• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take Two confirms PS5 and Xbox Series as platforms for GTA VI (no PC)

Dazraell

Jim Ryan's successor waiting for massive spike of PS5 sales in 2025

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Why are they holding themselves back like that I just don't understand

Because they don't want the post weeks launch dominated by two things..

1 PC screenshots and videos of the game running at 4K 60 all over the place, making console people angry that they're having to play at 1080p 30 with heavily stripped back graphics

2 PC players raising a stink at how buggy the game is and won't run properly on their rigs.

Majormaxxx

There is absolutely no way it will have the grass density detail and draw distance shown in the trailer.
easy - they will cut both grass and draw distance. On xbox one there was also less grass. Same with rdr on ps3 - less grass...

Hohenheim

Still haven't played GTA 4 and 5, so if im gonna play this i'll obviously manage to wait until it arrives on PC in all it's glory.
Definitly not playing this in low framerate and/or low resolution with any less than all details maxed out.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
2025!

I thought this was expected for next year. Assuming it's not coming January 1st 2025, expect something like 18 months-2 years of build up to launch day? Constant articles, videos, leaks and speculation.

Great. Can wait.

Last edited:

skit_data

I don't really understand why and how Rockstar do it this way? I mean they do it because they can, of course, but there must be some big upsides to doing it this way instead of releasing it on PC simultaneously?

SCB3

But why? Didn't GTAV sell really well on PC? Guess its fine for all the re-releases it'll get

Caio

Of course, the timing almost lines up perfectly with the next-gen consoles.

2025: Current-gen consoles
2026/2027: Enhanced PC version
2027/2028: Next-gen port based on PC version

You damn well know most won't resist and wait 1-2 years to play it on PC. They'll buy it when an enhanced version with path tracing and new graphics comes out, they'll buy it again. Then perhaps a third time for their PS6.
Why you should wait 1-2 years to play it on PC, when GTAVI will look stellar on a PS5 PRO...just curious...

twilo99

Because they don't want the post weeks launch dominated by two things..

1 PC screenshots and videos of the game running at 4K 60 all over the place, making console people angry that they're having to play at 1080p 30 with heavily stripped back graphics

2 PC players raising a stink at how buggy the game is and won't run properly on their rigs.

I can see that but those two would’ve effect sales regardless

Zathalus

PCMR's stubborn loyalty will be tested. The majority of them will fail and purchase a PS5 Pro.

With the exception of Alex Battaglia.

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max
I'm purchasing a PS5 Pro day one. It is not going to tempt me away from PC, it would just be for PS5 exclusives and the occasional game I still play on the couch.

There is a massive difference between playing the occasional game on your PS5 and switching over to it as your primary platform. Very few devout (note my wording) PC players would switch over.

Last edited:

Pejo

Sounds good. By the time it comes to PC I will maybe be able to afford a PC that can actually run it.

Kenpachii

Could it be that they want to release gta 6 on pc with online at the same time. I could see them not wanting to dig into the gta 5 online market just yet.

Zathalus

Not sure, this chart is all I could find on sales per platform. (and it's data from 2018)
Keep in mind, GTAV is constantly in the top 5, and often number 1 for consoles.

gta-3.png
Almost certainly wrong, GTA5 has 1.5 million reviews on Steam alone. That usually means around 60-90 million copies sold. So anything from a third to half of all GTA5 sales have been on PC.

Wiz

Everyone should just budget to buy this game at least two or three times LTD just like GTA V.

SantaC

Not sure, this chart is all I could find on sales per platform. (and it's data from 2018)

gta-3.png
the problem with this chart is that Steam has taken off to another level compared to 10 years ago

gta-3.png
The chart is also wrong stating that the GTA series was exclusive to the Playstation 2 (only the GTA stories were exclusive to the PSP). If memory recalls GTA 3 came out on the PC about 6 months after the Playstation 2 and it also made it's way to the xbox soon after that as did GTA VC and GTA SA. So not sure where they got "gta was a platystation exclusivre". As for GTA 5 sales (if those figures are to be believed) we are talkinga bout a game that was released on the PC 2 years after the PS3/Xbox 360 version. No one in their right might would expect sales figures to rival the consoles for a game that has already been out for 2 bloody years elsewhere.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I doubt this has anything to do with Sony's cheque book. MS got their cheque book out for GTAIV and it didn't have a PC release either. It's a Rockstar thing. I still believe xbox is the one who is likely to have paid for anything GTA6 related.

Would be surprised if MS has it TBH. The PS5 has been so huge this gen that GTA has to partner up with the winner console game, especially no PC version. ALso, Rockstar and Sony have a great history, plus its perfect for the PS5 pro marketing push. It just makes too much sense.

I could be wrong though as I thought they wouldnt skip PC day one this time.

Top Bottom