• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Sony has yet to show anything running on PS4, using PCs [actually Dev-kits]

chadskin

Compare the size of the PS4's APU (28nm) to the size of the launch PS3 & Xbox360 seperate CPU (90nm) & GPU (90nm) and you'll realize how stupid a comparison that is.

Also, energy consumption: PS3 300 watt and PS4 100-150 watt.
Lower wattage means hardware runs cooler thus needs lesser cooling.

ShapeGSX

That usb port if for kernel debugging, and is mostly used internally by Ms devs. Almost all of 3rd party devkits don't have that extra port, same as retail units, and debugging is done through network.

Good info.

Speculation: Given that the XBox One already has 3GB of RAM out of the 8GB reserved for the OS and apps, they might not even need a dev kit with more than 8GB total to debug. Just use the space already reserved.

lvlzero

Banned
One small correction, you don't need a devkit to play unfinished games; you can run them on a debug unit, which is what journalist do to preview upcoming games.
Sorry but journos very very rarely ever get debug hardware and 95%+ code they actually review is a retail copy on a sampler disk, when a preview build is given in most cases its a preview build on a disk or a downloadable build that runs on retail

Borman

Well the dtl-h2000 deck it cards are there (The actual devkit) the other cards are additional ones present in the modified kits psygnosis used

Im clearly not a PS1 expert anyway hah, but the point being that they use cards rather than dedicated tools that many people seem to think of :p

AmFreak

I can't say about PS4 - but for PSP launch - things were Devkit only at TGS before launch(<3months), and that was a handheld, not just bit smaller box than the devkit.
Hell pre-launch TGS for PS2 was running almost entirely on Beta Devkits (the downclocked, unfinished hw with no optical-disk drives).

Aren't unfinished games generally running on devkits (even after launch), cause of the ability of devkits to run unsigned code?

So, was a nice thread. Quick recap:

-MS showed some games at E3 running off PCs and combined with the rumours about production issues many people were concerned
-MS brought devkits to GC (not retail units, they just look the same) and insists there are no production issues. Rumours are still in the air
-Sony always showed most of their stuff on devkits both at E3 and GC
-Scott Lowe from IGN and our favourite Arthur Gies try to argue that MS showed games running on retail units (which they didn't) and Sony is still running on devkits (which is normal) and somehow try to spin this into a negative for Sony and to have concerns about their production schedule, although we haven't heard a single rumour corroborating this
-Both look like idiots (for Gies nothing new)

Dlacy13g

Ok so on one hand, I am not concerned that Sony hasn't shown a working PS4 in its final form factor. I am confident the system will work just fine.

That said, I do have a small amount of concern over heat and noise levels for that size of form factor. I think this is the main reason why many want to see one running in its actual retail form. Is it actually quiet, how hot will it actually get after an a few hours of game play...

Miburou

Sorry but journos very very rarely ever get debut hardware and 95%+ code they actually review is a retail copy on a sampler disk, when a preview build is given in most cases its a preview build on a disk or a downloadable build that runs on retail

We have an Xbox 360 and a PlayStation 3 debug unit in the office, which we need to run at least some preview games. It's the reason I can't take (recent examples) Lost Planet 3 X360 and Puppeteer home to play to preview them.

You're right though that downloadable games run on retail units. I had no trouble downloading Spelunky to review on my PS3 at home.
You're also right that some retail games have their preview code as a downloadable, such as The Last of Us, which also runs on retail systems.

StevieP

Banned
Both Sony and Microsoft have used far more powerful pcs to dupe you into thinking that's what the games will look like. This isn't news (well I guess it is to some...).

With that said, there are actual kits out there for both companies.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It's almost as if the enthusiast press feels it's safe to pick a side again now that MS has rolled back all the DRM/online stuff that angered people so much. Nah, I guess I'm just paranoid...

jockstrap74

Neo Member
So, was a nice thread. Quick recap:

-MS showed some games at E3 running of PCs and combined with the rumours about production issues many people were concerned
-MS brought devkits to GC (not retail units, they just look the same) and insists there are no production issues. Rumours are still in the air
-Sony always showed most of their stuff on devkits both at E3 and GC
-Scott Lowe from IGN and our favourite Arthur Gies try to argue that MS showed games running on retail units (which they didn't) and Sony is still running on devkits (which is normal) and somehow try to spin this into a negative for Sony and to have concerns about their production schedule, although we haven't heard a single rumour about it
-Both look like idiots (for Gies nothing new)

Also add Sony have announced confirmed launch dates suggesting everything is on stream, however with Microsoft have not made a firm date known yet, suggesting they can change it without the need of another 180 :) (sorry couldn't resist the 180)

ari

Banned
Sony hasn't got a credible verified leak suggesting production issues and isn't slashing launch territories pretending they have only just realised that they have to localise the product.
Cboat hasnt exactly been reliable recently. Also, his info was far from left field like some of you think.

Ok so on one hand, I am not concerned that Sony hasn't shown a working PS4 in its final form factor. I am confident the system will work just fine.

That said, I do have a small amount of concern over heat and noise levels for that size of form factor. I think this is the main reason why many want to see one running in its actual retail form. Is it actually quiet, how hot will it actually get after an a few hours of game play...

Yea, I don't know why people keep glossing over this. There's a lot of shit in that box and I want my Ps4 to be silent and dependable.

Buggzy18

Banned
Well, the difference of perspective is there.

One company showed off what seems to be a close-to-final OS, announced a release date with a large-list of launch countries, and seems to be confident in their ability to meet preorders. And Sony ninjas ensured no leaks from their production end, be it good or bad.

One company has yet to show off their OS ( had to fake it at reveal ), yet to announce a release date, and had to cut countries launched from 21 to 13. And there's been negative leaks throughout the entire thing. Regardless of truth, it's a lingering factor.

Honestly though, the presence of actual retail kits mean nothing.

Thanks for that spiel but all I wanted to do was make a point.

And now it's proven.

Ovek

7Member7
Ahh.... the Microsoft PR machine (e.g. money) has started worming its way in to the gaming press I see.

Who the fuck pays any attention to IGN anyway?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
interesting and Microsoft was running on retail kits.
Source? How do these individuals determine what and what isn't a retail unit?
(As opposed to with PS4 where you just look at the device the controller is hooked up to determine it.)

I guess, I think this close to launch, having a consumer unit Xbox One already done and finished and playing games as opposed to a devkit instills more confidence generally. I don't care either way.

Panello says they are near final Dev kits that double as the consumer hardware, so no they aren't final retail units because that would suggest that they are done and ready to ship. Contradicts what panello said.

PS4 Dev kits don't double as consumer devices, so this isn't apples to apples. They could be just as close to finishing the consumer hardware as ms but are demoing games on the Dev kits, seeing as they don't double as consumer hardware.

Sony never said they were using final retail boxes, not did MS. Furthermore, don't we still have PS360 games shown at trade shows in alpha form on Dev kits and not retail consoles?

There isn't an ounce of controversy here. Period. Try harder ign.

Honestly he has a point and this goes for both major consoles which are due to release in a few months and for some reason, it does not feel as if both have completely got their shite together

i-Lo

Both Sony and Microsoft have used far more powerful pcs to dupe you into thinking that's what the games will look like. This isn't news (well I guess it is to some...).

So what you're saying is that none of what we saw so far will look like the way the look on retail units then.

Borman

um isnt the ps4 a pc?

so that means that they are running off of ps4 hardware!

I know you're joking, but combining this with the heat worries, it isn't untrue in the sense that because the processors are mobile, x86 processors, they generally run cooler anyway. People don't complain too much about laptops and how small they have gotten, the PS4's size isn't that big of a deal. PowerPC processors have always seemed to run quite hot, that was one of the many reasons Apple moved away from them.

So they're both running unfinished code on dev kits, but sony's dev kit kinda looks like a PC whereas MS's dev kit kinda looks like a retail unit.

Is it possible to have one of these threads with out the comparison to the other camps?
Wait, of course not. But it is interesting to watch the console warriors appear, if not only to defend one thing, while shamelessly shitting up another.

Just an observation.

-----------

Back on subject. I'm not worried. I'm sure it'll release, people will buy it regardless, and whatever happens happens, yada yada.

IGN should stick to doing what they do best. Which is trying to figure out exactly what they do that is good.

IGN are the best at teasing you with a news article, making you click it , only to load a stupid streaming one-minute-long video of a guy with absolutely zero charisma saying the exact same thing the headline said , without adding anything more or less. I mean, is it that hard to write a two paragraph article about news instead of making a lame video about said irrelevant news every time ?

I do believe Scott Lowe is a idiot. But at the same time, maybe he's on to something? Sure we're like 2-3 months away, but combined with the whole PS Meeting thing with them not even showing the box, maybe there are issues? Its possible.

At the same time this also makes sense that they don't use retail models at trade shows. Also note that Jim Ryan said that they've just started production fairly recently.

Sigh. At least you're consistent.

lvlzero

Banned
Can we wait for real world post launch opinions of sound and heat levels, because Sony nor Microsoft are going to tell you they run hot and loud and none of us live in a convention hall.

jaz013

Banned
This new generation is posing to cause lots and lots of bitter, bitter tears...

And well deserved, entitlement has become unbearable.

Oh, and the reason for the concert, dev kits are "buffed up, debug mode on" systems, which means, not the actual, final retail hardware. You wouldn't believe the cools thing running on a Wii dev kits that simply refused to run on the retail level hardware.

you are full of shit. Sony always used weaker kits and moved to stronger hardware gradually. Remember Xbox One >>>> PS4 initially..

jmood88

Ahh.... the Microsoft PR machine (e.g. money) has started worming its way in to the gaming press I see.

Who the fuck pays any attention to IGN anyway?

So back when experienced members of the games press were making an issue of Microsoft running demos off of pc's at E3, was that part of Sony's PR fund being put to work?

Top Bottom