• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Destiny 2, shaders are now one-time use. (And yes, tied to microtransactions.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drencrom

whoa whoa whoa lets not get ahead of ourselves. They didn't even change the character creator!
Is... is that true? The same char creator as in D1?

Edit:
Yeah, I kid you not I was excited after playing the beta. Booted up the game and saw that my Destiny 1 character turned into this:

and that the character creator otherwise was the exact same as the first one (presets, markings, hairstyles etc). It brought me way down, especially with the news of the shaders, to the point where I was bothered enough to shut off the game and not play for another few hours.

Weird thing to get hung up on, but it happened.

Played up to the farm and really really loved what I played and saw, already better than the entirety of vanilla Destiny 1 campaign.

Oh wow...

The char creator in D1 was already laughbly awful and barebones when it came out... what is Bungie doing?

If they still want to make shaders grindy, what they should do is make them a rare-drop/unlimited use but split them into categories:

Weapon Shaders
Armour Shaders
Ship Shaders
Ghost Shaders etc.
Which would reduce customization unless you plan to have the same shader in different pools, meaning you could get one you liked but not be able to use it as it wasn't the 'ghost' version of it. Sounds equally tedious.

Just have them be more rare, but added to a shader pool that you can select from thereafter.

farisr

whoa whoa whoa lets not get ahead of ourselves. They didn't even change the character creator!
LOL The exact reaction I had. Still hyped as hell though after playing the PC Beta.
Yeah, I kid you not I was excited after playing the beta. Booted up the game and saw that my Destiny 1 character turned into this:
destiny12characterjmu1g.jpg
]
and that the character creator otherwise was the exact same as the first one (presets, markings, hairstyles etc). It brought me way down, especially with the news of the shaders, to the point where I was bothered enough to shut off the game and not play for another few hours.

Played up to the farm and really really loved what I played and saw, already better than the entirety of vanilla Destiny 1 campaign.

It brought me way down, especially with the news of the shaders, to the point where I was bothered enough to shut off the game and not play for another few hours.

Did you just repost this just to get it higher? Seems you get hung up on a few things lol.

farisr

The ๖ۜBronx;248159807 said:
Did you just repost this just to get it higher? Seems you get hung up on a few things lol.
I was actually editing my post and accidentally reposted when trying to add in a new quote. Deleted the old one.

Of course, I used the opportunity to keep the higher one instead. LOL.

Cob32

Sorry I can't stop laughing at this.

Edit:my main was an exo so the damage isn't so bad.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Heh, I caught this on the Destiny 2 quicklook on GB last night, how Jeff's character looks goddamn ridiculous after the transition. What the hell happened to her face.

Sojgat

It's bullshit and Bungie should change it. Spoilers: They won't.

I at least appreciate that the default gear colours tend to not clash as much as in the first game, so you don't get every combination looking like a clown suit.

ChazGW7

The ๖ۜBronx;248159714 said:
Which would reduce customization unless you plan to have the same shader in different pools, meaning you could get one you liked but not be able to use it as it wasn't the 'ghost' version of it. Sounds equally tedious.

Just have them be more rare, but added to a shader pool that you can select from thereafter.

Im meaning ofcourse you can get the same shader in each category. (Black armour shaders, black weapon shader etc)

But I don't understand why you'd think its tedious, especially equally tedious. Destiny is a game made from its grinding, it makes sense to include the shaders in that grind. Replaying content to get the specific shaders you want (like any other piece of equipment in Destiny) sounds normal.

I don't see Bungie reverting back to the D1 system, there will have to be a compromise.

But I don't understand why you'd think its tedious, especially equally tedious. Destiny is a game made from its grinding, it makes sense to include the shaders in that grind. Replaying content to get the specific shaders you want (like any other piece of equipment in Destiny) sounds normal.
Except in the context of my post it would be possible to get a shader you liked, but not be able to use it because it wasn't the ghost version of it. Then potentially getting it again, and being the same because it was the ship version of it. I see that as being a similar level of tedium to the current system of getting a shader you like, and then having to go after it again because there's a new piece of armour you want it on. Perhaps moreso because at least with the current system you're not getting something you want but are unable to use - potentially repeatedly.

Primus

Quick and dirty fix: Make a Shader kiosk, when you get the Shader via drop/MT it's unlocked in the kiosk, and you can get more of that Shader by paying an amount of Glimmer to the kiosk. Commons are cheap, uncommons more expensive, etc. Only grinding you have to do post-unlock is Glimmer, no more RNG.

Quick and dirty fix: Make a Shader kiosk, when you get the Shader via drop/MT it's unlocked in the kiosk, and you can get more of that Shader by paying an amount of Glimmer to the kiosk. Commons are cheap, uncommons more expensive, etc. Only grinding you have to do post-unlock is Glimmer, no more RNG.

That's not quick.

Bungie still needs to make a shader kiosk and implement the pricing for each shader type, while the players need to grind for something that they've paid with real money. The quicker fix is just make shaders one-time unlockable. It'll be much easier & convenient for both parties.

