• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Sony has yet to show anything running on PS4, using PCs [actually Dev-kits]

Scott: “And speaking of the hardware itself, obviously you are not a thermal engineer, but I think like, so many people, and me especially, i, i, i, just cant fathom how you managed to cram so much into such a tiny compartment with integrated power supply, all right then and there, and like (totally) minimal, you know ventilation in terms of just like the.. the having fans everywhere… you know…..?”

Cerny: *clears throat, super soft calm voice “what are you, a fucking idiot… its call total world domination console design you fucking dink!”

lifa-cobex

I agree it's very concerning. If Sony had had the forethought to reach out to Scott Lowe, Executive Editor at IGN, earlier perhaps he could have nipped this whole mess in the bud. Clearly they're running off PCs because the tiny PS4 cases can't handle the heat. Frankly I'm not sure how Mark Cerny could have missed an important detail like that, probably he's too busy working on Knack. Too late now though it seems.

What?

Why reach out to someone that knows shit and doesn't put research into his job?
Where the hell did you get a heat problem from?

What mess are you talking about?

Prezhulio

So, are we expecting our launch PS4s to simply not work, or what? I'm confused. I don't get the significance of Scott's tweets.

there is no significance. if you read even just the OP it should be abundantly clear it's baseless fear on his part (for the ps4 form factor at least, the vita remote play hasn't been shown hands on as far as i know). probably unintentional, but he and gies will sooner plug their ears and scream "la la la" than listen to reason (or listen to people like DemonNite with ps4 test units in said form factor).

Jburton

Banned
This has to be the most stupid thing I have seen yet, he does not understand how the dev kit will fit in the retail box?

Has he ever seen the size of other dev kits in relation to other retail boxes?

smh.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Because of RROD perhaps?

YLOD numbers were so so much less

Pretty much.

MS even said this in an interview, the goal was to be an always on media box, always under the TV, so they needed something that could both run non stop, silent and avoid the huge pitfall of last gen's RROD. So they went for noise/heat/reliability first, and style second.

I dunno... Devs seem awefully happy with the PS4.
My preorder stands.

Anybody that would ever cancel a pre-order over something like this was never buying a PS4 in the first place. I'm pretty damn confident of this lol.

So, wait. Are people being serious when they say that MS paid IGN for this? I honestly can't tell anymore.

People believe a lot of insane things about Microsoft lol. Microsoft paid devs to not show PS4 versions of games at E3, Microsoft paid devs to not use the extra power of the PS4. Microsoft paid Sony to delay the launch of the PS4 and slightly weaken their GPU to make it more comparable to the one in the Xbox One... just a few of the theories out there.

I literally made up the last one, but thought it sounded funny and crazy enough.

Gestault

I love that a single instance of someone having a functional PS4 in the wild would allay every fear the author of the tweet might have about the hardware.

jaypah

Pretty much.

MS even said this in an interview, the goal was to be an always on media box, always under the TV, so they needed something that could both run non stop, silent and avoid the huge pitfall of last gen's RROD. So they went for noise/heat/reliability first, and style second.

As they'll all sit under my TV on a shelf I don't really care about how they look (though I do like the designs) and this may sound crazy but the PS4 LOOKS like it's quiet. I know, I know, that doesn't make any sense. But it just looks...quiet and dense. I don't know. Maybe I've filled the tub one too many times.

Sean*O

The fact that a little shit like that with his Mr. Spock raised eyebrow avatar is exec editor tells you all you need to know about IGN these days.

demolitio

I love that a single instance of someone having a functional PS4 in the wild would allay every fear the author of the tweet might have about the hardware.

Fine. I get it already! I'll get some footage when I get home since it's tucked away in my room at the moment.

In all seriousness though, maybe IGN should do an AMA with Sony so fans can write the stupidest, softest questions ever that will undoubtedly be selected...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Well let me not generalize. I can boldly say that majority of the people on this forum haven't seen a functioning retail unit. I may be wrong though but I have searched and there are no videos of retail-looking PS4s actually running.
Same is true for the Xbox One as well.

Or you're up for the challenge I posed to four other posters before you, to tell me what I need to look for to determine what differentiates a retail Xbox One over a devkit Xbox One. None of them did answer yet.

This isn't just a joke question, the answer to this would be great for the people that are going to PAX.

Amir0x

Banned
Man, this is hilarious. How hard is it for these people to just verify these things or even know anything about the subject they're talking about before they vomit from their mouth? I mean, christ. That interview with Cerny... and STILL he says this?

What a dick, he must be new to the industry to not have seen Devkits before.

Anyway, those Orbis kit photos that got leaked earlier in the year? They are PS4's obviously. The game I am working on is on PS4. It runs on that devkit. Why? Because its a PS4 game.

