward though - Kinect. I think that's given them the confidence, if you like, to care less about being the be-all and end-all to 'core' gamers.

Lots and lots of ifs, it's all working against Sony.

And if the industry can rally round 2 consoles which are cheaper to develop for, which have been out longer, and cheaper for people to buy, they will do. Everyone learnt a lot from this generation, a lot of hard lessons as well. Sony's approach with PS3 was actually bolstered by the 360, remove that this time round and they are on their own and trying to push an industry along a path it doesn't want to go. And common-sense says it shouldn't.

High-specs and later is a massive risk for Sony, it's one Nintendo and Microsoft won't be worried about, and one I'm not sure Sony will even want to take.

6GB of system ram and only 1GB of vram ? Grossly unbalanced.

And if it doesn't launch until early 2014, I'm certain it will have a better GPU than a 560ti.

thuway

Thats not how it works man. The transition from last gen to this gen was a nightmare because developer's had to now work with tools that were Alien to them completely. Programming for multi-core CPUs for example is still a red herring.

However next-gen will be the exact same shit this gen, but on steroids. Just the ability to do higher quality anti-aliasing alone will give us bullshot graphics.

charsace

This doesn't make any sense. The way a lot of studios go about creating art assets won't really change all that much. The biggest improvements next gen will be in the textures, physics, post processing and IQ. Models will still range in 10000-300000 poly range like they do now.

Mrbob

This doesn't make any sense. The way a lot of studios go about creating art assets won't really change all that much. The biggest improvements next gen will be in the textures, physics, post processing and IQ. Models will still range in 10000-300000 poly range like they do now.

Thank you for posting this. Seems to be misinformation about how the new round of consoles will accelerate game budgets. Higher quality assets are already being created. They are just being scaled down on 360/PS3.

how am i being a fanboy? i just said next gen i might go with Sony the PS4 or the wiiU. it all about tineing, price and games that i want.

Weather they admit it or not people that have one gaming system and in large put it's due to money concerns Tend to be the ones that go overboard defending there one and only system justing there purchase etc.

In real life (not message boards) people I know that have all 3 systems have always been the most objective about company's.

Sorc3r3r

I agree with this, and as i wrote in another post, if Sony is not going to have an expensive controller, but will stay more or less on DS, they could launch a more powerful hardware on the same price of competition.

I think then that Sony needs to open way more to the PC market, getting as many Pc exclusive as possible focusing on the core gamers.
Just adding a rear touchpad, a tech the already have on the vita, would make ports more easy to have.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lots and lots of ifs, it's all working against Sony.

It hinges on one if, really - the one if you built into your scenario (i.e. Sony going higher spec). If that happens, if Sony had a notably powerful more system, the multiplat advantage would fall Sony's way.

And if the industry can rally round 2 consoles which are cheaper to develop for, which have been out longer, and cheaper for people to buy, they will do. Everyone learnt a lot from this generation, a lot of hard lessons as well. Sony's approach with PS3 was actually bolstered by the 360, remove that this time round and they are on their own and trying to push an industry along a path it doesn't want to go.

Sony being notably more powerful isn't going to lock them out from support. It'll trivialise ports to such a machine. Being an odd man out in a more powerful direction is not the same as being the odd man out in the Wii sense. A hypothetically, notably more powerful PS4 would just get the best versions of those games.

Who knows what'll happen. Sony might (relatively) low-ball also. But if you want to paint a high-spec scenario for Sony vs MS/Nintendo, I don't think it's a situation Sony would be deeply unhappy about.

thuway

There is this misled belief on GAF that more power = higher budgets = failing studios. The expenses that go into a game now, are going to be similar next gen. Textures, assets, etc. are made at high resolutions and dumbed down to fit into this 2005 hardware.

2012 hardware will allow us some truly breathtaking IQ.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Even if MS and Nintendo go that road where there systems being lower spec and they use something else to get buyers i don't see how that really going to hurt Sony .
If Sony goes the high spec road and improve certain things it can't be worst than what happen this gen to them.

What going to be fun to see is the same game with all these different types of control methods .

If Sony take this approach, they'd be the odd one out next time round as far as the industry is concerned. They'd have to go with much higher-specs if that is how they want to differentiate.

They'd be doing a Nintendo from this generation, but the wrong way round. High price instead of undercutting the other 2, and without the 1st party dominance of Nintendo. 3rd party development would be focussed around the biggest market - Microsoft/Nintendo.

It would be a massive risk for Sony, and in all likelihood a foolish one. Especially if it's a lot later.

thuway

If Sony take this approach, they'd be the odd one out next time round as far as the industry is concerned. They'd have to go with much higher-specs if that is how they want to differentiate.

They'd be doing a Nintendo from this generation, but the wrong way round. High price instead of undercutting the other 2, and without the 1st party dominance of Nintendo. 3rd party development would be focussed around the biggest market - Microsoft/Nintendo.

It would be a massive risk for Sony, and in all likelihood a foolish one. Especially if it's a lot later.

If Sony were to launch at around the same time as the Loop with higher specs and a stellar first party line up, how is that a bad thing?

Plinko

If Sony were to launch at around the same time as the Loop with higher specs and a stellar first party line up, how is that a bad thing?

Price. WAY more important than people on GAF give credit.

thuway

Price. WAY more important than people on GAF give credit.

Sony hopefully won't have a random tablet and a mega expensive camera bundled in. I still think they can be competitive and offer a great value as a traditional machine. (If they go this route)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It hinges on one if, really - the one if you built into your scenario (i.e. Sony going higher spec). If that happens, if Sony had a notably powerful more system, the multiplat advantage would fall Sony's way.

Not it wouldn't, because the industry doesn't want it. Costs are high enough already, too high.

Marginal improvements in ports won't be enough to differentiate, especially from systems that have been out longer and are most likely cheaper.

Sony being notably more powerful isn't going to lock them out from support. It'll trivialise ports to such a machine. Being an odd man out in a more powerful direction is not the same as being the odd man out in the Wii sense. A hypothetically, notably more powerful PS4 would just get the best versions of those games.

Who knows what'll happen. Sony might (relatively) low-ball also. But if you want to paint a high-spec scenario for Sony vs MS/Nintendo, I don't think it's a situation Sony would be deeply unhappy about.

As explained above, a notably more powerful machine is a worse thing than the Wii's situation. The Wii was swimming against the tide, but had low-price, killer-app, and something new on it's side.

Specs won't win the battle, and with the way the industry currently stands may work against you. Vita is experiencing that already.

DarkChild

Banned
So Kotaku says 8x and that studios have yet to get dev kits. If it 8x, than GPU will definitely be something like 7xxx series, rather than 6670 equivalent. That GPU is about 3 times more powerful than Xenos, and 8x is a bit bigger difference.

Still, this "x" bullshit never turns out true, since we don't know dev kits we can't project how many times faster it will be.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
well duh but my reaction is more of a kotaku lolwtf. Also they post an article with 'info' then they say "oh but no one really knows".

Not quite. The up-in-the-air part clearly referred to the level of horsepower and is intended to sift apart what Microsoft is telling people they hope to achieve from the idea that the hardware doesn't exist yet.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not it wouldn't, because the industry doesn't want it. Costs are high enough already, too high.

Marginal improvements in ports won't be enough to differentiate, especially from systems that have been out longer and are most likely cheaper.

Better multiplat games has been a cornerstone for 360. Having that + 'the usual' high end Sony stuff would be a better position than PS3 was in.

And you're saying 'the industry doesn't want it'. Want what? An easy port to a more powerful system? What are they going to do - notice the game is running better and disable some compiler optimisations? :p Lower the res?

Casting a more powerful system in the same position as an underpowered system wrt support and ports is nonsense. Pubs will put their next gen games on any system that can run them and that has a worthwhile market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom