• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's hyperbole and circle-jerking of GTA5 is pretty embarassing

OP needs this quote

Fuckin' hilarious.
E2H2Bex.png

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Only because this is not the first time that this kind of things happens doesn't mean we have to accept or even overlook it.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So I've been reading the couple of these exclusive IGN previews of GTA5 and they sound more like marketing press releases from Rockstar than a preview from a 3rd party. In fact if Rockstar's marketing tried they probably could not do a better job of marketing the game than IGN is doing right now.

The praise goes even beyond hyperbole because the way they are writing the articles it written as if it's a novel and some blessed human is allowed to take a stroll through heaven and these are his experiences.

Shit like:

It's kinda amusing to see these IGN "journalists" thing they are some great writes spouting this drivel and how talented they are. I am sure Luke Reilly graduated from College with dreams of being a famous author but now has to spout PR on IGN for publishers thinks he is creating oscar worthy articles.

The what I am most kinda shocked by is that everyone on GAF is eating it up because its about GTA5 instead of calling them on this BS. I am sure GTA5 will be great and it will get it's 11/10 from IGN due to it surpassing Citizen Kane. Although I am sure there will be that huge backlash just like with GTA4.

But I think we should all be embarrassed by how blatant the IGN PR is instead of lapping it up.

TLDR:

SLQJc.gif

Same thing I felt when I read it, to be honest. There's praising a game, and there's going overboard. Guess which one this is.

They have these exclusives. It'd be stupid for them to not go balls out.

Yep, but having an exclusive hands-on doesn't mean you slobber over something. Of course you can't hate on the game since it is a preview, but the overall drooling shouldn't be that extreme, either.

On another note, this is what "games journalism" is. Very big entities like IGN, GameSpot, etc. almost always gets the "big" reveals, exclusives hands-on, exclusive interviews, etc. And not that I don't understand their (PR) logic. I mean, these guys gets a millions of hits every month, so naturally, PR will want to pimp their games out with the widest reach.

But sometimes, it makes me think up to what extent will and can these people do for exclusives? I'm in no way saying IGN, etc. are corrupt, since I've yet to see any evidence of this, but if they want to be taken seriously, then previews shouldn't be gratuitous wank-fests, no?

Just my 2 cents on this whole "exclusives" thing. I have more but it's more or less nonsense like that. :)

nib95

Banned
GTA costs so much money to make, I can only km imagine how much they set aside for marketing. Doesn't surprise me.

Yeah, the game looks amazing (and I didn't like 4 at all), but this was absurdly written. By the time you read one paragraph, it is all too apparent that it will be a glowing overview of the most-perfectest thing ever (and that is only a slight exaggeration. See: GTA4 reviews).

Which is even worse because GTA IV was pretty mediocre.

test_account

XP-39C²
Isnt it possible to be excisted about a game without it being hyperbole or being accused if being payed to say these things? The "next gen starts when GTA 5 says so" is probably exaggeration, but i think its just a figure of speech to say that they really like the game so far. EDIT: I only go by the quotes in the OP, i havnt read the whole article.

OP needs this quote

Fuckin' hilarious.
"Life-and-death dance" sounds like an exaggeration indeed. But at least it sounds like they like the game a lot :)

Frolow

Banned
GTA V is going to be, what, the third "Citizen Kane of Gaming" this year alone? Game journalism is a joke. Still, it's not unexpected, especially from a major site such as IGN.

As opposed to unconditionally praising everything about the game without even playing it?

I got the impression that they actually played it.

i don't care for IGN, but the game looks incredibly ambitious, both in SP and online. It's great to see a dev working on such scale.

Massive blockbusters are the bread and butter for these gaming sites. How else are they supposed to pay the bills? With some obscure JRPG?

MormaPope

Banned
Some posters have the weirdest relationship with IGN, its like watching a estranged, bloody marriage that always ends the same but the people involved never learn from the fighting or bickering.

Not expecting a GTA title to be hyped up is borderline ignorant or naive at this point. Expecting IGN not trying to appeal to a mainstream demographic is ignorant and naive at this point. I read IGN reviews once in a great moon and that's that.

Hopefully, someday, and someday soon, it'll be okay for some people to acknowledge something isn't for them. IGN doesn't need to matter, its okay.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
But that already happened a couple of times, ********** (an Italian nintendo magazine) gave Super Mario Galaxy 11/10.

Anyway, that IGN stuff is more shameless than the press releases R* wrote by themselves.

Well at least that game deserved it lol.

Or maybe we like a video game we played.

