• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN talks briefly about Nintendo Revolution

The End

From what i've heard, Revolution will be very cool, but ports are going to be a bitch.

Welcome to the Nintendo-Only future.

The End

You've got me wrong. I'll definitely pick one up, but it won't be my primary game machine. I think the same will go for a lot of us.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Am I the only one who wants next-gen to be a beautiful progression of this gen, with super improved graphics, AI, game worlds, and online play?? I want newer/upgraded versions of the current sports games that I love and I want FPS, RPG's, and Action/Adventure games that push the technical envelope and pull me in. I want all this and I want to control it just like I've been controlling it all along... with a controller.

F*ck holograms, bongos, touchpads, cameras and dancepads. Put a kickass controller in my cold, sweaty hands and get outta my way.

open_mouth_ said:
Am I the only one who wants next-gen to be a beautiful progression of this gen, with super improved graphics, AI, game worlds, and online play?? I want newer/upgraded versions of the current sports games that I love and I want FPS, RPG's, and Action/Adventure games that push the technical envelope and pull me in. I want all this and I want to control it just like I've been controlling it all along... with a controller.

F*ck holograms, bongos, touchpads, cameras and dancepads. Put a kickass controller in my cold, sweaty hands and get outta my way.

you're what pple call.....er...a conservative person....

SomeDude

Banned
Why can't they just release a more pwerful console? Iwata should try his best to get Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest back to Nintendo consoles. I guess Nintendo doesn't like listening to the customers that much.

ToxicAdam

open_mouth_ said:
Am I the only one who wants next-gen to be a beautiful progression of this gen, with super improved graphics, AI, game worlds, and online play?? .

Well, you will be one of the few who isn't upset at what next gen actually has to offer.

I just want holograms so I can caress Tingle's cute goatee.

(OMG!)

Screenboy

I get the feeling that the Revolution is going to be gimicky as hell and no-one's going to care.

We know it has something to do with no-controller, maybe you wear it?

The thoughts of it scare me, I want to control Mario and Link with controllers not motion sensors and crap.

:S

-SB

Jacobi

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
I want newer/upgraded versions of the current sports games that I love and I want FPS, RPG's, and Action/Adventure games that push the technical envelope and pull me in.
Sorry, I can't stand that shit with 1997 gameplay anymore. I don't even watch videos on Game DVD about those games because they look awfully boring.

Jacobi

Banned
Screenboy said:
I get the feeling that the Revolution is going to be gimicky as hell and no-one's going to care.

We know it has something to do with no-controller, maybe you wear it?

The thoughts of it scare me, I want to control Mario and Link with controllers not motion sensors and crap.
Nintendo's invests really much money in R&D, so I don't think it will be something people will immediately hate.

Tulkas

2600/Intellivision/etc. was 2D
NES/SMS was an evolution
SNES/Genesis/Neo-Geo/3do was the best realization of that 2D start
PS1/N64 was 3D
PS2/Xbox/NGC was the evolution
PS3/Xbox2 will be the best realization of that 3D start

Could Nintendo be coming to market with a true realization of the 3D cycle only achievable with a new control method? Are they saying that “yes, graphical refinement is needed, but not as much as Sony and MS think; what is really need to fully realize 3D is a whole new control scheme!” They moved gaming forward with the NES pad, they refined it with the SNES, they moved gaming along with N64 by using existing analog technology; but all of this was somewhat obscured by the huge leaps in graphical improvement. Maybe they will co-opt some existing technology and again move gaming forward by implementing a control scheme more suited to enjoying 3D game play.

My only question is what prevents Sony and MS from leapfrogging them graphically (which is all but a shoe in) and then stealing (which was done before) and then maybe even improving (as arguably Sony has) their control scheme? If this happens I feel that Nintendo is doomed.

In any event I am excited to experience the peak of 3D gaming cycle that represents the same point in the wave as the last golden age of gaming that was the Genesis and SNES era.

