• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Improve your Wireless Network thread! (Wireless Tech Heads wanted)

sun-drop

hey just an update, those of you with Netgears wireless router/modem DG834G - there's an issue with psp remote play.

if you have the ps3 in the DMZ, then remote start will work the 1st time, but after you shut the ps3 down via psp ..you wont be able to connect to the ps3 again, you'll get time outs.

the fix is simply taking your ps3 out of the DMZ, and instead setting up all the aproprate PSN and remoteplay port forwarding rules. check the ps3 documentation for what those are ..there's about 6 or 5 rules i think.

Threi

notag
sspeedy said:
I'll have to read this thread in some detail, just stepped into the realm of taking consoles online. Piece of shit!
Any other ones recommended? Please?!
Well what is your budget?

sspeedy

Threi said:
Well what is your budget?

meh, Nothing too ridiculously out there. I'm hesitant to go over a $100 for a router.

I think I made a firmware update after which the stupid thing stopped working like it should. Wonder how I can rollback and see what the current firmware version is?

Threi

notag
*thread bump*

I am now in the same boat as you, my WBR-2310 is starting to screw up on me (no hardware/software added/removed). It kinda pisses me off considering that the thing was working solid as a rock, and then BAM it starts freaking out. Anyways I found a couple routers, and instead of making a new thread i will bump this one for possible impressions:

Netgear RangeMax WPN824 802.11g Wireless Router

Netgear WGR613 Wireless Cable/ DSL 54Mbps Router, 802.11B/G

ASUS Wireless Router WL-520GU 125M Broad Range EZ Wireless Router

ASUS Wireless Router WL-520GC 125M Broad Range EZ Wireless Router

Belkin Wireless G Router (F5D7230-4) - 802.11g, Wi-Fi 802.11b, 4-port 10/100Base-T

Diablos

If you find yourself getting kicked off all the time, another thing I would suggest is that you disable the Windows Wireless Zero config. If you have, say, a Netgear wireless adapter with its own software, use that, and disable Zero:

In XP Pro, go to start > run and type services.msc.
Double click on "wireless configuration", and click stop.
For "startup type", select disabled.

May be different in XP Home, not sure. As for Vista, I have no idea, someone else will have to post that.

This helped me. My wireless signal kept dying, now it's much less frequent.

Maggot9

Banned
Diablos said:
If you find yourself getting kicked off all the time, another thing I would suggest is that you disable the Windows Wireless Zero config. If you have, say, a Netgear wireless adapter with its own software, use that, and disable Zero:

In XP Pro, go to start > run and type services.msc.
Double click on "wireless configuration", and click stop.
For "startup type", select disabled.

May be different in XP Home, not sure. As for Vista, I have no idea, someone else will have to post that.

This helped me. My wireless signal kept dying, now it's much less frequent.
I get kicked off PSN more than I'd like to, even sometimes just sitting on the XMB or playing a single player game. I just did the above steps, hopefully it helps a bit. Thanks.

Threi

notag
thanks for the input guys >_>

anyways i think im going to get the ASUS WL-520GU, as it seems cheap, a reasonably fast internal CPU/Ram/Flash Memory, print server, and is compatible with DD-WRT.

dreadfulwater

aka morbidesque
DKo5 said:
If you need to network up multiple consoles wireless I'd highly recommend grabbing two Tomato capable routers and running a wireless bridge. I'm currently running Tomato v1.14 on a WRT54GS and a WRT54GL with WPA2. http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

This allows a very strong wireless connection to my entertainment center where my consoles/HTPC can have a wired connection to the router. Whenever I've tried to use wireless adapters/dongles down there the signal has been crap. For reference I've been able to stream 1080p WMV to my living room with this method, but could barely pass normal 480p content when using a normal wireless bridge on my 360.

I also have a WRT54GS, and my 360 hooked up wirelessly. I can stream standard resolution content to my TV, but high def is for shit. now it could be because my PC is only a P4 3.4 with 1.5 Gb ram, but Im pretty sure I can play high def movies locally on the machine. so If I added a bridge I could increase my bandwidth?

Threi

notag
*bump*

Some experiences with the WL-520GU:

1. Range is INSANE. Including this router, i have had five wireless routers (including WRT54G ), and this one kills all of em. The range is really incredible.

2. Everything else seems to be decent. No slowdowns, ping seems ok, it seems to be solid (however the WBR-2310 was solid as a rock and then just died so i am still cautious).

However, for the insane range this router gives it's going in the recommended routers section of the OP :D

*edit* I decided not to install DD-WRT. I don't really think the improvements are really all that worth it. The Asus firmware works good enough :)

Need some help with my router. It's a Linksys WRT54GS. my consoles stopped getting signals from it, so I tried figuring it out. Nothing has worked yet, and whenever I plug it in all the LED turn on except for power.

Threi

notag
And to explain my point i will bump this thread again:

I decided "why not" and went and installed DD-WRT.

I can't seem to get Tomato working properly (It doesn't assign my PC a DHCP address at all) but i will try again tomorrow seeing as flashing this router via the ASUS utility seems pretty foolproof.

DD-WRT works immediately.

Ariexv

So Using Tomato firmware I can't get the router to give me a DNS =\ Any help? or a SS of your settings in the router to see if I set something up wrong?

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
D-LINK FTMFBBW. BB= Bare Back

I had a netgear, then a linksys in my wireless "environ" and everything bitched at me all the time, even getting tivo to talk to my laptop was a pita.

I got a D-Link and never looked back. Ever since then it's been hand in hand ring around the rosie with sunshine, butterflies and rainbows. Honestly, i never even have to set anything. Anytime i get any new network gabby piece of tech, my router invites it in....

I don't know what the difference would be b/t them all and i don't care, but i am SO glad that i ended up on a d-link. A guy at work was asking me about his network and i asked him what he had, soon as i heard netgear i told him d-link. He hasn't asked me since.

D-LINK where's my $$$$.

Threi said:
And to explain my point i will bump this thread again:

I decided "why not" and went and installed DD-WRT.

I can't seem to get Tomato working properly (It doesn't assign my PC a DHCP address at all) but i will try again tomorrow seeing as flashing this router via the ASUS utility seems pretty foolproof.

DD-WRT works immediately.
Since I'm assuming you are talking about the WL-520gU router you purchased, did DD-WRT offer any noticeable improvements in speed and range? I'm looking at purchasing that router, and was wondering if installing DD-WRT will be worth my time.

Threi

notag
edible_candle said:
Since I'm assuming you are talking about the WL-520gU router you purchased, did DD-WRT offer any noticeable improvements in speed and range? I'm looking at purchasing that router, and was wondering if installing DD-WRT will be worth my time.
So far it has been about the same. Range and Speed seem to be unchanged.

I now cannot configure settings via wireless anymore, only wired. =\

The GUI is a hell of a lot prettier though :)

overall though i would say DD-WRT is not worth the effort.

kurahadol

When opening ports with tomato firmware, if I put the gateway as the IP will it keep the ports open for every IP or do I need to put the actual IP for it to open the ports?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
A question to anyone who knows, but after you set up the router, does it have to be on 24-7?
Like when I'm not playing online on my systems, will unplugging/turning off the router be o.k. or would i have to set everything back again when I plug it back in?

Threi

notag
kurahadol said:
When opening ports with tomato firmware, if I put the gateway as the IP will it keep the ports open for every IP or do I need to put the actual IP for it to open the ports?
I haven't used Tomato firmware, but when opening ports you need the specific computer's IP on the network. The router assigns each computer one, so you can check what yours is by opening a command prompt (run > "cmd") and typing "ipconfig"

The ip should be 192.168.1.x where x can be anything from 2-255 IIRC.

FTWer said:
question to anyone who knows, but after you set up the router, does it have to be on 24-7?
Like when I'm not playing online on my systems, will unplugging/turning off the router be o.k. or would i have to set everything back again when I plug it back in?
The settings are saved, but you don't really need to keep it off.

But yeah if you want to plug it out you are fine.

Threi

notag
Finally got Tomato working (I was using the wrong firmware - i needed 1.21ND)

Some thoughts:

- Unnecessary graphs
- Performance is roughly the same as both DD-WRT and the stock ASUS firmware
- The GUI is EXCELLENT. Very professional (well, minus all the graphs).
- Going between pages is the GUI is much quicker than DD-WRT, but this is pretty much a non-issue. Who cares about page access speed? Its a "set and forget" thing.

Having used both of the major custom firmwares, i believe, for everyday use, they are pretty unnecessary. Only if you NEED some specific expanded features.

Eiji

Let me get this straight. If I am using two routers to connect each other wirelessly, router 1 being the one connected to the ADSL and router 2 being used as a wireless access point extension for router 1 with Xbox 360 connected to it wired, I can use WPA2 right or will the 360 not see router 2 with WPA2 enabled?

BTW, router 2 is a WRT54GL v1.1.

I don't know if this exactly ties to this thread, but I figure this is the best place to ask:

Is there any way to expand/improve the range of the wireless signal being broadcast by your router?

I have Verizon DSL, and it's being broadcast through my house with the wireless router that comes with it (Westell Versalink 327w). I can't run cable through the house, so we use the wireless G network it generates. The signal is weak upstairs where my computers and consoles are, though...so it'd be great if there was a way to increase the signal or expand it/the number of devices broadcasting it.

Guy Legend

captmcblack said:
I don't know if this exactly ties to this thread, but I figure this is the best place to ask:

Is there any way to expand/improve the range of the wireless signal being broadcast by your router?

I have Verizon DSL, and it's being broadcast through my house with the wireless router that comes with it (Westell Versalink 327w). I can't run cable through the house, so we use the wireless G network it generates. The signal is weak upstairs where my computers and consoles are, though...so it'd be great if there was a way to increase the signal or expand it/the number of devices broadcasting it.

Flash the router with dd-wrt.

Pancakes R Us said:
I use an app called CoconutWIFI on OSX that lets me see which wireless channels my neighbours are using for their networks. I sometimes get interference and check out what they're using, then switch over to another. I'm sure there are lots of apps like this for Windows.

I didn't look through the thread in full, so I'm not sure if something like this has been posted already :D

Did someone post a Windows app similar to this in the thread (anything other than 'Shields up')?

Threi

notag
Eiji said:
Let me get this straight. If I am using two routers to connect each other wirelessly, router 1 being the one connected to the ADSL and router 2 being used as a wireless access point extension for router 1 with Xbox 360 connected to it wired, I can use WPA2 right or will the 360 not see router 2 with WPA2 enabled?

BTW, router 2 is a WRT54GL v1.1.

If i understand you correctly you want to use router 2 as a wireless bride for the 360. If that is the case the 360 will only see the network as wired, no wireless.

So you are fine (if you have it working properly) :)

Guy Legend said:
Flash the router with dd-wrt.

The Westell Versalink 327w isn't supported :(

Are there any other ways I can improve or expand the range/power of my wireless network?

Also, what exactly does an access point do? Would that help me here?

Yeah, so I think i'll finally take the plunge into N when this drops in price:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00127UWV2/ref=nosim/7240353-20

(That is if itisn't dicontinued as its been rumored).

The great hing about this router is that apparently you can assign Dual SSIDs, so you can essentially run two network signals. What this means is that I can run a regular network with normal WPA or WPA2 encryption for my PC, laptops and Wii and a second WEP encrypted network exclusively for my DS. All I would have to do is hide the WEP encrypted SSID name.

clav

Planning to upgrade a WRT54G V6 with DD-WRT micro at the house I'm staying in this year for college (flying to Chicago today). Wish me luck.

http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5_CFE#h9

My friend has been complaining that the WRT54G with VxWorks crashes every couple of days and needs a power cycle. DD-WRT should never crash, right?

I recently upgraded my old router (Microsoft MN-500, which worked great. Never crashed) to a WRT54GL (WPA2 AES) running Tomato. Works great!

Azure J

OK guys, I'm a complete wireless newbie with a bit on an insane problem on my hands. Someone recently decided that it would be a great idea to completely reset my Linksys WRT54G V6 and thus kill my wireless connection. I've tried without much luck to go in and re-enable everything. The thing is, whenever I plug my DSL modem into the router (after fixing/enhancing everything on the router's software end) thinking it should work and internet should be up all throughout the house/room again, I get no luck. Funny part is if I plug the DSL line straight from the modem to my computer, I get no problems at all. That's how I'm online right now. The light on said router that says "Internet" glows incidating it is receiving the information (interwebz) from the DSL modem, but whenever I try to get online with my laptop or Wii, there's no indication of any internet activity on either.

Can anyone help me? I'll post more info if this is too vague, but a walkthrough of sorts would be GREATLY appreciated. I need to get back online to my laggy Smash Bros. afterall. :lol

nny

Threi said:
anyways i think im going to get the ASUS WL-520GU, as it seems cheap, a reasonably fast internal CPU/Ram/Flash Memory, print server, and is compatible with DD-WRT.

I've been thinking about getting this router too, from your feedback it seems a good choice; I've checked the box at a store and the connection to the modem is through an ethernet port; the ADSL modem I currently own connects to the PC through USB; does this mean I can't use it with the router, or can I connect the modem to the pc and then the pc to the router? Should I try to get a modem that connects through ethernet? As you probably can tell I'm not too savvy when it comes to networks, any help would be appreciated.

Threi

notag
nny said:
I've been thinking about getting this router too, from your feedback it seems a good choice; I've checked the box at a store and the connection to the modem is through an ethernet port; the ADSL modem I currently own connects to the PC through USB; does this mean I can't use it with the router, or can I connect the modem to the pc and then the pc to the router? Should I try to get a modem that connects through ethernet? As you probably can tell I'm not too savvy when it comes to networks, any help would be appreciated.
Most modems should have a USB and Ethernet connection - your modem is really USB only?

nny

Threi said:
Most modems should have a USB and Ethernet connection - your modem is really USB only?

yep, it only has a connection to plug in the phone line and an USB for the computer...it's a bit old, maybe that's why ^^

neight

Banned
Call your ISP they should be able to hook you up with a different modem that has ethernet. If they don't they suck.

Dirtbag

Can someone explain to me what MTU is, and why I had to raise its value to work with live.
Out of the blue I started getting horrible xbox live performance and when I ran the connection test (on the 360), it failed on MTU.

I found a quick fix on the web, and just raised the number up to its max... but what actually is this and was cranking it to its highest setting the best idea? Also, why would my MTU suddenly change on it's own? My network was running fine for months, and this popped up completely out of the blue.

(running a Linksys wireless-G router)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Reporting for the main post,

I also use an Actiontec router for my Verizon DSL, no problems with Xbox Live / Xbox 360.

(maybe it's a fios problem for the guy that reported it?)

DJ Sl4m

Another great networking idea for anyone with a PS2, Xbox, Xbox360, PC, Printer or maybe a combo of any of them.

Instead of buying a wireless receiver for each a great option (which is what I use) is to take a wireless router and flash it with the Linux firmware here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/ and turn it into a wireless bridge so that it receives a wireless transmission from a wireless router then can have each console connected to it as a wireless receiver for each one without having to buy multiple receivers or run tons of Ethernet cord.

