• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN"s exclusive trailer is Dead Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Both were pretty emotional trailers. Loved it. I wonder if the tone will carry into the game itself, or if its like how the Gears trailers use somber music and how that never translates.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Ellis Kim said:
Both were pretty emotional trailers. Loved it. I wonder if the tone will carry into the game itself, or if its like how the Gears trailers use somber music and how that never translates.

I doubt it, how many games manage to actually make an emotional connection with you?

It would be great if it did though!

Finally saw the trailer and read the Gamespot impressions. Nice trailer, but the impressions are just okay. It seems like they have two control schemes that share some similarities with Fight Night/Alone in the Dark. We should call this game Left4Dead Rising Island edition.

Dead Island film rights acquired
Variety brings word that Sean Daniel Company (The Mummy and Dazed and Confused) and Union Entertainment have partnered to acquire the films rights to Dead Island, with the hunt for a screenwriter underway, as well as pitches to financiers and studios.

It’s not a snap-reaction to the game’s attention-grabbing debut this past week, though, as Union has reportedly been keeping watch on Dead Island since 2009; the new trailer which lit up the internet on Wednesday “validated the company’s instincts.”

Seeing as they’re just barely in the early stages of getting the okay to do the movie, there’s no mention of a potential release window, distributor or any of the usual details. The film might not even get made at all. We’re still waiting on adaptations of Kane & Lynch, Just Cause, Gears of War, BioShock, Mass Effect, the next Hitman, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Saints Row, Dead Space and countless others.

That was fast.

Seda

JetBlackPanda said:
Gah! what is this? and where is it from?

ps. The Trailer was amazing! I love zombies and can't wait.

jakncoke is a NeoGAF member that usually hangs out in OT (NFL thread mostly) who used the :lol smiley all the time. He was eventually banned for a short while for posting it as a picture when the the smiley was removed. So eznark simply substituted :lol with :jakncoke, in his honor..........or something.

LQX

After all the buzz this trailer is getting I think this game is going to take a whole new direction. No way they are not going to try to mimic and live up to the drama from that trailer, though I doubt that was the direction of the game. They would be stupid to not try to refocus the game now with the potential of it being bigger than they intended. Nearly 2 million views in 3 days.

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Edgar Wright just tweeted the link to Shaun of the Dead Island. Pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR9WsSTAqvg&feature=youtu.be
First thing I notice are YouTube Comments™

Alzeiden of YouTube said:
honestly, its just played backwards with music.

a comedy played backwards isn't a "tragic" scene as so many of these comments say. shaun of the dead is hilarious. i don't really see the point in this video, was uit just because you were bored and felt like something other than rapping/sticking it to the man?
derp

fart town usa

Gold Member
Best videogame trailer i've ever seen. Can't wait to see what the gameplay is like, hopefully it carries the same emotional tone the trailer provides.

ScOULaris

Ellis Kim said:
This is my problem with the Dead Island trailer, and I felt the same way about the Gears trailers. Sure, they look nice and use somber music to cheaply evoke emotion, but they are in no way indicative of the actual game. They are completely misleading representations of not only how the game will look and play, but also the tone of the final product.

I dunno. Maybe this bothers me more than most people, but I just want games to advertise themselves honestly.

Now, if the final game allowed you to play as several families on the resort island trying to survive the ordeal, this trailer would have much more merit to me. I think a zombie game that focused less on action and more on survival and protecting loved ones would be amazing. Just imagine protecting your daughter for hours of the game, allowing her character to develop. Then at some point she gets bitten and turns on you, and you have to make the difficult decision of whether or not you'll blow her brains out.

But no. This is gonna be Left 4 Dead meets Far Cry. The end.

CamHostage

ScOULaris said:
This is my problem with the Dead Island trailer, and I felt the same way about the Gears trailers. Sure, they look nice and use somber music to cheaply evoke emotion, but they are in no way indicative of the actual game. They are completely misleading representations of not only how the game will look and play, but also the tone of the final product.

