• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

I think when I played all of them, I was too young to care to finish games. This actually happened with a few other games like Kingdom Hearts as well. I'd get to the end, I'd try to take on the final boss or the areas leading to the final boss, find out I was underleveled or that I just sucked at games and quit.

I have a little more perseverance now though lol.
You never got the endings to kingdom hearts games either!? O orthodoxy...it's time bruh the endings for these two series are always top notch and an emotional ride that comes to a close...get to it

tonka

I really don't think the PSX versions of V or VI are that bad...

Never played the NES era games, but first things first, I don't have the new game yet

of the ones I have played, they all have their irks and redeeming factors, but all in all IX is best (and I wish certain small things about the PC version were better)

Can't wait for XII remaster as I've never played with the Zodiac Jobs

Lynx_7

I think when I played all of them, I was too young to care to finish games. This actually happened with a few other games like Kingdom Hearts as well. I'd get to the end, I'd try to take on the final boss or the areas leading to the final boss, find out I was underleveled or that I just sucked at games and quit.

I have a little more perseverance now though lol.

I was the same. I'd usually play games up to a certain point and then drop them when it got too tough, or I'd restart fresh from the beginning (and get stuck at the same part). Can't remember if the first time I managed to beat an RPG (with walkthroughs) was Chrono Trigger or Mario RPG, but it felt like a monumental accomplishment back then. Like, "wow... I spent like 20 hours trying to beat this game. That's CRAZY!" lol

X was the first FF game I finished.
Braska's Last Aeon
kicked my ass a fair amount of times.

Is World of Final Fantasy any good? I liked the demo but decided to save my money and wait for FFXV instead.

Yes, its absolutely worth playing.

This is awesome! Here's my mainline list:

Beat: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 14, 15
Played but never beat: 3, 5, 12, 13
Never touched: 8, 11

I've got some work to do next year...

If they announce an 8 remaster you should really check it out, its an awesome game.

jb1234

I and II are the only ones I haven't beat (and LR, I suppose but I'm not bothering with that one) so I'm working on them at the moment, starting with I. Unfortunately, I picked the horribly easy PSP version and it's mostly just been a boring slog. For II, I'll definitely go with the PSX version.

Is World of Final Fantasy any good? I liked the demo but decided to save my money and wait for FFXV instead.

I hated the three hours I played but I have an extremely low tolerance for anime tropes these days (and characters behaving like dumbasses). Battles were also far too easy.

FLD

This might be just the excuse I need to finally play through my backlog of FF games on Steam! I keep buying them but I haven't actually played any of them since XIII-2...

First, there's Lightning Return that I really need to get around to playing. I also probably should take the time this year to finally play IV and IX all the way through, since I never actually finished either of them. Replays of VI and X are tempting but I'll consider those low priority for now.

Oh and there's also Type-0, I guess but meh. I played the first 5 hours or so when it came out and I wasn't really impressed.

wtd2009

Just started xiii-2 and I'm really digging it so far, battle system is much better.

Can't wait to see what SE has planned. Are they doing a single event or is it going to be a year long steady trickle of cool things ND announcements?

Ultratech

Oh man, it's that time again!

Not sure what I'll play through this upcoming year, but here's a short list:
-FFXIII-2: I've had this for a while, so why not?
-FFVII, VIII, or IX: Probably leaning more towards IX. Haven't played that one in about a decade.
-Final Fantasy Tactics: I've still got the original PSX game, and I've been itching to play through it again one of these days.
-FFX/X-2: Haven't played the remastered versions, so I dunno if I'll grab those and play through them or not. Haven't played through X-2 at all, which would be interesting.

(Maybe I'll actually upload my completed FF3 PSP playthrough from way back when.)

I did that long, in-depth playthrough of FF3 Famicom for the last thread, so right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do a repeat performance, or put the spotlight on FF2 instead. FF2 needs people to understand why it's cool. :(

Maybe both

Do FF2!

Or both works too. I like 'em both!

jb1234

I did that long, in-depth playthrough of FF3 Famicom for the last thread, so right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do a repeat performance, or put the spotlight on FF2 instead. FF2 needs people to understand why it's cool. :(

Maybe both

Your savage playthrough of FF4 remains a highlight, haha. I still love the game but won't deny it has serious story and character flaws.

Maniel

Banned
I've played and beat I-X including X-2.
Played but never finished XI.
Never played XII, XIII trilogy, XIV and XV.

I'm getting XV very soon, but I'm not sure if I'll play it until it gets some more patches. In the meantime I will probably give XIV a shot.

