• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - World exclusive hands on with GTA V

Pachimari

Just like in Max Payne 3:

I find I’m able to fire at the bikers ahead and roll onto my side and back to deal with bikers beside and behind me. It’s precisely like Max Payne’s ability to fire in any direction when prone in Max Payne 3.

So in GTA V, you can lie down on the ground and shoot around you?

DukeBobby

Those missions sound awesome, and they all seem to be pretty early in the game, too.

My God, imagine how good the later ones will be...

2 more weeks. 2 more fucking weeks.

sunnz

The distinction between GTA V and GTA IV’s vehicle handling is immediately clear; carving my way through the throngs of 18-wheelers the low-slung supercar feels more sure-footed and grippy than similar models in GTA IV. It’s more responsive, but without erring towards feeling too superficial or light.

This has me a little disappointed ( its less like IV) but also kinda glad it isn't way too arcady or lightweight.

Can't wait, sounds so good!

Gaz_RB

Yeah it seems that the missions he played were from stuff we've already seen in the trailers, mostly.

Wish he would have talked about performance though. Only doubts I have about this game.

Andrew.

Banned
This has me a little disappointed ( its less like IV) but also kinda glad it isn't way too arcady or lightweight.

Can't wait, sounds so good!

I wouldnt be surprised if the cars handle just like, if not real close to the vehicles in Sleeping Dogs.

bud

It was pure Hollywood.

tumblr_milq16NwQg1rbfevao1_250.gif

abundant

It looks like having 3 playable characters is going to result in some interesting multipart missions. Instead of having one character do everything or having an NPC do it, the game will switch between the 3 as they do their part of the mission.

ButchCat

Never mind November; I suspect the next generation will start when GTA V says it is does.

Hyperbolic and undeserved 9.8 metascore incoming. Game of the forever bitches! Bring it!

Edit: Every game post and prior to GTAV will be overseen, it is the sad truth.

Vidpixel

While I'm looking forward to GTA V as much as the next guy, what point do the last few paragraphs of IGN's article serve? The whole "Never mind November; I suspect the next generation will start when GTA V says it is does" just struck me as unnecessary hyperbole. The game is sounding awesome though.

kaskade

No mention of performance? I'm hoping that means it just wasn't an issue. Everything sounds amazing though. I still can't believe the amount of stuff they have in this game.

Loxley

While I'm looking forward to GTA V as much as the next guy, what point do the last few paragraphs of IGN's article serve? The whole "Never mind November; I suspect the next generation will start when GTA V says it is does" just struck me as unnecessary hyperbole. The game is sounding awesome though.

Yeah, I'm ridiculously hyped for the game, but IGN could not be stroking Rockstar's cock any harder if they wanted to.

It scares the crap out of me that they ain't mentioning framerates. It makes me think the will have a lot of fps drops.

IGN often does this thing where it's rosé tinted glasses in previews. GTA4 had abysmal performance even on powerful pcs when it came out. I'm worried!! This game is my most anticipated sequel in a long time!

meh zero fucks given until I see some actual pick up and play gameplay!! fuck screens and fuck "impressions". I want to see footage of someone playing this already, and not some beefed up trailer either. I was hoping IGN would have some gameplay vids but I'm not surprised it's more screenshots. lame

Fabrik

Banned
11/10 The Citizen Kane of Videogames

When a game journalist writes a preview in the first person, you just know he's going to overhype it.

I ditch the car just down from the Cathay Theater and bring up the weapon wheel. For the purposes of the hands-on it’s fully stocked. The wheel itself functions in a similar way to the weapon wheel in Max Payne 3, only in GTA V you can carry a great deal more hardware. The main wheel itself is broken down into a series of subcategories; after scrolling with the stick to the weapon type you want, left and right on the D-pad will cycle between additional individual weapons. I select the heavy machine guns and flick between the ones on offer until I find a minigun. It’s an elegant system. Impressively, the weapon wheel will store all of the weapons you collect and you’ll never lose them, even if they run out of ammo or you get busted.

Description of the weapn wheel is good, but it's basically the same wheel as RDR & MP3. Which is to say that the previewer never played either of those games.

I jog out onto the road and train a pistol at the first driver I obstruct, assuming he’ll abandon his car. He does not; he slinks down behind the steering wheel and floors it, running me down in the process.

^ Very cool. Glad to see some other reactions from peds than in IV where they just got out of the cars (which was still cool none the less)

meh zero fucks given until I see some actual pick up and play gameplay!! fuck screens and fuck "impressions". I want to see footage of someone playing this already, and not some beefed up trailer either. I was hoping IGN would have some gameplay vids but I'm not surprised it's more screenshots. lame

The first time you see gameplay video will be in a leak. Mark me words

Awesome, game sounds like it's going to be something special alright.

I just hope the character switching doesn't get overly annoying once we get further into the game.

IGN world exclusive hands on?

I think I'll pass after the terrible job they did with GTA4. I'm hyped for the game, but I'm keeping that hype firmly in check after the crushing disappointment I felt after 4.

Only thing disappointing so far is that helicoptor controls are same as TBOGT. I hated those controls. Everything else sounds great.

Alienous

The wheel itself functions in a similar way to the weapon wheel in Max Payne 3, only in GTA V you can carry a great deal more hardware. The main wheel itself is broken down into a series of subcategories; after scrolling with the stick to the weapon type you want, left and right on the D-pad will cycle between additional individual weapons. I select the heavy machine guns and flick between the ones on offer until I find a minigun.

Well, it looks like you can carry every weapon at once.

I'm not too excited about that.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
From the article:

Hope this isn´t hyperbole, i expect GTA V to really blow my socks off.
So i guess i have to expect other gta4-style reviews and maybe a metacritic average higher than the gta4's 98%.
No thank you, i'll wait for gamer's review after some months.

-griffy-

Banned
Description of the weapn wheel is good, but it's basically the same wheel as RDR & MP3. Which is to say that the previewer never played either of those games.

Well he specifically says, in the section you quote, that it functions exactly like the one in Max Payne 3, only you can hold far more weapons.

Gaz_RB

Translated info from that PCGames preview. Courtesy of Gtaforums

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=581797

-played xbox version
-it looks like in the Trailers only with more aliasing
- no stuttering at all during the 3 hour playthrough
- every Officer and Police Car has its own search circle. In GTA4 there was only 1 big circle
- sprinting is like in IV
- normal walk is very slow which helps moving in buildings
- a car had a petrol track and when they did shoot at it, the car exploded
- checkpoints are set very well
- SUV handles way harder than a Sportscar
- Lamar works with Franklin Repo
- in one Mission they drove a Train themselfes ( hopefully in Free Roam too)
- Sniper can be upgraded with Thermo Scope which can be activated on the run
- they did fly under a bridge and a "1 out of 50" bridges prompt did appear
- Health regens 50% only, you have to look for Health packs or eat something
-cutscenes work fluid. like when going in a marker there is no short balckscreen, instead the camera goes cinematic. same goes for the end of the cutscenes.

http://www.pcgames.de/GTA-5-Grand-Theft-Au...spielt-1086599/

Just like in Max Payne 3:

So in GTA V, you can lie down on the ground and shoot around you?

The thing where Trevor is lying on top of the plane was in one of the trailers, looks a bit of a scripted scenario, so I don't know if it'll be a standard feature that's available at all times.

"- they did fly under a bridge and a "1 out of 50" bridges prompt did appear"

Hell yes.

so... yeah, is there any preorder bonus? I kinda want.

Aye, all pre-order bonuses get unique access to the blimp as a flyable vehicle. Also, if you pre-order from MS, you get a $20 XBL gift card, preordering on PSN gives you 75% off other R* games.

Top Bottom