I dunno. Maybe this bothers me more than most people, but I just want games to advertise themselves honestly.

Eh, I'm OK with this as a teaser. The more games evolve into this multimedia emotional-experience story delivery mechanism (which may or may not be a good thing,) the more the setting and the mood are vital to the experience. The idea that "gameplay is EVERYTHING" misses much of what games can offer. If Resident Evil were just played for points, using its lacking action mechanics for zombie bloodbaths, the game would be awful; but place a horror context around it and balance the game around survival and you have something. (And the more you try and make RE like a "better" game with tight & complex shooting mechanics, complete access to viewpoint, and lots of enemies to interact with, the less the room hangs together.) The Dead Island trailer tells me little about the game but a lot about the product's theme, mood, ambitions and production value. If they just showed a dude running around on crysis island with a hatchet killing zombies, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. I've seen that kind of thing before. But I've not seen much quite like this trailer, and it's intriguing me for what else the designers have up their sleeves.

I do agree though that so much gets lost on me when the game's advertising campaign rolls out and uses CG made to look like gameplay. Put gameplay footage in, honor your hard-working coders and stand behind your product, not its marketing.

ScOULaris said:
But no. This is gonna be Left 4 Dead meets Far Cry. The end.
I don't think there's any way you can make that statement without being purposefully disingenuous. We really have almost no idea what the story will be like. I'm assuming these characters won't be in it but that doesn't mean there won't be any poignant or impactful moments in the game.

Just saw this:

Even though there's no script or any creative attachments, the hot movie project of the week has to be Dead Island. It's a videogame that won't be released until November by Techland by X-Box 360 and PlayStation 3. There's a stampede for screen rights that was prompted by a teaser trailer that sets a most touching context to a flesh-eating zombie premise. The teaser got 1 million hits in 24 hours. Lucky for producers Sean Daniel Company's Daniel and Jason Brown and Union Entertainment's Richard Leibowitz and Dmitri Johnson, they corralled the screen rights nearly a year ago. Studios and agencies are all over them, suggesting talent packages and story lines to try and make a screen deal. That will likely happen in the next week or so. The film will will follow a Memento-like storyline, even though the video game does not.
Crazy

ShinAmano

fart town usa said:
Best videogame trailer i've ever seen. Can't wait to see what the gameplay is like, hopefully it carries the same emotional tone the trailer provides.
Pretty much how I feel...I would even go as far as saying it is the best Zombie related thing I have ever seen. Incredible...now can the game deliver?

Darkkn

Unfortunately game will likely resemble this trailer as much as Gears does the Mad world trailer. At least they got the attention, but i can't see them to deliver to expectations. Mad props to vfx company who did this trailer.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Alucrid said:
Killing Floor
Dead Nation
I made a game with zombies
RDR: UN
Plants vs Zombies
CoD:WaW, BO

off the top of my head. Not to mention tons of games where they also have zombies in it, despite not making up a large part of the game. It's not simply just the zombie games, but movies, books, people talking about "HOW COOL WOULD IT BE IF ZOMBIES WERE LIKE REAAL?" and just the inundation of zombie everything within the past few years.

KF has clones, not zombies.

Is this thing going to have PS3/PC Steam functionality?

shop-1.JPG

You actually have to click on 'Steam' as your platform of choice, and then the PS3 logo appears.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Galvanise_ said:
Is this thing going to have PS3/PC Steam functionality?

http://idata.over-blog.com/4/02/56/54/news-4/shop-1.JPG

You actually have to click on 'Steam' as your platform of choice, and then the PS3 logo appears.

I doubt it. The "Order now!" tabs that appear all link to Google.fr. Plus, Steam as the retailer of the PS3 version makes absolutely no sense as there's no storefront or anything for the platform, just Steamworks implementation. I'd say the page is not meant to be online just yet.

Edit: There's also the matter of having three different Steam retailer choices making absolutely zero sense, though on second thought the Steam logo is likely the default placeholder image. Yeah, somebody did indeed upload the page a little too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom