• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Sony has yet to show anything running on PS4, using PCs [actually Dev-kits]

Busty

Banned
I think we should cut this poor chap some slack.

It's clearly his day reporting on the games industry and...,

What?

Oh dear.

StevieP

Banned
it's funny how StevieP gets away with so many bull shit claims. I want a list of all games that will be downgraded bro!

@ e3 2012 we knew which games were running on GTX 680's (Luminous tech demo, Watch Dogs and Star wars 1313, which used 3 gtx 680's).

Sorry I don't have a list. Deep down? The division I know. Battlefield obviously (it's been a mess on this forum as of late discussing this). "tech demo" is a big one - one that first parties used a lot for smoke and mirrors. Look over the reveal and e3 presentations. Pay attention to when they say stuff like "in engine" or "target" or "specced to x console" or what have you.

Pre order totally canceled
Can't trust Sony with hardware at all man.
46698127325407c2534cz.jpg

Xbox-Ring-of-Death.jpg

Anyway, not worried. If these were PC games and/or not games that are available at launch then I would be worried.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
it's funny how StevieP gets away with so many bull shit claims. I want a list of all games that will be downgraded bro!

@ e3 2012 we knew which games were running on GTX 680's (Luminous tech demo, Watch Dogs and Star wars 1313, which used 3 gtx 680's).
Yeah, I think he even claimed the February demo of Killzone was on a 680 even though the tech presentation outlined clearly what most of the stuff in the dev kit was. Sony has been very careful to be clear about what they're showing on after the E3 2005 presentation. So far only the Watch_Dogs February demo has been the only PS4 presentation not running on a devkit.

EvB

So basically what people are saying is that when they go on those night time talk shows and they show the ps4 on the table... There's really a pc underneath? Sorry but thats bullshit.

At gamescom it appeared to be that way
What's that mysterious Sony Box under the PS4?
9614733094_df2f12c3c1_h.jpg

and here

9566847221_f0d9eb4fbc_k.jpg

014_AP900936358353_620x424.jpg

Why are cables coming out of those boxes and where is the eyetoy camera plugged in?
Where is the Power and HDMI cable? Why is there an ugly white toblerone covering where the cables plug in?

StevieP

Banned
Yeah, I think he even claimed the February demo of Killzone was on a 680 even though the tech presentation outlined clearly what most of the stuff in the dev kit was. Sony has been very careful to be clear about what they're showing on after the E3 2005 presentation. So far only the Watch_Dogs February demo has been the only PS4 presentation not running on a devkit.

Citation needed. You guys are aware this is a completely normal industry practice before you jump on folks, right?

and here

Why are cables coming out of those boxes and where is the eyetoy camera plugged in?
Where is the Power and HDMI cable? Why is there an ugly white toblerone covering where the cables plug in?

You know that the PS4 needs to be plugged into the mains, right? It doesn't just run on it's own.

Fair bet is that every cable runs from the 'white toblerone' into that black post and up to the TV. You know, to keep them safe?

Either that or Sony wired an empty box with a USB, peripheral connection, etc... to create the illusion of a console.

We're through the looking-glass, people.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Citation needed. You guys are aware this is a completely normal industry practice before you jump on folks, right?
I know. I'm just saying it's all been devkits and not high end PCs. It'll take me a long time to compile all of the quotes but pretty much every single playable demo/live demo has outright said devkit except for the WD demo in Feb.

Ushae

Banned
Guys seriously, Sony have a release date now. What's the point of discussing final build readyness, doubtful they will delay the launch. Or does it say something about the development process?

and here

Ummm, the power source? What do u think the tv is plugged into? Maybe your right and that's the biggest dev kit of all time

satam55

Banned
*sigh*

You realize both the Xbox One and PS4 have passed the FCC by now, right? That's a working unit in final retail form factor. That's why it's not implausible to see them in limited numbers at events like these.

Only the PS4 has passed FCC certification. We haven't heard anything on the Xbox1, yet.

Papytendo

Why is everyone on the front page basically calling the writer of this wrong and ignoring what he is saying? Who cares if it is running on Devkits as long as the PS4 runs fine when the console launches?

It's interesting how quickly and intensely GAF jumps on anything critcizing the PS4.
When it's wrong.

Typically, bad MS news has been coming from multiple sources with corroboration from insiders. Bad PS4 news is scant, rarely corroborated by insiders, and seems to be coming from single sources.

DougB541

Banned
You know that the PS4 needs to be plugged into the mains, right? It doesn't just run on it's own.

Fair bet is that every cable runs from the 'white toblerone' into that black post and up to the TV. You know, to keep them safe?

Either that or Sony wired an empty box with a USB, peripheral connection, etc... to create the illusion of a console.

We're through the looking-glass, people.

Why is that hard to believe?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/1686/5

kioskcontroller.jpg

kioskwindow.jpg

G5s-2.jpg

G5s-3.jpg

Sky Chief

So the back of the console is hidden for no particular reason?

Shenanigans

Regardless, the back of the console could have been uncovered and there could have just been cables plugged in that go to nothing. The fact that the back of the console is hidden means nothing regarding the console actually running or not.

DougB541

Banned
I should add.

I don't think its a big deal..but its a bit ridiculous how many people who were not in germany, not in the games industry, who did not have meetings with multiple developers are saying he's wrong.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Only the PS4 has passed FCC certification. We haven't heard anything on the Xbox1, yet.
Seems like Xbone also passed certification. It's all under confidential though, but there is a filing publicly viewable in the same category as the PS4 that makes it very likely it's certified.

How do we falsify your claim that Sony has deliberately fooled attendees and the games press?

Also what is your conclusion that Sony has deliberately fooled attendees at GamesCom?

Skeff

I should add.

I don't think its a big deal..but its a bit ridiculous how many people who were not in germany, not in the games industry, who did not have meetings with multiple developers are saying he's wrong.

There's a majority of people in this thread stating that he isn't technically wrong, just massively disingenuous. Saying all PS4 software is running on PC's and then saying he played a Dev kit is completely disingenuous and shows his lack of understanding on the subject.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks like Sony can do nothing wrong. If this was MS again.........
How many times does the difference have to be described? MS used PCs far more powerful than the XBO, Sony is using devkits which will function the same as a retail PS4 when just running a game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm not saying their hasn't been prior concerns, far from it.

You know what's going to happen though if Microsoft release ahead of Sony?

Reaction:

- Rushed to market
- Lower performance than stated
- Only 50 units available each country

And if they release after?

Reaction:

- Production issues confirmed
Given the way MS has handle the XBO launch thus far, is that wholly unwarranted? They've created the damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario by their own actions.

StevieP

Banned
I know. I'm just saying it's all been devkits and not high end PCs. It'll take me a long time to compile all of the quotes but pretty much every single playable demo/live demo has outright said devkit except for the WD demo in Feb.

But it hasn't all been kits. You've seen some of these adjustments yourself. Looking at the pics of g5s above, you can see exactly what I'm talking about. Lots of devs were pissed at the compromises going from the very powerful g5 CPU to the alpha 360 kits for example. You just don't hear any of these things in public. It's extremely common as to not really be news. A non news thread

Marvel

could never
How many times does the difference have to be described? MS used PCs far more powerful than the XBO, Sony is using devkits which will function the same as a retail PS4 when just running a game.

Quoting this before it gets lost in the current shepard shuffle.

Sothpaw

Might as well make your games look as good as possible by showing them on the most powerful hardware available. Joe-buyer isn't sophisticated enough to notice anyway.

DougB541

Banned
There's a majority of people in this thread stating that he isn't technically wrong, just massively disingenuous. Saying all PS4 software is running on PC's and then saying he played a Dev kit is completely disingenuous and shows his lack of understanding on the subject.

You're dealing with 140 characters at a time. reading it i surmised games were shown on PCs (like the Need for Speed PS4 demo) as well as dev kits.

Trying to claim his lack of understanding on the subject is a huge stretch for someone who again, works in the game industry and is a tech editor. People are overreacting in such a defensive posture right now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
But it hasn't all been kits. You've seen some of these adjustments yourself. Looking at the pics of g5s above, you can see exactly what I'm talking about. Lots of devs were pissed at the compromises going from the very powerful g5 CPU to the alpha 360 kits for example. You just don't hear any of these things in public. It's extremely common as to not really be news. A non news thread
I did forget that NFS was running on PC at E3. There's no point in arguing since both of us agree that this particular piece of info is non news.

EvB

Ah whatever, I would say that they probably weren't running on final hardware, but because it is a consumer retail show they have show consumers what they will be playing with.

I think the give away clue is that there have been no hands on demos of final hardware running (within that form factor) and I don't think I've seen any journalists using the OS either.
That suggests to me that they haven't put all of the pieces together just yet.

Not that it matters, as it will all be put together for launch.

Top Bottom