JC Lately

Ah, yeah, subbed like a Mofo. Been looking for an excuse to replay FF VIII, the secret second best entry. Hoping fore a discount when the Winter Steam sale hits, then mod the fuck out of it.

Any one tried playing it with the steam controller via steam link? Worried about lag fucking up my gunblade trigger pulls.

Crazy follow up question: does the steam version of FF IX still have the two player mode? Had blast playing with my wife back when it first came out.

Ooh I like this thread! I've been trying to beat all FF games and this might just do it for me.

I've already beat (will not replay except for 9): 1, 2, 4, 9, 13 (14)

Plan to play this year: 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13-2, 13-3, 15 (maybe 10-2 and 4 the after years if I feel like it)

god what a huge list I wonder if I'll be able to manage it with my playthrough of the DQ series...

Also I need some help:

I was playing the PC/DS version of 3 a few days ago and I was really surprised by how ugly and kinda unpolished it was, I was honestly expecting FFIV DS quality. And I've been hearing a lot that the NES version is really good. Should I just jump to that then? Is there a good fan translation of it?

Also for 5 and 6, I was planning on picking them on PS3 PS1 classics... are those no good? Do 5 suffer the same loading problems as 6? (i don't really mind to be honest if that's the only problem... unless I underestimating it)

DSix

Banned
Gonna start FF1 today.
I think I will try the NES version first for historic value and go as far as possible in it, then eventually switch to the PSX or PSP remake if necessary.

StereoVsn

I am working on finishing FFXV and loving the game. I pretty much played all FF except for some of the spinoffs (X-2, XIII-2 and -3 were not of any interest).

My plan is start over with 1 and attempt 2 again (failed many a time). Then follow up with 4 (not a big fan of 3), 5 (never finished) and 6 (played through half a dozen times and still love it). After that I have a play through of VII to finish (got to 1/3 of the way when it came out on PS4) and then go to IX.

Good times except that will mean my backlog will keep growing :), but my nefarious plan is to play most games on lunch break and some commute.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Gonna start FF1 today.
I think I will try the NES version first for historic value and go as far as possible in it, then eventually switch to the PSX or PSP remake if necessary.

Ditto, but I'm starting with the PSX version. Just picked up Origins on PSN.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I want to play VI, but don't have a GBA... Is the PSX version really bad?

I played the whole game on psx. Its playable. I'd take that over the fugly mobile/steam versions lol

But yea the loading is bad. Exiting the menu and exiting a battle take a couple seconds too long and it gets real annoying.

JC Lately

Ooh I like this thread! I've been trying to beat all FF games and this might just do it for me.

I've already beat (will not replay except for 9): 1, 2, 4, 9, 13 (14)

Plan to play this year: 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13-2, 13-3, 15 (maybe 10-2 and 4 the after years if I feel like it)

god what a huge list I wonder if I'll be able to manage it with my playthrough of the DQ series...

Also I need some help:

I was playing the PC/DS version of 3 a few days ago and I was really surprised by how ugly and kinda unpolished it was, I was honestly expecting FFIV DS quality. And I've been hearing a lot that the NES version is really good. Should I just jump to that then? Is there a good fan translation of it?

Also for 5 and 6, I was planning on picking them on PS3 PS1 classics... are those no good? Do 5 suffer the same loading problems as 6? (i don't really mind to be honest if that's the only problem... unless I underestimating it)

The PSX version of FF V is garbage. Huge Load times, shit translation. I tolerated it when it first came out as it was the only option available. Now though? GBA or ios/Steam. Or bust

FF VI also has issues with load times, though not as bad as FF V. Mostly going in and out of the menu and transferring out of the battle screen. Music is generally good, but seems to drop notes every once in a while for some reason. The translation is touched up but largely the same as the SNES version, some bugs are fixed, others aren’t. Oh and there’s no censorship if you care about that sort of thing. It comes down to how much you hate load times.

I was listening to the OST for FFIII and I feel like it's pretty underrated, and I think it sounds better in its original chiptune. But I've only played the DS version. So is there a translated NES version out there?

Seriously considering replaying VIII and IX while I wait for the PS4 Pro patch for World of Final Fantasy. Stopped playing that when I traded in my PS4 for the Pro on launch.

kswiston

Great thread Aeana!

My goal this year will be Final Fantasy II and III. These are the two mainline games that I haven't beaten or played more than an hour of before. Other than FFXV, since I lack a system to play it on.

Does the PSN version of FF Origins work on Vita? If so, does Vita have a screenshot function? (You can tell how often I use it!)

