• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm finding FFXV to be quite brutal, who was this game catered to?

MilkBeard

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit myself. The story itself is unfortunately weak for most of the game, but everything else makes up for it. I find it to be quite fun and refreshing. If you play a lot of open world games, then I could see it being more of a slog.

Cmagus

It's probably one of the worst mainline Final Fantasy to date imo. The story is pretty lackluster for the most part although there is some glimmers of hope here and there but honestly the main characters are so poor that it kills most of the game. The whole "bro" thing gets tired really fast and after awhile they end up becoming those annoying friends.

I get what they were going for but it feels so forced and just awkward. The gameplay is pretty average and the game play isn't strong enough to carry a poor story. Progression wise it's all over the place and although the world looks pretty it's so empty and boring and probably the reason the Imperial ships show up every 30 seconds so you aren't stuck running around with nothing to do. This game didn't feel like Final Fantasy at all in anyway imo.

Focus groups.

The go-to criticism for anything you don't like.

I mean, I was plenty disappointed with how FFXV turned out but, fuck, "focus group," "designed by committee," and "soulless" are the new buzzwords to use when you want to shit on something but don't actually have anything to say.

I knew when the game made me slowly push a car to the sound of Florence + The Machine murdering Stand By Me that the game wasn't for me. I should probably stick my copy on ebay before it's worthless.

The camera in battle when you have more than a couple of enemies makes me want to rip my own face off.

Squire

Banned
People say "it's about the bros", but the bros are barely there and barely characterized or developed beyond their very obvious, cursory tropes.

It was 2-3 hours before I started hearing repeated dialogue between them. They animate them in the car as though they're talking to each other but there's basically never actually dialogue unless it pertains to a location you're visiting for the story.

Like, the game doesn't do anywhere near enough with them to coast on being about them or their relationship. And really, most RPGs are about their central cast in some part and do a far better job at developing them and their relationships. Hell, developing them at all.

Persona 4 is a great example of a game that has a predictable thin main plot, but people remember it because the characters carry it. They start pretty close and only get closer and the experience is inhabiting that dynamic. FFXV could've done that, but it didn't.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I don't think the game does a well enough job at explaining things. I met the behemoth and they told me to use Fire to blow up barrels. At that point I didn't know I had fire but I had collected fire element. After going through the menus I found some menu words that reminded me of magic. Some clicking and experimenting and I had fire and could defeat the behemoth.

So far I enjoy the side questing. The story is so badly told (and bad) that it's amazing that anyone actually wants the "written by"-credit. Yikes.

Ruff

It plays like a really weird mix of KH and Platinum style combat. Not sure they really nailed the best of both worlds though.

theofficefan99

The go-to criticism for anything you don't like.

I mean, I was plenty disappointed with how FFXV turned out but, fuck, "focus group," "designed by committee," and "soulless" are the new buzzwords to use when you want to shit on something but don't actually have anything to say.

But FFXV is pretty soulless and lacking in vision and it shows.

MilkBeard

To me, there are definitely flaws, but I can definitely see the parts where the designers put their love into the game. And those parts, such as many of the detailed environments, as well as the banter between the bros, is really great. I feel legitimately happy to play the game, and I think that's a good thing.

I would hope BD5 takes from the systems they built for this game and develops them for a new title. There is a lot of potential and room for improvement that I really want to see them expand on it.

But FFXV is pretty soulless and lacking in vision and it shows.

While lacking in vision, the game definitely has soul..it's just not in the places that people were expecting.

Kssio_Aug

Haven't had the opportunity to play it yet. I don't want to pay for it right now with so many other more interesting titles released, but it's still in my wishlist.

But I expected that...

The game stayed TOO long in the oven and suffered too many changes, and that never is a good thing.

A bit before release I watched Kingsglaive and besides actually enjoying it overall I was deeply disappointed by the huge change of tone compared the trailers presented in 2006. They seemed to reject a possible strong and cool female antagonist and made her one more fragile princess. There was no more blood, no more badass killing moves, no more dark atmosphere.

LordKasual

Banned
Now granted, I'm not super far in... I've done a good but of questing and exploring around, but I'm not far in. Does this game take a nice turn where it starts to just really come together and feel more like a Final Fantasy game? Or does it sort of stay the course and basically what you get from the start is what you're gonna get the whole game?

If you want anything even remotely resembling an objective review of FFXV, you're in the wrong place. Non-negative opinions of XV in this community are rare, and the people who hate the game really, really hate the game

If you actually want to enjoy it, i'd consider asking some other community. Like, literaly any other community. I think the only game GAF hates more than FFXV is No Man's Sky.

But just from the way the question is phrased...I have no idea what "final fantasy" feels like to you, and so i can't really answer the question. It felt like a Final Fantasy game to me less then 4 hours in, so you'd need to be more specific.

Ray Down

Banned
To me, there are definitely flaws, but I can definitely see the parts where the designers put their love into the game. And those parts, such as many of the detailed environments, as well as the banter between the bros, is really great. I feel legitimately happy to play the game, and I think that's a good thing.

I would hope BD5 takes from the systems they built for this game and develops them for a new title. There is a lot of potential and room for improvement that I really want to see them expand on it.

That's BD2, BD5 is the online division (14 & 11)

Firenze1

Banned
FFXV is probably my most disappointed game in the series. More so then XIII.

Is it wrong that i found lightning returns more fun then FFXV?

They aren't going back to linear games, they going to experiment with open world/hubs from now on.

Hopefully they do a much better job and instead of a select few massive environments do a bunch of smaller, individual ones with variety that are still "open world" but where you're not looking at the same shit for most of the time.

FF12 felt "open world" to me as it had massive open environments but they were actually themed with tons of visual and music variety.

Jotakori

I had a decent amount of fun in the open world section. Combat was fun enough for me, loved the dungeons, and the banter was enjoyable. The lack of any major story progression or character development or anything of actual substance was a bit of a bummer, though. Didn't ruin that part, but made it definitely feel like it was lacking some sort of spark. But then you get to the ACTUAL story part and it's... such a mess. Such a horrible, horrible mess.
How they handled the plot and lack of character development and even screen time past that point DID completely ruined the game for me. :(

And what makes it all the worse is I think what they had for a story could have been totally fine if they had actually shown the dang story at all. I mean, I can totally squint and see a XV that could have made it on my top favorite games list instead of my top most disappointing games list. It just fell way too short of its own potential.

AzureFlame

A mix but not full Open world, Nomura says it isn't going open world.

But what they means can vary and be pretty ambiguous.

that's good, i just want enough space to breath and explore, no need for them to go super big if they don't have the time, budget and skills to do that.

Ray Down

Banned
that's good, i just want enough space to breath and explore, no need for them to go super big if they don't have the time, budget and skills to do that.

Seeing how the game won't be out till 2019 at the earliest they got the time for just Part 1 if they want, lol.

Ray Down

Banned
FF12 felt "open world" to me as it had massive open environments but they were actually themed with tons of visual and music variety.

I imagine if they don't want to go full open world again (but they will just experiment more) they would just make a bigger 12.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
People say "it's about the bros", but the bros are barely there and barely characterized or developed beyond their very obvious, cursory tropes.

It was 2-3 hours before I started hearing repeated dialogue between them. They animate them in the car as though they're talking to each other but there's basically never actually dialogue unless it pertains to a location you're visiting for the story.

Like, the game doesn't do anywhere near enough with them to coast on being about them or their relationship. And really, most RPGs are about their central cast in some part and do a far better job at developing them and their relationships. Hell, developing them at all.

Persona 4 is a great example of a game that has a predictable thin main plot, but people remember it because the characters carry it. They start pretty close and only get closer and the experience is inhabiting that dynamic. FFXV could've done that, but it didn't.

I felt the camaraderie of the party in Xenoblade way more than Final Fantasy XV.

Firenze1

Banned
Hopefully they do a much better job and instead of a select few massive environments do a bunch of smaller, individual ones with variety that are still "open world" but where you're not looking at the same shit for most of the time.

FF12 did it better for sure. Music was so good.

MilkBeard

I imagine if they don't want to go full open world again (but they will just experiment more) they would just make a bigger 12.

12's size would actually be good, although they need to go with a seamless world. I think that would be a perfect size for a new Final Fantasy. Heck, they could go even smaller, and it would still feel big enough to feel like a world.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously. I played 10 hours and they got absolutely zero character development. There's Strong Guy, Nerd Guy, Goofy Guy and Stoic Hero. I've taken shits with more developed personalities.

Honestly one of my biggest gripes. I'll take smaller rpgs that might not have the budget presentation wise and have to rely on text boxes but actually have character development, arcs over whatever FFXV is any day. Super frustrating for me given the already small scope character wise that those 4 are not as fleshed out as they should be. Somehow other games have side characters with more meat to them.

Squire

Banned
I felt the camaraderie of the party in Xenoblade way more than Final Fantasy XV.

I can't think of any RPG I've played where the dynamic is as nothing as Noctis and his friends. I guess they argue a few times through the game? It's really nothing to write home about.

ZangBa

It was made for anyone they could trick into believing it was a complete and competent game, just looking to salvage the mess Nomura left behind and make back some dollarly doos.

Still waiting that they finish the game. I hope the DLC and more patches can help with the problems. Maybe we get FF15-2 and 3 and a definitive edition. Not interested im playing the game in its current state. But I really liked the movie.

12's size would actually be good, although they need to go with a seamless world. I think that would be a perfect size for a new Final Fantasy. Heck, they could go even smaller, and it would still feel big enough to feel like a world.

Yeah, XII is massive and felt bigger to me than XV because of how you're actually engaged with most of the environment-- in XV, there's a lot of dead space and not enough points of interest spread out over it. But XII, with its massive "zones" kept things thematically interesting and it felt more like a huge journey across an interesting world compared to XV and its desert/grass areas with telephone poles.

kiuo

It's a jarring mixture of fantasy and reality in its aesthetics. I never could get used to see all the roads sitting right next to all the fantasy landscapes, monsters, and all dem gas stations and markets. Always made the whole experience of the world I was traveling in felt very off to me.

Not to mention the poorly done story and combat. One of the worst game I've played recently. Only thing equalled to it in terribleness was star ocean 5.

AzureFlame

Is it wrong that i found lighting returns more fun then FFXV?

game play wise all FF games were good except XV, i mean come on just look at the magic system in this game, what is this.. also can you even lose in this game?

edit: oh yeah maybe from a car crash.

Firenze1

Banned
game play wise all FF games were good except XV, i mean come on just look at the magic system in this game, what is this.. also can you even lose in this game?
Yeah it is pretty pathetic that you can revive yourself how many times you want after you get koed.

Magic was dumb . You got tons of loot, but zu beaks were so much better then anything else that it made all other loot useless.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Is it wrong that i found lighting returns more fun then FFXV?
Lightning Returns is a thousand times better than XV. Better as an open world too.

Geg

I like the way 12 did it in theory, but the problem I had with 12 is that there were just too many different big areas where all you did was run through and kill enemies until you made it to the next big area, without any way to move through areas quickly like chocobos (there were chocobos in 12 but they were extremely limited) or vehicles. As a result there were long stretches of the game that just felt dull to me, particularly the trek from Dalmasca to Archades.

For as many flaws as 15 had, I never felt bored during it like I did in some parts of 12. If they do another system like 12 again they should either dial down on the number of areas you need to travel through or on their size.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

edit: oh yeah maybe from a car crash.

You mean Final Fantasy XV's grenade system.

MilkBeard

I like the way 12 did it in theory, but the problem I had with 12 is that there were just too many different big areas where all you did was run through and kill enemies until you made it to the next big area, without any way to move through areas quickly like chocobos (there were chocobos in 12 but they were extremely limited) or vehicles. As a result there were long stretches of the game that just felt dull to me, particularly the trek from Dalmasca to Archades.

For as many flaws as 15 had, I never felt bored during it like I did in some parts of 12. If they do another system like 12 again they should either dial down on the number of areas you need to travel through or on their size.
Mixing the good qualities of 12 and 15 would give a great semi-open world.

KanameYuuki

What a horrible game it was, the only difficulty and depth there is on combat is related to how many recovery items you have. I'm super pissed I bought it digitally so no way for me to get even 5 bucks back from it, the only redeeming there is from this game is that it made me buy FF Type 0 which I ended up loving quite a lot.

The way they handled magic was just so stupid, ended up never using it because A I didn't have resources to replenish it when I needed and B it was so OP that it made the game even more shallow, It should have been more like the ring works, that was so powerful made sense and it felt like being a badass in control, but too bad it was obtained on the very worst part of it that drags for way too long.

The worst part is that pretentious screen when you stat up the game every time, it is neither for fans nor for first timers.

HeeHo

FFXIII's battle system was better than in most JRPG ever released. That game can be trashed for a ton of reasons, but certainly not for its combats.

It's engaging, I'll give it that. Sometimes changing paradigms is fun, but the game still suffers from "press auto-battle to win". It still ended up having that XII problem where it felt like it was playing itself.

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah, XII is massive and felt bigger to me than XV because of how you're actually engaged with most of the environment-- in XV, there's a lot of dead space and not enough points of interest spread out over it. But XII, with its massive "zones" kept things thematically interesting and it felt more like a huge journey across an interesting world compared to XV and its desert/grass areas with telephone poles.

Not really, aside from environment variety I can't see how that can be.

The Dude

It's a jarring mixture of fantasy and reality in its aesthetics. I never could get used to see all the roads sitting right next to all the fantasy landscapes, monsters, and all dem gas stations and markets. Always made the whole experience of the world I was traveling in felt very off to me.

Not to mention the poorly done story and combat. One of the worst game I've played recently. Only thing equalled to it in terribleness was star ocean 5.

Yea, I absolutely think the mixture of fantasy and reality sucks so bad. To fight a behemoth but then see the family truckster drive right by on a main highway, or to see a gas station... Just awful. I mean is just not cool anymore to have a matching natural fantasy world that sticks to one setting?

I never thought we'd see a more hated FF game than 13, yet here we are.

Personally I had a lot of fun with it and enjoyed the personality of the characters and only felt like the game fell apart in the last four or five chapters.

Personally I had a lot of fun with it and enjoyed the personality of the characters and only felt like the game fell apart in the last four or five chapters.

I think it was #6 on gafs favorite 2016 games, xiii was like 20.

Ray Down

Banned

I doubt it is as a whole, may see that way on gaf now due to it being "new", but 13 will go down as worse.

Anyone thinking otherwise is crazy imo.

Top Bottom