• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN "runs" an "AMA" with MS about Xbox One

Troll

Banned
Concerning September surprise:

Major Nelson had Phil Spencer on his podcast pre-TGS and at the end says, "I'm gonna have you on again prior to launch, actually I'm gonna see you again on something very cool that we haven't even talked about yet in a couple weeks. We haven't announced that yet but stay tuned for that."

Wondering if it could be related.

Yeah, no chance of it being related.

So, to sum up this week:

No. No. No. No. It depends.

This marketing-to-english translation is provided free of charge as a service for the community.

Chobel

Xbox SmartGlass is the optimal multitasking companion for Xbox One. You can easily access the Xbox OneGuide to see what’s on TV and change channels, keep up with what your friends are doing on Xbox, view GameDVR clips, view achievements and challenges, and snap apps on your Xbox One directly from your phone or tablet.

I like this one.

JaggedSac

I hope they make Rare's body and face scanning tech be useable on avatars. That would be cool. It is also cool that smartglass can snap apps.

092313marcprofilemaskpng-e94cc0_610w.png

is this from an actual game?

To help fellow gaffers avoid giving IGN those sweet sweet clicks

When we first get an Xbox One, will we be able to start off fresh and change our gamertag for free, or will we have to pay for it?

MARC WHITTEN, CHIEF XBOX ONE PLATFORM ARCHITECT: All of our gamertags will come over from the existing Xbox LIVE community. We have no changes to our policies in this space.

Will we be able to import our own JPEG’s, etc. for use as Gamerpics?

WHITTEN: We are focused on building out a beautiful collection of 1080p gamerpics for our users on Xbox One. You’ll also be able to create full-body poses of your Avatar to use as a gamerpic. You’ll see us do much more here in the future. At launch, we expect to have 300 gamerpics to choose from. Here are three examples:

Will we be able to enter a nickname for our friends on our list? Instead of seeing their gamertag, I could enter, "Brian," or whatever I want to use to identify him besides his gamertag...

WHITTEN: Good idea! We’ll look at that idea in the future. At launch, one of the things we will provide is the ability to add a friend to a favorites list, so you can keep up with both the broader set of people on your list and the people you play with most.

Will the SmartGlass app itself have any type of multitasking features?

WHITTEN: Xbox SmartGlass is the optimal multitasking companion for Xbox One. You can easily access the Xbox OneGuide to see what’s on TV and change channels, keep up with what your friends are doing on Xbox, view GameDVR clips, view achievements and challenges, and snap apps on your Xbox One directly from your phone or tablet.

If you’re playing a multiplayer game like Battlefield and the developer pushes out a relatively large update while you’re playing, will it download in the background then kick everyone off later? Or does it kick everyone off right away and you have to wait for the download to finish?

WHITTEN: Content providers will have the ability to push two types of content updates with Xbox One: ones that are immediately mandatory like in Xbox 360 and ones that are optional. If you opt to not take an optional update, you can continue to play online and do the update at a later time.

092313marcprofilemaskpng-e94cc0_610w.png

is this from an actual game?

No, it's one of the new default gamerpics available on the One.

Don't like using Avatars as gamerpics, think they look shit personally. I guess our current 360 ones are useless. I liked mine too.

I imagine you could keep it if you really wanted to, but with the way they're displaying them full screen in the UI they would probably look like garbage since they're pretty low-res.

No, it's one of the new default gamerpics available on the One.

I imagine you could keep it if you really wanted to, but with the way they're displaying them full screen in the UI they would probably look like garbage since they're pretty low-res.

Yeah I think that will be the case , shame but it's how it is I guess

Wonder if Sony will allow JPEG uploads ?

Outside of pinning favorite games, how will I be able to organize my digital games?

WHITTEN: Your home screen always has the five things you've done most recently to give you fast access to the games you play the most. Your library shows you every game and game add-on you own, digital and physical, whether or not you have it installed, sorted by what you've done most recently. But Pins are the best way to organize the games, apps, websites, movies and TV shows, and music you care about.

This is nice, i was wondering about this. Thank god the game is still shown even if not installed. It gives you a better sense of a game library. Also the recent sorting is kind of weird,i hope there are more options like alphabetical order.

heelo

Banned

I doubt it. Its not worth the headache for either company to have to monitor how the avi's are being used to troll or otherwise antagonize other players.

I hope Sony at least provide better avi's than they do now.

Mine is a clip-art of a basketball going through a hoop, and that was the "coolest" if the options available at the time (2008).

Chobel

I fail to see how this is needed. From everything I've seen, you can just use gestures or voice if Kinect is on. Maybe I'm missing something?

Edit-I suppose if Kinect is off?

Tablet/Phone can be used by someone else while your playing.

Bsigg12

Yeah I think that will be the case , shame but it's how it is I guess

I think part of the issue with allowing jpeg uploads is there is a lot more people than you think that would have offensive avatars. Both systems have to be family friendly and seeing dick picks everywhere while playing wouldn't go over well.

heelo

Banned
Outside of pinning favorite games, how will I be able to organize my digital games?

WHITTEN: Your home screen always has the five things you've done most recently to give you fast access to the games you play the most. Your library shows you every game and game add-on you own, digital and physical, whether or not you have it installed, sorted by what you've done most recently. But Pins are the best way to organize the games, apps, websites, movies and TV shows, and music you care about.

I think it would be better to sort the master list alphabetically.

I know its an avatar but I was wondering if it was from an actual game and not just some random artwork they made. Kind of like how the had Halo, PDZ, and Dead Rising gamerpics at launch.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. I assume its just a generic gamerpic unrelated to a game. Though I hope they do make a game out of that last gamerpic. Would be awesome. :p

heelo

Banned
I think part of the issue with allowing jpeg uploads is there is a lot more people than you think that would have offensive avatars. Both systems have to be family friendly and seeing dick picks everywhere while playing wouldn't go over well.

Dicks are easy to address.

Harder will be pics of Mohammed, the Confederate flag, and other political-type iconography.

It would be a mess.

I doubt it. Its not worth the headache for either company to have to monitor how the avi's are being used to troll or otherwise antagonize other players.

I hope Sony at least provide better avi's than they do now.

Mine is a clip-art of a basketball going through a hoop, and that was the "coolest" if the options available at the time (2008).

Welcome to 2013. There are over 2000 avatars now. Pick out something better than that.
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/all-ps3-avatars/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PS3ALLAVATARS

So for avatars, we won't be able to use our own pictures? I know not very many people will do it but I'm pretty sure both MS and Sony showed UI shots of real life pictures being used as avatars.

Redshirt

Banned
...I'm pretty sure both MS and Sony showed UI shots of real life pictures being used as avatars.

Sony did for sure; Driveclub comes to mind.

I'm surprised at this. I thought for sure we'd be able to use the Kinect to make profile shots that could be used as avatars; but I guess there's a lot of risk to allowing that.

I'm surprised at this. I thought for sure we'd be able to use the Kinect to make profile shots that could be used as avatars; but I guess there's a lot of risk to allowing that.

Yusuf Mehdi from MS also had it at the XB1 reveal event.

TrueGrime

While I defend MS on a lot of fronts, this is one I don't agree with. It should be allowed and if it is abused, just ban for breaking ToS. Someone will eventually flag the gamerpic.

Bsigg12

Wow, these questions are terrible.

We should flood the ign email you send questions to with good questions instead. Though, Written will only be able to talk about certain things. It's standard PR practice to have a roadmap of what you can and cannot talk about based on the date.

While I defend MS on a lot of fronts, this is one I don't agree with. It should be allowed and if it is abused, just ban for breaking ToS. Someone will eventually flag the gamerpic.

I would prefer not to see a single dick pic while I'm on Live.

Dick pics, not even once.

jbug617

Banned
A question I would like to ask is about digital prices. Will it be more flexible to match retail and also will it be more aggressive like Steam sales during the holidays.

Welcome to 2013. There are over 2000 avatars now. Pick out something better than that.
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/all-ps3-avatars/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PS3ALLAVATARS

So for avatars, we won't be able to use our own pictures? I know not very many people will do it but I'm pretty sure both MS and Sony showed UI shots of real life pictures being used as avatars.
You can do it on 360, just only friends can see it.

I'm sure it'll be the same on the Xbox One, you can take a picture of yourself (or whatever) with Kinect and use it as your profile picture, which only friends can see.

Also, AWESOME. Followers? Nice, hope Xbox Live has a Twitter like way to make updates and talk to people, would be amazing.

A question I would like to ask is about digital prices. Will it be more flexible to match retail and also will it be more aggressive like Steam sales during the holidays.

Yeah that'd be great to know but no way can they promise that now outside of 1P titles

And even then I doubt they'll be much in the way of flexibility

MS has no real control on publishers pricing 3rd party games after all

I imagine steam badgers publishers for their summer sales?

Top Bottom