• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - World exclusive hands on with GTA V

Forget next-gen, this will be the most important thing for gaming this year. Hell, my hype for next-gen pales in comparison to my hype for this.

DjRoomba

Banned
You don't read a lot of movie magazines, I take it? In my opinion, cinema editorial is way more sycophantic and self-absorbed than gaming, especially since they're forced to vamp because they have to avoid spoilers and only have so much to talk about. At least there's not a face attached to the project to swoon over, the biggest stars of gaming are gameplay and graphics.

I'm for critiquing the critics fairly, but don't lie to yourself that the "important arts" have gotten it right.

Ive read previews and reviews in magazines and noone respected or from a respected magazine would write write like this. Just so uninformative and blindly in wonderment.

Derrick01

Banned
That was a terrible article. It read as a pure advertisement and I learned almost nothing new about the game.

I don't like how they made most of the focus on a bunch of missions. I'm trying not to spoil myself on those so I mostly avoided the last 3 pages of the article.

I wanted the writer to tell me how the game runs and actually looks (not that hyperbolic BS about the sunset making him orgasm. Draw distance, foliage, texture work...give me something useful). Tell me how all of the mechanics work together.

Meh it's probably better to just wait 2 weeks now.

Artex

Banned
I don't like how they made most of the focus on a bunch of missions. I'm trying not to spoil myself on those so I mostly avoided the last 3 pages of the article.

I wanted the writer to tell me how the game runs and actually looks (not that hyperbolic BS about the sunset making him orgasm. Draw distance, foliage, texture work...give me something useful). Tell me how all of the mechanics work together.

You have to remember that's exactly why IGN had the liberty of such an article. It is indeed an advertisement. Not a chance in hell they are going to comment on anything like framerate or textures or what have you. Come on meow.

BigDug13

You have to remember that's exactly why IGN had the liberty of such an article. It is indeed an advertisement. Not a chance in hell they are going to comment on anything like framerate or textures or what have you. Come on meow.

Game "previews" are always puff pieces on sites like this. They never go into detail about any problems they noticed during their playthrough. It's all roses.

The review period for this game is going to be incredibly annoying on here. So many people are ready to take their frustrations over how 4's review period was handled out on this game.

The sad part? The media will just fuel the fire with ridiculous hyperbole and perfect scores. We already know this game is leagues better than 4 but there will be an outcry if it matches 4's scores. The media painted themselves in a corner by giving such an overrated game 10s across the board, because they kind of have to give the better game the same score or else it doesn't make sense. Yet if they do it'll be hordes of "oh man cash dat check" comments.

I'll be too busy playing to see the war brewing on Gaf. Might come and check out the carnage afterwards.

http://www.gtav.net
Listing new information taken from the article. I believe some of it we did know but most of it is new.

To be fair, some of what is listed on there is taking liberties with the mission descriptions... Like driving the train, you can do in a mission but not confirmed whether you'll be able to do it outside of a mission. This was the case with RDR, where you could steal a train and then had to stop it before getting to a bridge, but you couldn't actually do this outside of a mission.

Also, things like branching paths, not entirely sure if that's going to be a focus of all missions or just a handful -- like in GTAIV previews that mentioned the lawyer mission, which was really the only mission in the game that gave you the option of doing it two ways.

Sylent01

They're supposedly doing more articles the rest of the week, maybe they will be more objective with these articles and give us some more details about the gameplay.

Raptomex

Welcome back.

I'm happy about the consistent framerate.

Agreed w/ Derrick. Actually a lot more interested in tomorrow's GTA Online exclusive preview because it can't just be a mission walk through. We'll actually have to learn more about the mechanics and how things work in the online world. We'll probably learn a lot about SP too with the online, if it discusses mechanics at all.

Even though I WANT to not learn any more about the game, I just can't help it. WHen new threads come up I have to consume this stuff. Although I did skip the mission walk throughs, they don't tell me anything about the game that I really want to hear... If they say "The missions are much more varied in V than in IV.." then that's one thing, but to depict three missions to me doesn't tell me a whole lot. You could depict three missions from IV and come away thinking it was varied and exciting.

My main concern with all the 3-character missions is that they will be super scripted to account for all the different character roles. I guess I'm okay with that as long as more of the early GTA freeform type missions are there too.

Derrick01

Banned
I'll be too busy playing to see the war brewing on Gaf. Might come and check out the carnage afterwards.

The review embargo will probably end at least a couple of days before the game comes out no?

They're supposedly doing more articles the rest of the week, maybe they will be more objective with these articles and give us some more details about the gameplay.

I wouldn't hold my breath there. Like Artex said this is basically a week long advertisement from IGN. They had to agree to something to get exclusive coverage.

Leb

OK, so this is pretty much the PR version of ALEC's 'model legislation.'

Rockstar: "Here's a template preview that's been vetted by our PR and legal teams. Please modify your copy to include any relevant personalization details (in the indicated areas only!) and forward your modified copy to our press liaison officer to receive final authorization for release."

Yakumo

Banned
I'm so looking forward to this. I've never been bothered to play a GTA game before but this new title actually caught my interest. should have it on September 18th according to Amazon Japan.

sappyday

As long as the characters don't move around like Nico then I can handle the X to sprint although I would prefer for it to optional.

Derrick01

Banned
Well, it's better than 1, 2, and London, yeah. So uh... It's in the better half of the series.

and the handheld games...technically I guess.

If we're being serious then I guess 4 isn't a bad game it's just colossally boring with hardly any meaningful content. Actually I guess I am saying it was a bad game.

Justmarbz

Neo Member
IGN said:
After seeing GTA V for the first time a few months ago the thing that struck me most was its incredible scope. Playing it for the first time has only served to strengthen my admiration of this game’s unprecedented girth. Not just physical girth. The sheer size of the world, sure, but also the utter variety that pervades GTA V’s every element.

Would you like to detail some of this "unprecedented variety girth" or whatever the fuck with some depth? already expected the locations, characters, vehicles and missions to be varied, but what about all the other shit? talk more about euphoria and awesome random events, not about the time you ran over a wolf but barely noticed. talk more about the side missions, diversions and other stuff that truly matters. also not one mention of IQ, framerate, pop-in, etc. I get that this is a "world first" hands on but could it be more soft-treading and pandering? "MrLukeReilly", this shit is an embarrassment. especially when you close the article with....

IGN said:
For most of this year gamers the world over have been preoccupied with discussing 2013’s exciting new console launches. We’ve hung on Sony and Microsoft’s every word, waiting for confirmation of just when the next generation was set to arrive.

The truth is, we knew all along. September 17.

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One may be arriving in November but GTA V is already poised to upstage the pair of them. With respect to the many tremendously exciting games headed to PS4 and Xbox One later this year, GTA V already feels like a potent reminder that ambition, confidence and, above all, gameplay beats a brand new box of chips and wires every time.

Never mind November; I suspect the next generation will start when GTA V says it does.

Disgusting. looking foward to reading some actual previews soon though.

edit: oh shit, do I even wanna check out the discussion video on pg.1 of the artcle? how bad are we talking here?

Sethos

Banned
and the handheld games...technically I guess.

If we're being serious then I guess 4 isn't a bad game it's just colossally boring with hardly any meaningful content. Actually I guess I am saying it was a bad game.

Like you say in every thread ever?

I dislike tap to sprint, but to me it's not nearly as bad as pushing the analogue stick all the way forward and only getting walking speed. That's what really drives me up the wall in GTA IV. It's an analogue stick, give me analogue movement control! I'll put up with mashing to sprint if I have to, just let me jog with the stick. The current setup means you have to be holding A (or mashing it) basically 100% of the time you spend playing the game. You end up dropping down to a walk every time you want to move the camera around, simply because they laid out the controls badly and 'camera' and 'jog' both use the same thumb.

I'm pretty sure they do this kind of thing to chase after that almighty 'immersion'. They don't want you sprinting around when they're trying to be all serious business with their walk'n'talk storytelling, that kind of thing. But my problem with that is that, if you design that kind of thing well enough, I'll choose to walk of my own accord. Don't force it. And especially don't compromise the controls of every other part of your game while you're at it.

ryanmac

Banned
As someone who actually writes professionally, I feel qualified to say this video game "journalist" takes himself far too seriously. A video game preview should not read like '50 Shades of Grey' prose. So grating.

You can drive trains... <3
l6GWZE6.gif

I was already in the second they said GTA 5, but holy shit I am really excited now I can drive trains.

Top Bottom