It's simple and saves a LOT of money.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

Enjoy :)

Schrade

AzureJericho said:
OK guys, I'm a complete wireless newbie with a bit on an insane problem on my hands. Someone recently decided that it would be a great idea to completely reset my Linksys WRT54G V6 and thus kill my wireless connection. I've tried without much luck to go in and re-enable everything. The thing is, whenever I plug my DSL modem into the router (after fixing/enhancing everything on the router's software end) thinking it should work and internet should be up all throughout the house/room again, I get no luck. Funny part is if I plug the DSL line straight from the modem to my computer, I get no problems at all. That's how I'm online right now. The light on said router that says "Internet" glows incidating it is receiving the information (interwebz) from the DSL modem, but whenever I try to get online with my laptop or Wii, there's no indication of any internet activity on either.

Can anyone help me? I'll post more info if this is too vague, but a walkthrough of sorts would be GREATLY appreciated. I need to get back online to my laggy Smash Bros. afterall. :lol
I dunno if DSL modems act the same way as Cable modems do but the companies sometimes set them so that you can only have one MAC/IP address assigned in the device at one time. So this means your computer's MAC address is being remembered in the modem and when you plug your router into it, the modem goes "Nope, already have one address in here. No worky for you!"

The way to get around this is to power off the modem for about 10 or more minutes and make sure it's hooked up to the router. Then turn the modem on then turn the router on. The modem may then be able to get its MAC address in there instead of the computer's.

Threi

notag
more impressions on the custom firmware:

Tomato is quick, but i really fail to see what the big need is for custom firmware (unless you are flashing it to use it as a bridge). Performance is pretty much the exact same as the stock Asus OEM firmware. Range is the same, latency is the same, it only has different GUI's and more graphs.

Sciz

Alright GAF, I need your expert advice.

--picture edited out--

This is a rough diagram of my house. The screen on my laptop is dying out, so I've bought a new monitor to use in its stead. However, there's only one available place to set it up, which doesn't exactly have line-of-sight with the router, a standard Linksys WRT54G v5. Currently I can barely pick up the signal, but it's horrendously unstable and nearly unusable even when it does connect. The laptop doesn't have any sort of antenna and uses 802.11g, though I plan (hope) to build a proper desktop in the coming months, since the screen isn't the only component that's failing. Moving the router isn't an option. Also, there aren't any other networks in the neighborhood, at least that I've ever picked up.

What, then, will it take to get a stable and essentially full speed signal?

EekTheKat

Sciz said:

This is a rough diagram of my house. The screen on my laptop is dying out, so I've bought a new monitor to use in its stead. However, there's only one available place to set it up, which doesn't exactly have line-of-sight with the router, a standard Linksys WRT54G v5. Currently I can barely pick up the signal, but it's horrendously unstable and nearly unusable even when it does connect. The laptop doesn't have any sort of antenna and uses 802.11g, though I plan (hope) to build a proper desktop in the coming months, since the screen isn't the only component that's failing. Moving the router isn't an option. Also, there aren't any other networks in the neighborhood, at least that I've ever picked up.

What I wound up using in a scenario somewhat similar to this was a Power over Ethernet solution + a bridge/access point at the other end of the PoE connection. The AP is configured as a separate wifi access point and covers one area while the router covers another.

It's somewhat expensive to do so though (a pair of PoE devices cost like $150 bucks, the bridge/AP I'm using costs like $100 as well) but now I get coverage pretty much everywhere.

In my case, nothing I tried worked well for a stable connection, so I went to the most expensive solution possible :lol

YMMV though, I'm just sharing what I eventually wound up doing. There are probably some other alternatives you can try (new antenna, or stuff like that) that would be significantly less expensive.

What I wound up using specifically was :

Linksys PLK200 (a kit that came with 2 adapters)
D-Link DAP-1522 (configured as a separate access point, hooked up to the DGL-4500 through the PLK200 kit)
D-Link DGL-4500 (this is my router)

Javaman

Sciz said:

Can you run the Ethernet cable from your DSL/Cable modem under the house and back up into a more central room? If that wouldn't work, maybe there's a directional antenna you can buy or a way to angle the antenna/s to get a better signal.

Top Bottom