Melchiah

The ๖ۜBronx;248159924 said:
Prepare for disappointment. Not as bad as the waxwork human model but still looks like it was made of putty. My female awoken Titan is now permanently helmet-on.

That doesn't sound promising. Hopefully that'll change when I get the sequel, but I'm not holding my breath for it to be fixed.

Perhaps tweak the shader economy to be based around having shaders per part still but able to be reused for other pieces? So, if I want to have all the armor the same shader I have to collect it that many times for all the armor pieces/guns/other stuff, but after that I never have to get anymore than I already have. That's how I would personally do it. Make there still be a reason to collect multiple, but still allow for people to experiment and change their look at any time that they like with the shaders they already have.

Sojgat

Perhaps tweak the shader economy to be based around having shaders per part still but able to be reused for other pieces? So, if I want to have all the armor the same shader I have to collect it that many times for all the armor pieces/guns/other stuff, but after that I never have to get anymore than I already have. That's how I would personally do it. Make there still be a reason to collect multiple, but still allow for people to experiment and change their look at any time that they like with the shaders they already have.

I think that would be a fairer system that would still allow them to push microtransactions effectively. Consumable shaders are just trash.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Nah, there's no reason players should have to collect multiple when they're already trying to collect the many shaders in general.

It's an artificial way of lengthening the grind and potentially pushing people to spend real money.

You should get a shader and keep it forever, just like in Destiny 1. Simple as that.

Audioboxer

Standard practice for this industry. If other devs get away with it we'll do it too. This is precisely why people criticise anti-consumer practices, even if it's in games they aren't playing. All it takes is one big pub/dev to get defended and praised and the other boardrooms and suits say "this is now accepted in the industry, and it can squeeze out more money after the $60 purchase so let's get on it".

Lootboxes are bad enough, they are the worst thing that's happened to the gaming industry in $60 products in a long time. All the trimmings on the side like this are just an extension of the rampant money grabbing. MTs, season passes for unreleased content, loot boxes, paid for cosmetics on steroids, pre-order bonus mania, forced paid for online (PS+/XBLG/Nintendo Online) and more. Gotta love it all. Fantastic. What's next, sign me up in advance! Satire aside, paid for mods have arrived, so that Diablo paid for auction house is coming back in some form. Count on it.

Its shit, but I'm withholding judgment till level cap. I'm only level 10 and already have some.

Max Physical level (still working on light level), no money spent on eververse

Shaders:

Mods:

Like I said before, it isn't a big deal. Also considering if you like a piece of gear you can apply mod or shader then just infuse it to keep it with you. I can already tell I am going to have an army of them before I decide to use one.

if you like that gear can't you just keep it and the shader you applied and continue to infuse it instead?

Yes you can.

Shaders:

Mods:

Like I said before, it isn't a big deal. Also considering if you like a piece of gear you can apply mod or shader then just infuse it to keep it with you. I can already tell I am going to have an army of them before I decide to use one.

Yes you can.
Do you need one shader per piece of equipment? Because I that's the case then 14 of your 20 shaders aren't enough to do your entire character :(

recursive

Meh.

Most triple A games have a hook these days.

I do not like it, but if let's say the 5% of people who give a shit about shaders fund the experience for everyone else, I have no problem with it.

People shine up their armour, and people like me who are more interested in gameplay benefit from the whales.

I love it that future expansions are being funded by people who pay for garbage like that.

Future expansions are funded by that purchase you make at the store..

recursive

Shaders:

Mods:

Yes you can.

That isn't too many actually considering you need one for each piece of gear.

Do you need one shader per piece of equipment? Because I that's the case then 14 of your 20 shaders aren't enough to do your entire character :(

That isn't too many actually considering you need one for each piece of gear.

It may not be necessary. Default shader could fit scheme. If you haven't noticed there is no shader that is one solid color for all pieces. This leads to an interesting situation where one or two of your armor already fit the schema. Again though, I personally do not see the point until closer to end game. This is the stuff I acquired after hitting 20, so if it is at that rate, it doesn't seem to be much of a concern.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Nah, there's no reason players should have to collect multiple when they're already trying to collect the many shaders in general.

It's an artificial way of lengthening the grind and potentially pushing people to spend real money.

You should get a shader and keep it forever, just like in Destiny 1. Simple as that.

Thank you. Way too many terrible suggestions for "quick" fixes in this thread. Don't worry about the work required, worry about keeping the pressure on Bungie to make the right fix for an important issue.

robo

I usually ran the faction shaders, one per character, after that i easnt to bothered.

But suprised there isnt a book at release, collect ships, spartows etc same as d1 near the end.

Imagine the shit show if a trophy for a full set of the same shader.

I also noticed how although the game has progressed, my characters look worse and even after regaining my powers, im still mute!

Big step back in most areas for my characters overall, even though the game is way better.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Honestly doesn't bother me too much. Yeah it's a bit weird and feels like a step back but I really don't care... as long as we can preview them. Can you? I'm not at lvl 20 yet so don't know.

Dyes are consumables in any other MMO as well, they're ink pots you use on your armor to give them a color. It's actually crazy shaders are forever usable.

I can understand why it bothers people coming from 1 though, I hope this will change in the future if there's enough buzz about it.

I can't speak for other current MMOs, but ESO notably has a ton of infinitely reusable dye options, and the interface is incredibly easy to use.

Honestly doesn't bother me too much. Yeah it's a bit weird and feels like a step back but I really don't care... as long as we can preview them. Can you? I'm not at lvl 20 yet so don't know.

That's exactly what pubs want. For you not to care while they find another method of nickel and diming you.

accx

Hmm... This and the somewhat "pay2win" microtransactions have me considering canceling my PC preorder. Sucks, i enjoyed the beta and this is the type of game that i've been wanting as an option to chill between playing overwatch.

(Super offtopic):
As of now i feel that i should wait for a discount, but since it's on battle.net now that'll happen earliest in 3 years i reckon. Yea yea, while not a blizzard game i'm still somewhat skeptical seeing how popular the game is.
Talking about other games, i mean, gta5 on pc haven't passed the 50% discount on steam afaik. Getting destiny 2 for 19.99 seems like it'll take years to reach.

Hows acti/bungies track record when it comes to listening to feedback and changing prices/microtransactions? Some (very rare) companies get on top of things and adjust for the better.

Man... I still can't shake the feeling that if this were a newly made mmo (especially the "p2w" aspect) it would bomb so fucking hard.

I'm fine with the change. Sucks that they didn't mention it beforehand but at the end of the day it's cosmetic and I can earn it in game so it's whatever.

cLOUDo

Shaders:

Mods:

Yes you can.

you can preview the shaders?

Pygrus

The shader thing isnt the worst part. It's the Weapon and Armor mod stuff that is bad. You can get weapon and armor enhancements that you can get from the loot boxes you buy with real money.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Eh, I'm ambivalent on this. It's kind of creating a carrot-on-a-stick for things that weren't that way before, but it also seems like you earn shaders at a waaaaay faster pace than in D1, by several factors. And that's even just by looking at how progression has been before the endgame content.

I'm with incentivizing gameplay by spreading loot out a bit, but it already seems like there's so much.

The shader thing isnt the worst part. It's the Weapon and Armor mod stuff that is bad. You can get weapon and armor enhancements that you can get from the loot boxes you buy with real money.
But...its easy to get in game, same with shaders. I am not done the campaign and have a lot already. If you had to buy them I could see it being a bigger issue.still sucks but its not a big deal no?

Shaders:

Mods:

Yes you can.

I appreciate the input! Seems to me like their logic was that they want you to get more attached to gear via mods, one-time shaders, and infusion. I can see why some might not like the idea, but I can dig it. I certainly don't feel forced to buy anything extra (aside from the damn expansions that made my day 1 purchase almost $100).

I said before that I dislike lottery-based in-game purchases, but in this case I think that's what keeps me from disliking the implementation. If shaders were one-time use buy you could pay real money to get more of the exact one you want, I'd call BS. In this case, you're literally just paying money for a random chance via something that you'd acquire through regular play anyway. It doesn't seem like they've purposefully altered the drop rate to promote spending real money either. I don't blame people for hating MTX in $60 games in general, but I'm personally ok with this kind of implementation.

I'm fine with the change. Sucks that they didn't mention it beforehand but at the end of the day it's cosmetic and I can earn it in game so it's whatever.

Why would you just accept this? It may not affect you directly but you should at least be able to see this isn't really in any way being done for the benefit of players. If there is no reasonable way to justify this over the previous method, then it's not a good thing that should just be ignored. If it offers no benefit for the player but has negative aspects it shouldn't just be seen as "whatever".

Upsetting to think this is the same guy who at one time was absolutely furious about the Xbox Lumines DLC and likened that to publishers doing a gross science experiment on our wallets. I get that this was probably a decision made higher up and without his consent, but it's still a bummer to see.

Z3M0G

I'm wondering if 99% of the mods you collect will ultimately remain unused... and what that means as a viable game mechanic overall. There is likely no incentive at all to use them in the early game, and in the end game you will only burn them on your most favorite gear...

Edit: I just noticed that vehicle mods take up the same storage space? (that one in the upper-right corner)

The ๖ۜBronx;248159639 said:
I get the sentiment but I never got the shader from King's Fall in D1 despite running it multiple times specifically hoping to get it. I'd take a higher drop rate but being more selective in that respect.
There wasnt a shader that dropped in kings fall. After you got a full armor set, the shader unlocked at the kiosk.

Cranster

Banned

Edit:

Oh wow...

The char creator in D1 was already laughbly awful and barebones when it came out... what is Bungie doing?
Laughing all the way to the bank.

Bungie today is the opposite of what Bungie was under Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom