• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of playable Palutena in Smash Bros. 3DS emerge, seem possibly legit

Shun

People have had leaks for Pokemon that have been done similarly.

I've done multiple photo trials with my white 3DS and it doesn't really match up.

I've tested multiple shutter speeds, apertures, ISOs with a few different light sources and things just don't match up from a photography standpoint. If you were to get the photo to fall in sync with the refresh rate, the background would be much darker. There's a lack of bokeh if you were to get the photo to turn up at that exposure, screen glare, etc.

Leaks usually come off a smartphone camera anyway and without the proper apps, it's pretty hard to get it in line with what you want.

If you were to note the lack of HUD and percentages, I guess they relegated that to the touch screen rather than the top screen. If that person thought the same thing, then they would purposely chose not to take a photo of the touch screen because they wouldn't know what it'd look like.

In any case, we can assume unless there are more instances like this it's just an intricate leak. If you were good enough with 3Ds Max modeling and photoshop, it's not impossible to use photos as a reference and rescale and retexture to give it a "Smash 3D" look.

Anustart

DDFx5mw.jpg

Looks legit to me, just makes me wonder if simba is an assist or also playable.

Either that or I found where the background comes from!

FSLink

Banned
The thing is, what are they photoshopping, if there's no other Palutena model like this in any other appearance of hers? Are we to assume someone took the time to make a model of their own?

Wouldn't be the first time, crazier fake things have been made before, this looks relatively simple in comparison due to the lower res models.

I think it's probably real though if you're wondering. I was mostly responding to the the comment about the lighting.

Shun

Even though you can adjust the outlines, the outlines are inconsistent throughout the body model.

If this was legit, someone really must not give a fuck about their job.

I read the first post. Then I looked at my AR cards and that's the same model.

I don't think so, man.
There's differences on the face, the hair, the texture, the staff, the staff length.
That's from what I noticed, and I'm an idiot.
The model is closer to the Brawl trophy, if anything.

Still, I'm starting to think it's just someone that made their own model based on what they saw.
Good stuff anyways.

It's called exaggerating, and I said it because 3 characters from the Kirby universe and 2 from the Kid Icarus are 3 too many.
I guess if you dont like Star Fox or Pokemon you're fucked yeah? Bring on a third Kid Icarus rep for all I care, most interesting characters in a Nintendo game for years.

And I'm not exaggerating.

rekameohs

Banned
why not take a picture in game, hud and all?

fake, but Palutena will be playable I'm sure
Because it would probably be very zoomed out and you wouldn't see much detail on the character (see: that fake Mewtwo in Smash 4 pic a while back). With all the info provided, I'm inclined to believe this one, but I dunno. I agree that she's a shoo-in either way.

why not take a picture in game, hud and all?

fake, but Palutena will be playable I'm sure

I would guess that It's paused with with the prompts for moving the camera on the bottom screen, or the hud is moved to the bottom screen to maximize screen space.

PikaED

Looks like a standard white 3DS to me. It's all about the lighting.

If this is a fake, it's an incredibly well done one. People saying it looks "badly Photoshopped" need to explain themselves because if it's a Photoshop job then it's a really damn good one.
No it is a LL/XL, you can mainly tell by the speaker shape.
ku-xlarge.jpg

Not that this immediately disproves the image, as they may have LL/XL models for testing. It's just pretty unusual.

L~A

ku-xlarge.jpg

Not that this immediately disproves the image, as they may have LL/XL models for testing. It's just pretty unusual.

I seriously doubt an employee of Namco-Bandai would be dumb enough to try and leak something, so I don't think this pic was taken from testing. In my opinion, the only way I could see such a pic being taken in the first place would be if Smash was playable at upcoming event, which would explain why it's on a 3DS XL (and not OG 3DS), though I find nothing strange about that.

Now that I think about it, this might be a facade by Sakurai. I can't remember the last time something from Nintendo leaked. Even if some one did leak something, the Nintendo Ninja's would promptly make those involved with the leak disappear.

PikaED

Now that I think about it, this might be a facade by Sakurai. I can't remember the last time something from Nintendo leaked. Even if some one did leak something, the Nintendo Ninja's would promptly make those involved with the leak disappear.
Stuff is occasionally (but fairly rarely) leaked, a recent example being Fairy type Pokémon.
EDIT:
I can't believe I forgot about f***ing Cranky Kong!
I can't wait to play has him in Tropical Freeze!

Jacobbles

ku-xlarge.jpg

My bad, I meant a white XL. I meant "standard" as in 'not the LE Zelda XL'.

There was a leak of the Dragoon item from Brawl before it was revealed, Lucario and Ness were leaked before release, and just a few months ago Cranky Kong was leaked as the final playable character in Tropical Freeze

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The shot with Mario doesn't look right, as if he's been pasted in. Almost certainly fake.

Anth0ny

Pokemon has legit leaks.

Brawl had legit leaks too, but never off-screen images like this.

Is the AR card you have and the one in the OP the same? I'm curious as to whether there is more than one AR card of Palutena.

I have 2 Palutena cards.

I'm not even going to bother arguing about the model. Find me the backgrounds and the Mario, if you're so sure that "anyone" could do this with released media.

The background is Battlefield. The Mario pose is the regular standing pose Mario has in this game. There's a part of the original trailer where he does that same pose.

CassSept

There was a leak of the Dragoon item from Brawl before it was revealed, Lucario and Ness were leaked before release, and just a few months ago Cranky Kong was leaked as the final playable character in Tropical Freeze

That Ness and Lucario leak was pretty hilarious, so careless and sloppy.

BowieZ

Banned
Can someone explain why Mario and Palutena are standing so close and not looking at each other?

Screams fake, to me...

Platy

HUGE if true.

Also huge if fake, since it would be a god tier fake

Pokemon has legit leaks.

Brawl had legit leaks too, but never off-screen images like this.

To be fair, brawl had SO MUCH fake leaks that there is a chance that the real leak was just lucky =P

Pikma

Banned
I must have missed the part where every playable character had been announced.
Ugh... What's wrong with you? Do my opinions bother you? I wasn't even replying to your comment... Or is that what bothers you?

And I know they haven't but they're not highly likely to appear as anything else other than assist trophies, at least that's what I think

Oswen

If fake, that's a good one.
However i believe Palutena has high chances to be in anyway, a second character for KI is likely considering how recent the last game is.

Ugh... What's wrong with you? Do my opinions bother you? I wasn't even replying to your comment... Or is that what bothers you?

And I know they haven't but they're not highly likely to appear as anything else other than assist trophies, at least that's what I think

Didn't even realise you were the same guy in honesty. Don't take it personal. For the record I'd love either Dillon or Mallo. Dillon seems like a guy they created for Smash Bros then made two mediocre games with him in just so he could be in Smash Bros. He's a cowboy armadillo, what's not to love?

I really wouldn't call the Lucario and Ness "leaks" as they're more of "whoops we put stickers in a trailer that showed these characters". I have no doubt that this could be real, but there's not really a precedent for this kind of leak (as in, an actual photo months before the game releases). The Pokemon leak is like the many Smash leaks in that in is in a crowd of rumors and is only picked out when it's officially revealed. That's pretty much the reason why a lot of the more "believable" rumors for Smash are very conservative to what is being added to the game.

deleted

It looks slightly unfinished - I find it hard to point out, but somehow her model clashes slightly with the style of Mario, which is something that hasn't happened before.

Maybe it's the green in her hair which is slightly muted and makes her model look like it could have been used in Brawl and not 4.

co1onel

Cool if it turns out real, don't really care if it doesn't. Crazy good job if shopped though. This model didn't come from anywhere else, so he would have had to make that himself.

Not

Banned
It looks slightly unfinished - I find it hard to point out, but somehow her model clashes slightly with the style of Mario, which is something that hasn't happened before.

Maybe it's the green in her hair which is slightly muted and makes her model look like it could have been used in Brawl and not 4.

Wellll, the Rosalina model is tall; I'm sure the Palutena model has to be taller than the Pit model too. We've already seen Mario's size in comparison to larger characters. Just waiting on Oni Link to see if he can produce the AR Cards and trailer screenshot, but I'm ready to believe.

Pikma

Banned
Didn't even realise you were the same guy in honesty. Don't take it personal. For the record I'd love either Dillon or Mallo. Dillon seems like a guy they created for Smash Bros then made two mediocre games with him in just so he could be in Smash Bros. He's a cowboy armadillo, what's not to love?
Nope.
I agree on everything else tho.

Just for reference, this is her Brawl model in Pit's final smash and trophy:

Somebody also posted this screenshot, which shows the cliff from Battlefield in the background:
2042837-632937_201306111205_001.jpg

It definitely is not copypaste, I made a comparison shot here:

The angle/viewing position of the rocks is different, the ruins in the foreground are missing, and the further away cliffs are closer to the closest, big cliff.

If this is a fake (and I don't think it is), then it's incredibly elaborate and detailed.

FSLink

Banned
Retailer leaks aren't exactly the same as leaks from some random dude posting pictures on the internet.

I want to believe though.

Pokemon X/Y leaks then? Though most people thought the ones that were real were fake like for Binacle. That was closer to release though.

Don't encourage Sakurai.

"THIS WEEK ON SMASH BROS DOJO: new screenshot for you to ponder if it's real or not. Find out next month!"

Top Bottom