• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 - New extended gameplay from Naughty Dog

Draugoth

Gold Member

7 minutes of uncut gameplay from The Last of Us Part I featuring Joel, Ellie, and Bill. Experience the classic story, rebuilt with modernized gameplay and visuals. The Last of Us Part I is coming to PlayStation 5 September 2, 2022. In development for PC.

Skifi28

Edit: Ok, my bad, video works.

Looks how I remember the game, until I go back and compare. The gore was also pretty sweet and the corpse cut in half gnawing at your leg must be new, can't remember seeing it in the original.

Last edited:

Ellery

Edit: Ok, my bad, video works.

Looks how I remember the game, until I go back and compare. The gore was also pretty sweet and the corpse cut in half gnawing at your leg must be new, can't remember seeing it in the original.

Yeah the good old Super Mario 64 effect where I swear it looks like a photorealistic game closely matching real life

anthony2690

Banned
Yeah the good old Super Mario 64 effect where I swear it looks like a photorealistic game closely matching real life
Man, Mario 64 never looked photorealistic aha.

I genuinely thought Mario 64 looked bad back then compared to other games visually. (Granted I had played stuff like virtua fighter 2, Daytona USA & Sega Rally prior)

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'm really glad I'll be able to play this on PC, but is it silly that I also feel disappointed I can't play the original version on PC, since it's the game I fell in love with on PS3? (though I'd naturally want the PS4 remastered visuals)

Azurro

Banned
It looks much, much better than before, but I have no desire to buy this. I think Naughty Dog's activism in their games have soured me way too much to ever play anything they come up with again.

Hugare

Dafuq is seamless clicker frenzy?
If I'm not mistaken, Clickers used to go on a rampage for some time and then stop. Like, a small rush.

In Part II they stay on that state for longer. So that's what he is probably trying to say.

EDIT: Yeah, same old 2013 animations. Goddamnit, Naughty Dog.

They added Motion Matching but didnt change animations, so whats the point? Will still look janky for a 2022 release

Last edited:

tommib

I’m actually less impressed with the full gameplay than with the screenshots and snipets we got before. It doesn’t look insane as Part 2 indeed or maybe I’m just used to this level of fidelity? The cutscenes look MUCH better than the gameplay.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If I'm not mistaken, Clickers used to go on a rampage for some time and then stop. Like, a small rush.

In Part II they stay on that state for longer. So that's what he is probably trying to say.

EDIT: Yeah, same old 2013 animations. Goddamnit, Naughty Dog.

They added Motion Matching but didnt change animations, so whats the point? Will still look janky for a 2022 release
That's a hell of a marketing name for such a small thing.

I guess i'm also ready for the new turbo-accelerated gap closer power brick throw

Paasei

Will probably play it again on PC for mouse aiming. Can’t think of any reason to get this, again. Also needs price drop.

Hugare

I guess i'm also ready for the new turbo-accelerated gap closer power brick throw

Only new animation I've seen so far of more than 1h of footage that I've watched

Motion Matching works by choosing from a bucket full of animations what animation would be better suited after the one that you are seeing right now, blending them together, making them look fluid

If you dont put a lot of new animations inside the bucket, you get this: more fluid, 2013 animations. But still 2013 animations.

A far cry from Part II excellent animations

This is bullshit lol

Combat animation for Joel is exactly the same, both using guns or melee

Same for the infected. Now they can craw with their torso, but apart from that, same old attack animations

This will all be proven after release when ElAnalistadeBits or some other channels compare both games

Last edited:

GymWolf

Only new animation I've seen so far of more than 1h of footage that I've watched

Motion Matching works by choosing from a bucket full of animations what animation would be better suited after the one that you are seeing right now, blending them together, making them look fluid

If you dont put a lot of new animations inside the bucket, you get this: more fluid, 2013 animations. But still 2013 animations.

Pretty much yeah.

Tbh the most curious thing for me is the improved ia, tlou2 was good but still super easy to exploit on grounded, i really want to see how much they lied about this, nd had always been sketchy with ia promises since tlou reveal.

Hugare

Pretty much yeah.

Tbh the most curious thing for me is the improved ia, tlou2 was good but still super easy to exploit on grounded, i really want to see how much they lied about this, nd had always been sketchy with ia promises since tlou reveal.
Unfortunatelly, from what I've seen, It's the same old for enemies.

So a huge downgrade compared to the excellent AI in Part II

Enemies dont shout each others names, dont throw smoke grenades at you ...

They flank you, but they already used to.

What seems improved on this front is AI path tracing.

And that's pretty much it. Same thing being applied to the companions AI, which will be an improvement I hope. No more Ellie getting in your way and etc.

Last edited:

This is bullshit lol

Combat animation for Joel is exactly the same, both using guns or melee

Same for the infected. Now they can craw with their torso, but apart from that, same old attack animations

This will all be proven after release when ElAnalistadeBits or some other channels compare both games

No, the animations are clearly better dude

Relique

Watching this didn't make me any more or less excited to play this. Between this and the other promotional stuff they've put out there the visual face lift is undeniable. With that being said when compared side to side with the remaster there are times where I preferred the old version, like the scene with Ellie in the arcade room. I also think the new models aged everyone quite a bit so that feels out of place to me but I am sure I will get over it after playing for a bit.

I am glad the AI is better and the crawling infected are pretty cool. However, to me it looks like they are overselling the animation improvements. I can definitely tell the transition between animations is more fluid but the animations themselves are mostly the same. From the punching, to the weapon melee, to the enemy attacks.

As someone who transitioned to PC I will be glad to get this. I will be waiting for a deep discount though because I am not seeing anything that is blowing me away and it hasn't been that long since I played the remaster on PS4.

GymWolf

They flank you, but they already used to. What seems improved on this front is AI path tracing.

And that's pretty much it. Same thing being applied to the companions AI, which will be an improvement I hope. No more Ellie getting in your way and etc.
Name calling and strategy calling was mostly some nice smoke and mirrors, if you think about it, that doesn't make their ia one single bit more capable, but it let you think that they are smarter than what they really are, but they are both inside the remake i think, so if you liked that i have good news.
Fear did the exact same thing if not more advanced 15 years ago so not even something new.

Yeah you call a name and give away your research strategy (that actually make my work easier) but you are still a suicidal idiot with no self-preservation, hurra!

People always think of gimmicks as good ia, like enemies in zelda botw losing their weapon and giving their back at you to recover it, not sure how that is smart and not just funny retardation but ok.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Me on Friday once I get a little taste

shaq.gif

GymWolf

I am glad the AI is better and the crawling infected are pretty cool. However, to me it looks like they are overselling the animation improvements. I can definitely tell the transition between animations is more fluid but the animations themselves are mostly the same. From the punching, to the weapon melee, to the enemy attacks.

As someone who transitioned to PC I will be glad to get this. I will be waiting for a deep discount though because I am not seeing anything that is blowing me away and it hasn't been that long since I played the remaster on PS4.
Fuck i'm too old, when i was young people only transitioned into a woman or man...

Last edited:

tommib

The only thing i can say after reading most of your comments is y'all need glasses.

Go and replay the original please. I feel like the way you guys remember that 2013 is way better than it actually is currently.
Of course it looks much more better but after the extended gameplay demo I just don’t get that “shit is insane” feeing I get with Demon’s Souls, Ratchet or Returnal with the particle orgy.

Maybe it’s the time of the day of the demo. The indoor sequence looked better than the outdoor. I pre-ordered it anyway. I’m just not as excited now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont know. I am not seeing any of the new player animations from Part 2. Abby's punching animations and takedown animations are fucking sick, and there is something new you see every time. I saw all of these animations in part 1.

The ND dev says Joel's locomotion was recaptured but the way he walks, runs and especially crouches is still identical to what he does in the PS3. You guys need to go play TLOU2 again to see how much more fluid Abby feels when shes doing those things.

6IzAAd9.gif

This video's second half shows just how incredible her punches and takedowns flow between her running and crouching animations. Im just not seeing that here.

I’m actually less impressed with the full gameplay than with the screenshots and snipets we got before. It doesn’t look insane as Part 2 indeed or maybe I’m just used to this level of fidelity? The cutscenes look MUCH better than the gameplay.
The orange hue dusk setting in Pittsburgh and Bills Town is simply off. Game looks much better and on par with TLOU2 in other lighting conditions. See the ellie gif above.

TLOU2 shines in overcast conditions during Seattle Day 2 and Day 3 of Ellie's campaigns and Day 3 of Abby's campaign. Even the start of Day 1 with Ellie has a way better midday lighting that they shouldve picked for Bill's Town and Pittsburgh levels.

the-last-of-us-part2-the-last-of-us.gif

baa3a47c32c3b4e48a9a2bd7df208028.gif

ChiefDada

Gold Member

They flank you, but they already used to.

What seems improved on this front is AI path tracing.

GymWolf

Of course it looks much more better but after the extended gameplay demo I just don’t get that “shit is insane” feeing I get with Demon’s Souls, Ratchet or Returnal with the particle orgy.

Maybe it’s the time of the day of the demo. The indoor sequence looked better than the outdoor. I pre-ordered it anyway. I’m just not as excited now.
It's because it looks extremely close to tlou2 during gameplay, really not a mistery.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Bluepoint added new walking and running animations, new takedown animations as well as updating transitions between attacks to make them feel smoother. What ND seems to have done here from dev quotes is that they have improved the transitions between the animations but the animations themselves have been borrowed from TLOU1 instead of TLOU2. This could be because Ellie and Abby are girls and ND probably couldnt reuse their animations without having Joel look like a fucking idiot, but the fact that TLOU2 AI is in, TLOU2 gore is in, and other enemy animations are in but no Joel animation upgrades makes me think that could be the reason. Like Hugare Hugare said, they added motion matching but kept the original 2013 animations. It might have better transitions but those are very hard to notice when you are still working with older animations.

GymWolf

Bluepoint added new walking and running animations, new takedown animations as well as updating transitions between attacks to make them feel smoother. What ND seems to have done here from dev quotes is that they have improved the transitions between the animations but the animations themselves have been borrowed from TLOU1 instead of TLOU2. This could be because Ellie and Abby are girls and ND probably couldnt reuse their animations without having Joel look like a fucking idiot, but the fact that TLOU2 AI is in, TLOU2 gore is in, and other enemy animations are in but no Joel animation upgrades makes me think that could be the reason. Like Hugare Hugare said, they added motion matching but kept the original 2013 animations. It might have better transitions but those are very hard to notice when you are still working with older animations.
I mean abby fight with the grace of a drunk rugby player, not sure how hard would be to translate her animations into a tank like joel...or you know, creating new animations in this full priced game.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

I love the last of us but that is preposterous.

He actually moved his head in to the brick. If the guy had just stood still he’d be fine. The combat is so good in these games but it’s highly unrealistic obviously. Still amazing but it’s so funny people saying it’s “grounded” etc. it is in a way, but it’s also highly ridiculous at times.

My resolve is stronger than ever. I platinumed the remaster so have no need to play this game again. I am happy for everyone who will enjoy this but for me it’s just not worth any more than £10 to me. I’ll play it in 5 years maybe when it’s on PS Plus.

Last edited:
Top Bottom