• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Improve your Wireless Network thread! (Wireless Tech Heads wanted)

rc213

MiamiWesker said:
Is the linksys WRT100 any good. Sounds good and has a good price...

Go with the Linksys WRT54GL (For 3rd party Firmware lovin) or the D-Link DIR-655 (For Standard Firmware lovin).

Smokey

I can't find the DGL - 4300 in stores, but I did find this at Circuit City:

EC.DLK.DGL4500.JPG

It's the DGL-4500. It says it's built for gaming and looks fucking sweet, I'm tired of wires running through my apartment. It says it's Wireless N, but is backwards compatible with A/b/g networks.

yay or nay?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Get it Smokey!!

Anyway, I DMZed my Wii, just in case. Maybe that will help with some of the minor input lag issues. BTW, WRT54G, normal firmware.

DMczaf

I got a Netgear WNDR3300 and it constantly loses wireless connection to my PS3 and my sister's laptop.

I'm going to return it today, I'm wondering if the DIR-655 has any problems with wireless connection loss? I was going to get the DIR-655, but I saw the WNDR3300 on sale that week :(

Threi

notag
SixStringPsycho said:
Where should i put the ports? on the Start tag or the end tag? and should I change the ip address?
If it is one port, you put it in both the start and end tag. (eg. 18907-18907). If it is a range, well you put the range :)

Smokey

I bought that D-link that I mentioned a few posts up.

It was $179.99. 0_0

I'm trying to locate a used 360 wireless adapter and won't be able to get one until Wed. In the meantime I decided to setup my PS3 + Wii wirelessly on my Netgear router, and everything is connected. Fucking Wii browser actually surprised me at how fast it was. So I'm debating returning this D-Link router. I know it's supposed to be top of the line, but it's 200 hundred fucking dollars.

Also this is unrelated to gaming but I'd figure I'd ask since we have some wireless savy people around. When I connect my laptop wireless on my network and try and DL something it tops out at 230 KB/sec. It'll go lower and bounce around just like anything else but it never goes higher than 230 whereas when I used wired I get in the 600ish range? What's the problem? It's been doing this for awhile can anyone help?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Smokey Bones said:

It was $179.99. 0_0

I'm trying to locate a used 360 wireless adapter and won't be able to get one until Wed. In the meantime I decided to setup my PS3 + Wii wirelessly on my Netgear router, and everything is connected. Fucking Wii browser actually surprised me at how fast it was. So I'm debating returning this D-Link router. I know it's supposed to be top of the line, but it's 200 hundred fucking dollars.

Also this is unrelated to gaming but I'd figure I'd ask since we have some wireless savy people around. When I connect my laptop wireless on my network and try and DL something it tops out at 230 KB/sec. It'll go lower and bounce around just like anything else but it never goes higher than 230 whereas when I used wired I get in the 600ish range? What's the problem? It's been doing this for awhile can anyone help?

Don't expect the same performance! It depends on how far you are. Also, there must be some weird setting somewhere. Try updating the firmware for it, check around your laptop and router settings.

I can get 500KBS with my laptop when I am 7 feet away, but when I go downstairs the speed can drop a LOT. Try messing around with the antennas as well. ANd... THAT'S ONE FUCKING EXPENSIVE ROUTER (return it :lol )

OH! And don't buy the overpriced Xbox wireless thing. Buy a Wireless Bridge, it connects to the Xbox LAN, and the console identifies it as a wired connection. MUCH cheaper.

I would not recommend DD-WRT for kinds of users that these kinds of threads will typically bring. Flashing your firmware is already risky if you don't know exactly what you're doing but the DD-WRT site is woefully disorganized in terms of matching routers with their respective firmwares.

If your router is compatible with Tomato, it's a better alternative.

Those of you with spare routers should also be aware that most wireless routers can be used as wireless access points. There are settings within the router itself that will typically allow you to choose from "Router" or "Wireless Access Point" (Which will essentially turn your router into a conduit by which you can catch wireless signals for your Xbox 360/PS3).

Threi

notag
Smokey Bones said:

It was $179.99. 0_0

I don't really share my Wireless experiences because i will get blasted on GAF (and a large portion of the internet as well) because I am completely satisfied with a $40 router. I have a WBR-2310 and it works fine for me (I have said this several times).

Wireless download speeds are always a little worse than Wired.

Birbo

Don't know if it's an option for some, but I have to give props to the Slinglink powerline adapter for my wireless network.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...glink&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1179876185243

I have a wireless router in my den in the basement. My 360 in the next room is connected via wireless adapter and I have no issues playing games or streaming media. I was looking for something for my Xbox running XBMC in the upstairs bedroom and came across this. It works like a dream. Streams from my computer faster than the 360 does. A great product.

Notes for the OP:
- Your section on MAC address filtering says to connect all the devices you want, then copy the MAC addresses to be _excluded_ (should be _included_ -- excluding them will have the exact reverse effect of what is desired).
- You say "port forwarding" when you're talking about opening ports. These are not the same thing. I really doubt that you need port forwarding for most gaming--it's usually only necessary when you run a server.
- Opening ports is really not a good idea, and shouldn't be necessary if you have the right router. To me it makes no sense to insist on WPA security, but then open a bunch of ports--this means people can't hijack your wireless, but can attack you from thousands of miles away using a net connection. I have had several routers and have been able to play lots of Wii, PS2, and Xbox 1 games online without opening any ports. Of course YMMV, since I haven't tested this with PS3 or 360.

Here's a link to Steve Gibson's "Shields Up!" program, which can scan your IP and tell you what ports are open.
http://www.grc.com/default.htm (scroll down for shields up)

- In my experience, the GWL-G820 runs very hot and is somewhat unreliable. It works, but it doesn't work great.
- broadbandreports.com has some nice testing tools to help you see what your upstream and downstream bandwidth from your ISP is.

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff, and check back in this thread.

Threi

notag
Colonel Nelson said:
Notes for the OP:
- Your section on MAC address filtering says to connect all the devices you want, then copy the MAC addresses to be _excluded_ (should be _included_ -- excluding them will have the exact reverse effect of what is desired).
- You say "port forwarding" when you're talking about opening ports. These are not the same thing. I really doubt that you need port forwarding for most gaming--it's usually only necessary when you run a server.
- Opening ports is really not a good idea, and shouldn't be necessary if you have the right router. To me it makes no sense to insist on WPA security, but then open a bunch of ports--this means people can't hijack your wireless, but can attack you from thousands of miles away using a net connection. I have had several routers and have been able to play lots of Wii, PS2, and Xbox 1 games online without opening any ports. Of course YMMV, since I haven't tested this with PS3 or 360.

Here's a link to Steve Gibson's "Shields Up!" program, which can scan your IP and tell you what ports are open.
http://www.grc.com/default.htm (scroll down for shields up)

- In my experience, the GWL-G820 runs very hot and is somewhat unreliable. It works, but it doesn't work great.
- broadbandreports.com has some nice testing tools to help you see what your upstream and downstream bandwidth from your ISP is.

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff, and check back in this thread.
<3

will add to OP, thanks.

on that note i have never needed to open any ports either, but not everyone has the same router ya know.

*edit again*

I don't insist on any particular form of security in the OP, but i am just showing the options people have. WPA is a good "set it and forget it" type of security for most people, and it will stay included. :p

Threi said:
*edit again*

I don't insist on any particular form of security in the OP, but i am just showing the options people have. WPA is a good "set it and forget it" type of security for most people, and it will stay included. :p

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that WPA wasn't a good idea. It is absolutely the way to go, and should be recommended in the OP. I just meant to say that it is inconsistent to recommend opening ports, which noticeably decreases security. WPA + all ports in stealth mode FTW.

Broseybrose

i love this thread as this topic has always been somewhat of a mystery for me... even though i set up a home network for our 2 pc's about 2 years ago. we use a linksys WRT54G v6 and weve never had any problems... im the only gamer in the house, so the router is in my room and my pc is hard wired to it. the other pc uses a netgear wireless adapter.

Google

Right, guys...

I'm sure I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway.

I have a very cheap ($20 via Dell) wireless router which I've got hooked up to my PC, 360, PS3 and TIVO all via wired connections.

All these seem to work fine, although I do get the occassional bubble if I'm torrenting, TiVoing, downloading from the PS3 and 360 at the same time, but it's not a huge deal...

Anyway, I live in a tiny apartment, like, 600SQFT (I love Vancouver...) and for whatever reason, my laptop gets garbage reception when I'm in my bedroom. Its literally 20 feet away, through a single wall, and I get extremely slow speeds...

Is this down to the garbage, cheap as shit router? Is it simply a case of upgrading, or do I need to actually do some stuff?

Google said:
Anyway, I live in a tiny apartment, like, 600SQFT (I love Vancouver...) and for whatever reason, my laptop gets garbage reception when I'm in my bedroom. Its literally 20 feet away, through a single wall, and I get extremely slow speeds...

Is this down to the garbage, cheap as shit router? Is it simply a case of upgrading, or do I need to actually do some stuff?

It probably has to do with what's in your wall. If you read the fine print on home networking stuff, they typically only claim to support line-of-sight. Another possibility is interference from other networks, cordless phones, etc. in your apartment building. I have had this problem, and the best you can do is move around the router to see if it gets any better, or try changing the channel used for the wireless signal.

If you feel comfortable using custom firmware, you can probably significantly boost the signal strength from the router, but I don't recommend this kind of hacking unless you know what you're doing.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Where is the custom firmware love of DD-WRT!

DD-WRT might be complicated for some but ala Tomato, your still flashing your router.

Google

Colonel Nelson said:
It probably has to do with what's in your wall. If you read the fine print on home networking stuff, they typically only claim to support line-of-sight. Another possibility is interference from other networks, cordless phones, etc. in your apartment building. I have had this problem, and the best you can do is move around the router to see if it gets any better, or try changing the channel used for the wireless signal.

If you feel comfortable using custom firmware, you can probably significantly boost the signal strength from the router, but I don't recommend this kind of hacking unless you know what you're doing.

Is there an easy (albeit expensive) solution in just upgrading the router to like...a rangebooster or something?

Christine

Google said:
Is there an easy (albeit expensive) solution in just upgrading the router to like...a rangebooster or something?

You might try this thing that Holepunch linked:

Holepunch said:
Second, it seems no one is trying the ludicrous solutions, so that's me to bring it up.:D Anyone check out the Windsurfer Free Antenna? It's business card and tinfoil that sits upon your router antenna and focuses the wave in one direction.

Here's the finished product here.

And here's the template

g35twinturbo said:
Where is the custom firmware love of DD-WRT!

DD-WRT might be complicated for some but ala Tomato, your still flashing your router.

Unlike DD-WRT, the Tomato site is easy to navigate. The DD-WRT site has a ridiculously disorganized and unintuitive.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Anyone have anything tips for Apple routers?

I have both an Extreme and an Express. Extreme runs only at the 5Ghz N band, so as to never be slowed down by BC connections, with the Express picking up all B/G 2.4 Ghz traffic.

vag 2.0

I wouldn't recommend the WRT54GS; the PSP outright doesn't like it with WPA/WPA2 enabled and the PS3 is problematic, needing to be ran in the DMZ with uPNP turned off.

Smokey

Relix said:
Don't expect the same performance! It depends on how far you are. Also, there must be some weird setting somewhere. Try updating the firmware for it, check around your laptop and router settings.

I can get 500KBS with my laptop when I am 7 feet away, but when I go downstairs the speed can drop a LOT. Try messing around with the antennas as well. ANd... THAT'S ONE FUCKING EXPENSIVE ROUTER (return it :lol )

OH! And don't buy the overpriced Xbox wireless thing. Buy a Wireless Bridge, it connects to the Xbox LAN, and the console identifies it as a wired connection. MUCH cheaper.

I dl'd the latest firmware for my netgear last night and still did same deal. I live in an apartment and my TV is against the wall, my room is right on the other side and the router is right there.

I haven't decided on the D-Link if I'm going to take it back or not. But I was reading up on it and it sounds fucking nuts and it should for $200 fucking U.S. dollars.

vag 2.0 said:
I wouldn't recommend the WRT54GS; the PSP outright doesn't like it with WPA/WPA2 enabled and the PS3 is problematic, needing to be ran in the DMZ with uPNP turned off.

