• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Destiny 2, shaders are now one-time use. (And yes, tied to microtransactions.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem is they didn't work this way before, and in retrospect that makes it shitty. If they had always been this way no one would have batted an eye.

That said, I'll wait to see the drop rate before I reserve judgement, but my first impression is it seems unnecessarily annoying.

The problem is that people like to play dress up, but in Destiny 2 they charge you every time you try something on and then it disappears if you want to try something else on.

Imagine if it worked like that in retail stores.

Dolobill

This sounds really bad to me. Why even bother trying to collect shaders if they're gone the next time you change your gear? I spent so much time getting those Dead Orbit shaders in D1. This is a massive regression for D2 endgame, imo.

CoLaN

Its crazy the amount of free passes this game is getting.

So many reused assets, or plain identical things taken from the first game.... and now this.

Are they easily buyable (affordable) ?

If yes, then like Diablo 3, its not much of an issue.

If they are drop related and RNG... Fuck you Bungie

Daffy Duck

You can have paid DLC or you can have microtransactions. You can't have both.

I mean, they WILL, but they shouldn't.

Activision want paid DLC, paid map packs, micro transactions and paid DLC and micro transactions on pre order bonuses.

They are literally the devil.

Its crazy the amount of free passes this game is getting.

So many reused assets, or plain identical things taken from the first game.... and now this.

It's a game people love, what do you expect? It's blind faith.

I've been there with Call of Duty, and that's why I am so jaded and put off Destiny 2 and probably be accused of shitting up these threads.

That kinda sucks, I really hope the drops are plentiful enough to outweigh the negatives of making shaders a microtransaction...

In Warframe there's a bunch of colours you can buy with real money but they also have a semi decent amount of colors for free from the jump and that's a free to play game.

D i Z

It kind of sucks, but having played other mmo's where shaders are consumable items, it makes sense.

The problem is that people like to play dress up, but in Destiny 2 they charge you every time you try something on and then it disappears if you want to try something else on.

Are there shaders that you can't acquire via gameplay? I don't think this analogy works...

Emitan

Are they easily buyable (affordable) ?

If yes, then like Diablo 3, its not much of an issue.

If they are drop related and RNG... Fuck you Bungie

I got 3 shaders from a chest in open world. But I've been playing for several hours and only found that one drop so I don't know how common they are.

finalflame

Gold Member
It's a cosmetic feature. I have a hard time caring about this, and having any sympathy for those who do. I have zero concern with what companies do with their cosmetics and how they tie them to microtransactions.

Gator86

And today's big outrage is...

Shaders.

Posting a thread about a video game on a video game message board is outrage now.

This seems like a bad change considering how often you switch gear in D1 and how much I have in the first half dozen hours of D2. Not really sure of any reasons why it's a positive change.

It kind of sucks, but having played other mmo's where shaders are consumable items, it makes sense.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but D2 has no auction house or something similar to buy those shaders through a player market, right?

The most recent personal example I can think of is guild wars 2 but pretty sure they were permanent on your character after consumption and you could switch between your shaders at any time.

carlsojo

Posting a thread about a video game on a video game message board is outrage now.

This seems like a bad change considering how often you switch gear in D1 and how much I have in the first half dozen hours of D2. Not really sure of any reasons why it's a positive change.

Yesterday the outrage was you could buy gear instead of just cosmetics.

Today it's that you can buy cosmetics.

Skatterd

I mean I get what you're saying but you can preview it. Doesn't make it a good change still, but it's there.
And they come in stacks now is my understanding. Still, if people get up in arms hopefully they'll bring the old way back or specific sharers are infinite use.

My main problem with the Destiny franchise leaning so heavily on mechanics like this that'd fly in other games like Overwatch or whatever, is that Destiny doesn't get any free post-launch content. The DLC is actually really damn expensive, generally doesn't have enough content to justify the cost, and yet still they're looking for every single possible way to nickel and dime the players some more.

I defended the last Destiny 2 microtransaction thread because it didn't end up being that big a deal. But this seems really dumb, considering the number of other paid games I could point to that don't make dyeing your gear reliant on microtransactions, and actually just genuinely have better methods of changing the appearance of your character available for free.

Holy shit, thats garbage. Like really stupid. Collecting shaders was one of coolest things in destiny, i would ofyen cycle my shaders constantly.

Yohane

Would be brilliant a game where the actual graphical shaders were one-time use with microtransactions? You only get the diffuse one f2p.

DryvBy

This is great! Now I'll just never use any of them and fill my bank with it. Please tell me they sell bank slots too so I can spent money. Please tell me this.

Hoo-doo

Banned

The issue isn't that they are charging for cosmetics. The issue is that the shaders used to be hot-swappable between armor sets in D1. You could have an entire collection and swap them out at will.

That changed. Now it's a RNG moneysink to even get the shaders you want and they are single-use as well. It's a step back in every way.

Can you not preview them before using them?

Yes and as I am playing Destiny 2 now, it is important to mention shaders are found in chests, caches and some enemies drop them. I am level13 and have a few shaders already. You can also preview them at any time. Haven't spent a dime on eververse and do not plan to.

The issue isn't that they are charging for cosmetics. The issue is that the shaders used to be hot-swappable between armor sets in D1. You could have an entire collection and swap them out at will.

That changed. Now it's a RNG moneysink to even get the shaders you want and they are single-use as well. It's a step back in every way.

No it is not. Shaders now drop and can be found even at levels to early to equip them. You can still get shaders for free. I have 3 uses of two different shaders. Just like in the other thread about weapon mods, you seem to want to make these changes seem larger than they are. You really don't like micro transactions at all. Just their existence seem to upset you.

