• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandoric

Banned
but isnt the current management and creditors the people behind all the corruption?

Current management, allegedly. Civil rehabilitation exists so they can put a plan (anything from a relaxed payment schedule to payment in stock to court-appointed management) before the creditors and the court to keep Index on the up-and-up.

This doesn't necessarily mean Index is in a great position (the lead creditor could be a bank that wants their money back now and is willing to make nothing but Persona-themed compgacha to get it) or that it's in a better position for gamers than liquidation (which could see Atlus go in one solid chunk to another publisher.) Just that someone thinks a court will say "this is a decent business proposition that did something dumb and needs some breathing room" rather than "it's fucked, carve it up".

Lol, what if MS purchases them as there way into Japan?

yes, games that struggle to sell half a million copies are just what microsoft is looking for

Someone needs to explain what can we expect from this stuff.

almost nothing, especially if you do not live in japan and are thus not exposed to most of index's stuff, but i'm sure any negative fan reactions to persona 5 will be blamed on it

short version is that the management, shareholders, creditors and assorted other interested parties will sit down together and have a powwow to come up with a plan that restructures index so it can continue to operate while paying off its debts. (this is a p. gross simplification, i know)

Xater

To quote a market research firm's English-language FAQ about the procedure...

The tl;dr is that it's definitely a reorganization, rather than liquidation or absorption. Index will continue operating, under the ownership of some combination of current management and current creditors. Think, say, GM or Chrysler.

Still bad but it least it doesn't seem like they have to be sold. Still wonder if this might affect Persona 5 development.

Coxy

Sony, Nintendo or Koei-tecmo seem the most likely candidates right now

please not GungHo, they ruined gamearts :(

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
No, but Persona Pachinko should be a worthy replacement.

That actually already exists! You can watch a Japanese promotional video for it here, with the pachinko-specific content appearing about 1:25 in. The unique theme song that Meguro composed for it actually isn't half bad for pachinko fare in my book, although from experience of living near a pachinko parlor, that's not exactly a hard standard to top.

Current management, allegedly. Civil rehabilitation exists so they can put a plan (anything from a relaxed payment schedule to payment in stock to court-appointed management) before the creditors and the court to keep Index on the up-and-up.
They only plan that matters is them selling the Atlus assets.

Kasumin

Just when I was starting to get into the Etrian Odyssey series... What about Etrian Odyssey Untold?!

This really is a shame, though. But I'm seeing from some other comments in this thread that Index will likely be restructured and won't close down? (I think I have that right.) I hope that's the case.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm pretty sure Persona 5 was just about ready to show. If we don't get P5 in the next year or two...holy fuck what a shitty situation.

Not to mention who knows what will happen to the rest of Megaten...

FFFFFUUUUUCKKKKUUUUU

Tizoc

To quote a market research firm's English-language FAQ about the procedure...

The tl;dr is that it's definitely a reorganization, rather than liquidation or absorption. Index will continue operating, under the ownership of some combination of current management and current creditors. Think, say, GM or Chrysler.
Hmm would that be like 'Too big to fall/fail'?

ash_ag

Gaf:
AWXyY4q.gif

When, this is half-GAF watching the other half burning.

Hope everything goes already. :(

GungHo may be a good candidate. It probably shouldn't be one of the big three for the good of the realm.

Squire

Banned
Well, if this is gonna happen and Atlus gets screwed over, can we at least get SMT4 out? :(

It may be childish, but because we know NOTHING about P5, if that's cancelled, I don't think I would be sad at all. The moment we learned anything about the game, it would be a different story.

Well... One could guess they'll be talking soon.

Court documents bring out all the skeletons.

Kouriozan

It's sad, we're finally getting some Atlus love in Europe and then they are about to die?!
Surely Nintendo won't buy them, they don't really need a studio making niche games. Maybe Square? Ouch...

I think I will start to bring together an ATLUS appreciation/mourning thread right now. We need to look back at all the awesome years of gaming.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
They're already split tho

The franchise isn't. It wouldn't make sense for them to end up in different places when they share assets.

Hopefully if the reorganization isn't enough they end up with an independent 3rd party.

Soulflarz

Banned
The franchise isn't. It wouldn't make sense for them to end up in different places when they share assets.

Hopefully if the reorganization isn't enough they end up with an independent 3rd party.
Yeah

Wouldnt that be very awkward
I mean they even share demons

Then again, if the split happens and both groups keep mara "as is" in SMT and Persona, id die laughing over a lawsuit due to "similarities"

AniHawk

i really really really really really really don't see nintendo buying atlus. they don't just go out and buy companies. it's just not their style. however, if we look back at the last two years, they've been putting a lot of their franchise games, mainly the smt games, on the ds and 3ds. only persona goes on the psp/vita. meanwhile on consoles, it's the opposite: nintendo gets none of the atlus games while ps3/360 get persona 4: arena and catherine. on the other hand, those are really the only two franchises from atlus proper that i'm aware of.

Kyon

Banned
Tecmo is still kinda iffy on their support of their RPGs in the west. They are getting a bit better, but their treatment of Ayesha and Totori+ is a bit worrisome.

Ok now im confused.. didnt they buy Aterlier? or am i thinking of something else?

SparkTR

I hope this doesn't set the tone for the coming generation, it seems like companies are going down left and right (THQ,CAVE now Atlus).

You guys, SMT and Persona aren't going to die, they are just gonna have a new home. (Hopefully at the same address.)

Ok now im confused.. didnt they buy Aterlier? or am i thinking of something else?
They own Gust, and as such, the Atelier series. But when the last two games were released in the West, TK USA didn't really handle either that well. (Lazy localization for Ayesha, and literally zero promotion for Totori+. Like it actually appeared out of nowhere on the PSN store.)

Meruru+ seems to be getting a bit more attention so hopefully they've learned their lesson, but I don't think I want Tecmo's design philosophy mixing with Atlus, or their spotty record for localization quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom