• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm surprised we haven't a Nintendo Direct for Mario + Rabbids

I'm not. If you can't trust this guy who can you trust?

DCrUucVXkAEbNbJ.jpg

That T-shirt though

Jakoo

Feels like it's being sent to die. Maybe Ubi/Nintendo expect it to sell without any marketing?

I mean, the sales this game is going to do just from being blindly bought from store shelves based on the cover alone is going to be bonkers. I don't think Nintendo's casual audience was ever in question here coming out for a game of this nature.

I think the enthusiast crowd needed to be sold and I think the previews alone have been enough me to convince me. A direct would be nice but I feel like all of the Switch owners I know have already made a decision one way or another on getting this.

EhoaVash

Hm while this game was super hyped at E3, it feels like all of that just vanished this month of it's release..

Maybe pre orders were low or something but I haven't seen a TV commercial for this game or anything. Saw YouTube ads of it a month ago though.

How do we expect this game to sell btw? Even with Mario it's a very very niche genre.

Not to mention even some Mario fans are turned off due to the rabbids being a main focus

Peltz

Hm while this game was super hyped at E3, it feels like all of that just vanished this month of it's release..

Maybe pre orders were low or something but I haven't seen a TV commercial for this game or anything. Saw YouTube ads of it a month ago though.

How do we expect this game to sell btw? Even with Mario it's a very very niche genre.

Not to mention even some Mario fans are turned off due to the rabbids being a main focus
I'm expecting right around the 1m mark in overall sales. Maybe slightly under.

I see it selling around 3 million

EhoaVash

I see it selling around 3 million

Nah too optimistic

1 million is reaching it. Will pretty much depend a lot on reviews.

Btw I'm also expecting the reviews to be low 80s just a hunch maybe this game is too easy or the story is shallow or something.
Good score but a single player game needs to reach 90+ in order to get attention these days

Instro

Nah too optimistic

Btw I'm also expecting the reviews to be low 80s just a hunch maybe this game is too easy or the story is shallow or something.
Good score but a single player game needs to reach 90+ in order to get attention these days

Less than a million LTD would probably be a major disappointment considering the IP, time spent, and team working on this.

NSESN

Nah too optimistic

Review scores don't matter for Mario games.

Nah too optimistic

There's no world this doesn't reach the million mark.

Nah too optimistic

Nah 1 million is too pessimistic. I'll stick with my 3 million.

Cartho

Nah too optimistic

Like Wolfenstein The New Order?

Steiner

Banned
All I have to say right now is... the Frostbite engine has a bright, bright future on the Nintendo Switch.

Edit: yes I did mean Snowdrop. Thank you all.

UBI could host their own 30 minute stream replicating what a nintendo direct does... but they won't because that's too clever.

EhoaVash

All I have to say right now is... the Frostbite engine has a bright, bright future on the Nintendo Switch.

That's EA lol

You mean Snowdrop..

Anyway I'll stick to my guns and say 1 million for this year, not sure about lifetime ..

Various factors - no TV commercial, it's last day of August kids are going back to school in a week in us at least, and once again the very niche genre.

Even Mario spinoffs sometimes hit low sales like the last Mario & Luigi game. Or paper Mario.

But this is switch where things doesn't make sense so I'm probably way wrong lol

Thraktor

Xcom is a multi-million selling franchise, and Mario+Rabbids should appeal to a much wider audience. I'd be surprised if this does less than 3-4 million lifetime, and I suspect Ubisoft has similar expectations, given the resources they seem to have put into its development.

Are you an insider?

I think he works for/runs a gaming publication so he's probably talking about his review copy. And Snowdrop, not Frostbite.

Xcom is a multi-million selling franchise, and Mario+Rabbids should appeal to a much wider audience. I'd be surprised if this does less than 3-4 million lifetime, and I suspect Ubisoft has similar expectations, given the resources they seem to have put into its development.

The XCOM franchise has always been multiplatform though, and I think in general the audience for strategy games is bigger on PC than other consoles, especially Nintendo consoles. That said, I'm sure this will sell quite well due to its reception at E3 as well as the Mario IP, and also due to Switch software selling incredibly well so far. 3-4 million doesn't seem too high, I agree.

The XCOM franchise has always been multiplatform though, and I think in general the audience for strategy games is bigger on PC than other consoles, especially Nintendo consoles. That said, I'm sure this will sell quite well due to its reception at E3 as well as the Mario IP, and also due to Switch software selling incredibly well so far. 3-4 million doesn't seem too high, I agree.

I assume the Rabbids IP is also pretty popular to younger kids as well. I think a mom going to the store and seeing a game with Mario and Rabbids for their kids will be a pretty compelling case to buy the game.

That is a scenario that I would not see XCOM in, I think it has it's appeal to a certain group of people, but I think the appeal to this game on a broader scale (especially to non-enthusiasts) is going to be huge. Mario + Rabbids will also probably attract some of those XCOM people too, further broadening the appeal.

I assume the Rabbids IP is also pretty popular to younger kids as well. I think a mom going to the store and seeing a game with Mario and Rabbids for their kids will be a pretty compelling case to buy the game.

That is a scenario that I would not see XCOM in, I think it has it's appeal to a certain group of people, but I think the appeal to this game on a broader scale (especially to non-enthusiasts) is going to be huge. Mario + Rabbids will also probably attract some of those XCOM people too, further broadening the appeal.

Yeah it's definitely true that this has a lot of factors going for it, but in general the XCOM strategy RPG genre is fairly niche, and XCOM does well primarily on PC I believe while always being multiplatform to get its millions of sales. I definitely think Mario + Rabbids can do very well too, but I just don't think pointing to XCOM sales will really indicate that when the situations and appeals of the two games are vastly different.

JonnyKong

Here in the UK I'm hoping for an early send out from Shopto, would be nice to be playing it this weekend, but I won't keep my hopes too high.

Ashtar

If you think this game is going to sell less than a million you're on crack
It'll sell better than arms, it's going to do gang busters in Europe.
Rabbids + Mario it's going to be yuge!

duckroll

Yeah it's definitely true that this has a lot of factors going for it, but in general the XCOM strategy RPG genre is fairly niche, and XCOM does well primarily on PC I believe while always being multiplatform to get its millions of sales. I definitely think Mario + Rabbids can do very well too, but I just don't think pointing to XCOM sales will really indicate that when the situations and appeals of the two games are vastly different.

Here's the thing though. It being a strategy game doesn't really hurt it. Kids who are excited to play a new game with Mario characters, Rabbids, or both, are not going to pass on it just because it is a strategy game. On the other hand, older gamers who would otherwise not get yet-another Mario or Rabbid game could be interested BECAUSE it is a strategy game that has good gameplay.

Thraktor

We're talking about a niche audience in a large pool versus a larger audience in a (for now) smaller pool, but I think Mario+Rabbid's potential audience intersects extremely well with Switch's audience. Plus, as duckroll says, it's in the very unusual position of potentially appealing both to kids looking for a cartoony Mario game and adults looking for a more serious strategy experience. We've seen enough thus far to all-but-guarantee it'll appeal to the former (given the excellent visual design and animation), and I'm actually reasonably confident about the latter, although of course it's hard to judge without hearing from anyone who's spent some significant time with the game.

To be honest I think Ubisoft's biggest worry in the short term is how much Switch stock Nintendo manages to get on store shelves by the end of the year. It could do very well in the holiday season, but only so long as people are able to actually get their hands on Switch hardware to play it on.

M-PG71C

I just put in my pre order today on Amazon. I went from "Nah Ill skip" to "Day one hell yeah!" since E3. It looks damn fun and something different despite the Mario IP.

I bet Miyamoto hates this game.
Based on...?

Folks do have all kinds of interesting 'instincts' about Miyamoto, so perhaps a few notes would not be out of place here:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-07-17-the-fanboys-making-the-next-mario-game
Soliani's clear enthusiasm at E3 2014 paid off. Miyamoto was impressed with the game, but doubly impressed with Soliani. "I fell in love with his passion," he says in a behind-the-scenes video.

[Miyamoto: “Davide-san was so incredibly passionate when explaining the idea. I fell in love with his passion, and that was the moment I realized this project could work.”]

The development legend [Miyamoto] then reassured the rest of Nintendo about the project, despite some initial concerns about the use of weapons.

"This was one of the first things internally at Nintendo that they asked themselves about, but Miyamoto-san said that he was totally ok with it, so we can proceed," Soliani explains. "It was a huge moment for me because I was aware it could have been one of the show stoppers. But you can see that this game is very joyful, colourful and humorous."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zH-Rhdj5Wc&t=328s
Miyamoto: [5m28s] When I met Davide-san, I had just one condition for this project: I said, ‘Whatever you do, don’t try to make a jump game, or a Mario platformer, try to make a Mario game that has never been made before.’ And it’s great...

Oersted

Just read a in-depth preview. Was full of praise. Accessible, rewarding, fun, you name it.

Gonna be good I think.

Duffk1ng

... There was a massive preview wave just 2 weeks ago and there's been constant new footage and impressions since E3. Hardly sent to die, it's been getting a big push.

Here's the thing though. It being a strategy game doesn't really hurt it. Kids who are excited to play a new game with Mario characters, Rabbids, or both, are not going to pass on it just because it is a strategy game. On the other hand, older gamers who would otherwise not get yet-another Mario or Rabbid game could be interested BECAUSE it is a strategy game that has good gameplay.

We're talking about a niche audience in a large pool versus a larger audience in a (for now) smaller pool, but I think Mario+Rabbid's potential audience intersects extremely well with Switch's audience. Plus, as duckroll says, it's in the very unusual position of potentially appealing both to kids looking for a cartoony Mario game and adults looking for a more serious strategy experience. We've seen enough thus far to all-but-guarantee it'll appeal to the former (given the excellent visual design and animation), and I'm actually reasonably confident about the latter, although of course it's hard to judge without hearing from anyone who's spent some significant time with the game.

To be honest I think Ubisoft's biggest worry in the short term is how much Switch stock Nintendo manages to get on store shelves by the end of the year. It could do very well in the holiday season, but only so long as people are able to actually get their hands on Switch hardware to play it on.

Ah I see what you guys are saying, and yeah that makes sense. This seems to be a relatively unique game in that respect, since the IP and presentation has the great mass appeal of Mario but the actual gameplay is something that's generally preferred by people outside of that Mario audience. I'm not sure if we've seen something like that before.

But yeah, regardless of who this appeals to it will sell pretty well. Switch install base will be a big factor there but hopefully this will be a fairly leggy title, again as it features Mario.

Just read a in-depth preview. Was full of praise. Accessible, rewarding, fun, you name it.

Gonna be good I think.

Nice, any link to the interview?

Top Bottom