Melchiah

So shaders are the new Chroma?

At least you can apply them to individual pieces of armor now. Considering how many Chroma I had in my vault I'm not all that concerned about some shaders being in packages that you still get for free.

More like weapon shaders perhaps, which were much harder to get by just playing the game, and which could also be bought with real money. Seems like they were testing waters with them, and this is the result.

Gator86

Except more people calmly discussed it while others rapidly built outraged strawmen with pitchforks to defend Destiny from. Maybe discuss the topic instead of just shitposting about outrage before anything has said or done anything overly dramatized.

I think it's reasonable for people to discuss a thing that's changed in the game from D1 (permanent shaders) to D2 (usable shaders).

finalflame

Gold Member

So what? Bungie has every right to monetize cosmetics however they see fit. Paying for guns and the likes I'd be pissed over, but "evolving" their monetization around cosmetics is just expected. As long as companies keep making money off cosmetics and not game-affecting items, I'm 100% okay with it.

Because it's helpful for development studios to make money if you want them to also continue making games
Poor Activision-blizzard, strapped for cash and needing to change things from the bomba Destiny 1 that worked fine to something that even f2p mmos don't stoop to, to make up for the insane losses that game created. Good thing they're using this to make all the important non-cosmetic content free for players.

Lol, spare me

Auraela

Banned
Dyes are consumables in any other MMO as well, they're ink pots you use on your armor to give them a color. It's actually crazy shaders are forever usable.

I can understand why it bothers people coming from 1 though, I hope this will change in the future if there's enough buzz about it.

in guild wars the dyes u unlock are pernamently added to your account once identified, yes u can buy them with money to unlock but u can also get them by any other means without opening your wallet and once u got that color u can permanently swap to and from it

Because it's helpful for development studios to make money if you want them to also continue making games
Don't start this bullshit.

Vanilla game costs $60.

First two expansions cost $35 together.

If the third expansion is anything like The Taken King, it'll be $40.

If the fourth expansion is anything like Rise of Iron, it'll be $30.

They absolutely fund the content of this game and then a whole lot more solely through the prices they place on all the expansions and the base game. They didn't justify the use of microtransactions in the first game. I doubt that'll change this time around.

Of course people will defend this garbage. Sounds like some complete bullshit to me. That was one thing that was already pretty great (relatively speaking) in D1.

I assume you can at least preview and decide what to use it on??

carlsojo

Except more people calmly discussed it while others rapidly built outraged strawmen with pitchforks to defend Destiny from. Maybe discuss the topic instead of just shitposting about outrage before anything has said or done anything overly dramatized.

I think it's reasonable for people to discuss a thing that's changed in the game from D1 (permanent shaders) to D2 (usable shaders).

Fair enough, on-topic: in the OP it said they drop in multiples so I don't see the issue.

ExVicis

I wonder how many pages of "This isn't any big deal" this thread will get from people who feel that they need to defend this.

This is kind of shitty practice for Destiny when you take into account how shaders were dealt with in the past. Especially considering how often people will probably changes loadouts and gear. I had one favorite shader from D1 that I put on for everything I wore and I would be really annoyed if I had to buy a new one for every outfit or piece I decided to change into.

Theres pretty much no incentive to use shaders at all until you have end game gear now. You wpuld litterl
y be throwing that shit away with how fast you swap gear when leveling up

I think it should be noted as well that you can infuse your gear with higher ilevel pieces and bring it up to par.

Not defending it -- it's a pretty obvious action to fill out the game's lootboxes -- but that should ease the sting a bit.

A-V-B

And today's big outrage is...

Shaders.

I would think the actual complaint regards shifting a part of the game over to F2P mechanics at the last minute, speaking to a possible future where other elements could be whisked away to microtransaction-land at a moment's notice. But that's just a quick read.

PC players have to wait almost 2 months to even play this, missing out on the discovery of the raid, and how to complete it, possibly getting spoiled on the story and waiting months for the PS4 exclusive content....

And people are complaining about colouring your player.

Fuck guys, bit of perspective here.

Mechazawa

Dyes are consumables in any other MMO as well, they're ink pots you use on your armor to give them a color. It's actually crazy shaders are forever usable.

Not only are dyes not a one time use in GW2, but they're also usable across every character you own as well.

Step it up, senpai.

Lothars

I wonder how many pages of "This isn't any big deal" this thread will get from people who feel that they need to defend this.

This is kind of shitty practice for Destiny when you take into account how shaders were dealt with in the past. Especially considering how often people will probably changes loadouts and gear. I had one favorite shader from D1 that I put on for everything I wore and I would be really annoyed if I had to buy a new one for every outfit or piece I decided to change into.
I wonder how many people will shit post on destiny in every thread when pretending they don't.

Yes I do agree that this is a disappointing change, I don't like the shaders being used up and having to wait for them to drop but I do like that you can apply them to pieces individually. So I hope they find a better solution than this.

I would think the actual complaint regards shifting a part of the game over to F2P mechanics at the last minute, speaking to a possible future where other elements could be whisked away to microtransaction-land at a moment's notice. But that's just a quick read.
This has been known for for at least a week, It was hopped that there would be a kiosk or something instead of having to wait for drops but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

This is only a big deal to me because it is a change from what I am used to. Had it been this way from Day 1, it would have been fine.

I loved changing shaders all the time. It was honestly one of my favorite parts of Destiny. I hope they drop at a very high rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom