• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Sony has yet to show anything running on PS4, using PCs [actually Dev-kits]

I ask again, you REALLY think he doesn't know the difference between a PC and a Dev Kit
Then why use that kind of wording? If he knew they were running on devkits, and that unfinished software doesn't usually run on final retail units (it may run on devkits/debug units resembling the final retail unit AT BEST) then why simply refer to it as PCs and make a concerned statement about a non-issue?

kidko

It's telling that a top man at IGN doesn't know how dev-kits work and thinks they're "just pc's" Terrible site.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's telling that a top man at IGN doesn't know how dev-kits work and thinks they're "just pc's" Terrible site.
Not just any top man. It's IGN's tech editor that has interviewed Mark Cerny about the PS4.

Have you watched that interview? Guy was so clueless.
I did. I just filter out every time someone other than Cerny speaks. Seems like based on the twitter posts that was a smart thing to do.

Minions

has anyone seen any next gen games running on next gen retail hardware?

ign clearly has an agenda here

Well since the Xbox One is a devkit.... then a devkit is a retail Xbox One. I guess that is the logic people are using anyway. I don't even know if other console launches ever demo'd pre-release software on retail units.

Where do you think thuway received some of his info? Ask him when I told him which month the consoles were targeting. Look through my post history going back to 2011.

Initially the PS4 had 2gb of GDDR5, then 4. Then 8. IN THE SPEC SHEET. The GPU was the same the whole way through. The CPU went from being specced with a 4 core Steamroller to an 8 core jaguar. ON THE SPEC SHEET.

The kits are entirely different from the spec sheet, always have been throughout history. They weren't developing on that. Devs were begging for more ram because devs receive a copy of the target spec sheet long before they receive alpha hardware. We are talking late 2010 here. In late 2010, more than 2GB of gddr5 was a ludicrous proposition in cost and complexity. In fact i made the mistake of being assertive that the console probably wouldn't see a huge memory icrease - 2013 not so much. Here we are with 8 glorious and expensive gigs.

Anyway point being, there will probably be some downgrades from both the Sony and MS presentation - especially from third parties. You've seen some of them already. This isn't an uncommon industry practice. Bullshots are made in the same way.

ok

has anyone seen any next gen games running on next gen retail hardware?

ign clearly has an agenda here

I do not think the whole IGN site has an agenda. Scott Lowe might have an agenda but, I do not think it is fair to paint the whole site in his nonsense. He should have known better than to say what he did considering he is the tech editor at a big gaming site. It seems like twitter strikes again. When will people learn to think before posting on twitter?

GodofWine

I think for ps5 xb2 launh they should shove their custom silicon into happy mean containers (does europe have happy meals too??) and see if the headline is Sony and MS running all floor displays using happy meals.

Fergie

Banned
2zlAIAn.gif

Artex

Banned
I think what he's getting at is not about the hardware that's inside, but overheating possibilities, etc.

He's still douchey though, yes.

sestrugen

tech "journalist" doesn't know how technology works, inflammatory title to gain hits, IGN being terrible as usual, increasing approach to Kotaku level

Gestault

I think the context is why the info was posted. People were concerned (both in some media reports and certainly in hobbyist boards like NeoGaf) that at E3 (which was quite a while back), not all demos for XB1 games were running on final units. Some were confirmed to be actual final hardware, but not all. There was quite a reaction here. The same was true of the PS4, though the reaction threads didn't end up with the same sort of density of reactions.

Now, we're talking about public shows months later, and very close to the launch of the hardware, and the same scenario is still true of the PS4, while apparently not as much so with XB1 presentations. That's why the info was posted. Many people appear to have final, packaged XB1 systems in-hand now, but apparently the same isn't so for the PS4. We'd need more info to substantiate that last element.

Apparently the author of the Tweet thought it was meaningful to post. If you look at the concern by people here in that earlier thread about E3 at a much earlier point in the release cycle, all things being equal, it should make a lot more sense. Many of us though understand why you wouldn't use final hardware for convention-style presentations. This is much ado about nothing, but this is at least consistent with people's earlier concerns.

Sorry I don't have a list. Deep down? The division I know. Battlefield obviously (it's been a mess on this forum as of late discussing this). "tech demo" is a big one - one that first parties used a lot for smoke and mirrors. Look over the reveal and e3 presentations. Pay attention to when they say stuff like "in engine" or "target" or "specced to x console" or what have you.

Capcom has confirmed several times that Deep Down was running on PS4. Obviously it was a target render (dat animation quality), but we will find out for sure less than a month from now @ TGS

The Division - probably running on PC, but is Ubisoft's fault not Sony

Battlefield - We haven't seen the game running on PS4 so far, all footage so far been running on Xbox One or PC

Just going by history most of the tech demos were surprssed eventually (except for the CG demos shown by Sony @ 05)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Is that guy for reals? Does he think that devs use retail units?

benny_a

I think the context is why the info was posted. People were concerned (both in some media reports and certainly in hobbyist boards like NeoGaf) that at E3 (which was quite a while back), not all demos for XB1 games were running on final units.
I went back to threads around E3 to link someone else to a thread.

The issue at E3 was that "demos" were running on Windows PCs. The issue was certainly overblown, but it was because the hardware games were running on were not even close to target-spec.
(Not even using AMD, but Nvidia. 2x Titan and shit like that.)

To call this concern over not running on final units is quite the mischaracterization.

I do not think the whole IGN site has an agenda

I STRONGLY disagree. IGN as of say, a week before gamescom has clearly been hot to push as much negetive press about PS4 as they can, whether it be on the site or on Twitter. At the same time they give praise to MS for "pulling the 180", the Call of Duty Ghost mp event, saying the major nelson show was a sucess (lol) etc. As someone who has preordered both a PS4 and an Xbox One I see both portrayed very differently on IGN.

StevieP

Banned
Capcom has confirmed several times that Deep Down was running on PS4. Obviously it was a target render (dat animation quality), but we will find out for sure less than a month from now @ TGS

The Division - probably running on PC, but is Ubisoft's fault not Sony

Battlefield - We haven't seen the game running on PS4 so far, all Dice footage so far is Xbox One and PC

Just going by history most of the tech demos were surprssed eventually (except for the CG demos shown by Sony @ 05)

Divison was running on similar pcs to the watch dogs reveal. Deep down, well... That one is self explanatatory after you've seen recent footage. Battlefield 4 has not been seen on an Xbox one. It was all high end PC, even at the MS conference. These were the points I was making. This isn't uncommon - at all. This happens all the time. Sort of like how motor storm and killzone 2 were "running on a ps3". It happens all the time and it isn't really news or thread worthy. People just have to realize corporations lie. All of them. None are exempt from that. We will all see the games when they're running in front of us.

benny_a

It happens all the time and it isn't really news or thread worthy. People just have to realize corporations lie. All of them. None are exempt from that. We will all see the games when they're running in front of us.
And I disagree with that. I think it's thread-worth every single time someone lies, so they stop that.
They can opt to be silent and then deal with the rumors and speculations, but to invent shit is disgusting.

If EvB is correct that Sony has used an empty PS4 box with just usb and other peripherals running to the actual PC sitting underneath then that is definitely thread-worthy.

Whelp...IGN confirms it. PS4 hardware is a shambles and nothing is running on it. Pack it up boys, Sony is doomed. Xbone is king.

gogosox8

Why is it a problem that unfinished games are running a devkit? Isn't that the way it works? If he's concerned about heat, again why? The ps4 uses less power than the ps3, that's why its smaller and won't cause as much heating as the ps3 did. He also doesn't seem to know the difference between a pc spec'd for ps4 tech and a dev kit since he interchanged them a few times. This seems like a non story to me and he's just concern trolling.

Chaplain

I STRONGLY disagree. IGN as of say, a week before gamescom has clearly been hot to push as much negetive press about PS4 as they can, whether it be on the site or on Twitter. At the same time they give praise to MS for "pulling the 180", the Call of Duty Ghost mp event, saying the major nelson show was a sucess (lol) etc. As someone who has preordered both a PS4 and an Xbox One I see both portrayed very differently on IGN.

You are not the only one that sees what IGN has being doing.

Mobius1

I can't speak for the gaming side, but I have worked on the tech side of IGN with Lowe himself. There's no attempt to favor Microsoft over Sony or Nintendo for that matter. There are no agenda-setting meetings, people enjoy games on all the consoles.

As for the tweet, what he should have said is "I personally haven't seen a functioning, production-line PS4. I wonder if that means anything?" The attempt to equate dev-kits with PCs was silly.

Divison was running on similar pcs to the watch dogs reveal. Deep down, well... That one is self explanatatory after you've seen recent footage. Battlefield 4 has not been seen on an Xbox one. It was all high end PC, even at the MS conference. These were the points I was making. This isn't uncommon - at all. This happens all the time. Sort of like how motor storm and killzone 2 were "running on a ps3". It happens all the time and it isn't really news or thread worthy. People just have to realize corporations lie. All of them. None are exempt from that. We will all see the games when they're running in front of us.

That Deep Down footage was not real time IMO (the one released recently with that retarded looking monster). It looked like cheap CG and worse than most of Capcom's recent games. We will find out soon enough @ TGS though.

Ubisoft lies a lot and even their PC games get downgraded. So I don't trust them at all....

No.

He said PC are Devkit.

Unless XB1 Devkit are running on Win7. Then that is not a devkit.

You quoted him yourself:

"Lastly – anything that was shown on a box, was shown on near-final retail HW. Our Dev Kits and Retail Units are the same."

He is talking about everything that was in a box similarly shaped to the retail units.

fucking garme jurnalizm

it's a dev kit for fuck's sake, not some souped up PC with 3 7970s running Windows 7 like the BF4 demo systems.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Lowe and Gies form a formidable tag-team.

All joking aside, I know there are specific editors tasked to cover particular consoles at IGN but the obvious bias is really bad sometimes...

Well, if nothing has thus far been seen running on an actual PS4, then that has to be a bit of a concern this close to launch. I have no doubt that the games will look as represented. I don't think this is some silly case of powerful PCs being used to run everything, like some folks might rush to conclude, but more simply dev kits that are encased in something other than the retail form factor for the PS4.

Why would they to this point have issue showing something running on a retail PS4, unless lots of devs simply just don't have final hardware yet?

lherre

Accurate
Lol Maybe he didn't see a ps4 test running yet ... (ps4 final hardware in retail case but capable to run unsigned code and some debug options but in essence a retail ps4)

SiskoKid

I think the context is why the info was posted. People were concerned (both in some media reports and certainly in hobbyist boards like NeoGaf) that at E3 (which was quite a while back), not all demos for XB1 games were running on final units. Some were confirmed to be actual final hardware, but not all. There was quite a reaction here. The same was true of the PS4, though the reaction threads didn't end up with the same sort of density of reactions.

Now, we're talking about public shows months later, and very close to the launch of the hardware, and the same scenario is still true of the PS4, while apparently not as much so with XB1 presentations. That's why the info was posted. Many people appear to have final, packaged XB1 systems in-hand now, but apparently the same isn't so for the PS4. We'd need more info to substantiate that last element.

Apparently the author of the Tweet thought it was meaningful to post. If you look at the concern by people here in that earlier thread about E3 at a much earlier point in the release cycle, all things being equal, it should make a lot more sense. Many of us though understand why you wouldn't use final hardware for convention-style presentations. This is much ado about nothing, but this is at least consistent with people's earlier concerns.

Bingo.

He's simply reporting on what people seemed to be concerned about.

It isn't a big issue either way, but his reporting on this is hardly a head scratcher.

Mobius1

There doesn't need to be meetings for a person's bias. A person's bias can easily be seen/revealed in the things they say.

So you're saying every person at IGN happens to have the same bias? Or by 'IGN' did you just mean Scott Lowe?

Look, I'm not defending the guy, or IGN for that matter. The place has plenty of problems. But console fanboyism isn't one that I saw.

Top Bottom