Also, are any of the NES FF3 fan translations good? I have the DS version, but I might give that a go instead.

Edit: second question answered. Thanks Aeana.

Well I'm already playing FFXIV, which is really cool and addictive. Tactics may get a replay since it's been ages since I played it and it's a masterpiece. XII I will wait on the HD release for. Also, I have Type 0...should really get on with that and play it.

Bladenic

Anyone play the iOS version of Final Fantasy 6? Does it have any redeeming qualities that would warrant it being played over the GBA version?

The PSX version of FF V is garbage. Huge Load times, shit translation. I tolerated it when it first came out as it was the only option available. Now though? GBA or ios/Steam. Or bust

But... it looks so ugly on iOS... Same problem with 6... I've seen people talking about a patch, is it playable with that then?

Also is 3 on NES super hard or is it just average difficulty? Is the DS/PC version easier or harder?

Edit:I saw that V has a patch for the SNES, is that alright? Or is it not very well translated? I can play GBA I guess but... eh....

Scotia

Banned
It's great, and pretty much the perfect game to play as an anniversary game.

It's fantastic. It's charming and doesn't take itself too seriously. There's characters, towns and music from the main series and they're all mixed together really well.

Yes, its absolutely worth playing.

It's one of the best spin-offs in the series.

Wow, seems like I missed out. I'll pick it up in the new year.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

eloxx

Final Fantasy is one of those franchises i know almost nothing about. I started playing A Realm Reborn a few days ago and I really enjoy it! I get that it is probably not the best start to this world, but I really enjoy MMOs. The questing is nice and versatile. The combat system is great, also because there are a ton of options even on PS4. Never seen that in any game on that system.

kswiston

I assume we can do blog-style playthroughs with screenshots like last time. Are there any spoiler rules being set down?

Loona

I love 3 so much, but the remake wrecked a lot of what I love about the game. So if you don't want to play the NES version (it still plays pretty well today, IMO), then I wouldn't bother.

I'm curious about III, but what I hear about the final dungeon is a bit worrying, what with being long and with no save points. I wonder to which extent knowledge that levelling 2 ninjas and 2 sages is the accepted way to deal with that (since it even reflected on the Dissidia take on Onion Knight) is enough to deal with that.

I think I bought the 3D version on Steam some time ago, so my conscience might be a bit clearer should I try some translated emulated version, but I guess that may be too grey an area to elaborate on here.

I know only a few things about it: 4 orphans, floating island, warriors of the dark (this concept seems like one of the more interesting ones introduced to the series), the crystal tower, and this Xander guy summoning Cloud of Darkness, to everyone's detriment.

I always found weird how Dissidia picked Cloud of Darkness as its villain rep for III, since she seems more like an absolute concept than a character, even if perhaps a memorable one - she ends up not bringing too much to the table in Dissidia´s story as a result, unlike many of the other antagonists. As a fan of XI, I often also worry about the relatively unimportant Shantotto becoming the de facto representative of her whole game in crossovers despite having little bearing in its major stories, so I get the feeling III may be best understood by playing it than trusting the skimmed version that makes it to the crossovers...

I'm down for this. Bought a load of Final Fantasy's I'd never played before (which is pretty much all of them bar 7 and 10) in anticipation of 15. I managed to finish 8 (which I loved) before 15 came out so this is the perfect reason to finish off the others I got. The other FF games I got were:

FFV
FFVI
FFXI
FFXIII

And I'll be getting FFXII when it comes out on PS4 next year. I'll probably start with FFXI soon and move on from there. Looking forward to playing these games!

If you're looking to get into XI, nowadays the game is a lot more streamlined in terms of levelling and travel. You might find these useful:

* Speedrunning guide focused on levelling: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/User:Korvana/Speedrun - much of the game was conceived with level 75 in mind, and the cap nowadays is 99 (and beyond that with gear), so a high level can help maximize enjoyment of the story; this guide goes for specific job combinations that need not be followed, but much of its content can be handy

* Estimates of all major story lines, and some of the optional quests are ranked too as a bonus, by the person that wrote the speedrunning guide above: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/5i6qdt/story_questions/db5yy7y/

So I have this bizarre situation where I've played every game in the franchise, and nearly every spin-off, but I've never actually beaten the ending to almost all of them. Maybe it's time to finally right that wrong in this coming year.

XI's ending, specifically for Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, which requires progress in past stories, is the only time a video game brought me to tears -the years I spent playing it for the story probably help, but so does the way the devs expressed through the characters there after so many years, and the fact that much of the ending song was sung by the actual players.

After playing XI for so many years there are things I notice about the game that I never see mentioned anywhere which make me wonder if I should write one or more articles about it or try to make videos about it. So much of the game's public perception seems to consist on: it's online with a subscription ("so won't bother'"), has 5 selectable races in 3 selectable nations with an enemy known as the Shadow Lord (tip of the iceberg, beating that enemy in the grand scope of things is rougly equivalent to beating Garland in the original FF1, not to mention the individual nation narratives never even come up), Shantotto is in it (she's not even important most of the time - plays a secondary role in her nation's missions, has some quests of her own, also has a secondary role in the Aht Urghan missions, and got her own mini-expansion around the time she was selected to be in Dissidia - she's completely avoidable in the primary stories of her own game), there were some bosses that look a really long time to fight (they got adjusted even before the level cap was raised above 75, were entirely optional in the first place, not really a factor anymore).

I wonder if there'd be some interest in elaborating on some interesting points of the game in this thread, or if there are specific points people may be curious about... there's so much ground to cover - off the top of my head:

* The game's 3-way symmetry regarding the starting cities in terms of early story and zones separating them from the original hub city of Jeuno - and how to some extent some of those city's design principles reflect the classic roles of tank, damage dealer and mage

* How elements introduced in the original version of the game, like the crags, were clearly part of a wider plan that would take the release of the first 2 expansions (Rise of the Zilart and Chains of Promathia) to fully come to fruition. As a side effect, in a way the expansion after that, Treasures of Aht Urghan, felt like XI's "internal sequel" in many ways.

* How XI's blue mage implementation is one of the more mechanically interesting jobs in the whole series, in no small part thanks to some of the mechanics introduced in the original version of the game, mostly for the use of the black mage and beastmaster jobs

* Acceptable changes to convert the game to a single-player version, because not only the mobile version that'd planned won't be able to do justice to the intricacies of the game, there are current improvements to the game that were not possible in its original release that could be used to revise their implementation (like how in the original missions some NPCs joined you before and after fights in cutscenes, but wouldn't join you in the actual fights for lack of battle data - nowadays practically all of them can join you as NPC party members)

* A spoilerish overview of chapter 3 of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, the grand finale to the game's major stories - it brought together concepts from past game's stories, parallels with the game's online nature, played with expectations from past story endings, and showed off a lot of things only mentioned by name before... it was one hell of a ride...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Beat:
I (PSP), II (PSP), III (NES), IV + IV:TAY (PSP), V (PSone), VI (PSone), VII + CC:FFVII (PSone/PSP), VIII (PSone), IX (PSone), X + X-2 (PS2), XII (PS2), XIII + XIII-2 + LR:FFXIII (PS3), XV (PS4)

Played but never beat:
DoC: FFVII (PS2)

Never touched:
XI, XIV

How I rank my mainline FF games:
X > VII = IX > IV = VI = XV > XIII > VIII > V > XII > I > III > II

How I review each with game:

I
+: The game that started it all, very simple (and DQ1-like).
-: Might have not aged well.

II
+: Introduces characterization in FF.
-: Leveling based on attacking sucks.

III
+: Introduces the job system in FF.
-: Can get hard as balls.

IV
+: Introduced lengthy epics and strong characters. Sets the foundation of the FF series. Good evolution of the ATB.
-: The epic may be a bit dated.

V
+: Refines the job system and class changes.
-: Story isn't as "epic". Relatively simple story similar to the very early FFs.

VI
+: The grandmaster of FFs. The great epic and the wonderful music makes it incredibly memorable
-: The gameplay is a bit broken (vanish/doom) and
the World of Ruin might need a bit more structure.

VII
+: The CG, gameplay, music, design were epic and incredibly memorable and iconic.
-: Dated. Probably the least good looking FF now.

VIII
+: The music is top-notch, probably one of the best OSTs in FF. Has one of the best endings in the FF series.
-: The story can get a little whacked and the junction system is broken.

IX
+: Very charming yet simple story, charming graphics, and charming set pieces that makes the game endearing.
-: The character designs are left to be desired.

X
+: The introduction of cutscenes, a sweeping and has also one of the top tier FF OSTs. The CG scenes and the ending are incredibly memorable.
-: The cutscenes and voice acting are a bit awkward.

XII
+: The world of Ivalice is beautiful and Basch, Balthier, and Ashe are strong characters.
-: OST isn't as memorable as the other FF and the latter half is rushed.

XIII
+: The ATB system is a good introduction to the newcomers and the graphics still look good until now. Lightning is a well-remembered character.
-: Too linear and the story is convoluted. Lacks the replay value. Not much to do too besides battle cutscenes.

XV
+: The gameplay is amazing. The battle tracks are amazing. The bros are very endearing characters who you cared about. The tech is also incredible. Has one of the best endings too.
-: Rushed latter half and the story could have had a lot of potential.

Scotia

Banned
If you're looking to get into XI, nowadays the game is a lot more streamlined in terms of levelling and travel. You might find these useful:

* Speedrunning guide focused on levelling: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/User:Korvana/Speedrun - much of the game was conceived with level 75 in mind, and the cap nowadays is 99 (and beyond that with gear), so a high level can help maximize enjoyment of the story; this guide goes for specific job combinations that need not be followed, but much of its content can be handy

* Estimates of all major story lines, and some of the optional quests are ranked too as a bonus, by the person that wrote the speedrunning guide above: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/5i6qdt/story_questions/db5yy7y/

Thanks for this!

Excellent thread. I plan on completing at least VII and VIII in Japanese, something I've never done.

I also plan on going back to the remaster of X-2 and clearing that, as well as catching up with XIV and clearing XII when it gets re-released.

Also gotta get back to World of FF.

I've only ever played VII, but want to catch up.

I'm curious if that anniversary collection turns out to be real though, if only for trophy support for the older games.

Might just play X, XIII and XV first.

jb1234

I'm working on XIV right now and am giving serious thought to XI, even though I'm not really an MMO guy. But XIV has provided a certain amount of entertainment, even if the story is practically non-existent early on.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anyway, Noi, Corvo, and I were replaying through the series already cuz we're good friends off of GAF and sort of made a pact to do it in 2014 or something I can't remember. We tried to keep it steady but then we started playing FF14 and had raid nights and lost track and then those two started playing Granblue Fantasy more often... look, things happened.

Noi and I got up to 8 but dropped it for a bit in favour of playing through World of FF and FF15 together. World of Final Fantasy is fantastic and Noi and I are getting the plat for that one. FF15 was not enjoyable. I think Corvo's up to FF7 but he's been busy with his job lately so we mostly play FF14 together when we get the chance (coordinating Japan time with NA time on non-weekends is hard!). We're also watching the movies and some of the anime together, too. We saw Kingsglaive together and pretty much disliked it, lol.

What conclusion I came to while replaying a lot of these games at 28 years old versus being a teenager is that I dislike a lot of things about half of them. I commented on this stuff offsite for people who remember me or follow me elsewhere, though. I think someone on this forum suggested I leaned towards the older games years ago, and they're not really wrong. With the exception of X-2 and 14 (and some spinoffs) I prefer the older games by quite a bit. Partially because I know the calculations for most of the stuff in my head and can speed through them already.

Here is my personal spreadsheet. I've been keeping track. I don't think the other two are.

al65pVI.jpg

I need to update that cuz we did all of Patch 3.4's stuff and Noi and I are working on two-manning to floor 200 in Palace of the Dead.

As I suggested before to Noi and probably Jucksalbe, I'll attempt another FF1 ironman run because Noi screwed me over last time.

YoG9Vi6.png
glRnIrP.png
RD6duxt.png

fuk noi :mad:

Aw, shit, you're right! Sorry, guys.

It's fine, lol.

bring batman back
um this is bullying who do i report this to

is it my destiny to replay ff4 every year

(No don't bring The After Years up pls)

RDreamer

Just finished XV, so that means I've beat all the main FFs except XI and XIV. Played the hell out of XI and never really experienced XIV, so I'm getting into that now.

I was really thinking of getting World of Final Fantasy. Heard mixed things, and my play of the demo felt mixed. I really think I'd like it on Vita, though. How is the Vita port? Haven't heard a ton about it since release.

randomkid

If we are doing series histories, my first FF (and first RPG) was FF4 which I played in 1993. After that, I bought every localized FF game on day 1 through 2001, so I believe that works out to 6, 7, Tactics, 8, Anthology, 9, Chronicles.

10 ended up an inflection point for me and my relationship with this series, for the first time I wasn't going to be able to buy a Final Fantasy on Day 1 (I was waiting for a PS2 pricedrop). 11 was also the first FF I completely skipped, and then 10-2 was also something I passed on. Once I had hopped off the day one train for the series, there was basically no going back. So although I didn't realize it at the time, FF10 was the point where these games went from All Time Favorite Video Game Series to series I check in on.

In any case, 2 is still the only mainline game I haven't finished. I got the PSX version for $2 and it's sitting on my Vita right now so it will absolutely get played this year, along with 15 and World of FF when they're $20 or so.

Top Bottom