• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Forbes shouldn't be reporting on any video game related material at all.

What do they know? I'd take what they say anything video game related with a grain of salt

It's a contributor, not staff, that also happens to write for IGN and Wired. And a major hardware release is a big thing financially for many companies, so it's a relevant discussion.

j-wood

Boy, people really don't understand how new products work do they? I can't tell you how many times I've bought a graphics card for my desktop PC and it's DOA.

Wouldn't you think if you were Sony you would, you know, manually QA all the PS4 units that were given away at the Sony press event? Because there could be nothing worse for the hype train than giving DOA units to the press?

Elchele

Forbes shouldn't be reporting on any video game related material at all.

What do they know? I'd take what they say anything video game related with a grain of salt

Just to have Kotaku and IGN with faulty consoles is enough signal of something being wrong. Can't be a coincidence.

Best case scenario: they got early units from a bad batch or something.

Wouldn't you think if you were Sony you would, you know, manually QA all the PS4 units that were given away at the Sony press event? Because there could be nothing worse for the hype train than giving DOA units to the press?

Manually QA 4000 units?

Are you shitting me?

KMS

Repair rates for 3- to 4-year-old products.
Product Repair Rate by %
Laptop computer 43%
Refrigerator: side-by-side, with icemaker and dispenser 37
Rider mower 32
Lawn tractor 31
Desktop computer 31
Washing machine (front-loading) 29
Self-propelled mower 28
Vacuum cleaner (canister) 23
Washing machine (top-loading) 22
Dishwasher 21
Refrigerator: top- and bottom-freezer, w/ icemaker 20
Gas range 20
Wall oven (electric) 19
Push mower (gas) 18
Cooktop (gas) 17
Microwave oven (over-the-range) 17
Clothes dryer 15
Camcorder (digital) 13
Vacuum cleaner (upright) 13
Refrigerator: top- and bottom-freezer, no icemaker 12
Range (electric) 11
Cooktop (electric) 11
Digital camera 10
TV: 30- to 36-inch direct view 8
TV: 25- to 27-inch direct view 6

Considering fail rates for electronics consoles are that bad. Except for the 360 they are usually around 2-4%. Doesn't seem to be an much of an issue yet and is even looking promising.

"The death of one console is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic."

Console wars is official underway let the games begin!

Kssio_Aug

Well, I would say that this is not a minimal failure rate for one day reports. But if its true what someone said last page, that some of the sent units were the ones at the events, then its understandable. Also, all this fear is coming from a paranoia obtained after RROD and YLOD.

Lets see after this weekend with tons of people playing for hours and hours. So we can have a good idea of the danger.

Also, I believe its very important to mention that those faulty units did not have the same exactly problems all of them. Some with the white light, some with HDMI problem, and some a unkown issue (like IGNs console). So it sure can be a normal number of problematic units at its relase.

vcc

Just to have Kotaku and IGN with faulty consoles is enough signal of something being wrong. Can't be a coincidence.

Best case scenario: they got early units from a bad batch or something.

Someone mentioned they gave away 100 review units at the review event over the weekend. 2/100 seems like standard DOA for electronics. 0.4% of 4100 seems a bit low. A warranty repair shop quoted 3% as the wii, PS3, PS2 DOA fail rates. PS2 was 8% within 2 years. PS3 was 10%. 360 was the outlier at 33% within 2 years.

Boy, people really don't understand how new products work do they? I can't tell you how many times I've bought a graphics card for my desktop PC and it's DOA.

Yep, and my PS2 was faulty and couldn't play some games (Outbreak was all blue with only character models colored and clearly visible). I unfortunately gave up on the system entirely for that gen, and never experienced games like Shadow of the Colossus and Silent Hill 2.

Anyway, this is pretty normal stuff and we hear about it at the beginning of every gen.

If we're going anecdotal, I've been building computers for myself, friends, and family for like 15 years. I've never had a single DOA component of any type in all my years.

I've had one console arrive DOA (a 360).

I have a pretty big "fuck XBox One" attitude. This is still troubling.

hesido

PS4-build-quailty.gif

Dat usb port build quality.

I was afraid they could fall short on build quality to match demand, I hope this is not widespread! Looking at the usb ports on the T3 reveal of PS4, which is among the first official sku reveals, I wouldn't be surprised a few units have faulty I/O ports like the HDMI port in IGN's case.

meanspartan

IGN got a faulty PS4. Kotaku got a faulty PS4. When you think it is over a Forbes CONTRIBUTOR gets a faulty PS4. It is over. Pack it up, guys. Time to go home.

See that's the thing. Unlike the Taco Bell winners where we aren't sure how many take it to twitter or whatever vs. how many just quietly call up Sony, with the press you can bet we know or will know about every unit which doesn't work.

So we know one from Kotaku out of the 5 they got is busted. So is one at IGN, and I bet they got at least ten given how big they are. And then a bunch of other gaming websites got a handful each at least I am sure, from which we have heard nothing about.

There are probably at least a couple hundred out in the press, and we know of two dead ones. 3 if you count this Forbes guy.

Failure rate under 5% so far of press units, unless I am overestimating how many total are out there.

Which is not great but not exactly terrible either for a hardware launch.

vcc

If we're going anecdotal, I've been building computers for myself, friends, and family for like 15 years. I've never had a single DOA component of any type in all my years.

I've had one console arrive DOA (a 360).

I have a pretty big "fuck XBox One" attitude. This is still troubling.

I had a DOA wii, swapped it at retail for a wii that I eventually found out couldn't play SSBB. Sent that in for a free drive replacement.

At work we go through a small of hardware, we have had 1/8 laptops be DOA. I've had 1 HDD / 20 be DOA. I've had about 5 DOA mice out of a lot. 1/22 monitors have been DOA. 1 RAID controller was also DOA. I've been doing this job for 6 years. I don't think it's that remarkable. May because I live in a city far far far away from everything the extra shipping distance makes it more likely.

dan2026

Buying a console at launch is still really daft to me.

Why not wait until all the crap settles and you can really see where the problems lie?

PS4-build-quailty.gif

I was afraid they could fall short on build quality to match demand, I hope this is not widespread! Looking at the usb ports on the T3 reveal of PS4, which is among the first official sku reveals, I wouldn't be surprised a few units have faulty I/O ports like the HDMI port in IGN's case.

Dat picture looks like its under an angle in the first place my dude

charsace

People have to wait until like January or Feb to see what's up. I wonder how many they sent to IGN though? Sending out a bunch of systems to one place and having 4 break isn't good.

PS4-build-quailty.gif

Pretty sure the Ps4 is slanted in that pic

Perspective how does it work?

0.4%? 1 in 250...

For every million units, that's... up to 4,000 affected?
I'm assuming this is some sort of jawdropped flabbergasted response. A 0.4% manufacturing defect rate is within the norm for consumer electronics products.

Yes, roughly 4,000 per million units will be defective due to a manufacturing fault out of the box.

And if it's anything like any other consumer electronic, which it likely is, something like 35,000 units will fail within the first year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PS4-build-quailty.gif

are we fucking serious

VinLAURiA

Banned
I'm assuming this is some sort of jawdropped flabbergasted response. A 0.4% manufacturing defect rate is within the norm for consumer electronics products.

Yes, roughly 4,000 per million units will be defective due to a manufacturing fault out of the box.

And if it's anything like any other consumer electronic, which it likely is, something like 35,000 units will fail within the first year.
It's not flabbergasted, those are thinking pauses.

Vooduu

PS4-build-quailty.gif

That's just from the angle you're looking at it from, other than the obsessive nitpicking. Do the same with the PS4 facing directly.

hesido

are we fucking serious

This was a minor thing I noticed in the PS4 reveal, didn't give it much importance but when IGN mentioned a faulty port, this came to my mind.

Btw, the picture is slanted, and yes, there's a thing called perspective. But if you care to look at the slit distance from the top and to the bottom in both ports, you'll see that the ratio is different. This is not present other PS4's. This is only in a single unit in that official reveal video from T3.

Easiest way to see the difference in the slit distance, just measure the pixels to the line on top on both ports. The right port is lower. (and no, if perspective wouldn't make it further away from that middle line. It would make it closer. It's not even rocket science, guys.)

You know what I'm pumped about? Living on Central time. So please East coast gaffers, get home, update, and report back while I am in line. I'll probably keep mine regardless & I'm really not that worried about it, but ya never know..

Azull

are we fucking serious

This was a minor thing I noticed in the PS4 reveal, didn't give it much importance but when IGN mentioned a faulty port, this came to my mind.

Btw, the picture is slanted, and yes, there's a thing called perspective. But if you care to look at the slit distance from the top and to the bottom in both ports, you'll see that the ratio is different. This is not present other PS4's. This is only in a single unit in that official reveal video from T3.

Does that answer your question Kev lol?

suedester

Banned
The PS4 in the picture is angled. Every line on it slops down towards the right that's why the USB doesn't match.

The red line is completely parallel with the USB port so it should negate any angle that the ps4 is pictured at. Not that it really matters, both ports would probably still work.

Racer1977

Just think, there was a time when people simply returned a console, got a replacement, and went on their way. Today, well today, you have to write articles, blogs, shoot videos, broadcast this and that.

Still find it weird how some people have no idea about failure rates and such, with millions of consoles set to ship, you will have to spend every waking hour to keep track of those that are faulty.

Ateron

Been lurking this thread for a while now. I know that hw failure is part of being an early adopter, but it still boggles my mind how on earth is possible that, given the numbers (0,4% failure) both Kotaku and Ign managed to get faulty units. It's one hell of a coincidence.

This thread got me paranoid, still two weeks for me to get a ps4, but screw it. Warranties exist for a reason. Just hope this is another pre-launch exageration.

Majanew

Banned
Just think, there was a time when people simply returned a console, got a replacement, and went on their way. Today, well today, you have to write articles, blogs, shoot videos, broadcast this and that.

Still find it weird how some people have no idea about failure rates and such, with millions of consoles set to ship, you will have to spend every waking hour to keep track of those that are faulty.

I don't care if the failure rate is 0.4% or 40%. If my PS4 dies when I get home tonight, I'm gonna be one mad motherfucker. 8 years with the current consoles. I'm ready to get my next-gen started!

Zyae

PS4-build-quailty.gif

wuhwhat.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Easiest way to see the difference in the slit distance, just measure the pixels to the line on top on both ports. The right port is lower. (and no, if perspective wouldn't make it further away from that middle line. It would make it closer. It's not even rocket science, guys.)
It hurts my eyes to look that hard!!!

hesido

Does that answer your question Kev lol?

Lol, yeah, I mean I'm serious but I didn't count the pixels OR calculated the ratio. It's so obvious to me, like it was when I saw it in less than a second in the video. They just don't line up. All that talk about measuring distance and ratio is for people who claim it is because of the perspective or slant.

It hurts my eyes to look that hard!!!

Haha, I think it was my OCD kicking in while I watched that video. Everything in that video was so perfect, this just caught my eye, I wasn't necessarily looking for it to be honest.

sqwarlock

Man, it's weird to see a console launch that's able to be reported across social media like this. The few people screaming from their roofs about failures get a much bigger audience now, and it makes all of this stuff seem overblown.

MilkBeard

PS4-build-quailty.gif

The USB ports on my computer (there are three side by side) look kind of like that, they are not exactly in line, or rather when you look at it from different angles the light makes them look out of line, but they all work perfectly and I've had this for almost three years. That picture doesn't really tell us much about build quality.

Rayzner

Neo Member
This reminds me of of all those journalist that talked about there failed WiiU's and social media about people un boxing there WiiU that instafailed...

PS4-build-quailty.gif

x12LDqp.jpg

Jburton

Banned
PS4-build-quailty.gif

So you think that is an actual retail unit in that video?

Its the same empty shell that was in the demo cases at e3 and other places, that video is from June.

hesido

So you think that is an actual retail unit in that video?

Its the same empty shell that was in the demo cases at e3 and other places, that video is from June.

Never thought of it that way. But it's kind of odd they used this for the official SUPER close up reveal :)

I'm beginning to regret posting it with the "build quality" remarks tho :\ Could have been a fun post some thread else.

edit: for the grasping straws painting poster: Your "people with an agenda, posting things and stuff" senses are mis-tingling.

Top Bottom