Shocking concept, I know.

I'm going with this. That didn't read like a monotone news clip. Just sounded like they really liked it and instead of bullet points went with describing in detail.

And I agree with their last statement. While I'm excited for my PS4 pre-order and all the happiness that console will bring me. GTA V is THE thing that I'm looking forward to more than ANYTHING happening this year and most of next year.

You might not agree, but some people really like GTA V.

Wow. The GTAV haters are dumping on acclaim for the game before they've even had a chance to pretend they've played it.
Haha, yep.

Fuck the haters. I enjoyed the read and love getting caught up in hype. I think OP needs to calm the fuck down and stop giving a shit what other people do.

HEY, STOP ENJOYING STUFF!

KalBalboa

Banned
... Maybe they just like the game?

Grand Theft Auto games are known for being incredibly popular for good reason, you know.

GameSeeker

IGN is doing the same thing they did for GTA IV. Their previews and review are meaningless - it's just advertising.

Rockstar gets high marks for knowing how to work the media to give them the 10 rating they want. They were very successful at doing it for GTA IV and they will do the same for GTA V.

It was always going to be another GTA IV scenario with the overblown bluster and hullabaloo prior to release; any fool could see that. I'm excited, but my expectations are tempered and then some.

In two months time, GTA V will be getting its backlash threads.

DodgerSan

Or maybe we like a video game we played.

Shocking concept, I know.

I was just about to post this.

But you're press, you're not allowed to be hyped for a game, apparently.

From what I've seen and read in interviews, if I was to sit down and write a preview it would probably sound pretty similar. (Bar the 'next-gen starting' quote, that was a bit iffy).

graboids

I dont have any problem with what IGN is doing, they played it and liked it. The only reason I played Saint Row the Third is because of how often Giant Bomb hyped it up... which I am glad they did, because it was great and I would have skipped it otherwise.

But that already happened a couple of times, ********** (an Italian nintendo magazine) gave Super Mario Galaxy 11/10.

Anyway, that IGN stuff is more shameless than the press releases R* wrote by themselves.

For Galaxy 2? I'll allow this

I'm hype for GTA5 as well, but making it sound like some life-affirming video game experience is doing it no favors.

2San

I'm going with this. That didn't read like a monotone news clip. Just sounded like they really liked it and instead of bullet points went with describing in detail.
Well you are pretty naive then, looking at IGN's and Take 2's track record.

Ploid 3.0

It's working though, they are getting massive hits, and they will most likely get more support with exclusive stuff from publishers again. For them it's win win. Can't hate the playa...

K4dUABi.jpg

BigDug13

There's that word again... hyperbole.

Is this now the official word of NeoGAF?

I don't understand the posts that paints the entire forum as one person when you are also a part of the forum. So aren't you painting yourself with that same brush? If NeoGAF's official word is hyperbole and you are a part of NeoGAF, then YOUR official word is also hyperbole.

On topic, it is a bit over the top and I think some of the IGN journalists wish they were novelists. But it is an exclusive peak and I'm sure "we'll totally hype your game if you give us access" was the deal made.

What I don't understand is why people care if IGN likes or doesn't like something? I mean, do any of you complaining about this even like IGN? Find yourself agreeing with their reviews and the scores they give them?

dankir

But you were still planning on buying the game right?

So why does it bother you a large gaming site is promoting what will arguably one of the best selling / most anticipated games of the year??

Empty

rockstar marketing and pr are so incredibly good at their jobs - to a point where i feel like derren brown is running those departments - i refuse to trust anything said about their games for a year or so.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
there's a lot to dislike about enthusiast press (in any industry) but don't be mad when they're enthusiastic about something.

I mean this is suppose to be entertainment; It's okay to like something.

Imagine if every preview was some dull fact report like the 10 o'clock news? or worse they don't talk about anything because even mentioning a game is advertisment. c'mon.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
It was always going to be another GTA IV scenario with the overblown bluster and hullabaloo prior to release; any fool could see that. I'm excited, but my expectations are tempered and then some.

In two months time, GTA V will be getting its backlash threads.

Yep, I remember it,too. GTAIV was being heralded as the "bestest gamez evar!!" across all of videogame-dom at the time.

But after 2-3 months? People were saying, "It's not as good as what people say," etc. Granted, the same can be said for almost every AAA game, but it was on another level for GTAIV.

Seems to be the case with GTAV. We'll know soon enough.

No doubt, GTA V will be fun, will sell boatloads and be a critical and commercial darling. But will it fare the same on GAF after a few months' time?

Top Bottom