• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressions from the extended 'The Last of Us' demo

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Sounds fricken brilliant. I have longed for a game with such diverse AI, can't believe it finally arrives in a game that takes place in post-civilization and is developed Naughty Dog. It's the dream-game I've been wishing for since reading The Road.

2013 for gaming shall surely be a year to remember (for a vast number of reasons, but this being at the top of my list).

Ricky_R

I'm okay with that. If anything I felt with UC2 and 3 they showed too much and should have been more selective.

Yeap... Me too.

I had no problem with the amount of stuff they showed from Uncharted 2, but 3? I felt I got extremely spoiled with all the footage.

Will make sure it doesn't happen with this game.

GrayFoxPL

He posted his impression in another thread.
whatisaw.jpg

id4nsB7Ve7hgS.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!

AngryMoth

I'm really interested to know how the melee combat system works considering it seemed to be almost all contextual animations in what they showed.

Jijidasu

Must be a great feeling being on the team and seeing such a reaction. Well done!

Trying to avoid a lot of the media but I couldn't help but read those impressions. Really want.

Yep first time i play this game i most likely going to kill everyone .

From what we've seen that doesn't seem like a great strategy. :eek: Combat takes a lot out of you and you hardly have any resources as it is.

I just wanted to echo the statements that the closed door demo was impressive. I was incredibly nervous just watching, the game does a fantastic job building the tension.

I don't get all this zombie hate, I am about as zombie'd out as anyone else (and I have never been fond of them to begin with) but this game is obviously not about that. It's about your relationship with Ellie and the world they live in now. Humans are much more of a danger than any 'zombies' from what we've seen of the game so far. We certainly didn't see any in the demo.

Replicant

Ugh, is it too late to cut the zombies out of this game?

If by 'zombies' you mean the mushroom people, fuck no! I like them. In fact, I like to see more of them than the usual thug enemies. It'd get boring fighting humans every time in the game. It'll be Uncharted all over again.

Ugh, is it too late to cut the zombies out of this game?

the zombies are just plot device to make the setting more dangerous, without the threat of infected, group of people can easily survive and live in peace there because even when they don't have electricity, the nature still thrives, they can easily hunt animal for food, start growing farm etc.

threat of infected is what make these people live in fear therefore driving them to do some inhumane stuff.

I'm really interested to know how the melee combat system works considering it seemed to be almost all contextual animations in what they showed.

This is what I want to know. There were no button prompts besides for picking up a weapon and ammo.
I still need to know what is gameplay and what is an in game cutscene.

Man

(From the lead designer interview) Ellie will gain abilities over the course of the game that Joel teaches her. Her value as a 'tool' increases. Sounds great.

Wow, those uncharted clone comments seem way off the mark now, huh? Guess some crow eating is in order.

Not that I wasnt a believer.

This is what I want to know. There were no button prompts besides for picking up a weapon and ammo.

well, I don't know what the melee combat will be like, but I think it's probably not anything deep or your traditional beat em up like yakuza, batman or anything. probably closer to Uncharted combat, but with more dramatic animation. I mean you can kinda see the input button just by watching the combat. square for punch, triangle for counter, circle is probably for grab, with further option to knock out the guy, or take them hostage.

First is E3, second is the new one.

At around 8:06 they show the face/head shot.
I keep flip-flopping on what unsettled me more. This shotgun blast, or that section from Watch Dogs where it prompts the player to rescue the bystander, and when he pulls him out of the car you can see the dead lady at the wheel (a result from the player's action).

(From the lead designer interview) Ellie will gain abilities over the course of the game that Joel teaches her. Her value as a 'tool' increases. Sounds great.

Joel will be teaching Ellie how to shoot according to one of the concept art.

AngryMoth

well, I don't know what the melee combat will be like, but I think it's probably not anything deep or your traditional beat em up like yakuza, batman or anything. probably closer to Uncharted combat, but with more dramatic animation. I mean you can kinda see the input button just by watching the combat. square for punch, triangle for counter, circle is probably for grab, with further option to knock out the guy, or take them hostage.
Yeah, I'd be okay with an expand version of uncharted combat with a lot more contextual animations. The one thing I just really don't want to see it button prompts.

Nome

I keep flip-flopping on what unsettled me more. This shotgun blast, or that section from Watch Dogs where it prompts the player to rescue the bystander, and when he pulls him out of the car you can see the dead lady at the wheel (a result from the player's action).

I actually laughed at the Watch Dogs part for the exact reason you mentioned (it was his fault in the first place... why bother "saving" him?)

I'm getting the same vibe from The Last of Us that I do when watching a really awesome show. Just wanna see more!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Holy. Fuck.

Game of the generation for me, calling it now. This is like the perfect video game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

And by the end of the game she has learned all of Joel's abilities, and Joel dies.

The Last of Us.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I wasn't impressed with this game at first, and it still feels like a very creatively safe product to me, but hearing about how AI-driven the design is has warmed me to it a little.

Creatively safe? wtf does that even mean?

KTallguy

Banned
I saw it. It was amazing. They made a really hard thing look so easy. The game is beautiful.

I was especially impressed with Ellie and how she moved around and reacted. Also I was impressed with how many options they present you, and the way everything felt very organic.

Honestly there isn't much new I can say, people have covered it. It was just a lot of wow.

Man

Someone else mentioned this but the best thing about the buddy A.I is that there is seemingly no visible switch between free wandering A.I and 'scripted motions' in Ellie? They flow perfectly together? Pretty much every A.I buddy game (including Uncharted) has this problem but not the Last of Us apparently.

For those who saw it in person, does this seem to be the case? That's a huge thing if so.

Man

and in the sequel you play as older ellie protecting a new child until she dies too at the end of the sequel.
Joel forces himself on Ellie in the end. She get preggers and in-turn he becomes the games final encounter which you need to kill off to escape.

Man

Hey Naughty Dog!

If you make a non-kill run or just kill-off minimum amount of hostiles then the player needs to be awarded with a 'Carrying the Fire' trophy! Do it!

Ricky_R

Would we able to not shoot the guy in the end of the playthrough? Would he still beg for his life and run away if we decide to hesitate?

I hope this game has no trophies, I don't want those things popping up killing the immersion. And this is from someone who has, I think, 20 platinums, level 15, and an admitted trophy whore.

Cerberus

That was Bruce on stage? :O

Even though I found Uncharted 3 to be disappointing, I was immediately hyped for The Last of Us because of Straley.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I hope this game has no trophies, I don't want those things popping up killing the immersion. And this is from someone who has, I think, 20 platinums, level 15, and an admitted trophy whore.
No chance in hell it has no trophies.

Top Bottom