What firmware are you running? Linksys firmware is notoriously awful.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
vag 2.0 said:
latest linksys unfortunately... this is too new a wrt54gs to get dd-wrt or anything else on, I think
Don't focus on the current firmware rev. when looking to update to custom firmware. What model revision is it? On the bottom of your product, you should see a Linksys label with the model number on it. Right after the model number, you'll see the hardware rev. That's what you want to look for. What hardware rev do you have?

Also, here's the wiki entry for the WRT54G series of routers. It's interesting/depressing to see some of the changes that the series has been through over time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

Colonel Nelson said:
I just meant to say that it is inconsistent to recommend opening ports, which noticeably decreases security. WPA + all ports in stealth mode FTW.

As described in the OP, we are opening ports for a particular private IP address (i.e. your game console.) Are you saying that it decreases security for the console at the specified private IP, or that it decreases security for the entire network? If it is the former, then who cares, consoles have very little chance of being compromised by an attacker. If it's the latter, how so?

Dr. Zoidberg said:
As described in the OP, we are opening ports for a particular private IP address (i.e. your game console.) Are you saying that it decreases security for the console at the specified private IP, or that it decreases security for the entire network? If it is the former, then who cares, consoles have very little chance of being compromised by an attacker. If it's the latter, how so?

It totally depends on what level of paranoia you operate on, but I agree that it's not really a big deal to open ports to a console--to my knowledge this does not open the rest of your network to attack. But I do prefer the peace of mind of not having anything show up on a port scanner. Also, the way it's phrased in the OP makes it sound like it should be the default practice. Maybe some games, or combinations of consoles+routers require it, but in my experience I can play every Wii/PS2/Xbox 1 title I own with all my ports in stealth mode. If that section were prefaced with something like "if you experience problems, try this:", rather than implying that opening ports somehow improved your network, then I would totally agree.

Colonel Nelson said:
in my experience I can play every Wii/PS2/Xbox 1 title I own with all my ports in stealth mode. If that section were prefaced with something like "if you experience problems, try this:", rather than implying that opening ports somehow improved your network, then I would totally agree.

I never had to open any ports for PS2 or Xbox1 either, but things have changed a little with the new generation of consoles. I had to open ports to the PS3 for offsite remote-play via PSP to function, and if I didn't open ports for Halo 3 on 360, I was greeted with annoying nag-messages about my NAT status and matchmaking took a good bit longer to complete. I agree that it's not ideal to open ports or place private IPs in DMZ but some things on PS360 certainly seem to work better that way.

Threi

notag
Update:
Go into your Wii's settings and go to Internet. Find the connection you are using and change the settings on the DNS page by selecting No -> advanced settings.

Put in the following DNS:

Save, test and check for updates. You should notice a difference.

I tried this, and it has been giving me problems (the Wii would randomly drop wireless connections, wouldn't connect properly when dropped, a LOT slower download speeds, etc.)

It may have been because i have my Wii on DMZ but for now it works better with the Wii getting the DNS automatically.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I never had to open any ports for PS2 or Xbox1 either, but things have changed a little with the new generation of consoles. I had to open ports to the PS3 for offsite remote-play via PSP to function, and if I didn't open ports for Halo 3 on 360, I was greeted with annoying nag-messages about my NAT status and matchmaking took a good bit longer to complete. I agree that it's not ideal to open ports or place private IPs in DMZ but some things on PS360 certainly seem to work better that way.

Well, thanks for dropping the knowledge on me. It's disappointing to hear that the next-gen consoles are taking steps backwards with regard to this stuff. Remote play makes sense, though.

Smokey

I dunno what I did but my Netgear router that I've had for over a year is running extremely well using wireless for my consoles. I haven't needed to change any ports or anything.

I played hours of NBA2K8 and Halo 3 online yesterday and never got dropped or anything. Felt like I was using a wired connection. So this $200 D-Link gaming router is heading back to Circuit City tomorrow.

Nabs

my linksys wrt54g seems to be working but i can't get online with it. the lights all work, the panel works, and i can see the ssid from my wii. i can't get online via wii or wired connection. it's been working just fine, but i swear comcast did some shit to my computer :lol i ran the desktop doctor the other night (my net was down) and it hasn't worked since.

i also upgraded the firmware a week ago.

not sure what to do now.

