• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Sony has yet to show anything running on PS4, using PCs [actually Dev-kits]

Ghazi

And what's your contribution to society?

YdMv0.gif

ALL PRAISE BISH!

plz don't ban me

e: Thanks for that info Albert, very descriptive, appreciate it!

beast786

From what I've seen, he hasn't responded to anything since the initial tweets. He just dropped his FUD turds and hid.

Very Giesian.

I also find it funny that gies was first to respond on twitter.

he did make a comment about what was shown or given to IGN was just a shell and Greg even broke it in half

@NC_AndrewIp I was there. I held it. Greg also broke it in half....because it was an empty plastic shell.

IGN is really fucking up on Twitter in a big way lately. Last week another IGN staffer was live tweeting that Sony developer roundtable from Gamescom. And he was misquoting everyone left and right.

David Cage quote: "I'm dreaming of games that talk about social issues like homosexuality..."

IGN tweet: Cage spews nonsense, "I'm tired of games that talk about homosexuality."

Like how do you misquote someone and then go off on that person for saying something they never said? IGN, that's how.

woow. wish i saw this. would've made for an interestin thread.

Yeah. Their tweet made zero sense in the context of what Cage was saying. It was deleted after the error was pointed out but not before there were a bunch of defensive "LOL Internet" tweets and some good old-fashioned denial.

smh..

IGN is really fucking up on Twitter in a big way lately. Last week another IGN staffer was live tweeting that Sony developer roundtable from Gamescom. And he was misquoting everyone left and right.

David Cage quote: "I'm dreaming of games that talk about social issues like homosexuality..."

IGN tweet: Cage spews nonsense, "I'm tired of games that talk about homosexuality."

Like how do you misquote someone and then go off on that person for saying something they never said? IGN, that's how.

This is unbelievable. And thread worthy btw, to drive home the shame of it all.

Iacobellis

dNYAuhu.jpg

Is this what Demonite calls the "test kit"?

It's a PS4 but different from retail final model.

And the dude from IGN doesn't think this looks like a retail unit?

I think it looks beautiful. I'm surprised Sony opted for such small areas, despite the system still running cool.

TheHater

Really? I wish I saw this. Let me gust, IGN didn't even discipline this person.

I also find it funny that gies was first to respond on twitter.

he did make a comment about what was shown or given to IGN was just a shell and Greg even broke it in half

If I remember correctly, Greg commented on the fact that the console was empty on the video they put up when they had that PS4. It really shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.

I honestly don't see what angle people are trying to take here. Do they think the PS4 will be delayed? That Sony isn't building them? That it's going to be different from what we've seen and been told? That they haven't calculated the size needed to prevent heat issues?

It just seems like the dude from IGN felt the need to shit on PS4 again (isn't he the same guy who claimed the incomplete PS4 version of BF4 looks like garbage compared to a super high end PC?).

That was Mitch Dyer. He clearly does not like David Cage at all. Whenever Cage says something of significance (i.e. a presentation, or conference), Mitch always seems to have something negative to say, sometimes in a mocking manner. I get it, David is someone you either like or you don't. I like him because he's experimental with his games. One thing's for sure, I don't think they should let Mitch review Beyond: Two Souls. I think his opinion of David would skew the review too much. Again, I respect Mitch's opinion. I just don't necessarily agree with him.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Leondexter said:
PS2's were really PCs.
Actually unlike most recent consoles, PS2 public-showing was Always using PS2 hardware inside. There was nothing on PC that was even close to "approximate" PS2 back in the day, and more importantly Sony first unveiled the machine when they already had real-hw devkits/prototypes running at 50% clockspeed.
That said - PS2 retail units, from my memory were never shown to public until ~3weeks before launch on the February Playstation event, everything on shows before was running off devkits 5x the size of retail box.

Mifune

Mehmber
That was Mitch Dyer. He clearly does not like David Cage at all. Whenever Cage says something of significance (i.e. a presentation, or conference), Mitch always seems to have something negative to say, sometimes in a mocking manner. I get it, David is someone you either like or you don't. I like him because he's experimental with his games. One thing's for sure, I don't think they should let Mitch review Beyond: Two Souls. I think his opinion of David would skew the review too much. Again, I respect Mitch's opinion. I just don't necessarily agree with him.

It's weird because I remember he really liked Heavy Rain.

Anyway, it's okay to not like someone but to completely twist not only the meaning, but also the actual words of a quote, intentional or not, is just terrible.

dubq

Good lord, why? The guy is a maximum douchebag.

Even if they were dev-kits, why would anyone jump to the conclusion of some secret pre-launch trouble going on at Sony over that? I wouldn't exactly call two-ish months out crunch time, and they aren't new at this. They typically have their shit together with their hardware.

Really lame IGN.

If my memory serves me correctly, Scott Lowe was furiously defending Microsoft with it's Xbone DRM policy on an IGN Tech podcast.

I lost most respect for him right there.

FStop7

Banned
what in the actual fuck!? How do you misinterpret something THAT horrendously? Do some game journalists even bother taking notes to try to remember shit? Because seriously the only explanation is they all go in, fall asleep, and then leave.

They're too busy tweeting and panting for free shit to be bothered with stuff like journalism.

satam55

Banned

Mitch Dyer covers Xbox for IGN, so you don't have to worry about him ruining the IGN review of "Beyond: Two Souls".

jWILL253

Banned
The worst part about this type of stuff is that the journalists who partake in this lunatic behavior completely lack any self-awareness.

For me, it would be easier to write off any journalist who does this kind of stuff (about any topic) if said journalist were actually in the corporate pocket. In cases like this, however, game journalists are generally inept, but seem to be completely unaware of how inept they actually are.

"This developer game me a bunch of swag before I reviewed their top-selling, critically acclaimed, Oscar-worthy masterpiece™? I don't see how that and the game's review score of 10 relate in any way."

"I don't see how I misquoted that developer, I heard it with my own two ears! Oh... so, he didn't say that? If you give me a link, I'd be happy to change my tune!"

"Those PS4 games were running on PC's, and I have yet to see any games running natively on retail kits. Dev kits are just low-spec PC's anyways. Every Xbox ONE game I've played has been running on retail kits!" *goes back to playing Battlefield 4 on a high-end PC with an Xbox controller*

It's so bizarre because it all feels like sincere, unintentional ineptitude...

yep, what albert said lines up with what sony is doing as well, sans the "our dev kits are also the consumer units" bit:

-sony's TEST units, are (if i recall correctly) the same as retail units but are able to both run unsigned (non final) code and also output error data for the sake of troubleshooting.

-Verendus said that the TEST UNITS are already available, and it's likely that some of them might end up out "in the wild" at trade shows before PS4 launches.

-at most trade shows after a console has already launched, you won't see retail units running unreleased games, you'll see a TEST unit. this is often cause for people to think there's new hardware yet to be announced when all it was, was a devkit or a test unit.

-just because dev kits were used at Gamescom for sony doesn't mean that there's issues getting test units and retail units manufactured. it means that's currently the most efficient and reliable way of getting unfinished games in the hands of people wanting to try them out.

-MS has the advantage of the dev kits also being the retail units, so not only does it appear visually to be the retail unit, but it's also gives the impression (unless you were to ask) that final hardware is done and ready.

-sony's plan allows for no such comforts unless you were to ask them and they were to give a lengthy explanation- which they won't.

again, nothing mind-blowingly crazy about this. i think albert would even agree. basically IGN's ignorance of how this all works has got them somehow worried that PS4 isn't going to be able to get finalized and manufactured in time for launch. if they understood that test units were already out there then they'd understand that "final hardware" (according to the definition supplied by albert) is already being made.

Finally someone else who knows what he's talking about.

Yoday

This reminds me of listening to podcasts after the COD Ghosts MP event. IGN talked about how they played the XBone version of the game, but nearly everyone else explained that it was the PC version with XBone controllers.

I am really starting to wonder if they are going to bother telling people about the inevitable visual/performance differences between the XBone and PS4 versions of games, or if they are just going to keep their heads in the sand when it comes to the major power gap between the two systems.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Am I missing the magic trick here?

The controllers are plugged in via the USB port.
Maybe he is saying that Sony wired an empty box with a USB, peripheral connection to create the illusion of a console. He wouldn't be the first to make that claim.

I think such a statement should have some kind of corroborating evidence.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
News at 11

Games being developed still for a console that hasn't launched and is still 3 months from launch are demoed on dev kits.

Dev Kits =/= To spec PCs
Early devkits == to-spec PCs. Just saying.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
dNYAuhu.jpg

Is this what Demonite calls the "test kit"?

It's a PS4 but different from retail final model.

And the dude from IGN doesn't think this looks like a retail unit?

This info is second-hand from colleagues of mine who were working certain multiplatform booths at Gamescom.

These boxes were shell condiuts for powering the USB attached controller and to power the LEDs on the front. The back is hidden because all that was there was a power cord going down to the actual devkits running the games which were inside the counters the boxes sat on.

Can't identify where this particular setup photo was taken but same sort of tactic was used for Xbox One stations as well.

