• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) under criminal investigation for fraudulent accounting

True, Nintendo is usually not one to just absorb companies like that (although, how did they get a hold of Monolith anyway?). But if Atlus pulls a THQ, this would be a different scenario from the other two. In Factor 5's case, they kinda screwed their reputation with Lair something fierce (and didn't necessarily need Factor 5 to release Star Wars games). In Silicon Knights' case, by the time buying Silicon Knights was feasible, Too Human already happened and I don't know if a company would touch the legal miasma Dyack got the company into with a ten-foot pole. And as acclaimed as Eternal Darkness was, that was still some years ago with no real way to see how viable the IP is currently.

Compare that to Atlus, which has recently proven the success of Persona/MegaTen, including on their own platforms.

But again, the exact same argument can be made for the benefit in Sony getting them for Persona. If things go south, any way for them to still develop their own games in the ways they see fit is the best scenario.

Didn't Sony have a chance to buy Square? I'm not sure if they did but I remember them doing something with square after that movie bombed. If they didn't buy square, I can't imagine them buying atlus. Vita did benefit a lot from P4G in japan though. Sony doesn't really have any decent Japanese studios either. Is buying atlus something that scej could do on their own or is that something that yoshida would have to decide?

Jamix012

I don't know why people always wish for platform holders to buy great developers...

Oh wait, I do.

I can understand in both cases. I'm trying to think of a dev that hasn't put out better content (or at least similar standard in the case of Monolith Soft) when being bought out by Sony or Ninty.

Can't wait for a SMT game as told by Nomura and Toriyama.
2ec520676c53b91a11177e6f49cf3cd3.gif

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That has not worked out fantasticly well for Gamearts :(

Vita fans have a bone to pick with you. :p

But really, I don't think where GameArts ended up with them was for the worse since the company it-self seem to be heading in a different direction before being acquired. Grasshopper and Acquire seem to be continuing to do what what they were before too, so I doubt GungHo would change things with Atlus.

I don't think that there are many companies would let Atlus continue with the teams and projects they have, but hopefully they can find one.

Bebpo

Banned
Well, at least if SMTIV is the last megaten related game we can say the series went out on a high note!

Persona 5 ;_;

Verendus

Banned
I wonder how bad this is going to get. I hope it's not a worst case scenario. If this was about a year from now, I think there would be a good chance of SCE acquiring Atlus; they have certain interests with them right now, and they're in the process of gearing up for various things for which they're going to need talent. I'll be interested to see how their projects are affected by this. This really couldn't possibly be happening at a worse time. What a mess.

Amir0x

Banned
someone needs to start a kickstarter to buy Atlus if it goes on the market

can you start a kickstarter for that? because I needs my Atlus games in this industry. I just fucking can't be in an industry without Atlus. :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wonder how bad this is going to get. I hope it's not a worst case scenario. If this was about a year from now, I think there would be a good chance of SCE acquiring Atlus; they have certain interests with them right now, and they're in the process of gearing up for various things for which they're going to need talent. I'll be interested to see how their projects are affected by this. This really couldn't possibly be happening at a worse time. What a mess.

You do realize they have a project with Nintendo right?

I seriously doubt most people that aren't diehard fanboys really want to see Atlus end up as a first party subsidiary.

Remember when the Atlus PR Twitter account tweeted right after the news broke that they will still be releasing all announced titles and that the Dragon's Crown demo events starting this weekend will continue without any issues?

Well it looks like they've now posted an update that the first Dragon's Crown demo event this Sunday in Tokyo has been delayed indefinitely "due to various circumstances". There is no actual reason given, and the site still claims that the remaining events (the next one is the following weekend) will take place as scheduled.

This could be completely unrelated and just a really bad coincidence. Or... itshappening.gif :(

Welp.

VMWQDMD.gif

Verendus

Banned
You do realize they have a project with Nintendo right?

I seriously doubt most people that aren't diehard fanboys really want to see Atlus end up as a first party subsidiary.
I really don't see what that has to do with anything I said to be honest.

JokerAceX

I'm just curious in this case with Atlus being the publisher of Dragon's Crown, what would happen if Atlus is unable to release the game? Does Vanillaware just go to another publisher or is Dragon's Crown just lost in limbo at that point?

can you start a kickstarter for that? because I needs my Atlus games in this industry. I just fucking can't be in an industry without Atlus. :(

I am sure Marvelous is already moving on the rights. It makes the most sense out of everyone.

