• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressions from the extended 'The Last of Us' demo

GorillaJu

For all the complaints and knee jerk reactions about how tired zombie games are or how much it looks like Uncharted, TLOU looks like a very unique game.

Replicant

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. But if there is a sequel, I'd like it to focus on different sets of survivors. Keep the setting and timeline the same but show different survivors. That way we'll get new stories and new interactions.

Striek

I'm really impressed with how in just one generation Naughty Dog went from being a Nintendo Wannabee studio hardly worth of producing 2nd string Nintendo games to one of the top studios in the industry.

This is way, way underselling the quality of Crash and Jak.

Man

I'm really impressed with how in just one generation Naughty Dog went from being a Nintendo Wannabee studio hardly worth of producing 2nd string Nintendo games to one of the top studios in the industry.
Jak & Daxter > Any 3D mario game in the PS2 era.
Original Crash Bandicoot Series, each title sold heaps (6+ million per title).
And they have *always* been in the very forefront in technology on their respective platform.
The tech behind both those franchises are absolutely legendary (from their inhouse Goal LISP language to no-texturized Assembly Vertex PSOne magic).

This is way, way underselling the quality of Crash and Jak.

No it isn't.

Jak & Daxter > Any 3D mario game in the PS2 era.

Yes all one of them which was hailed as the worst in the series. And was hardly even a Mario game.

Original Crash Bandicoot Series, each title sold heaps (6+ million per title).

And? Modern Warfare and the old Mortal Kombat games are crap and sold a lot. Whats the point?

And they have *always* been in the very forefront in technology on their respective platform.

You can't seriously think that Jak and Crash Bandicoot entries were the most advanced games on the platforms during their times. MAYBE Crash 1. MAYBE. But other than that?

The tech behind both those franchises are absolutely legendary (from their inhouse Goal LISP language to no-texturized Assembly Vertex PSOne magic).

Thats one low standard for "legendary". They weren't even the best looking Sony games technically nor close to it.

They should just make this the boxart. Or a character in PS Battle Royale. Amazing.
7163671261_1e93b43cb3_z.jpg

Some one please Photoshop Translator-san behind him!

TLoU won Destructoid's GotS

Show attendees never stopped talking about this game. Naughty Dog's post-apocalyptic setting, gritty survival story, and the relationship between its two main characters, Joel and Ellie, have already made their way into the minds of gamers everywhere. This cross-country trip across a post-pandemic America looks to go far beyond their already excellent Uncharted series in both setting and gameplay, and we can't wait to see more of it.

http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-s-e3-2012-game-of-the-show-the-last-of-us-229107.phtml

You can't seriously think that Jak and Crash Bandicoot entries were the most advanced games on the platforms during their times. MAYBE Crash 1. MAYBE. But other than that?it.
They are definitely technically advanced. The crazy stuff nd managed to pull with the jak series on the ps2...They used every part of that console, even the ps1 parts to make a totally seamless world with no load times and a totally stable framerate.

I feel like picking up the Jak games now since I kinda ignored them back in the day without knowing the developers pedigree. Now ND is one of my favourite devs around so I'm almost guaranteed to like them.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
They are definitely technically advanced. The crazy stuff nd managed to pull with the jak series on the ps2...They used every part of that console, even the ps1 parts to make a totally seamless world with no load times and a totally stable framerate.

I remember reading about Jak, and its tech back in the day. I think I may have even played the demo, but was distracted by Xbox games at the time.

Kind of want to play the HD collection..

I only played Jak 3 and had an amazing time with it, was really fun and took me by surprise since it was just an impulse buy when it was on sale, and i didn't know what to expect.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I've seen that gameplay demo five times already. There are so many minor details there that people can easily miss. For example, Ellie picking up a brick to help Joel later, and the way Joel wears his backpack again after creating a Molotov. Too bad about being a 2013 release though, would have been awesome to play it this year.

They are the only company who can deliver cinematic gameplay.

The rest just copies stuff and fails to do it in the right way.

But these guys... damn, they are unique.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Naughty Dog continues to embarrass all other developers in quality and quantity.

I'd much rather believe they are inspiring other developers to try and make more unique games. It is really telling how the game that is receiving so much buzz and even acknowledgement from other developers, is a game that was designed to be unique, unlike anything else, and push the current tech to its limits.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
My main issue with this game is that(based off the E3 showing) it comes off as very violent. Is this in an attempt for realism?

I was expecting more survival elements and not just another shootout. Or for instance when Joel held a hostage and had the gun pointed at his head and the other enemy told him to let the guy go. So Joel just used him as shieldbait to kill his friend and then cracked the hostages skull in.

Right after he smashes a dudes head across a desk and sets a guy on fire and at the end doesn't spare any mercy to the guy who begged for his life and just pulls the trigger. Basically, I'm wondering if there is even a spare lives option cause it'd make for much more interesting play. Much like how Mirror's Edge had an achievement for not killing anyone in the game. I'm also wondering if there is a way to make AI non-hostile. Or is everyone bad and I have to smash their face in?

I will say I am glad that impressions show different events occurring and that the game is not as linear or scripted as it seems.

I always thought that AI behavior was limited based on hardware horsepower.

But looking at what TLoU seems to be doing on 256mb of RAM I'm beginning to wonder whether it has been more limited by will/talent/hard work than anything.

This game became a must-own for me a LONG time ago, and these presentations just make it that much more so.
Basically, I'm wondering if there is even a spare lives option cause it'd make for much more interesting play. Much like how Mirror's Edge had an achievement for not killing anyone in the game. I'm also wondering if there is a way to make AI non-hostile. Or is everyone bad and I have to smash their face in?

I will say am glad that impressions show different events occurring and that the game is not as linear or scripted as it seems.

Considering the emphasis they seem to be placing on giving the player choice, I'm guessing there has to be some type of mercy option.

B.O.O.M

And to think people thought they were full of it when they said they want to change the f#&@ industry..or something like that

Please other devs, use this as (among other games like Dishonored) for inspiration.

iratA

You know the more I think about it, the more happy I am about the 2013 date. If any game deserves the extra dev time its this. The AI scripting must be a huge task to get right for any given level. I'm hugely excited about the promise being made here though and if anyone can pull this off successfully for the duration of a 10+ hour game its ND.

They've put it out there now though. Gamers and critics a like are going to be analysing the crap out of both enemy AI and Ellie's, come launch. It sounds good so far but they better use this time wisely to nail it. Its going to need to be play tested to hell and back before it goes gold. Shoot me a message if you need a hand guys, I'd be happy to lend a hand. Serious.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So....You guys know one of these 2 has to die at the end of the game right?
Ellie kills Joel because the player made him violent.

Alternatively, Joel kills Ellie because he's a murderous psychopath.

Btw, I'm kidding.
Considering the emphasis they seem to be placing on giving the player choice, I'm guessing there has to be some type of mercy option.
Well here's hoping.

GloveSlap

I really really want this game even though I don't have a PS3...might have to pick one up. Funny how the Uncharted games were the ones that tempted me in the past, Naughty Dog is a real asset for Sony.

So....You guys know one of these 2 has to die at the end of the game right?

I imagine Ellie will kill Joel because he gets infected. The ballsiest ending would be Joel kills Ellie because she gets infected, especially as it seems he lost his daughter. I'm not sure the video game world could cope with that though.

I've had a lot of fun with Naughty Dog games in the past and the feedback on TLOU, so far, is fantastic.

I enjoyed the character banter in the Uncharted games - feeling it did a lot to build a sense of personality and relationship to/between the characters. It made them a little less one-dimensional without interfering with gameplay.

TLOU sounds like Naughty Dog are going a bit more serious but it's the characterisation that is whetting my appetite the most. I guess stuff like graphics and animation are a given.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My main issue with this game is that(based off the E3 showing) it comes off as very violent. Is this in an attempt for realism?

I was expecting more survival elements and not just another shootout. Or for instance when Joel held a hostage and had the gun pointed at his head and the other enemy told him to let the guy go. So Joel just used him as shieldbait to kill his friend and then cracked the hostages skull in.

Right after he smashes a dudes head across a desk and sets a guy on fire and at the end doesn't spare any mercy to the guy who begged for his life and just pulls the trigger. Basically, I'm wondering if there is even a spare lives option cause it'd make for much more interesting play. Much like how Mirror's Edge had an achievement for not killing anyone in the game. I'm also wondering if there is a way to make AI non-hostile. Or is everyone bad and I have to smash their face in?

I will say I am glad that impressions show different events occurring and that the game is not as linear or scripted as it seems.

Partly I think it was skews for the E3 presentation, especially considering the impressions from longer demos in the OP. but if the world is really as screwed as it is (and it looks like it has been for several years), then Joel will have experienced bad things and he'll know that mercy and compassion is something you don't dish out without knowing its justified. Most groups of scavengers like in the demo will probably kill him, rape Ellie and kill her and take all their belongings without a second thought.

Kinyou

I wonder if there will be a scene where an enemy tries to force himself on Ellie. I mean, like it or not, but the issue of rape always seems to come up in apocalyptic settings. Be it more openly like in "The Stand" or very subtle like in "The Road"

I also wonder if people will be similar upset like they are about Tomb Raider.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I wonder if there will be a scene where an enemy tries to force himself on Ellie. I mean, like it or not, but the issue of rape always seems to come up in apocalyptic settings. Be it more openly like in "The Stand" or very subtle like in "The Road"

I also wonder if people will be similar upset like they are about Tomb Raider.

The Last of Us will shy away from that I think. When you read The Road, it paints a very realistic picture, and realistically what would happen in the real world if civilization fell would be far from pretty. TLoU will be a gritty game, but it is still going to sugar coat the hell out it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Nintendo wouldn't make a game with characters like Jak & Daxter, the games in general are pretty far away from what Nintendo would do if you look at their output

Fjordson

All sounds really, really good. I want them to take all the time they need, but I hope this isn't too deep into 2013. I need to play this!

Kinyou

The Last of Us will shy away from that I think. When you read The Road, it paints a very realistic picture, and realistically what would happen in the real world if civilization fell would be far from pretty. TLoU will be a gritty game, but it is still going to sugar coat the hell out it.
Could be, now that you mention it, I remember them saying that it's supposed to be a world still "worth living in." I guess a trauma doesn't really fit into that.

Man

The Road the book spoilers:
One of the worst scenes is the father/son observing some people roasting a newborn. This after having seen the pregnant woman tagging alongside two men a day or so earlier.

Game of Thrones (the HBO show) as well shy away from the most horrible stuff in the books.

twofold

I wish they had shown some of this stuff during the E3 press conference instead of the corridor shooter that we saw instead. These previews make the game sound way more interesting than what was shown off. Definitely interested in this now.

Is there any footage of the more stealth take on the e3 demo level?

I found the e3 demo to be pretty scripted and oddly boring.

What this guy said. I really want to see this footage.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Naughty Dogs. As disappointed I was with Uncharted 3, Uncharted 2 remains the best single AND multiplayer game I've played these last 5 years. I won't sell my PS3 until I've played The Last of Us. Game of the show AFAIC.

SteveWD40

I agree, in the world of The Road the most humane thing to do would be kill Ellie then yourself once you start the game, so bleak.

Top Bottom