• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Rockstar is confident' GTA VI will run at 60FPS on the PS5

I mean a source that indicates the lack of a 60fps patch is due to business reasons.

Tez2 is a pretty solid R* leaker, he mentioned a year back that they were working on a next-gen patch but that it was later scrapped. The PS5 and Series X have more than enough horsepower to run the game at 60 FPS with a good resolution, especially when you have the most talented programmers/developers in the world. The reason for the release being tinned is likely business related knowing R*.

well, I think Sony must've done something in this case because the Tweet was deleted.
It's further evidence that has solidified Pro dev kits being in the hands of top developers.

It's leaking everywhere for Sony, and it should be an interesting few months.
I expect an official announcement at the June state-of-play event.

I don't think that Sony will announce the PS5 Pro that early, maybe later in September with a November release date will be my guess.

darrylgorn

Leave it to Gaf to correct Rockstar.

Sipping Tea Time GIF

Hugare

Rdr2 is STILL 30 fps even on the series X until this very day. Not the example you want to use for your argument haha
Not for technical reasons. You missed the forrest for the trees.

I used RDR 2 as an example to show how good Rockstar is in terms of optimization. It's not 60 on next gen, but it could be, they just dont want to.

Didnt know my example would be so hard to undertand

JayK47

Sorry Rockstar, but by time this game finally releases, you will be expected to run it at 120 FPS. At 60 FPS, people will be screaming about cancelling pre-orders.

RaySoft

At this stage of development, they should be saying GTA6 "is running" not "will run".

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Optimizations are always done at the end of the dev cycle. GTAVI is clearly not in that phase when release is 2025, so saying "will run" is actually correct.

proandrad

Hopefully this means the game is being developed with 60fps baseline from the start. It’s a lot easier to do the 30fps mode at the end.

That would be nice but I won't have that kind of expectation until it's officially confirmed by Rockstar themselves. I've played GTA5 and RDR2 perfectly fine at 30 fps anyway so I won't mind if GTA6 will be 30 fps as well. 🤷

Last edited:
I am confident this will be the most disappointing game release of all time.
it is literally impossible to disappoint. GTA 5, nearly 11 years later is still one of the best open world games. From a technical perspective, GTA 6 will be miles better than anything on the market. And the formula to make a GTA game is not complicated, it just requires a shitload of resources that no other studio has

Last edited:

Pelta88

60fps or 2fps?

GTA legs are going to make sure it charts for 8-9 years consistently, regardless of the frame analysis.

its possible, maybe at 1080p60. But to this day PS5 still got 30fps of RDR2. Maybe next rage interation will be amazing, but.... lets wait and see.

Hugare

it is literally impossible to disappoint. GTA 5, nearly 11 years later is still one of the best open world games on the market. From a technical perspective, GTA 6 will be miles better than anything on the market. And the formula to make a GTA game is not complicated, it just requires a shitload of resources that no other studio has
The formula to make a GTA game is not complicated? You crazy

It's not only about money, its also about talent. Rockstar has some of the best developers in the world.

You could give the same amount of budget to any other studio and I can garantee you that it wouldnt be as brilliant as a new GTA game.

Making games is getting harder and harder, and open world games are arguibly the hardest games to make right.

killatopak

I trust them. They managed to make RDR2 on a laptop Jaguar cpu. Same with GTA4 and 5 on the PS3/360.

Thousands of employees and over 6 years since RDR2 should be fine enough.

My only question is, if this is true, can the Switch 2 run it? Maybe the reason the PS5 can is because they made it work on the Switch 2.

The formula to make a GTA game is not complicated? You crazy

It's not only about money, its also about talent. Rockstar has some of the best developers in the world.

You could give the same amount of budget to any other studio and I can garantee you that it wouldnt be as brilliant as a new GTA game.

Making games is getting harder and harder, and open world games are arguibly the hardest games to make right.
I was talking from a game design perspective, it is not complicated to make a GTA game. Rockstar has all the time, money, and talent in the world to make that game

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

"I don't know" and "we are confident" almost feels like an oxymoron. I am aware that I am being reductive, but the answer given is not very convincing. I really hope they can pull it off. I imagine in a GTA game, that I would stick to the Quality preset.

