• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN "runs" an "AMA" with MS about Xbox One

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
that reputation metre

yes metre not meter... I love Canada

You are thinking of Meter and Metre as in Length.

Meter as in a device use to measure is always Meter never metre, not even in canada.

Unless you guys actually call it a Parking Metre which I cant believe, cuz all my friends from Canada still spell that Meter as Meter, but for length they type Metre.

New as of today

How large is the Xbox One’s Day One update? How long will it take to install?

MARC WHITTEN, XBOX ONE CHIEF PLATFORM ARCHITECT: We are optimizing Xbox One so that the day one update is as fast as possible. While we’re still finalizing the details, we expect that the download will take between 15 and 20 minutes for most users.

Does every single multiplayer game on Xbox One, regardless of developer or publisher, get dedicated servers because of the cloud? Or is it still a game-by-game thing?

WHITTEN: Every title can take advantage of our cloud services. Think of it as a tool in the toolbox for our developers to drive their vision and our goal is to make it easy and simple for them to do so.

Do you guys plan to update the dashboard once or sometimes twice a year as you currently do with the Xbox 360?

WHITTEN: Yes. Like we have done with Xbox 360, we will continue to learn from what customers want and love to iterate on the best dashboard experience.

Will Twitter/Facebook return on Xbox One?

WHITTEN: We continue to work with great partners to bring the best app experiences to Xbox One. While I can’t comment on the specifics of these two partners right now, at launch you will be able to access Twitter and Facebook through the Internet Explorer web browser on Xbox One at launch.

Will a rechargeable battery pack be offered for the controller?

WHITTEN: Yes! The Play and Charge kit includes a rechargeable battery and micro-USB cable, with a charging indicator light. It will be available at launch for $24.99.

Boring

No dedicated twitter or facebook apps at launch suprise suprise

Also that launch update size answer is pointless without clarifying the average speed of users

Have no idea if there's a takeaway from the cloud answer, devs do still have to pay for dedicated servers so what about cloud power?

those questions aren't even answered

as for the first question. 15-20 minutes for most users. why not just give a ballpark number of the size instead.

BigDug13

That's really such a non-answer on the "will every game have dedicated server support" question.

Also, $25 seems pretty steep when I can get 8 Eneloops for that price, or a 4 pack Eneloop+ charger for $25.

gruenel

at launch you will be able to access Twitter and Facebook through the Internet Explorer web browser on Xbox One

You don't say?

At least the "every Xbox One game will have dedicated servers" rumor is finally laid to rest.

UNCMark

Banned
That's really such a non-answer on the "will every game have dedicated server support" question.

It's an answer. Just not a specific one. Is he saying every game can use their servers if they feel like it? Or is he saying every developer can use MS's servers if they feel like it and also feel like paying money for the privilege to do so? My money is on the money version.

You don't say?

At least the "every Xbox One game will have dedicated servers" rumor is finally laid to rest.

Confirms IE for launch? I don't think that was confirmed though could be assumed I guess.

I don't need a twitter/facebook app. Just integrate it. Was surprised the other day when I tried to share an achievement and only got a choice of Facebook.

The play and charge kit question is just ridiculous. Who would ever ask that?

Chobel

Does every single multiplayer game on Xbox One, regardless of developer or publisher, get dedicated servers because of the cloud? Or is it still a game-by-game thing?

WHITTEN: Every title can take advantage of our cloud services. Think of it as a tool in the toolbox for our developers to drive their vision and our goal is to make it easy and simple for them to do so.

How about some Yes/No answers, this is still vague.
How large is the Xbox One’s Day One update? How long will it take to install?

MARC WHITTEN, XBOX ONE CHIEF PLATFORM ARCHITECT: We are optimizing Xbox One so that the day one update is as fast as possible. While we’re still finalizing the details, we expect that the download will take between 15 and 20 minutes for most users.

What does he mean by "most users"?

Iacobellis

$25 for a proprietary charging cable...

Glad I learned my lesson with that crap last generation. Worked for a little bit and stopped. Same with the janky headsets.

Well it seems like its up to developers. If they want it, the tools are there.

If it was yes or no he'd have to say no. Not sure why developers wouldn't use it though.

But are the tools free to use is the question

Sounds like medieval fiefdom to me

$25 for a proprietary charging cable...

Glad I learned my lesson with that crap last generation. Worked for a little bit and stopped. Same with the janky headsets.

It's a micro-usb cable this time round so only battery is proprietary which is fair

Still see no reason why you wouldn't include the rechargeable batteries in with the controllers aside from the making more money

Could still let it be removable and let all the AA battery enthusiasts go wild

Chobel

If it was yes or no he'd have to say no. Not sure why developers wouldn't use it though.

Money, it's rumored that devs are renting servers from MS. Unfortunately that answer doesn't say if dedicated servers are free or not.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
How many more weeks of these are there? They've got to be running out of questions they themsevles decided on by now.

I imagine because as far as we know it still costs the developer money to use these servers, that and developers who don't use any online component or like some third parties who want to use their own servers for multiple platforms probably already have their own arrangements.

B.O.O.M

those questions aren't even answered

as for the first question. 15-20 minutes for most users. why not just give a ballpark number of the size instead.

yeah exactly what I was thinking. Odd way to answer..if they don't have an idea of the final size of the patch (or a range it may fall under), I don't see how they can say it will take a certain amount of time either.

Amir0x

Banned
It does cost money, I am pretty sure it's on the record that it does, it's just that Microsoft is able to offer it to developers for much cheaper than is typical apparently.

Money, it's rumored that devs are renting servers from MS. Unfortunately that answer doesn't say if dedicated servers are free or not.

Well realistically it would be used by developers who are expecting longevity in their multiplayer. Big titles like COD, BF, Fifa, Madden etc...

Barzul

Also, $25 seems pretty steep when I can get 8 Eneloops for that price, or a 4 pack Eneloop+ charger for $25.
It was a very good PR answer. Didn't explain much.

Amir0x

Banned
As per above, here is proof that it costs money to use dedicated servers... it's just cheaper than the alternative, apparently:

Link

Naturally, using dedicated servers can cost a ton, but Respawn says Microsoft managed to keep things comparatively inexpensive for developers, in part thanks to its Azure tech.

“Most importantly to us, Microsoft priced it so that it’s far more affordable than other hosting options – their goal here is to get more awesome games, not to nickel-and-dime developers. So because of this, dedicated servers are much more of a realistic option for developers who don’t want to make compromises on their player experience, and it opens up a lot more things that we can do in an online game.”

Link 2

statham

The respawn guys already said they get it heavily discounted. Its not free, but cheaper then other alternatives.

Slair

Even with the most mundane question "how big is the initial update?", microsoft cant give a straight answer. I have no idea how big an update would be if it takes the average person 15-20 minutes. A simple "it is x mb/gb" would've been perfect.

They still haven't made it clear if every game will use dedicated servers. Will it be mandatory like some other xbl features were is what i want to know.

Amir0x

Banned
They still haven't made it clear if every game will use dedicated servers. Will it be mandatory like some other xbl features were is what i want to know.

No, it is not mandatory. As you can see in the two links I posted immediately above you, it is a service that Microsoft can offer to developers for a cheaper price than the alternatives, but it still costs. Obviously, Microsoft would not be forcing developers to pay for dedicated servers if they don't want to.

Chobel

Not mandatory. It's up to developers, whatever the fuck that means.

The respawn guys already said they get it heavily discounted. Its not free, but cheaper then other alternatives.

Why they didn't say that? Is there a reason to make that answer as vague as possible?

viveks86

We can open Twitter through IE?! MEGATON?????

What does he mean by "most users"?

