• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Destiny 2, shaders are now one-time use. (And yes, tied to microtransactions.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuga

Banned
How else can Bungie afford dedicated servers?

LUJnwqa.gif

Rezbit

I really liked messing with the shaders, and constantly changed them in D1. Massive buzzkill being one-time use. Come on Bungie :\

on the one hand yea its sucks
on the other hand u can now mix and match and also dye your weapons,ships,sparrows too too.

Take the good with the bad I suppose

Tovarisc

on the one hand yea its sucks
on the other hand u can now mix and match and also dye your weapons,ships,sparrows too too.

Take the good with the bad I suppose

Why they couldn't do latter with infinite shaders from D1?

This change is just unnecessary change from old infinite shaders and quite blatant attempt at money grabbing.

Eh, I'm sure they'll get around to fixing it.
It'll be a bullet point in a $30 update.

And then charge you a few bucks to change your existing characters appearance once.

Makes you wonder how late in the process they decided to make this stand alone and not just DLC.

Monocle

As a lover of customization, this is stupid and bad, and I hope the fan response is loud enough that Bungie implements a better solution. Ideally unlimited use of shaders like Destiny 1.

Sometimes you just want to show your friends some sick color schemes.

As someone who hates commitment on any type of level....lame.
Oh yeah this too. Shader swaps and repecs all day. Why be one thing when you can be everything?

My character's going to be a motley ass looking mother fucker by the end of this game. I will die before I spend a cent on a consumable cosmetic item.

Sometimes people would change shaders several times during one pvp Crucible match.

I had a look for my fun police defender titan, my twilight garrison uni remote titan, and my RA the sun god look.

Gotta have my "this team sucks" shader, my "hey maybe we can do this" shader, my "get clowned, noobs" shader, and my "bathroom break, you better watch my ass" shader.

If you did multiple things or went to pve, then your gear changed. I liked to match my gear to those sets. Not sure why I must be mocked for my love of destiny fashion. FashionGaf are people too!

Monocle

Sometimes people would change shaders several times during one pvp Crucible match.
Gotta have my "this team sucks" shader, my "hey maybe we can do this" shader, my "get clowned, noobs" shader, and my "bathroom break, you better watch my ass" shader.

Finaj

if it makes people feel better, WoWs character creator has been the same for over 10 years.

And it's still better than Destiny 2's. Even the character models in WoW emote more (granted, most of the new models are from 2014's Warlords of Draenor expansion, but the point still stands).

fritolay

I think I would like Destiny 1 or 2. But it seems one of the most anti-gamer series lately. So therefore I won't even try it.

joecanada

Destiny 1 was my biggest regret based on expense this gen. Really liked the game but if this is what it " costs " to produce destiny 2 then no thanks the value is always twofold a year later . Their dlc for me is a ripoff already so even marginal microtransactions are well beyond my nope point. I'm not paying well over a 100 for a game only to also put up with bs . 99 dollars only got me " season 1 " last time . I'll stick with pubg now for 39. Hell I'll even throw 20-30 down on a cheap or f2p game like Warframe.

20 minute Jim Sterling video incoming.

You know what? I actually like this. Means not everyone is going to look the same since shaders are rare and can't be reused. So i might be the only one with a zebra exotic sniper!

I obviously don't like the dlc part of it but who cares, not buying any shaders lol.

Stiler

You know what? I actually like this. Means not everyone is going to look the same since shaders are rare and can't be reused. So i might be the only one with a zebra exotic sniper!

I obviously don't like the dlc part of it but who cares, not buying any shaders lol.

This will make people not use them in the first place since they will not want to "waste them" or save them for better armor items.

It will also cause a lot less experimenting with colors and looks and seeing what things look like.

Wadiwasi

Banned
I see something that makes me think....sure I'll buy Destiny 2. Then I see something that makes me rethink that.

It is a cycle. I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but me and my brother have been looking for a game to co-op for an hour or two on the weekends and this may be the best game given his tastes. Eh I don't know, but what I do know is that I think this is petty as hell. In D1 some armor looked much better in different shaders than others, imo.

Destiny 1 was my biggest regret based on expense this gen. Really liked the game but if this is what it " costs " to produce destiny 2 then no thanks the value is always twofold a year later . Their dlc for me is a ripoff already so even marginal microtransactions are well beyond my nope point. I'm not paying well over a 100 for a game only to also put up with bs . 99 dollars only got me " season 1 " last time . I'll stick with pubg now for 39. Hell I'll even throw 20-30 down on a cheap or f2p game like Warframe.

There are so many good free games these days that give you more content and potential playtime than Destiny does. Hell, there was a thread about Path of Exile today. A way better loot game than Destiny ever was, and it has great monetization even for a free game. I felt the same way about Destiny's cost. They didn't provide enough value for the first $60, everything after that was priced way too expensively for what it was, and it apparently still wasn't enough because they tried to do microtransactions to fund free updates but they couldn't even sustain the updates for some reason even after taking all that money from customers.

This will make people not use them in the first place since they will not want to "waste them" or save them for better armor items.

It will also cause a lot less experimenting with colors and looks and seeing what things look like.

1. Not my fault, makes my zebra sniper evem more special.
2. There's preview no?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Maybe they're inspired by throngs of people giving games like Overwatch a pass with their loot box practices since "it's only cosmetics, anyways."

can we just create one thread for overblown destiny rage instead of creating a new thread for every minor gripe that people have? like, yeah, there are cosmetic microtransactions. welcome to 2017.

Kusuri

Neo Member
can we just create one thread for overblown destiny rage instead of creating a new thread for every minor gripe that people have? like, yeah, there are cosmetic microtransactions. welcome to 2017.

More importantly, one should read before posting.
I should add that while I do mention in the OP that some are tied to microtransactions, the main issue here is that the shaders are one-time use consumables. Please keep that in mind when discussing the issue.

OldMuffin

Heyyyy remember in that other thread where people mentioned that micro transactions would affect certain game mechanics in order to make them more appealing to consumers? Well here you go. Today onetime shaders, tomorrow weapon variants like a certain other actvi$ion title...

ZeoVGM

Banned

You know what? I actually like this. Means not everyone is going to look the same since shaders are rare and can't be reused. So i might be the only one with a zebra exotic sniper!.

Being able to apply the shader to different pieces of armor does not require the shaders to be consumable one-time use items.

I'm hearing shaders are supposed to drop a lot (they don't work on greens or whites so they don't drop in the early game). Also, you get a Bright engram (the ones you can buy via MTX) every time you fill your exp bar after hitting level cap. That's more generous with loot boxes than D1 ever was.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm hearing shaders are supposed to drop a lot (they don't work on greens or whites so they don't drop in the early game).

So if some shaders drop a lot, why not just make them unlimited to prevent needing to have multiples?

It overcomplicates the process and, as has been mentioned multiple times, even if they drop "a lot," there are lots of shaders. It's still going to be a pain in the ass to play around with.

Also, you get a Bright engram (the ones you can buy via MTX) every time you fill your exp bar after hitting level cap. That's more generous with loot boxes than D1 ever was.

That's mentioned in the OP. Doesn't change the issue. You get a random shader every time you "level up" out of 20 shaders. (Maybe. There are other items that can drop instead.)

IISANDERII

Yeah it's great, I have no idea why Bungie would keep it a secret and hide it from all pre release information!

You guys who support this kind of stuff are digging your own graves. Every time someone says "Well, that's not so bad" to the latest moneygrubbing tactic, some guy in a boardroom somewhere takes that as a sign to go even further.

LowParry

From an MMO perspective, that's pretty normal these days (See FFXIV)

From an Destiny perspective, probably bullshit considering how it worked in D1.

So...I dunno...

I did not really have an issue with this, shaders were plentiful in the first game.

But then i realised you used to get special raid shaders e.t.c, and if they are 1 time use then that would really suck.

namabiiru

I did not really have an issue with this, shaders were plentiful in the first game.

But then i realised you used to get special raid shaders e.t.c, and if they are 1 time use then that would really suck.

Imagine having to run a raid again just for the chance of getting a shader for a new piece of gear. That takes the fun out of it. I'm bummed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom