• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN talks briefly about Nintendo Revolution

GamerDiva

Banned
If what IGN says is true then Nintendo is either heading for a niche console and out of the home console world for good or they'll have the next big thing. I'm betting on the former but then again I never bet. :)

doncale

Banned
Naked Shuriken said:
remember how they were hyping Project Reality. It was the same PR job before 2 years before launch. EGM was going on and on about how it would change gaming, how it would invent new genre. I'm sure we could dig up articles about the cube It's the typical console pre-hype for the next gen. Thing is Nintendo has lost the shine of their brand name in this current generation, and thats why they are turning to gimmicks.

We're going to start hearing absolutely crazy statements from Reggie, those people at Sony and the Microsoft PR dept any time now. I cant wait for the first wave of "OMFG WE COULD RENDER EPISODE 1 IN REAL TIME ON A PS2" and "IT WILL BE LIKE JACKING INTO THE MATRIX" type statements.

/me slists his wrists

that was 10+ years ago. people aren't that stupid or gullable anymore.

or are they? :)

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Amir0x said:
Good question. The truth is, nobody knows exactly how to pronounce it. It can also be YHVH or JHVH or JHWH, all which are the Hebrew Tetragrammaton representing the name of God. The general consensus is "Yah-weh", however. Commonly rendered today as "Jehovah". But it's not 100% certain.

Tetragrammaton.jpg

What's sad is that I already knew all that. That's what my original post was alluding to. Man, my humor sucks.

Amir0x said:
Ownage is hereby CERTIFIED.

Congratulations, bitwise! You did good.

See I think he was going for a ownage combo. You hit them with the first quote, but leave it linkless, thereby leaving a glimmer of hope for a comeback before finishing them off with an insultingly swift and nonchalant link.

Hollywood

Banned
mCACGj said:
Cause you know what the thing does...and you know what this machine is...oh wait. No, you then asked for people to spill info about it. That's logical.

No because the GC is barely supported right now, and it seems to be very standard compared to what the Revolution is. No one is going to support a really weird risky machine.

I'm a Nintendo fan, but I'm personally against anything thats going to make me look like an idiot playing a game. I don't wanna beat on a bongo. I don't wanna play a game like I wouild the 'clapper'. I don't want to dance in front of a camara, or have a tilt controller and have to move it in a certain way, and I don't wanna yell into a microphone to control characters.

For a company that talks about simplifing games, they sure seem to be doing the opposite.

Amir0x

Banned
Minotauro said:
What's sad is that I already knew all that. That's what my original post was alluding to. Man, my humor sucks.

Hahaha, nah. It's hard to tell when someone is joking online. Although in retrospect I can see how you were joking and it is pretty funny. :D

Die Squirrel Die said:
See I think he was going for a ownage combo. You hit them with the first quote, but leave it linkless, thereby leaving a glimmer of hope for a comeback before finishing them off with an insultingly swift and nonchalant link.

:lol :lol

Could be!

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Diffense said:
Whatever advancement Nintendo is experimenting with will likely be in the interface and controller. I suspect standard controllers will also be available (if ports are to be at all feasible). The DS has a touch screen but it also has standard buttons and a D-pad.

I'm under the same belief too. They'll have both methods in the box at launch so that players & game makers can have a choice. Some games will be designed specifically for the "non-conventional" controller while dirrect ports, BC & traditional games will use the "regular" controller. Another reason I see Nintendo doing this is that it up's the amount of (profitable) hardware Revolution gamers may buy. Just about everyone with a GCN & SSBM has 4 controllers...with Revolution there will be multiplayer games that use the "non-conventional" controller and thus more $$$ for Nintendo.

In the *worst* case scenerio, Nintendo tries to force this new type of control by packing only this type of controller with the Revolution. If people don't bite that doesn't mean Nintendo will go down without releasing a regular controller. Afterall...look at all the peripherals for GCN...Nintendo isn't completly blind that they would go down 'cos of alienating themselves with a controller. WORST WORST case scenerio they do...doesn't mean that a 3RD party "normal" controller couldn't be made.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Seeing as the forums managed to crash over a PSP potential release date and price announcement recently, there's no hope for it at E3.

Unless we close the forums again. Even then...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
bitwise said:
"The Nintendo DS's greatest features are its revolutionary control schemes, such as the touch-sensitive screen and the microphone input," Iwata said during a press conference at CEATEC, a large technology conference taking place here this week. "And its other major feature is the wireless connection. With it, we're going to revolutionize the way that games are played.

:lol "Please ignore this pre-owned post ---------------->"

indeed

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
HUGE_HOLOGRAPH.jpg

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,102372,00.asp

...Eventually, Actuality Systems said it could use similar technology to build lightweight versions of the 3D display that could be marketed to consumers for use with video game consoles, and has plans to begin work on such a display, said Actuality Systems' chief technology officer Gregg Favalora....

Any takers?

Hollywood said:
No because the GC is barely supported right now, and it seems to be very standard compared to what the Revolution is. No one is going to support a really weird risky machine.

I'm a Nintendo fan, but I'm personally against anything thats going to make me look like an idiot playing a game. I don't wanna beat on a bongo. I don't wanna play a game like I wouild the 'clapper'. I don't want to dance in front of a camara, or have a tilt controller and have to move it in a certain way, and I don't wanna yell into a microphone to control characters.

For a company that talks about simplifing games, they sure seem to be doing the opposite.
i think you should ask yourself what your reason for playing videogames is.

in any case, i've yet to see the bongo controllers, EyeToy, or the DS mic make games more complicated like you claim.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Agent Icebeezy said:
HUGE_HOLOGRAPH.jpg

...Eventually, Actuality Systems said it could use similar technology to build lightweight versions of the 3D display that could be marketed to consumers for use with video game consoles, and has plans to begin work on such a display, said Actuality Systems' chief technology officer Gregg Favalora....

Any takers?
Yes...

cutcube.jpg
vw.jpg

But, you'll need to give me 10:1 odd for me to lay down any money on Revolution having hologram display. 2006 may be a real long shot the first hologram-player, but 2010, 2015 would seem like a 50/50 possibility.

If I had to guess, as apposed to wish, I'd say Ninty has some kind of consumer-level, practical motion capture device for the Revolution.

Also, I think another shot at VR-glasses might work with today's processing power and display tech. I think it could be quite practical IF they made the glasses transparent enough to still see into your surroundings. Imagine overleiging polygonal-Atari arcade games on top of your room/environment. Couple that with tilt sense that let's you change the viewpoint by moving your head... and you've got yourself something. (might need to have the lights dimmed to work best).

doncale

Banned
NES
Super NES (souped up NES)
Nintendo64
Gamecube (souped up N64 with optical media)
Revolution = new control method, other changes, wireless, etc.
N6 = souped up Revolution
N7 = Virtual Reality
N8 = souped up N7
N9 = Holographic games

NINTENDO to stay in hardware for a long long long long time :lol

Hollywood

Banned
Johnny Nighttrain said:
i think you should ask yourself what your reason for playing videogames is.

Don't ask me. I have a PSTwo, its not connected to my TV .. and I've only played it a couple times since I bought it back when it came out, and not since. Before that I hadn't had a game system since 2003. So basically I've played about half of Onimishu 3, and some of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 over the past year. The odd mission of GTA: SA over my friends too (I actually beat this one where I had to take out all these guys on a ship and shoot off a padlock and save guys, while I was fucking wasted last week.) So that's basically it.

border

Unless it was like the Holodeck (an entire immersive room), I have no idea why you would want to play hologram games....

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
all wireless with standard buttons and tilt control is my guess, I would say screens but that would virtually kill cheap third party solutions.

also a peripheral controller that is basically like a wacom tablet with buttons would not surprise me at all, though it is unlikely

Hollywood said:
Don't ask me. I have a PSTwo, its not connected to my TV .. and I've only played it a couple times since I bought it back when it came out, and not since. Before that I hadn't had a game system since 2003. So basically I've played about half of Onimishu 3, and some of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 over the past year. The odd mission of GTA: SA over my friends too (I actually beat this one where I had to take out all these guys on a ship and shoot off a padlock and save guys, while I was fucking wasted last week.) So that's basically it.
so you haven't played any games since 03, yet you've come to the conclusion that EyeToy, Bongos, and a Mic made games more complicated?

can anyone say bunk?

Hollywood

Banned
Johnny Nighttrain said:
so you haven't played any games since 03, yet you've come to the conclusion that EyeToy, Bongos, and a Mic made games more complicated?

can anyone say bunk?

You don't gotta play everything to know you won't like it. I think I got a good hold of what type of games I like by now. Complicated to me doesn't mean just being more difficult to play. I could play a game on any controller. It's just more complicated when u gotta use other shit to play a game.

don't change your argument man. that only makes you look worse. at the very least come up with a valid one.
i mean, saying stuff like "i don't need to play it to know it's complicated or that i'll like it" when reffering to the bongos, eyetoy, or the mic just makes you look like a douche man.

your original point was that it made games more complicated, and made you look lame in the process. not that it made it more of a hassle to set up.

Hollywood

Banned
Johnny Nighttrain said:
don't change your argument man. that only makes you look worse. at the very least come up with a valid one.
i mean, saying stuff like "i don't need to play it to know it's complicated" when reffering to the bongos, eyetoy, or the mic just makes you look like a douche man.

your original point was that it made games more complicated, not that it made it more of a hassle to set up.

I'm not changing anything. There's more ways of being 'complicated' than just using it. Same reason I wouldn't buy a steering wheel for a racing game or a giant shock seat or whatever to play games. Part to complicated to put all that shit together on your system, part I wouldn't feel comfortable using it.

Nintendo talked about simplicity being back in the days of having a 2 button controller to control games, not fancy controls and stuff. Yet bringing out perphirals, connectivity, touch screens, bongos, etc is simplicity? The complexity I'm talking about isn't difficulty in using it. I'm talking about simplicity vs. complexity.

Hollywood said:
I'm not changing anything. There's more ways of being 'complicated' than just using it. Same reason I wouldn't buy a steering wheel for a racing game or a giant shock seat or whatever to play games. Part to complicated to put all that shit together on your system, part I wouldn't feel comfortable using it.

Nintendo talked about simplicity being back in the days of having a 2 button controller to control games, not fancy controls and stuff. Yet bringing out perphirals, connectivity, touch screens, bongos, etc is simplicity? The complexity I'm talking about isn't difficulty in using it. I'm talking about simplicity vs. complexity.

sure. but, considering the way you worded everything in that first post...well, you set yourself up for that.

and even when talking about your new argument, you're still wrong. Bongos come with the game, Mic and Touch Screen are built into the DS. meaning no extra stuff to buy, or even think about. in that sense, Nintendo sure did make life more simple for you. not to mention that their games are more simple to play as far as gameplay is concerned when using those "pain in the ass" controls.

and for reference, GBA connectivity wasn't intended to make games more simple, but to come up with new kinds gameplay.

can i call you moot from now on? excellent.

teiresias

Any game system that requires a person to make space for its own dedicated display device (ie. any game-centric holographic display) is destined to fail. People don't want to have to rearrange the living room to get the hologram projector next to the TV to be able to play games.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
teiresias said:
Any game system that requires a person to make space for its own dedicated display device (ie. any game-centric holographic display) is destined to fail. People don't want to have to rearrange the living room to get the hologram projector next to the TV to be able to play games.

I don't think it will be hologram based, Nintendo has specifically stated that the Revolution can be hooked up to a computer monitor, doesn't sound like what you do with a hologram based console.

Hollywood

Banned
Just because it comes with it doesn't change anything. Having to use other ways to play besides a controller - to me .. thats annoying. Everyone entitled to their opinion though. Just the same as why a lot of people don't bother with the touch screen on the DS for certain games.

If Nintendo does a completely new concept controller, Revolution should be compatible with the Wavebird. They could then produce a version of the console that comes with a Wavebird and the new controller, and one that comes with just the new controller.

Meh, maybe.

Hollywood said:
Just because it comes with it doesn't change anything. Having to use other ways to play besides a controller - to me .. thats annoying. Everyone entitled to their opinion though. Just the same as why a lot of people don't bother with the touch screen on the DS for certain games.

: tumble weed rolls by :

alright dude, maybe next time tiger. keep at it though.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
I'm absolutely not interested in anything that makes me move more then my fingers on the controller and eyelashes to blink. :)

May is gonna be so awesome. The DS unveiling really surprised me actually. Before the announcement we had all that "Nintendo BS" stuff... if you google image search Nintendo DS today, you STILL get all the photoshops that were created. The thing was a joke before E3. But when Reggie pulled it out of his pocket and the video rolled of Metroid, threads here, at IGN and elsewhere filled with "OMG!!!111!z0rs! Metroid, Mario 64!! No Pie Charts! Nintendo ownz E3!!!".. obviously there were the usual detractors, but they got a good response. A million miles away from the infamous connectivity E3. To cap it off with the Zelda vid, while I hate it's new look, was a stroke of genius too.

This one has the potential to be even more of a shocker. I just hope the lid stays tightly on it until E3.

Acosta

Well, maybe "revolutionary" it´s a too big word, but I remember that from the initial feeling of DS (two screens) to actually play it, I was more and more interested. Hyperboles are very common in tihis cases, but this time I believe they have some reason

It´s a very original control interface and it actually allow for some new ideas, at least it´s very different to traditional handhelds.

Let´s say I´m interested on what Nintendo can do with Revolution. Real time easy to use motion capture with your hands it´s one of my main guess. Just hope whatever they do that, they have a technical capable system.

goomba

Banned
"Well xbox was "project midway"

ended up more like "project hiroshima"

"You mean it ended up more like Project Pearl harbour."

Umm no, the xbox BOMBED majorly in japan.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nintendo have the potential to bomb big time with Revolution. If its methods mean that multi-platform projects are not feasible to port to it, then they risk having worse 3rd party support than N64. Then they are reliant again on 1st party games, and for some reason they have not really hit the quality or quantity this generation.

But if they just do another Xbox/PS, then they risk getting ignored by the mainstream. So although this is a big risk, I think its a risk they need to take.

(All this is reliant on 'revolution' acutally being a 'revolution' and not a 'PRevolution')

PkunkFury

Agent Icebeezy said:
HUGE_HOLOGRAPH.jpg

Any takers?

We have one of these, called the "Perspecta", at school. not only is it very limited in what it can display but playing games on it is beyond difficult. A friend of mine installed a 3D version of tetris on it. Because of the translucency of the graphics it is very difficult to determine where each block is in 3D space at any given angle. The lack of solidity to the blocks makes positioning them in small gaps a terrible pain.

I suppose the game would be a lot less frustrating if we had a wireless controller and added code to rotate the playing field or positioned the machine so that we could move around it 360 degrees while playing, but I still have my doubts. Even when the technology catches up and the cost goes down it will be difficult to make traditional games that work on these (though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong). Active stereo is not only a cheaper way to display 3D, but provides much better results.

Gahiggidy said:
Also, I think another shot at VR-glasses might work with today's processing power and display tech. I think it could be quite practical IF they made the glasses transparent enough to still see into your surroundings. Imagine overleiging polygonal-Atari arcade games on top of your room/environment. Couple that with tilt sense that let's you change the viewpoint by moving your head... and you've got yourself something. (might need to have the lights dimmed to work best).

This is much more likely in the near future

Chrono

Banned
I'm a nintendo fan but I'm not holding my breath for Revolution anymore. I remember how miyamoto was talking about ‘touching’ things in the next mario (whatever the hell that meant) and all the 'secret controller' feature turned out to be a the L/R buttons clicking after you hold them all the way through. (-__-)||

I can’t wait for GDC though. I need some next-gen info! 6/7 weeks to go…

Any1

Hollywood said:

And i thought i was the only one. My exact thoughts, on the subject, to a tee.

Top Bottom