That is not to say this was the case everywhere at Gamescom, there were actual functional consoles that looked like their future retail counterparts present as well.

jockstrap74

Neo Member
Yes, as long as folks remember he is here on NeoGAF as Microsoft PR.
Agree with this, damage limitation and to see what the next XBone storm is brewing. On the PR front as you would expect as an employee Albert never comfirms any negative press/feedback

I tend to like that both Sony and MS appear to be reaching out and are more approachable, via social media like Twitter etc. Gives them a chance to show individual personalities

Would also assume he is here to smoke out the insiders like Cboat :) and try and try to plug that leaky bucket.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, there was public out cry when we didn't get to see "the box" in Feb now we get to see lots of boxes :)

We know Sony are going to deliver come November 29th for me :( and through the life span of the PS4.
My only disappointment is I want it NOW!!!!! Damn you SONY :)

FeiRR

Banned
Ok, I think everybody's had enough laughs of Lowe, Gies and their anal stories. It's all fun but the real problem is we can't do anything about those people, stop them from spreading FUD.

It's not really about their agenda aimed at one or another company. Their ridiculous stunts contribute to the overall image of the gaming journalism, which (as we know it) is already really bad. And if journalism is bad, it makes the whole industry look bad. If a person from outside wants to go deeper into the community, it's very unlikely they'll come straight to GAF (which, honestly, has its own festivals of stupid) but they'll go to a place like IGN forums, they'll follow tweeters like Lowe and Gies, read news pieces there, watch videos, etc.

I know such people first-hand. I ask them "why do you go to IGN?" and their answer is "because they have good coverage". And you know what? They're right. IGN has a lot of coverage, companies go to them first because they're the place to reach the most people. Devs fear review scores from their journos, even if they know these journos are tools, because their opinions are influential and may directly translate into sales. People like Mark Cerny waste their precious time having to talk to people like Lowe even if they could be talking to a parking meter with as much result. They do it because portals like IGN control the press and the press controls the industry to a certain extend.

So, what can we do about it? We can't just kill them, right? I heard it may be illegal.

Wow...negative ps4 article...page 5 of 50

as silly as the ign article is they do have a point..im most interested to see how they cool the ram set up as the only consumer device that has that amount of ram is a video card the size of a small laptop and its not a clamshell setup and runs with a fan and heatsink thats quite loud.

my money's on the ps4 being quite loud

There is absolutely nothing inside the ps4 that would make it loud.

70-90W gpu ,That's a 4th of what a high end desktop gpu uses

1.6ghz laptop cpu will barely produce any heat either, 35 watts? maybe less, a 3.6 ghz quad core haswell (you can fit 4 jaguar cores on the die space one haswell core takes up) only uses 65Watts

ram is passively cooled in pcs as well as on gpus (some gpus have the heatsink cover the vram, most don't) , gddr5 ram (especially 176gb/sec on a 256 bit bus will not require high clockspeeds) does not produce much heat at all, a few watts worth, it's negligable.

Hell you can get passively cooled versions of 150watt desktop cards.
If the ps4 is loud it'll be because they cheap out on some dinky ass little 90mm fan with ring bearings that is set to 2000rpm, not because the case is too small or the hardware produces much heat.

This info is second-hand from colleagues of mine who were working certain multiplatform booths at Gamescom.

These boxes were shell condiuts for powering the USB attached controller and to power the LEDs on the front. The back is hidden because all that was there was a power cord going down to the actual devkits running the games which were inside the counters the boxes sat on.

Can't identify where this particular setup photo was taken but same sort of tactic was used for Xbox One stations as well.

That is not to say this was the case everywhere at Gamescom, there were actual functional consoles that looked like their future retail counterparts present as well.

If that's all it was then why hide the back? Why not have the cord go through the bottom?

FeiRR

Banned
If that's all it was then why hide the back? Why not have the cord go through the bottom?

Exactly because of people like Lowe who can't understand simple facts like the difference between dev/test and retail boxes and will pull stories from their buttocks just for the sake of it.

Ashes

Banned
There is absolutely nothing inside the ps4 that would make it loud.

70-90W gpu ,That's a 4th of what a high end desktop gpu uses

1.6ghz laptop cpu will barely produce any heat either, 35 watts? maybe less, a 3.6 ghz quad core haswell (you can fit 4 jaguar cores on the die space one haswell core takes up) only uses 65Watts

ram is passively cooled in pcs as well as on gpus (some gpus have the heatsink cover the vram, most don't) , gddr5 ram (especially 176gb/sec on a 256 bit bus will not require high clockspeeds) does not produce much heat at all, a few watts worth, it's negligable.

Hell you can get passively cooled versions of 150watt desktop cards.
If the ps4 is loud it'll be because they cheap out on some dinky ass little 90mm fan with ring bearings that is set to 2000rpm, not because the case is too small or the hardware produces much heat.

Sony don't have cloud cover though. There be thunderstorms happening and shit in DAT little box.

Top Bottom