OmniGamer

Does Nintendo still contend that they will match "the competition" regarding features and graphical power(while still offering their "revolutionary" new features)? Didn't they also say they would launch at the same price as "the competition"? I'd personally love to see a nice beefy piece of hardware from Nintendo...i'd love to see them go balls-to-the-walls with a $299 system that is as impressive as PS3, while still offering whatever they're working on that will "change the paradigm". Said system should also "look" the part. While I personally have no problems with the Gamecube, its perception unfortunately was that of a "cute little system"(and not in the sleek PStwo way).

open_mouth_ said:

I want that too that's why I'm getting a Xenon,PS3
I dont want a repeat of this gen from Nintendo. Better graphics doesn't seem to be getting them anywhere.

FnordChan

smash-ken.jpg

FnordChan

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm thinking the Revolution will have some kind of games on demand service, and some kind of Nintendo only internet (the community thing they've been mentioning as of late. I think they're going to finally say fuck you to the retailers (something they've mentioned in the past) and maybe Oxy was right when he said it would offer downloads of Nintendo games past, present, and future.

That sounds like a paradigm shift to me.

doncale

Banned
OmniGamer said:
Does Nintendo still contend that they will match "the competition" regarding features and graphical power(while still offering their "revolutionary" new features)? Didn't they also say they would launch at the same price as "the competition"? I'd personally love to see a nice beefy piece of hardware from Nintendo...i'd love to see them go balls-to-the-walls with a $299 system that is as impressive as PS3, while still offering whatever they're working on that will "change the paradigm". Said system should also "look" the part. While I personally have no problems with the Gamecube, its perception unfortunately was that of a "cute little system"(and not in the sleek PStwo way).

well according to the rumors, there are two versions of the chipset in development

GameCube Next (Revolution) Version 1

2.7 GHz PowerPC G5 Processor
512 MB RAM (128 of that dedicated to video, 64 dedicated to sound)
600 MHz Graphics Chip
Built-in 15 GB Hard Drive

GameCube Next (Revolution) Version 2

Dual 1.8 GHz IBM G5 PowerPC Processors
256 DDR Main Memory (64 of that dedicated to sound, a new 7.1 surround
technology which will run at a quality of 196 KHz)
128 MB GDDR3 Video Memory
500 MHz Core ATI Graphics Chip (16 Pixel Pipe, 220 Million
Transistors)
Built-in 15 GB Hard Drive

sounds to me like either of these could compete with Xenon, but probably not PS3.

I even wrote the letter for Nintendo's execs so they wouldn't have to waste their precious, precious time:

---
Dear Mr. Kutaragi,

It has come to our attention that Sony has produced a most excellent and popular console in the form of the Playstation 3. While we regret the decision Sony has made to include only two controller ports on it -- again -- we are very impressed with its multimedia horsepower, online gaming functionality, and most of all, the very large userbase.

We, Nintendo Ltd. of Japan, would like to humbly request a third-party license to develop software for this platform. We feel that Nintendo's stable of popular videogaming franchises would be welcomed on the Playstation 3 by consumers, and that not only would your hardware help us achieve a new plateau in software development unencumbered by silly exclusive controls, it would also give us access to a userbase that actually likes modern videogaming as opposed to merely masturbating over the past.

We would be honored to join together with you in the great dream of a ONE CONSOLE WORLD.

Yours in brotherhood,
Satoru Iwata

P.S.: Hiroshi is absolutely apoplectic, and I don't think he'll make it past the week.

Borys

Banned
Downloading old Nintendo games (from NES to GCN era) through this NintendoNetworld and playing them on my Revolution...

...head asplode!

Really, this would be B.I.G.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I don't see why motion-control would neccessarily make ports a "bitch". After-all, as long as the console and tv-display itself is standard... you can always release a normal controller for publishers who don't want to make the investment to convert thier game to a mo-control system.

Gotta be more than just the control-method that is differant.

Top Bottom