• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's MadWorld Month: Meet Platinum Games

JDSN

Banned
As we kick off our month of MadWorld coverage, we figured the best place to start is with the company itself. So we chatted with PG's department heads about their roles and their games, had them kindly provide official profiles and snapshots of their work environment, and topped it all off with a handful of exclusive new MadWorld screenshots involving toilet mutilation.

madworld-20090209001208994-000.jpg

madworld-20090209001155603-000.jpg

:D
madworld-20090209001129042-000.jpg

And the best part of it:
Tatsuya Minami: Presently, our staff consists of roughly 120 or 130 members, of which slightly under a hundred are employees. Contractors make up the remainder. Within PlatinumGames proper, there are three teams at work. Two teams are working on Bayonetta (Director Hideki Kamiya) and MadWorld (Director Shigenori Nishikawa). The third team, under Director Shinji Mikami, is developing a yet unannounced title.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:
wait, what the fuck? what about infinite space/line!?

The line after:

"There is also another title being developed as a joint project with external staff—Infinite Space with Nude Maker President Hifumi Kouno serving as director. "

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
schuelma said:
The line after:

"There is also another title being developed as a joint project with external staff—Infinite Space with Nude Maker President Hifumi Kouno serving as director. "

This is the first confirmation of it being fully outsourced, isn't it? We knew Nude Maker was partially working on it, but I didn't know it shunted that far out :p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The third team, under Director Shinji Mikami, is developing a yet unannounced title.
There were rumors about that. Nice to hear some confirmations.

GhostSeed said:
I'll cut his head off myself if it's a iPhone game.

Would be cool if it was a PSP game. Round off the console love they've been showing.

Really though, whatever it is you know it'll be good.

except if it's for phones

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
GhostSeed said:

Honestly, I have no problem if its an iPhone game, as long as they do a good job of understanding the strengths of the iphone/ipod touch. My biggest problem with many iphone games is that developers don't really understand what's so great about the platform, and do shitty things like not support the music library, or superimpose button controls onto the touch screen.

These guys are SO AWESOME. God I can't wait to see how awesome their current projects turn out and what they do next.

Regulus Tera said:
OMGWTFBBQ

I was wondering what the fuck was Shinji Mikami doing.
Mikami actually confirmed himself on PG's blog that he was working on a new project, about a year ago. I even made a stealth thread about that :p

Eteric Rice

..pakbeka.. said:
I thought Mikami's PG project was put on hold while he works with Suda on that EA project

I heard the EA project was cancelled when EA did that huge layoff.

I might be remembering wrong, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Regulus Tera said:
OMGWTFBBQ

I was wondering what the fuck was Shinji Mikami doing.

Jocchan said:
There were rumors about that. Nice to hear some confirmations.

Eteric Rice said:
I wonder what the unannounced project is...

comedy bomb said:
And what platforms will it hit?

GhostSeed said:

Shadowlink123 said:
I hope it's another wii game. 2009 for the Wii so far is kicking ass

I thought Mikami was joining up with EA and Suda for a PS3/360/Wii game
in addition to working on his own solo project
?

Davey Cakes

I don't really get what's so special about Madworld.

It's a stylish game with a more "hardcore" mindset put behind it. And...it's a beat-em-up.

Remember when IGN covered the hell out of No More Heroes? It wasn't a bad game, certainly, because I know I enjoyed it. But really, it was a 7/10. Fun, but flawed. Who's to say that Madworld won't be the same?

People are going crazy over what's just going to be another solid game for Wii, it appears. To be honest, I'm much more excited for The Conduit, or, hell, even Sonic & the Black Knight.

Rash said:
Remember when IGN covered the hell out of No More Heroes? It wasn't a bad game, certainly, because I know I enjoyed it. But really, it was a 7/10. Fun, but flawed. Who's to say that Madworld won't be the same?
If MadWorld is the same as No More Heroes, then that's justification for the hype.

Rash said:
To be honest, I'm much more excited for The Conduit, or, hell, even Sonic & the Black Knight.
Oh. Oh my. You poor dear. Run along now, we're talking about grown-up games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Rash said:

It's a stylish game with a more "hardcore" mindset put behind it. And...it's a beat-em-up.

People are going crazy over what's just going to be another solid game for Wii, it appears. To be honest, I'm much more excited for The Conduit, or, hell, even Sonic & the Black Knight.

It's being made by superstar developers, directors, producers, and designers, so... that could account for it.

JDSN

Banned
Rash said:

Because its an exclusive Wii game made by a talented team of developers backed up by one of the most successful publishers on the Wii, its also has interesting mix of humor and violence, an interesting art style that could have gone ended looking bad if done wrong but didnt, and a gameplay that has gotten positive feedback and is obviously inspired on Godhand.

Also, it DOES looks like a solid Wii game, unlike Sonic.

If you do not buy the games that PlatinumGames ends up releasing, you are an asshole. Plain and simple.

In my opinion, no developer deserves success more than they do.

jay

I think I may decide to be an asshole if reviewers all agree a game they release is not good. I'm not a charity.

But that's too negative for a thread about such an awesome team and I'm probably lying anyway.

Rash said:

Not trying to flame you, because you have every right to feel that way. With that said, I really felt that NMH always looked like a 7-ish piece of software. The videos of NMH were very telling, and it really gave an accurate picture of how it would play out, and the quality of the title itself. With Madworld though, its a bit different, because not only do the videos show nothing but good(still much we havent seen still), but its also backed by a VERY credible team. I think Madworld deserves a bit more hype, but it could still turn out as you say. Lord knows if the enemies are just walking around aimlessly, it will. That probably wont happen though, given how utterly brutal their other games have been.

This game is much more of a "safe bet" than NMH.

Amir0x

Banned
Rash said:

No More Heroes was completely fucking crap, but I wouldn't put these at all on the same level.

Mad World is made by a competent developer brimming with talent, and No More Heroes was made by Suda 51. I mean it's easy to see from any of their products that the resulting title would have been mediocre at best. With Platinum Games and their head staff, you know they have concepts and crew that at the very least know what they're doing and at the very most are going to bring the fucking heat.

I don't care for Bayonetta's slut style, but the game is going to be fucking badass to play I bet. And that's 'cause Kamiya is the MAN.

And Mad World is gonna be awesome 'cause the collective power of their inherent talent, coupled with baddass art style and ultraviolence, means win.

No More Heroes was made by Suda 51/Grasshopper, which by comparison to the talent at Platinum Games is like putting a Little League Baseball team of Bumfuckville, Ohio against 1996-2000 New York Yankees.

Now until they can put something together with this talent, it still MAY turn out crap, but I'd say the odds are waaay better than they ever were for No More Heroes.

Flakster99

Excellent OP. Thanks!

U K Narayan said:
If you do not buy the games that PlatinumGames ends up releasing, you are an asshole. Plain and simple.

In my opinion, no developer deserves success more than they do.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on there partner. Let's hold out on proclaiming Platinum Games masters of the universe for the time being. A fine pedigree, expectations, and gummy bears are all fine and dandy, but they've released jack fucking shit thus far, and nothing is guaranteed.
Geeze. ;)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rash said:
I don't really get what's so special about The Conduit.

It's a decent game with a more "hardcore" mindset put behind it. And...it's a shooter.

Remember when IGN covered the hell out of No More Heroes? It wasn't a bad game, certainly, because I know I enjoyed it. But really, it was a 7/10. Fun, but flawed. Who's to say that The Conduit won't be the same?

People are going crazy over what's just going to be another solid game for Wii, it appears. To be honest, I'm much more excited for MadWorld, or, hell, even House of the Dead: Overkill.

See what I did there?

Flakster99 said:
Whoa whoa whoa, hold on there partner. Let's hold out on proclaiming Platinum Games masters of the universe for the time being. A fine pedigree, expectations, and gummy bears are all fine and dandy, but they've released jack fucking shit thus far, and nothing is guaranteed.
Geeze. ;)
Shinji Mikami, Atsushi Inaba, and Hideki Kamiya are major players in PlatinumGames.

If that triumvirate doesn't scream ULTIMATE WIN, I don't know what does.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
U K Narayan said:
Shinji Mikami, Atsushi Inaba, and Hideki Kamiya are major players in PlatinumGames.

If that triumvirate doesn't scream ULTIMATE WIN, I don't know what does.

If Suda 51 was doing the concept

Fredescu

Rash said:

Developer pedigree to start with, followed by gameplay videos showing lots of creativity and variation in gameplay. It's clearly not your garden variety beat-em-up, as opposed to the Conduit which is clearly a garden variety shooter.

Davey Cakes

Awesome. You guys actually defended the cause and thoroughly made a discussion out of what I had to say about MadWorld.

I respect your efforts, and have even changed my outlook because of them.

Score one for the gaffers!

Rash said:
Awesome. You guys actually defended the cause and thoroughly made a discussion out of what I had to say about MadWorld.

I respect your efforts, and have even changed my outlook because of them.

Score one for the gaffers!
For all of the mess a lot of gaffers cause(and all the threads they flood), the ones who respect each others opinions and have an honest, mature discussion about things really make up for it. Its a beautiful thing, because there are some great minds on here.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
abstract alien said:
For all of the mess a lot of gaffers cause(and all the threads they flood), the ones who respect each others opinions and have an honest, mature discussion about things really make up for it. Its a beautiful thing, because there are some great minds on here.

Hey, stop being so positive!

EmCeeGramr said:
If MadWorld is the same as No More Heroes, then that's justification for the hype.

I fully expect MadWorld to eclipse No More Heroes because it looks to both have kickass style and gameplay. Suda really needs an editor something to make the 'game' parts of his games better. That would actually be Mikami and EA!

Top Bottom