Threi

notag
Smokey Bones said:
I dunno what I did but my Netgear router that I've had for over a year is running extremely well using wireless for my consoles. I haven't needed to change any ports or anything.

I played hours of NBA2K8 and Halo 3 online yesterday and never got dropped or anything. Felt like I was using a wired connection. So this $200 D-Link gaming router is heading back to Circuit City tomorrow.

Well that is my experience as well. Cheap routers aren't as bad as people say, they just need to play with settings a little.

Hopefully this thread encourages people to play with their routers a little :D

Nabs said:
my linksys wrt54g seems to be working but i can't get online with it. the lights all work, the panel works, and i can see the ssid from my wii. i can't get online via wii or wired connection. it's been working just fine, but i swear comcast did some shit to my computer :lol i ran the desktop doctor the other night (my net was down) and it hasn't worked since.

i also upgraded the firmware a week ago.

not sure what to do now.
Can you get online with a PC?

Nabs

Oh man, I really think this is all Comcasts fault. Shit. I'm going to call them up right now.

edit: blah. the chat with comcast didn't help any. i'm reading through their forums now.

On two occasions, Comcast has had to send a reset signal to my modem to reestablish service. This signal both times (about two months apart) has fried my Linksys Broadband Hub/Router. All the lights on the router show up, but no signal gets through. Hooking a computer directly to the modem works just fine; just not when going through the router.

As I said, this has happened twice, again just a day or two ago. I'm getting a little tired or replacing $50 routers.

Is there a different brand of router that is not susceptible to this problem, or a surge protector that works to keep the model signal from overwhelming the router?

This sounds like my problem, but I don't know if my router is fried. I'm going to see if I can find some more info.

edit 2: IT WORKS... RANDOMLY. WTF. =\

Vyer

Hmm. I have a WRT54G (one of the earlier models) but it's always worked 'fine'. Occasional problems in online games with some people, particularly through Live, but overall it's always 'worked'.

However because of that I've never bothered to check on a firmware upgrade. This thread is making me wonder if I should do that, or stick with the old " if it ain't broke..."

Threi

notag
Vyer said:
Hmm. I have a WRT54G (one of the earlier models) but it's always worked 'fine'. Occasional problems in online games with some people, particularly through Live, but overall it's always 'worked'.

However because of that I've never bothered to check on a firmware upgrade. This thread is making me wonder if I should do that, or stick with the old " if it ain't broke..."
If you don't have any problems with your current firmware then you don't really have to upgrade it.

Personally though, I upgrade the firmware of every new device i get :p

Threi

notag
nataku said:
Does PSP really support WPA2? I only see WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA-PSK (AES) listed on my PSP.
I should probably change that in the OP. I am not even sure if the Wii supports WPA2 either. :lol

I think WPA-PSK(AES) is WPA2 btw.

Ledsen

I have a problem with my Nintendo Wi-Fi USB dongle and my Netgear WGR614 wireless router. What I want to do is use the router for my computer and 360, and the dongle for my Wii to avoid having to downgrade router security (or can the Wii handle WPA2? It didn't work when I tried). The problem is, when I activate the dongle and try to connect with my Wii, my internet connection just dies :( When I remove the dongle I automatically reconnect. What's going on here?

edit: I tried turning router security off, and the Wii connects without any problems, but like I said I want to connect my Wii through the dongle and not the router.

sspeedy

Cold-Steel said:
BTW I know I'll get some flamebait this way for saying this, but I (honestly) believe that the Linksys WRT54G is the greatest router known to man.

Especially, with DD-WRT firmware. :D

Really? because I'm sick of my piece of shit wrt43g router. Ever since this lady told me to update my firmware, which I did on the phone with her, when I connect to the stupid thing wirelessly with my laptop, it disconnects me every few min's, i.e. 3 min's or so.

Now, I fi nally got my PS3 online and am trying to download these demos... half an hour later:
Burnout 14% downloading, Condemned 2 Paused, Heavenly Sword Paused. Slow as fuck.

I'll have to read this thread in some detail, just stepped into the realm of taking consoles online. Piece of shit!
Any other ones recommended? Please?!

Top Bottom