Lots of games these days are made in studios where the game is made on PC, then compiled for the platforms you have. Our PCs at work run iPhone, 3DS, PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4, 360, ANYTHING. It's easily possible publishers take PC to events because a) they're cheaper and therefore less risk b) if there are issues a coder can make a build on the machine directly c) PS4 kits are not ten a penny, so the studios might not be able to spare them to send them to Gamescom for a week.

This fool is acting like PS4 is Sonys first console and they don't know what they're playing at.

Or you're up for the challenge I posed to four other posters before you, to tell me what I need to look for to determine what differentiates a retail Xbox One over a devkit Xbox One. None of them did answer yet.
just search the cloud, surely it's there.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It was also pretty snide how he added in the statement: "Obviously, you're not a thermal engineer...".

Pretty much, he should have said "I am not an engineer...but I am amazed by what you have accomplished. How did you do it?" Instead he came across as an arrogant know it all.

lherre

Accurate
What a dick, he must be new to the industry to not have seen Devkits before.

Anyway, those Orbis kit photos that got leaked earlier in the year? They are PS4's obviously. The game I am working on is on PS4. It runs on that devkit. Why? Because its a PS4 game.

Lots of games these days are made in studios where the game is made on PC, then compiled for the platforms you have. Our PCs at work run iPhone, 3DS, PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4, 360, ANYTHING. It's easily possible publishers take PC to events because a) they're cheaper and therefore less risk b) if there are issues a coder can make a build on the machine directly c) PS4 kits are not ten a penny, so the studios might not be able to spare them to send them to Gamescom for a week.

This fool is acting like PS4 is Sonys first console and they don't know what they're playing at.

You have to read this man. Agree with all the points.

Same is true for the Xbox One as well.

This isn't just a joke question, the answer to this would be great for the people that are going to PAX.

I honestly don't give a crap about the XBOX One. I'm not buying it and couldn't care less about its hardware demos. Just because I(we) haven't seen a functioning retail looking XB1 doesn't mean I should expect the same from the console I'm interested in buying. That said, it'll be nice to get an actual hands-on demo of the retail-looking hardware.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I honestly don't give a crap about the XBOX One. I'm not buying it and couldn't care less about its hardware demos. Just because I(we) haven't seen a functioning retail looking XB1 doesn't mean I should expect the same from the console I'm interested in buying. That said, it'll be nice to get an actual hands-on demo of the retail-looking hardware.
In the context of the thread, IGN tech editor framed it as an advantage for the Xbox One product over the PS4.

Read the quoted posts in the OP and KennyLinder's post on this page to see why you wouldn't necessarily expect a retail PS4 at trade-shows. (This won't change even in two years. Even today PS3 games are demoed on PS3 devkits.)

Ok, so at least some people are being serious when they say this. I don't visit IGN so I have no idea how they operate.
Microsoft approached IGN to fix the reputation they had after the bad messaging after E3. That is confirmed by a IGN staffer. I think people just extrapolate from there.

jaypah

It's not surprising IGN always have Favorited MS over sony and tbh they always will

Ok, so at least some people are being serious when they say this. I don't visit IGN so I have no idea how they operate.

Microsoft approached IGN to fix the reputation they had after the bad messaging after E3. That is confirmed by a IGN staffer. I think people just extrapolate from there.

Thanks benny!

inherendo

Microsoft could have made a much smaller console. They chose the large size and look because they wanted it to belong in consumer's media center, less fan noise, and better airflow. Think of your A/V receiver. It has all the extra room when you look through the vents. That allows for passive cooling. Obviously, the next gen consoles will generate much more heat, but you get the point.

Not sure how quiet the ps4 will be since it is so small. The fan will probably spin at very high rpm and generate noticeable noise under load. Do I think the cooling system will work? Yes. Look at the ITX form factor. It can fit a normal size GPU and still have adequate cooling. The apu used by both companies have much lower TDP than chips used in standard desktops and that is why the ps4 can be so small.

demolitio

Man, this is hilarious. How hard is it for these people to just verify these things or even know anything about the subject they're talking about before they vomit from their mouth? I mean, christ. That interview with Cerny... and STILL he says this?

Another great example of gaming journalism. I wonder if I could make baseless arguments and absurd claims if I held a job title like that.

They like to share their "knowledge" and all it does is make me sad that people like him are listened to by some gamers.

Popup

For a start, the Operating System of the PS4 is still under intense development. There can be no UI access from the player at the show. The game developer is not going to have any kind of code that would run on a finished retail system and it's OS either.

The setups that are used at the game shows allows gamers to get a feel for the current state of launch titles and a closer look at the hardware. Why would any company go to the expense of putting together a whole cohesive, working system just for a game conference?

Top Bottom