Could be referring to the average broadband speeds that MS was quoting from Akamai when they were justifying always online. Think it was 2.9 Mbps. Going by that calculation, it would be ~325 to 435 MB in size

No, it is not mandatory. As you can see in the two links I posted immediately above you, it is a service that Microsoft can offer to developers for a cheaper price than the alternatives, but it still costs. Obviously, Microsoft would not be forcing developers to pay for dedicated servers if they don't want to.

I figured. I imagine all of MS first party will utilize it though.

Hawk269

Still gouging consumers with the Play n Charge kit I see.

I really don't like the Play n Charge kit. I do use the Quick Charger that you plug into a wall and it can charge 2 batteries at the same time for my 360. That has been on my entertainment center for 4-5 years now and it has been great. I wish they would release one for the Xbox One near launch, but it seems like they are only going to make the Play & Charge kit for now.

Five

Banned
Average US download speed is about 7.4 Mbps (source). 60 seconds per minute, and low balling at 15 minutes, you get 6660 megabits, or 832.5 megabytes. I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at something on the order of a gigabyte.

Yoday

It is baffling to me that they are launching a system in 2013 with no YouTube, Twitter, or Facebook support. It seems like they really are trying to lock people down into their XBL ecosystem.

How about some Yes/No answers, this is still vague.

Not to continue the meme, but the cloud can be used for various things. Titanfall uses it for dedicated servers but that is not the only possible use. He answered the only way possible, which is an explanation of what the service is that hopefully shows the futility of asking if this one possible use is the only possible use and will be used identically for every game ever released.

Chobel

Not to continue the meme, but the cloud can be used for various things. Titanfall uses it for dedicated servers but that is not the only possible use. He answered the only way possible, which is an explanation of what the service is that hopefully shows the futility of asking if this one possible use is the only possible use and will be used identically for every game ever released.

The question wasn't "What can the cloud do?", It was "Does every single multiplayer game on Xbox One, regardless of developer or publisher, get dedicated servers because of the cloud?".

jwk94

The question wasn't "What can the cloud do?", It was "Does every single multiplayer game on Xbox One, regardless of developer or publisher, get dedicated servers because of the cloud?".

If the developer wants to use the cloud for that, then they're free to. How is he supposed to know if everyone is going to use it?

heelo

Banned
I don't need a twitter/facebook app. Just integrate it.

I definitely don't need a Facebook app on the XB1, but I would love a snap-friendly Twitter app.

It should be formatted for easy reading from the couch, update live, and let me tag certain people according to subject matter. That way I could keep up with all the sports people I follow while watching football on Sundays, or I could watch a tech live stream in IE and also follow the tweets of tech people I follow, or have it unfiltered for more general-interest events like the Oscars or elections.

If MS is going to deliver on their promise of XB1 being the ultimate home media console, that's the kind of thing they need to provide.

Alx

You know, I was just thinking about it, and even if most of the questions answered in that AMA aren't very interesting, it's still nice to know we're having regular updates about the console. After the lack of clear information from MS between May and August, at least we have something to look forward.
If anything, I wish Sony had a similar flow of information (or maybe there is but I missed it). The occasional tweets from Yoshida don't completely fulfill that role.

You know, I was just thinking about it, and even if most of the questions answered in that AMA aren't very interesting, it's still nice to know we're having regular updates about the console. After the lack of clear information from MS between May and August, at least we have something to look forward.
If anything, I wish Sony had a similar flow of information (or maybe there is but I missed it). The occasional tweets from Yoshida don't completely fulfill that role.

It's better than nothing but it is certainly PR first and foremost

Done in such a way to remind those so inclined on a weekly basis that "YES MS is listening to you and answering your questions*"

*Assuming said questions pass mustard with their PR department

Yoshida seems far more genuine in that regard but I'm sure he goes through PR people at least some of the time too

Would much prefer an actual AMA but realize that would never happen

I'm severely disappointed that IGN didn't release the full list of questions they sent to MS

So at the very least we could see what questions MS chose not to answer

Top Bottom