I do wonder if they will just buy the rights or take the teams as well. (How many are there again? 3 or just 2?)

Tamanon

Banned
What interest would SCE have with Atlus when they'll be working on a Wii U game with Nintendo?

Well, this would probably happen closer to its release. And I don't think Sony sees the Wii U as actual competition for this coming generation.

cj_iwakura

I am sure Marvelous is already moving on the rights. It makes the most sense out of everyone.

I do wonder if they will just buy the rights or take the teams as well. (How many are there again? 3 or just 2?)

Atlus typically has two teams, but I could be wrong. One does portable projects, and the A team is on stuff like P4 and P5. The last project they did was Catherine.

mooooose

Atlus is one of the three companies left that I like, so that would suck dick.

Persona 5 never coming out would literally kill me. I would feel emptier inside.

duckroll

I'm just curious in this case with Atlus being the publisher of Dragon's Crown, what would happen if Atlus is unable to release the game? Does Vanillaware just go to another publisher or is Dragon's Crown just lost in limbo at that point?

Vanillaware does not own the rights to the game. Previously Ignition did, but Index bought the rights from Ignition and took over as publisher for the game, funding the rest of development. If they are unable to release the game for whatever reason, an interested publisher would have to purchase those rights from Index in order to release the game.

Vamphuntr

Kickstarting a company makes little sense :S Even if you manage to buy the company you need money to operate it. Employees won't work for free.

I think they're still technically the same IP. I imagine we wouldn't see a breakup of Jack Frost and Pyro Jack.

I'm suddenly imagining them auctioning off their demon designs separately, like what Marvel did all those years ago. Company A gets to use Bishamonten and the other Devas, company B gets to use Ongyo-ki and his pals...

Haha, this is...I...I don't....

I couldn't ask for a better end to our journey on the P5 hypetrain. If this is how it ends, I will laugh so hard.

Famitsu's teaser "Next issue, details on that well-known company in crisis...!"

This is a really embarrassing post. No, it's not the case that a single arguably poor but also explainable decision by Atlus USA suggests that its parent company would be involved in massive and systematic stock fraud. I get it, you only entered the thread to grind your axe.

it was a jab at whoever makes the decisions. it doesn't matter where the culprit is. i'm not the only one who got bad vibes off their behavior this past year. something is fishy, and you can smell the stink from miles away.

^What about Team Maniax and P Studio?

I would be okay with SMT fans getting the last laugh.

Two? No way.

I never would have imagined a scenario where SMTIV, let alone a non Persona game, would have the chance to be the final game in the series. The fact that it could be a remote possibility is odd and interesting.

FluxWaveZ

Two? No way these days.

Yeah, I don't think it's as clear cut as that. They've worked on a large amount of products at once, I believe, and I think people tend to underestimate just how large Atlus is as a development company.

It is for this reason, their experience in game development and their highly received catalog of games that I think whatever happens, Atlus will come out alright at the end of this.

Watashiwa

Wow, things are really not looking good for Index/Atlus. I'm wondering what's going to happen to the titles that they announced but didn't put a date on--Break Record for example.

To be, it depends on how fractured the Persona and the Devil Survivor/SMT market is.

If there's not a ton of overlap, a Sony acquisition might make perfect sense as a way to at least help keep Vita afloat. It depends on how much of that JRPG market hasn't bought the machine yet.
Sony's never bought a Japanese developer and I doubt they're about to start now. Japan isn't a market SCEWWS seems at all interested in really investing in.

Soriku

Sony's never bought a Japanese developer and I doubt they're about to start now. Japan isn't a market SCEWWS seems at all interested in really investing in.

Doesn't stop people from continuing to say that Sony (or Nintendo) should buy this company or that company...ugh. Really annoying. I'm all for them starting new teams up but leave independent companies like Atlus alone.

Doesn't stop people from continuing to say that Sony (or Nintendo) should buy this company or that company...ugh. Really annoying. I'm all for them starting new teams up but leave independent companies like Atlus alone.
Agreed, the Nintendo suggestions are almost as bad. At least no one's suggested Microsoft yet.

Top Bottom