Well of course it will have a 60FPS mode on PS5. What's the point of this entire generation if we can't even achieve 60 FPS on measly 1080p resolution, 4 years in?

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Not at the fidelity shown in the trailer. Perhaps running at 320x240.

But if it ends up happening, PLEASE give Capcom a call, they need HELP.

Hugare

I was talking from a game design perspective, it is not complicated to make a GTA game. Rockstar has all the time, money, and talent in the world to make that game
From a game design perspective, an open world game set in 2024's version of a real city is freaking hard.

You dont see other high budget games achieving Rockstar levels of greatness with urban open world games. Watch_dogs games were good, but didnt even come close.

The budget is part of it, but its not the main part, and thats my point.

From a game design perspective, an open world game set in 2024's version of a real city is freaking hard.

You dont see other high budget games achieving Rockstar levels of greatness with urban open world games. Watch_dogs games were good, but didnt even come close.

The budget is part of it, but its not the main part, and thats my point.
They don't have the time, budget, or resources to do so.

The gameplay loop of all GTA's are pretty much the same. Rockstar doesnt bog down in complicated gameplay mechanics. Rockstar just makes the details of the world better with each one. It just requires a lot of manpower with top tier talent to accomplish, which they have.

Not for technical reasons. You missed the forrest for the trees.

I used RDR 2 as an example to show how good Rockstar is in terms of optimization. It's not 60 on next gen, but it could be, they just dont want to.

Didnt know my example would be so hard to undertand
Ok so why would they suddenly "want to" make GTA6 60 fps now in a situation where going to 60fps would cause them to make substantial limits to the depth, size, and fidelity of the game world? Make that make sense.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I doubt it, especially at any decent resolution and if it is then the PS5 Pro will be turning up to looking stupid

WoJ

I trust them. They managed to make RDR2 on a laptop Jaguar cpu. Same with GTA4 and 5 on the PS3/360.

Thousands of employees and over 6 years since RDR2 should be fine enough.

My only question is, if this is true, can the Switch 2 run it? Maybe the reason the PS5 can is because they made it work on the Switch 2.
60 fps/4k for Switch confirmed.

SoloCamo

Considering how GTAVI looks in the trailer I'd be disappointed if the new system couldn't. The real question is at what res and detail level.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yep. One of the weirdest things I've seen on GAF this year.

I mean mck, when you have linear games like FF16, Robocop, AW2 and others running either at blur-o-vision, with FSR pixel crawl-athon or sub 60fps with constant drops/stutters and games like Dragons Dogma 2 with that kind of performance you can understand people being skeptical of a game with complex, heavy sim aspects AND those graphics shown in the trailer running at 60fps...

It makes more sense brother to be skeptical than not - I'll be happy to be wrong and eat crow but I'm one of those pessimists/skeptics in this (very) specific case 😉

Cheers

Last edited:

Hugare

Ok so why would they suddenly "want to" make GTA6 60 fps now in a situation where going to 60fps would cause them to make substantial limits to the depth, size, and fidelity of the game world? Make that make sense.
Jesus dude, use your brain for a second

They didnt "want to" upgrade RDR 2 to 60 on next gen consoles because they arent supportig the game anymore. They've droped RDR Online. They dont think its worth the time and money that they would spend on it.

With GTA VI, maybe they have put into the game everything that they wanted, at the quality that they wanted, and realised that they can optimize it enough to run at 60 on current gen hardware. Its that simple.

RDR 2 is not the hardest game to run today, and yet is still one of the best looking games available. So maybe they dont need to compromise their vision in order to deliver 60.

Last edited:

jm89

I doubt it, especially at any decent resolution and if it is then the PS5 Pro will be turning up to looking stupid
Surely this is where PSSR comes in and saves the day?

That's seems to be the big selling point of the pro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom