• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Sony has yet to show anything running on PS4, using PCs [actually Dev-kits]

You're supposed to be concerned. Between this and the way BF4 looks on PS4 maybe it isn't such a good idea to get one at launch after all? Oh and by the way, have you heard Titanfall makes other next-gen FPSs look quaint? Only available on Xbox One™

And XBOX360™ and PC™. ;)

I know you're trolling. :)

timlot

Banned
IGN... Lol.

Sony's PS4 dev kits are basically the same hardware as a retail PS4, only with dev and debug tools, and OS etc. The PCs Microsoft claimed were dev kits were not similar to the Xbox One's hardware at all, and we're instead much much more powerful than final hardware. GTX 780s and Titans etc.

Are these the same dev kits with 2.75Ghz cpu?
sony-ps4-dev-kit-specs.jpg

lol, he seems like not even listening what cerny is telling him... so no wonder he is so confused... so funny.
This. It looked like even Cerny was tempted to say something like "Well the Playstation Vita was designed as a penis pump originally. We were surprised to learn it even plays games." Just to see if he'd say "of course" and nod his head like glass-eyed robot.

Boke1879

This. It looked like even Cerny was tempted to say something like "Well the Playstation Vita was designed as a penis pump originally. We were surprised to learn it even plays games." Just to see if he'd say "of course" and nod his head like glass-eyed robot.

You sir, win the day. I nearly spit out my drink.

Oublieux

You're supposed to be concerned. Between this and the way BF4 looks on PS4 maybe it isn't such a good idea to get one at launch after all? Oh and by the way, have you heard Titanfall makes other next-gen FPSs look quaint? Only available on Xbox One™

... And, you know, PC.

EvB

So did Penello just confirm that XB1 were also running on devkit?

He said at E3 the PCs we saw were alpha dev kits or PC setups a from developers to run games looking representative of how they expect their game to look finished . The machines at Gamescom were running off actually retail hardware.

It'll be a very similar situation for Sony, except there has been no evidence of Sony having retail hardware available for use yet.

synce

What's he trying to imply anyway? The PS4 will have lower than advertised specs? It will YLOD? I would think both Sony and MS learned from their mistakes this gen, so I'm baffled by the tweets

USC-fan

Banned
With so many people questioning what I meant around “near final” at Gamescom, I want to clarify my own comments (typically I wouldn’t chime in on a Sony thread, since I can’t speak to what Sony is doing), but since I can’t start a new thread, I’m adding my comments here. So before this starts – I’m not here to bash Sony.

At E3, you saw Xbox One games running in a couple of environments:

Development PC’s (these were our early Alpha kits spec’d similarly to HW targets)
Development Kits (these are the white and black consoles that look like retail units)
Other PC’s (in these cases, like the drama around the PC with the nvidia GPU), we asked developers to make sure what they were showing was reflective of what could be achieved on Xbox One.

I think we were pretty open about it. Some may disagree, but I don’t recall us trying to be particularly cagey about this since it’s typical for this point in the console to have game development being scattered.

At this point, just about everything is running on “near final” Hardware. What’s unique about our program this time is that Dev Kits and Retail Kits are exactly the same.

Despite the belief, our Dev Kits DO NOT have 12gb of ram. They have 8gb, just like shipping units. So anything you see running on a black Xbox One console is the same unit we’re going to ship.

Now, the reason I say “near final” is because you guys like us to be precise. Anyone that knows HW development understands that millions of units don’t come flying off the assembly line by just flipping a switch (see what I did there?)

You have many, many units that are run on the factory production line before final product starts as you’re testing quality, tweaking the manufacturing process, etc. But all these consoles you’re seeing are coming off factory production lines. That’s why I caveat “near final” because, before you start full production, you go through many test runs.

So again to clarify – we have real, retail consoles running real code. Every time you see a black box running software, it’s the real thing. I had almost 300 people see the dash demo at Gamescom, and people were free to inspect the HW I was demoing on.
Thank you for your post.

May a take a second of your time. As one of the million of windows media center user. Can you confirm media center extender support in xb1? Crazy if it doesnt since windows 8 only support "official" MS extenders.

EvB

What's he trying to imply anyway? The PS4 will have lower than advertised specs? It will YLOD? I would think both Sony and MS learned from their mistakes this gen, so I'm baffled by the tweets

Was he suggesting anything except the games aren't running on finished hardware.

There has been lot of complaining about BF4 /other titles not being 1080p at the moment and that could certainly account for it as they haven't begun optimising for the final hardware , as it doesn't currently exists.

beast786

He said at E3 the PCs we saw were alpha dev kits or PC setups a from developers to run games looking representative of how they expect their game to look finished . The machines at Gamescom were running off actually retail hardware.

It'll be a very similar situation for Sony, except there has been no evidence of Sony having retail hardware available for use yet.

To me he clearly states they are still test tweaking it. so no , they are not exact retail version. Same was said by Demonite about PS4 being also test kit.

alpha dev kits is not evidence of retail hardware either. "near final" is an incredibly vague statement.

bug_42

Title is miss leading. This was not IGN, but an individual who works for IGN. He made the statement in an unofficial way.

Smash

Banned

It looks like Microsoft has found next generation's 1up.

dNYAuhu.jpg

Is this what Demonite calls the "test kit"?

It's a PS4 but different from retail final model.

And the dude from IGN doesn't think this looks like a retail unit?

The way I understood this was that the uproar about XBOX One a few months ago was because they were using high-spec, Windows-based PC's, playing games with the XBOX Controller while Sony was showing stuff off on DevKits.

Am I wrong here? I would hope that, at this point, everything is running on DevKits at a minimum. I'm not that concerned if either of them aren't running on final hardware yet.

He doesn't usually write about games, he's their tech editor...

You are 100% right. At E3, Microsoft was using Titan's or 680's or something like that. PC's with cards way more powerful than what the Xbox One can do (even with teh cloud) and wasn't even using AMD products. Then I think some disputed the rumor.

Either way, big difference between that and using a dev kit. Not really surprised this was from IGN though

Mifune

Mehmber
IGN is really fucking up on Twitter in a big way lately. Last week another IGN staffer was live tweeting that Sony developer roundtable from Gamescom. And he was misquoting everyone left and right.

David Cage quote: "I'm dreaming of games that talk about social issues like homosexuality..."

IGN tweet: Cage spews nonsense, "I'm tired of games that talk about homosexuality."

Like how do you misquote someone and then go off on that person for saying something they never said? IGN, that's how.

Sure there are, like, "what the fuck" and "what the hell is wrong with this guy" and "fucking game journalists" ;)

The questions that get asked sometimes really baffles me. Do some bloody research, first for fuck's sake.

I had the same feeling when I read Vlad Savov's interview with Cerny. He went on blabbering about why Cerny didn't design the PS4 with different colours, instead of black.

Dude, it's been known since E3 that Cerny doesn't know how the hardware looked like because he only worked on the internals, and didn't have any input on how the hardware looked like. (aside from knowing it's smaller due to smaller power consumption ) And yet he's ignorant and went in thinking Cerny was somehow the industrial designer or whatnot.

And if it's already smaller than the PS3 in the market... There is this thing called Super Slim in the market, you know. 'Journalist'.

Title is miss leading. This was not IGN, but an individual who works for IGN. He made the statement in an unofficial way.
Not misleading. He's using his twitter account which identifies him as executive editor, so he is in effect representing IGN every time he posts anything.

Curufinwe

IGN is really fucking up on Twitter in a big way lately. Last week another IGN staffer was live tweeting that Sony developer roundtable from Gamescom. And he was misquoting everyone left and right.

David Cage quote: "I'm dreaming of games that talk about social issues like homosexuality..."

IGN tweet: Cage spews nonsense, "I'm tired of games that talk about homosexuality."

Like how do you misquote someone and then go off on that person for saying something they never said? IGN, that's how.

Wow. I hadn't heard about that one.

If you click on the link to twitter, it shows that he was contrasting it with the Xbox One where he claimed it was running on "Xbox One units"

He changed his argument from "PCs" to "PS4 devkits" 11 hours later, but the initial comparison was between Sony using PCs to demo their games at their own booth and Microsoft using "Xbox One units."

What's the distinction between Xbox One units and PS4 devkits that caused him to write any of his posts?

Given that there is no way to visually differentiate a Xbox One devkit and a Xbox One consumer model. Especially not at trade-shows where physical access is restricted.

To me it's the same then. If you're charitable you can say it's because he is concerned about the thermal profile of the PS4.
But he already asked this question to lead architect Mark Cerny and got an answer in an interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsl6zmPMje4&t=6m45s

There are no words. He gets an explanation from Mark Cerny himself, posts the video, then 5 days later throws this tweet out there. Then he and Gies start giving each other backrubs on their twitter accounts while piling on Sony. Good times. I hope he understands the backlash he will get from now on no matter what he does. Just look at what Sony warriors do to Gies every time he says anything...

i-Lo

So, where are we at now (lttp)? Given his assertion of all things being demoed on PC (which he later reidentifies as devkit), does this mean that all that we have seen so far are hoaxes?

Not surprising given what they did with the recent videos of the upcoming X men show floor interview vid at comicon (iirc).

Skeff

I watched that live stream and cage was certainly talking about how he wanted to deal with social issues such as homosexuality, he made other suggestions too all of which would make for rather intense themes for games and would be a good way to help inform people of themes that often go unsaid in mainstream media.

Can't believe IGN would hit the exact opposite line...

Amir0x

Banned

what in the actual fuck!? How do you misinterpret something THAT horrendously? Do some game journalists even bother taking notes to try to remember shit? Because seriously the only explanation is they all go in, fall asleep, and then leave.

The questions that get asked sometimes really baffles me. Do some bloody research, first for fuck's sake.

I had the same feeling when I read Vlad Savov's interview with Cerny. He went on blabbering about why Cerny didn't design the PS4 with different colours, instead of black.

Dude, it's been known since E3 that Cerny doesn't know how the hardware looked like because he only worked on the internals, and didn't have any input on how the hardware looked like. (aside from knowing it's smaller due to smaller power consumption ) And yet he's ignorant and went in thinking Cerny was somehow the industrial designer or whatnot.

And if it's already smaller than the PS3 in the market... There is this thing called Super Slim in the market, you know. 'Journalist'.

Seriously. If you have news that you think is significant, the only viable option as a "journalist" of any sort is to try to verify it and understand what it means. Literally that's one of the sole purposes of their job: disseminating accurate information to potential consumers. They so consistently get it wrong at this point that one has to ask what purpose they have at all.

These people go into interviews and either coddle these companies or ask questions that make no sense given who they're talking to. Then they take the information and refuse to internalize what they heard for future interviews or for future information sharing with gamers so they end up sharing inaccurate stuff there too.

It's just remarkable what things have become in this field. Every day it's harder to find many outlets that remain trustworthy for anything.

dNYAuhu.jpg

Is this what Demonite calls the "test kit"?

It's a PS4 but different from retail final model.

And the dude from IGN doesn't think this looks like a retail unit?

most likely a test kit, yes.

the reason they hide the back is because they don't want to have to answer questions about why it has a different set out outputs from what was announced for PS4. EDIT: also why some of the sites that got hands on (like IGN) were asked not to show the back where the inputs where. they were given an empty shell of a TEST UNIT.

but of course the naysayers will say it's because it's not even hooked up and sony lies etc.

Mifune

Mehmber
I watched that live stream and cage was certainly talking about how he wanted to deal with social issues such as homosexuality, he made other suggestions too all of which would make for rather intense themes for games and would be a good way to help inform people of themes that often go unsaid in mainstream media.

Can't believe IGN would hit the exact opposite line...

Yeah. Their tweet made zero sense in the context of what Cage was saying. It was deleted after the error was pointed out but not before there were a bunch of defensive "LOL Internet" tweets and some good old-fashioned denial.

Sure there are, like, "what the fuck" and "what the hell is wrong with this guy" and "fucking game journalists" ;)
"Embarrassingly stupid" springs to my mind. It certainly was not Scott Lowes perception skills and logical deduction skills that made him an executive editor at IGN.

Kibbles

Wow that's terrible damn

krioto

And the size of the dev kits shouldn't be a concern, because it's simply much easier to throw the hardware in any case that can be properly ventilated, as long as the hardware inside is representative of what's going to be in the actual system. Why waste money for some super special and custom design for cases that are more or less just a means to an end so development can go forward unhindered?

So, I don't think anyone thinks Sony is secretly running stuff on more powerful PCs, but you would think after the reveal of the PS4 design, that you would see something resembling a PS4 retail unit at least once since both E3 and Gamescom running a single PS4 game.

Do you ever tire of this? I mean, every hardware thread you just shit it up

Clockwork5

It seems he is making the distinction that this is bad, because Xbox One games were shown on the retail device.

No idea how they can tell that, because according to Albert Penello the Xbox One devkit and retail kit are the same.

Keep waving that Sony flag brah!

Top Bottom